Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Gsync will match refresh timing to frame timing whenever possible. Obviously that means increased smoothness/reduced stutter as well as reduced latency. Also, it obviously can't work if frames are coming faster than they can be displayed, which is why you're stuck with normal vsync or nosync behavior in that scenario. There really isn't a lower bound, because while your monitor might not be capable of a refresh rate below say 48hz, what will happen is that if you're getting 45 FPS your GPU will just send every frame twice and the monitor will sync at 90hz. So especially for non-competitive games you can feel free to play around and run whatever settings match your personal preference for combination of framerate + image quality. While you might not be caring so much about latency in those situations, the big benefit is the improved frame pacing. 45 FPS on a 60hz monitor with vsync on means frame to frame pacing of 33.4 and 16.7ms alternating, which is a pretty juddery experience. VRR means you'll be consistently seeing new frames about every 22.2ms, which is much more tolerable. So the answer to the "how low can I go" question is more "how low should I go" and that's going to be heavily based on the type of game you're playing and your personal tolerance for low framerates.

You do have another option when you're becoming GPU bound, especially for competitive games, and that is to limit your framerate to something you can always put out. If you're playing a game and GPU load is frequently dropping you down to around 110 FPS, you can cap that game to 110 or 105 and at least your input latency and frame pacing will be consistent, and you can avoid the latency penalty from being GPU bound. It's one of those things that's rarely likely to be applicable but you can play around with it and see if it feels right to you in a specific situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

While I'm waiting for my monitor to get back in stock and get shipped, do we also have a computer desk thread? I really want at some point to get an L or corner desk where it's rounded in (not sure how to say that in English) like the cubicule I had at work before they switched with open floor plans and benching (on top of the open floor, every one is sitting on top of each other like school). Something sturdy not like an Ikea thing with just feet with like a plank on top.

I wish I was handy and had the drive to make a computer room like you see on youtube or in pictures where people build custom desks, walls, RGB/ambiant lighting that rocks, whole themes, etc...

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Post your actual desktop. Plenty of good setups and a few goony caves to use as inspiration.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

Are there any other 4K HFR displays other than the LG that I ought to know about/that have been announced? Ideally with HDMI 2.1?

Asus has announced a PG43UQ successor with HDMI 2.1. No announcement about final specs but if it's anything like PG43UQ then

- Freesync
- HDR1000 (edge lit zones)
- VA (particularly bad smearing)
- BGR subpixel layout (may or may not have blurry text)
- 120hz with 144hz OC
- more expensive than an LG OLED

Rollie Fingers posted:

I took the plunge and upgraded from a 34" ultrawide to the LG 38GL950G and my reaction so far has been: :captainpop:

The extra real estate is perfect. Fills my FOV far better than even a 34" ultrawide.
The vignetting at the very top of the screen is a bit disappointing, but I can live with it. I don't think I'll ever need/want a monitor bigger than this and I can't go back to anything smaller.

hell yeah :getin:

Jeff Fatwood fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Sep 28, 2020

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
Hey guys, I'm in need of a new monitor since the one I use as my main right now is on its last legs. My computer is about a year old, with a Nvidia rtx 2060 and an i5-9600K, so hoping for a monitor that can push some FPS at least. I also have pretty limited space for the monitor, so looking at a 24" or maybe a 27". Can someone recommend something that would fit? Not looking to kill my bank account here, but doesn't necessarily have to super budget either.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Asus has announced a PG43UQ successor with HDMI 2.1. No announcement about final specs but if it's anything like PG43UQ then

- Freesync
- 120hz with 144hz OC

hell yeah :getin:

Why not just get the LG at that point

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Scarecow posted:

Why not just get the LG at that point

:shrug:

For me personally the LG CX 48" isn't interesting since it's not a monitor, it's way huge and will likely burn-in over a five year period when used with a PC. It's kind of funny how LG is now marketing it as a gaming PC monitor.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Jeff Fatwood posted:

- Freesync
- 120hz with 144hz OC

Will there ever be a 42/43" 4k monitor with IPS and none of these horrible tradeoffs? Ugh, that's all I want.

The 48" LG CX is just too loving big.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'd even take a 32" pleeeeaaaase

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Not necessarily the case now with the Samsung G7/G9 having responsive VA panels, but I don't know if Samsung is supplying that panel tech to third party integrators yet.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

space marine todd posted:

Will there ever be a 42/43" 4k monitor with IPS and none of these horrible tradeoffs? Ugh, that's all I want.

The 48" LG CX is just too loving big.

No. IPS is not capable of the contrast levels necessary to support proper HDR. That said, the best VA is finally becoming somewhat decent, so maybe there's an outside shot that some of these upcoming VA-based HDR monitors being good - but until reviews prove otherwise, expect that they're going to be close to as bad as the previous generation that no one liked.

Everything is going to be severe compromises for probably the next decade. We need to get the hell off LCDs, until that happens there's no good solution.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

repiv posted:

Not necessarily the case now with the Samsung G7/G9 having responsive VA panels, but I don't know if Samsung is supplying that panel tech to third party integrators yet.

That would be the dream but I'm resigned to them just still using that same garbage AUO VA BGR panel every 43" +120hz monitor has been using for years.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I could get a LG 27GL850-B for less than 70€ the normal price thanks to my job, so I jumped the trigger. I have right now a 8 years old Dell 24" (solid but old and decidedly not-gaming focused lol), so I should see a nice jump in everything: size, refresh rate, gsync, lag, etc.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Turin Turambar posted:

I could get a LG 27GL850-B for less than 70€ the normal price thanks to my job, so I jumped the trigger. I have right now a 8 years old Dell 24" (solid but old and decidedly not-gaming focused lol), so I should see a nice jump in everything: size, refresh rate, gsync, lag, etc.

You're in for a treat for sure. I'm very very happy with mine.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Sjonkel posted:

Hey guys, I'm in need of a new monitor since the one I use as my main right now is on its last legs. My computer is about a year old, with a Nvidia rtx 2060 and an i5-9600K, so hoping for a monitor that can push some FPS at least. I also have pretty limited space for the monitor, so looking at a 24" or maybe a 27". Can someone recommend something that would fit? Not looking to kill my bank account here, but doesn't necessarily have to super budget either.

Just realized you got ignored. I would say you've got basically three options :

Another 1080p 60hz IPS for $100ish
A 24" 1080p 144hz IPS Freesync for $170ish
A 27" 1440p 144hz IPS Freesync for $380ish

And like I do every time I'm going to try to convince you that the latter option is the best buy, especially in terms of how it matches up with your system spending habits, and you should set up a nowinstock alert for the LG 27GL83A on Amazon and buy one for $380 as soon as you can. There are like 50 goons who have bought one of them over the past year and probably 48 of them are very happy with it. It will come sooner than they say it will. If that's juuust a bit much for you, there are also often some options around $330 that certainly aren't bad.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

K8.0 posted:

And like I do every time I'm going to try to convince you that the latter option is the best buy, especially in terms of how it matches up with your system spending habits, and you should set up a nowinstock alert for the LG 27GL83A on Amazon and buy one for $380 as soon as you can. There are like 50 goons who have bought one of them over the past year and probably 48 of them are very happy with it. It will come sooner than they say it will. If that's juuust a bit much for you, there are also often some options around $330 that certainly aren't bad.

I mean poo poo, it was telling me that restocking was like a month+ out so I bought a 27GL850-B from Best Buy (essentially the same panel but with useless HDR stuff and a higher price, though I got it for marginally less than Amazon), and then the 27GL83A restocked a day later and I'm still extremely happy with my purchasing decision

they're very good monitors

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

lovely HDR is still better than no HDR. It's just a poor value.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.
Since upgrading to a 2070 super I’m looking for a 34” ultrawide 1440 with gsync. Is the dell AW3420DW still the best thing in town for under £1000

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

No, because it's still the old gsync module and thus limited to 120hz at best (and over 105hz may be unreliable). The LG 34GN850 is definitely better, Freesync so no vendor lock, 144-160hz, significantly better response times and less overshoot, better factory calibration. In that price range it's definitely the best ultrawide for gaming.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

You guys were right about the shipping dates on these things. I'll be getting my LG 27GL83A-B tomorrow despite it saying to expect it at the end of next month on the storefront. I'm really excited! Time to retire this good ol' 12 year old monitor.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Jimbot posted:

You guys were right about the shipping dates on these things. I'll be getting my LG 27GL83A-B tomorrow despite it saying to expect it at the end of next month on the storefront. I'm really excited! Time to retire this good ol' 12 year old monitor.

Are you in Canada? Was this with Amazon Ca? I'M asking because I pre-ordered on the 22nd and I remember someone else in this thread doing the same thing after me... I kind of hope it's not you because mine is still in limbo with Oct 20 - Nov 20 estimate.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm in the US. I hope you don't have to wait too long. For my situation, I wouldn't have minded the wait since I won't be getting the most out of this monitor (though it will be a straight upgrade). I'm building a new PC and since the 3080 is really hard to get ahold of and I want to wait and see what the AMD Zen 3s offer, getting the thing at the end of next month wouldn't have been a big deal.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
Whats the difference between 27GL83A and the 27GL850 apart form the 83A being amazon exclusive?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the 850 has a USB hub and the 83A doesn't

otherwise they're by all accounts identical

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

repiv posted:

the 850 has a USB hub and the 83A doesn't

otherwise they're by all accounts identical

It goes over my head but the 850 has a different Color Gamut but I didn't go deep enough to really find what the difference is.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Hemish posted:

It goes over my head but the 850 has a different Color Gamut but I didn't go deep enough to really find what the difference is.

Both monitors have identical panels inside (LM270WQA-SSA1), LG just chooses not to market the cheaper version the same way. There are lots of other monitors out there with the same panel with varying driverboards, software, and prices, but the same basic color and motion capabilities, specifically:

LG 27GL850
LG 27GL83A
LG 27GN850
ViewSonic XG270GQ
Lenovo Y27Q-20
AOC AG273QXP
Dell S2721DGF (technically a different panel variant, but the specs seem identical?)
Acer CP3271U
Philips 275M1RZ
HP Omen 27i
Eve Spectrum QHD
Gigabyte G27Q
MSI PAG272QR
MSI PAG272QR2 (maybe? claims to have quantum dot?)

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

K8.0 posted:

No, because it's still the old gsync module and thus limited to 120hz at best (and over 105hz may be unreliable). The LG 34GN850 is definitely better, Freesync so no vendor lock, 144-160hz, significantly better response times and less overshoot, better factory calibration. In that price range it's definitely the best ultrawide for gaming.

Does free sync actually work with nvidia cards. I have a previous 60fps LG with free sync and honestly turning it on seems to make no difference at all

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Nvidia enabled Freesync support on 10 series and newer cards in January 2019. Good freesync monitors work perfectly. Bad ones may not work at all. At 60hz you at best wouldn't see much impact because the refresh window is too narrow to be very useful, and the support the monitor itself has for varying refresh rate is probably very poor.

Even the most impressive G-Sync monitor out today (the LG 38GL950G), which is based on a newer and superior g-sync module, is at least equaled and in some ways outperformed by it's newer Freesync cousin (the 38GN950). Every 1440p monitor based on the old G-sync module gets smoked by the best Freesync monitors, because there's almost no effort going into G-sync anymore because of the huge extra BOM of a big FPGA in every monitor. And the Gsync module has always been a buggy and unreliable piece of dogshit, being free of it is a good thing even if a lot of otherwise good Freesync monitors don't have particularly good low-refresh overdrive tuning.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Solly posted:

Does free sync actually work with nvidia cards. I have a previous 60fps LG with free sync and honestly turning it on seems to make no difference at all

It does work with the 10xx cards and newer. At 60hz I'm not sure how much it would be kicking in, though, assuming you are able to push at least 60hz on average. Have you tried the Nvidia pendulum demo to check it out?

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

I can’t actually find the LG 34GN850 for sale in the UK. Is it an older model or just not released yet here?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

OCUK carries it but you'll have to wait for it to restock

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lg-3...-mo-15l-lg.html

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

I’m also a sucker for an up sell, would the 38GN950 be any good with a 2070s? And if so which variant is the best. I can get the gsync version £200 cheaper than the free sync variant. There also seems to be a B version but I can’t find out what this means.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Solly posted:

I’m also a sucker for an up sell, would the 38GN950 be any good with a 2070s? And if so which variant is the best. I can get the gsync version £200 cheaper than the free sync variant. There also seems to be a B version but I can’t find out what this means.

The GN is the newer model that has HDR600 rather than 400 (but still not the best for HDR) also is fanless whereas there is a fan in the GL which seems mostly fine but there are some noise reports.

Is that Dell 27 the same panel as the LG? I gotta say I've seen the LG a lot and recommended a lot but never seen the Dell 27 IPS

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

-B or -W on LG monitors just means it's black or white.

If you're going to spend that kind of money, like five times as much as a normal monitor for marginal benefits, then you may as well buy an LG CX 48" and a 3080. Even higher res, and OLED is light years ahead of any monitor. If your budget is that insane and the advantages are as huge as they are (enormous, response times are an order of magnitude or more faster, contrast is basically infinite, no backlight bleed or glow) and people aren't seeing any significant burnout on C9s, why not just get one and not be foolish with it?

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002
I want to update my WFH setup from two Dell U2412Ms to a single monitor solution. Debating between 27/28" or 32" UHD/4k, or 27" 1440p. This is purely for Excel, word processing, etc. I sit/stand 2-3' from the monitor, and though my desk is small I think it could handle the 32" without being ridiculous. Budget is under $500 so I'm probably looking at a used or VA in the 32" range, but I think that would be fine for my use case (nothing color sensitive). Any thoughts or recommendations?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

K8.0 posted:

If you're going to spend that kind of money, like five times as much as a normal monitor for marginal benefits, then you may as well buy an LG CX 48" and a 3080. Even higher res, and OLED is light years ahead of any monitor. If your budget is that insane and the advantages are as huge as they are (enormous, response times are an order of magnitude or more faster, contrast is basically infinite, no backlight bleed or glow) and people aren't seeing any significant burnout on C9s, why not just get one and not be foolish with it?

How far do you think someone would need to sit from a 48" for it to be comfortable? For reference, I guess, I'm slightly more than an arm's-length away from my 3440x1440 (I assume it's 34")

thiazi posted:

I want to update my WFH setup from two Dell U2412Ms to a single monitor solution. Debating between 27/28" or 32" UHD/4k, or 27" 1440p. This is purely for Excel, word processing, etc. I sit/stand 2-3' from the monitor, and though my desk is small I think it could handle the 32" without being ridiculous. Budget is under $500 so I'm probably looking at a used or VA in the 32" range, but I think that would be fine for my use case (nothing color sensitive). Any thoughts or recommendations?

I can't overstate 4k enough for Excel, etc. if you like screen real estate. 4x 1080p windows, two tall side-by-side windows, two VERY WIDE horizontal windows, or one really big fuckin' spreadsheet.

At 27", I certainly don't regret my purchase, but the text can be a touch small, depending on how tired I am or whatever I guess. I've gotten pretty used to it, though. I assume 32" may be more comfortable, but I've not been able to physically confirm that. I will say that I believe the thread said that 32" isn't as common as 27", so finding something in that space might be slightly more difficult.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I swear the text size is pretty much the same between my 1080p 24" and my 1440p 27", but I haven't done a serious side-by-side comparison.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012

K8.0 posted:

Appreciate your response. The LG 27GL83A is probably a little more expensive than what I had in mind, but then again the monitors I have now are almost 10 years old, so the price isn't too bad with that in mind. I've also understood that the 2060 can handle Freesync, even if it's AMD technology?

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

K8.0 posted:

-B or -W on LG monitors just means it's black or white.

As tempting as that is, I need to work on this monitor , I’ll have square eyes sitting that close to this beast.

It doesn’t have to be bleeding edge, i just want something to make the most out of having a 2070s, I’m replacing an old 60hz lg 34”ultrawide.

requirements so far
100hz+
Free sync / gsync that actually works (GPU is nvidia so i guess either is fine)
34”
21:9

The 34GN850 looks good in all regards, but isnt in stock here at the moment. Is there anything else I should be looking at for IPS panels? There don’t seem to many that have been released recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Sjonkel posted:

Appreciate your response. The LG 27GL83A is probably a little more expensive than what I had in mind, but then again the monitors I have now are almost 10 years old, so the price isn't too bad with that in mind. I've also understood that the 2060 can handle Freesync, even if it's AMD technology?

It's more that some freesync monitors are 'gsync compatible'. Nvidia cards can't do freesync. Some freesync monitors can do gsync. It's a small difference but an important one when you're making purchasing decisions.