Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I'm just saying he steals the show.

I mean it too, Gnomeo is a mean little weenie about him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

FunkyAl posted:

I'm just saying he steals the show.

:what:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I don't think I watched Gnomeo and Juliet, but still I remember bits and pieces of it. Maybe I watched scenes on youtube? Maybe a review?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I only know that it has Gnomeo talk to a statue of William Shakespeare.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
also it ends with a dance party

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Thompsons posted:

also it ends with a dance party

There are several dance parties in the middle as well, at least in Sherlock Gnomes

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FunkyAl posted:

There are several dance parties in the middle as well, at least in Sherlock Gnomes

This is one of the weirdest trends in movies.. right up there with constant in-your-face piss and poo poo jokes and portals in the sky that unleash massive hoards of CGI enemies.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

paradoxGentleman posted:

I don't think I watched Gnomeo and Juliet, but still I remember bits and pieces of it. Maybe I watched scenes on youtube? Maybe a review?
It's kind of more clever than I assumed it would be since it relies heavily on Elton John music set to the Romeo and Juliet story.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

ThermoPhysical posted:

This is one of the weirdest trends in movies.. right up there with constant in-your-face piss and poo poo jokes and portals in the sky that unleash massive hoards of CGI enemies.

I'm pretty sure it's a really old thing. It's literally how a lot of musical theatre ends.

Also the ending shot where the protagonist leaps triumphantly, and freeze frame to credits, optional 'YEAH!'

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I remember being annoyed at Hotel Transylvania for ending in a dance party. I do not, however, remember how I felt about Hotel Transylvania as a whole. I remember seeing it, I remember the plot (mostly), I remember several scenes, but I don't remember what opinion I had of it except "god gently caress toilet humor forever".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

ThermoPhysical posted:

Also there was a meme recently about how Disney seems to have every vaguely related property involve the bad guy trying to open an interdimensional portal. (and beyond Disney counting She-Ra and a few other things)

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Hotel Transylvania would've been better if they didn't last hour introduce the "Zing" (some kind of monster true love indicator) - how about people just like each other without it being a True Love Forever thing?

the finale should've been a stronger 'let Mavis spread her wings' and not Dracula chasing down the guy so he didn't ruin her only chance at true love.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Look, in order for there to be a new Gnome movie they have to first think of a good gnome related pun for the title. Until that happens there can be no movie.

I'm sure the studios have their top scientist researching possibilities as we speak.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gnome Time To Die.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
There's No Place Like Gnome: A Wizard of Oz Story

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
"When in Gnome"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Gnome Alone

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The only acceptable dance party in a movie is Zootopia. They at LEAST worked up to it...sort of. It was more Gazelle was talked about and stuff and then had an impromptu concert but okay.

Also, sidenote about that, Gazelle's popstar name is the same as her species? That's like Beyonce calling herself "Human" instead of...well..Beyonce. It's kind of weird.

https://twitter.com/hulu/status/1310610361972936706?s=21

WELP.

We're back in the 90s, guys.

Alex without a mane was really jarring at first. I forgot lion cubs don't exactly have manes.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a really old thing. It's literally how a lot of musical theatre ends.

Also the ending shot where the protagonist leaps triumphantly, and freeze frame to credits, optional 'YEAH!'

Wasn't that like an 80s/early 90s thing?

Robindaybird posted:

Hotel Transylvania would've been better if they didn't last hour introduce the "Zing" (some kind of monster true love indicator) - how about people just like each other without it being a True Love Forever thing?

If there's one part about Hotel Transylvania that my roommate hates, it's THIS. The movie came out right around the time his mother died and hearing Adam Sandler and his hacky writers go on about "only having ONE TRUE LOVE EVER, that's it, no more. too bad." left a REALLY bad taste in his mouth.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Hell, Sabrina the Teenage Witch avoided that in the 90s - in the finale to the penultimate season she sacrifices her love life to save Hilda, and it's not just harvey she loses - every guy she ever fell in love with finds a reason to abandon her, in a massive parade of "Welp, your gonna die alone" - she had at least 4 true loves, although only one properly counted as a soulmate. I guess the distinction is soulmates go both ways, while you can truly love someone who doesn't necessarily feel the same way.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

FilthyImp posted:

Gnome Alone

This exists already as an unrelated Netflix film and is actually not 100% terrible.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The only acceptable dance party is Trolls

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

PierreTheMime posted:

This exists already as an unrelated Netflix film and is actually not 100% terrible.

Yeah, this was on of Cinesite's first features. They're gonna be animating a lot of second-tier animated features in the coming years due to this new partnership:
https://www.cartoonbrew.com/feature...res-196171.html

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

An animated followup/adaption to/of Blazing Saddles? hoo boy, good loving luck dudes

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 28, 2020

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

An animated followup/adaption to/of Blazing Saddles? hoo boy, good loving luck dudes

You have no idea. This film was being made back in 2015, and the studio making it poached most of the best animators I worked with to come to Toronto to work on it. A year later the studio was forced into receivership, locking all the employees out of the office. The entire film was then scrapped while the investors tried to get their money back or raise more to finish the film. 5 years later, they had the money and commissioned Cinesite to work on the second version.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
gnome country for old men

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ccs posted:

You have no idea. This film was being made back in 2015, and the studio making it poached most of the best animators I worked with to come to Toronto to work on it. A year later the studio was forced into receivership, locking all the employees out of the office. The entire film was then scrapped while the investors tried to get their money back or raise more to finish the film. 5 years later, they had the money and commissioned Cinesite to work on the second version.
this is still for adults though right. like i'm sure it's going to be a trainwreck but they ain't trying to adapt blazing saddles for kids are they

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

fauna posted:

gnome country for old men

That's the one, begin filming immediately.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Rocky Horror Picture Gnome

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

https://twitter.com/ralphbakshi/status/1310731963590991872

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Gorgeous, I really need to make time to rewatch his movies.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Gorgeous, I really need to make time to rewatch his movies.
he's been painting up a storm lately, which is really great to see in a man of years. wizard of my heart

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Gnome On The Range

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Has anybody seen the Lupin movie? Is it good? Where does it ‘rank’ among the Lupin-verse?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Has anybody seen the Lupin movie? Is it good? Where does it ‘rank’ among the Lupin-verse?

Nobody cared when I posted about it a few weeks ago :negative:

Hedrigall posted:

Lupin III The First is cool, it's like an Indiana Jones adventure. It feels like the Tin Tin movie but even wackier.

There's a pretty hosed up scene where a henchman gets crushed to death by an ancient sonic trap :magical:

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

the necrognomicon

gnomeback mountain

the last gnomicorn

yes this has been on my mind all day. i am suffering

UnintelGen
Sep 5, 2018

Wonderful 100, Capitalism fails again!

Team, engaging Unlimited Funds!

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I cannot personally give a full opinion because I have deliberately only watched about 20 mins of it (mostly waiting for the official English release, love the Geneon cast) but it's solid, if unremarkable, from what I've heard. It's very 'standard' Lupin affair, so much so it sounds like you'll have a better time if you, say, have watched less of the hundreds of TV specials and movies in the Lupin canon. Less a thief and more Indy from what I've heard. Jigen and Goemon are sidelined apparently. I've seen more positive talks in the run up to the international release, so maybe it's just the die hard fans who've consumed all of Lupin being 'it's OK'.
It's much more family friendly compared to most Lupin incarnations, which kinda disappointed me. Like, not for kids exactly, but not like Woman Called Fujiko or Mamo. Not exactly Miyazaki, still fairly 'Part 2-ish' which from the opening minutes will become very apparent. Big nostalgia drop at the beginning. Prob a PG- to PG 13 rating for violence and maybe scary situations

It's not a movie that'll set the world on fire, but it's a fine Lupin movie in shiny CG. It does what it needs to do. I liked what I saw in any case. (and have seen spoilers sadly)

It's a shame they're forcing a brief theater run during hell year, I'm real tempted to go... with the proper precautions of course. Will def be grabbing it in Dec

English trailer since it hasn't been posted:
https://youtu.be/6C2ZsWobs68

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

catching a glimpse of my haggard reflection in the laptop screen, eyes black and sunken, i whisper to myself, "the last gnomicorn"

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i'm aliiiiiiiiive

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kart Barfunkel posted:

As someone who has seen pretty much every Lupin movie I felt it was solid. Extremely safe script that is afraid of straying from the plot beats of many Lupin movies, but the CG is so well done & adds a lot of personality to it such that there's enough charm to compensate for most of the problems I had with the writing side of things.

If they make another movie in this style I hope they try taking a few risks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
If the first Gnome movie is Romeo and Juliet (1590's), and the second is Sherlock Holmes (1880's), then the third must obviously lampoon a piece of 2170's British fiction.

The Gnome of the Doctor