Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I would not work the hours junior lawyers have to work for pretty much any amount of money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

qirex posted:

I would not work the hours junior lawyers have to work for pretty much any amount of money
yeah, targets are like 1500-1800 hours, +400-500 no charge hours logged. it is a total gently caress and is especially tough this year i bet

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Uptime Sinclair posted:

+400-500 no charge hours logged.

fucks sake how many industries would collapse if everyone collectively worked to rule? (almost all of them)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

what's the ratio of billable hours to actual hours worked? because 1500 hours + 500 unpaid hours, while lovely for the unpaid quarter, is just a regular 40 hour work week

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Sagebrush posted:

what's the ratio of billable hours to actual hours worked? because 1500 hours + 500 unpaid hours, while lovely for the unpaid quarter, is just a regular 40 hour work week
depends on practice area and type of work, and also your years of experience and billing rate. and other things

did you bring in the business or did a more senior lawyer? if you didn’t, you’re kicking 10-20% of your billings on that file to them, before all else

is the client an institutional one, like an insurance company, who negotiated a rate cheaper than your normal one in exchange for volume? there’s another 10-20% haircut

is the billable activity one that has a firm-wide cap, like no more than one hour to do a pleading no matter how long it actually takes to do competently? or are you providing a flat fee service, or working on contingency?

then there’s your own inefficiency (or prudence so you don’t get sued for malpractice), and mandatory continuing legal education, and further study to keep up on developments in particular areas. some big firms mandate public service, pro bono and community associations like sitting on bords

all of this constantly changing but it’s pretty much never going to be as good as 1:1 (consistently) but if your hourly rate gets up there it doesn’t have to be. it’s rarely worse than 1:2 (billed:worked) but it can be especially if you’re not able to pick up 0.1s (minimal billable unit) on short emails or w/e

once you get up there you can farm out work to juniors with cheaper billing rates and you can take a cut of their billings because you brought in the business. or you can work your own stuff but with more experience you get access to more complicated multi-party stuff that has lots of 0.1 bullshit to do

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

e: looks like trial next year. july 2021.

lol that epic sabotoaged the most popular game on the most popular platform in the US just to get kicked off and then sit around with their thumbs up their rear end for a year to see if they get reinstated

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

NoneMoreNegative posted:

fucks sake how many industries would collapse if everyone collectively worked to rule? (almost all of them)
there’s a reason a lot of lawyers go into politics. you make very good money if you’re both good at the business of it, and also somewhat lucky. you’ll survive reasonably well if you only have one or the other. otherwise it’s an expensive way to destroy your soul and life simultaneously

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

FCKGW posted:

lol that epic sabotoaged the most popular game on the most popular platform in the US just to get kicked off and then sit around with their thumbs up their rear end for a year to see if they get reinstated

lmao pwned

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FCKGW posted:

it’s not the most popular platform for them, in fact it’s the least popular one they don’t control

they could’ve pulled this stunt on PlayStation or Xbox but instead only did it on mobile. I wonder why :thunk:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

it’s not the most popular platform for them, in fact it’s the least popular one they don’t control

they could’ve pulled this stunt on PlayStation or Xbox but instead only did it on mobile. I wonder why :thunk:

I suspect mobile is much more profitable than console however

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

for fortnite? I actually doubt it

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

hobbesmaster posted:

for fortnite? I actually doubt it

its real easy to rack up hundreds in iap on ios. enough so that it was worth going to war with apple over 30%.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
lol @ av/av reply chain

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Mobile seems like a really crappy platform to play an FPS on

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Maximo Roboto posted:

Mobile seems like a really crappy platform to play an FPS on

this but honestly any sort of game

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

it’s alright for chess

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

you must build a boat was good

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

yes, this app environment which is one of two viable choices and is basically a requirement to participate in society is just like a playstation. this device that will basically be mandatory for everything from flying on a plane to paying for parking is just like an xbox that is used only for games. hmm yes let me text my friends their concert passes from my nintendo switch.

not that I'm on epic's side, they're both being assholes. i guess we can just ken watanabe it up while we wait for an eventual judicial ruling after all the appeals that will probably establish a completely asinine precedent that will haunt us forever

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

DuckConference posted:

judicial ruling that will probably establish a completely asinine precedent that will haunt us forever

that is the only thing we can be sure of in all this

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I enjoy using ue34 and satisfcactory is made in ue4 and I dont want epic to have to shut down my enjoyable game because tim cook cant see the wood for his nose

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

DuckConference posted:

yes, this app environment which is one of two viable choices and is basically a requirement to participate in society is just like a playstation. this device that will basically be mandatory for everything from flying on a plane to paying for parking is just like an xbox that is used only for games. hmm yes let me text my friends their concert passes from my nintendo switch.

not that I'm on epic's side, they're both being assholes. i guess we can just ken watanabe it up while we wait for an eventual judicial ruling after all the appeals that will probably establish a completely asinine precedent that will haunt us forever

i don't understand what this post is complaining about. a walled garden for software on a device is not a bad thing. i don't know how anyone can look at the shitshow that is software distribution on android and think "yeah this is what i want for my device."

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Nice! posted:

i don't know how anyone can look at the shitshow that is software distribution on android and think "yeah this is what i want for my device."

im not sure what kind of proportion the vocal minority make up but there are at least dozens if not bakers dozens of people who want the ability to treat their phone like its their linux machines

its not that they want poo poo on their phones, they just want the choice

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they have the choice, they can pick up an android phone at any price point and absolutely go to town

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

echinopsis posted:

I enjoy using ue34 and satisfcactory is made in ue4 and I dont want epic to have to shut down my enjoyable game because tim cook cant see the wood for his nose

sounds like a certain gaming engine holds a monopoly. might have to break that up.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Mr. Nice! posted:

i don't understand what this post is complaining about. a walled garden for software on a device is not a bad thing. i don't know how anyone can look at the shitshow that is software distribution on android and think "yeah this is what i want for my device."

nerds that want to pirate anime

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

DuckConference posted:

that means it isn't a monopoly though, its just a product different from competitors that you want

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
"buh buh buh i want an android that doesn't suck" and it turns out that isn't an option and maybe there's a reason why apple's platform is appealing after all

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
cant they make a game garden in the phone

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
idk. i guess there’s plants vs. zombies or w/e

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
remember that amazon had their own android App Store that you can install on your phone. it turns out they immediately hosed app developers. but I’m sure epic won’t do that.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/misutaaurufu/status/1310641195132096512

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

infernal machines posted:

they have the choice, they can pick up an android phone at any price point and absolutely go to town

except they can't because google has the same IAP payment requirements for the Play Store. almost like there is a duopoly or something

Mr. Nice! posted:

you can have a walled garden without a requirement that every app uses your payment processor for all purchases within the app.

here I've come up with a solution that wipes out Epic's "30% isn't fair!" argument. To put your app in the App Store you must choose between: the current setup with free listing and downloads but all payments must go through Apple and the current 30% cut applies; or you are free to use your own payment processor but you must pay for everything Apple has to spend money to do. Apple meets b2b prices too like $500/hr for app review (minimum five hours, updates do not receive a discount), $1/TB for app/update distribution and install, $1k per month per 10k monthly active installs for each of location API access, advertising ID access, FaceID, etc (still subject to user choice to enable or not, default disabled). no free rides and I'm sure Cook can come up with some pricing structure that would will make him and Apple shareholders happy.

for small developers the current setup is a great deal, and for something popular that is a fairly small app, handles nearly all of its content delivery by itself, goes off subscription fees, and doesn't try to scape user info from every API imaginable (assuming they curb their addiction to weekly updates to A-B test poo poo) the later could make sense while still making sure Apple gets theirs for maintaining and improving the iOS platform.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

except they can't because google has the same IAP payment requirements for the Play Store. almost like there is a duopoly or something

Only if using their App Store, which you don’t have to do. Their complaint even says “but Google makes it too hard for normal people to download and install an APK!” :qqsay:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Shifty Pony posted:

It's easy to install 3rd party app stores on Android, and there's even a tech gorilla trying to make it easier: Amazon.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

nice

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

didn't epic originally require you to install their own app store to install fortnite?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Endless Mike posted:

didn't epic originally require you to install their own app store to install fortnite?

Yes, Fortnite was out of the Play Store for a while on Android, but they went back in.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

didnt spotify go “hey its cool if you wanna just subscribe through here, but if you use the website to subscribe we’d appreciate it”

its the easiest workaround

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

just like on the pc

apparently the epic store is not doing well on pc and most games they're buying exclusivity on are not meeting their guaranteed targets. the rumor was that control only sold about 100k copies on egs and they were guaranteed 150k, steamdb estimates that since the steam launch last month control has sold 100k-200k copies on that platform.

nobody likes epic's store platforms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

didnt spotify go “hey its cool if you wanna just subscribe through here, but if you use the website to subscribe we’d appreciate it”

its the easiest workaround

Apple forbids even mentioning being able to make a purchase outside of the App Store. no links, not even verbiage saying to “check out the website”.

you can see this with apps like Netflix that have no way to subscribe to the service in the app and don’t even tell you how to do it. there’s just a login box and you gotta figure the rest out yourself.