Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Copernic posted:

I disagree, I think she is earnestly horny for Sephiroths. Don't forget that the same kind of brooding overpowered jerk is the love interest in Broken Earth 1. Writers inserting Their Sex Thing into their books is the most ancient and time-honored of all SFF traditions and there's no reason Jemisin can't join in.

PS: whether or not to gently caress the Dark God is a perfectly good plot and I thought 100K was great. I don't know why 'generic court intrigue' is better than 'should i bang the lord of death'.

The series improves markedly book-over-book after the bodice ripper it starts with. She's not the first writer to start off writing romance and develop into a multi-Hugo winning powerhouse. Try her short story collection, How Long Til Black Future Month, there's some great stories in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

Copernic posted:

PS: whether or not to gently caress the Dark God is a perfectly good plot and I thought 100K was great. I don't know why 'generic court intrigue' is better than 'should i bang the lord of death'.
It is a perfectly good plot, but I felt a bit bait-and-switched. I got the book because the back cover suggested it was about court intrigue (I like generic court intrigue!) so I was kind of disappointed that it turned out to be 'should i bang the lord of death'. I read the second one, but never got to the third. Dreamblood was good though.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Has anyone read Harry Martinson’s Aniara? It’s apparently a long form sci-fi verse poem. I recently watched the 2018 Swedish film of the same name and loved it, trying to decide if I want to tackle a ~150 page poem.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Doctor Jeep posted:

nicely put, parker is one of my favorites but I admit he's a very cynical bastard

Disappointed idealist you mean.

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Has anyone read Harry Martinson’s Aniara? It’s apparently a long form sci-fi verse poem. I recently watched the 2018 Swedish film of the same name and loved it, trying to decide if I want to tackle a ~150 page poem.

Nope, but it made him kill himself after getting the Nobel prize. If you are looking for Swedish sci-fi writers I would recommend Kallocain by Karin Boye. Similar in theme to 1984 and published somewhere around WWII. She also killed herself.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Cardiac posted:

Nope, but it made him kill himself after getting the Nobel prize. If you are looking for Swedish sci-fi writers I would recommend Kallocain by Karin Boye. Similar in theme to 1984 and published somewhere around WWII. She also killed herself.

Thanks. I wasn’t aware he killed himself. Heavy stuff.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Thanks. I wasn’t aware he killed himself. Heavy stuff.

Well, I just checked and he killed himself 20 years after writing Aniara but 4 years after the Nobel prize.
My Swedish literature teacher would have been disappointed in me, but I have never cared much for the classics (despite having read a bunch of them)

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

PeterWeller posted:

Yeah, the book is wonderful and gorgeous. And now I know there is a TV movie I need to watch.

Weirdly enough the movie plot is based off The Dragon and the George, a completely unrelated book.

Also discovered it's in the internet archive here: https://archive.org/details/flightofdragons00dick

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Man, suicide over professional criticism of his Nobel, that’s such a bummer. God help the guy if he ever had to deal with Twitter. I mean it could hardly turn out worse but...y’know. :(

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Could we get a new thread title? This one isn't amusing to me and the genre megathread deserves better.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

SF&F Mega Thread 3: 400 page novellas

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

pradmer posted:

Two MR Carey standalone books - $1.99/$2.99
Fellside - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013HA6WAG/
Someone Like Me - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B88J71D/
Not sure if these are fantasy/sci-fi, but MR Carey is a good writer.

Fellside is straight horror. Someone Like Me is a thriller, but it should be in the wheelhouse of thread regulars anyway.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

StrixNebulosa posted:

Could we get a new thread title? This one isn't amusing to me and the genre megathread deserves better.

d'aww fiiiine suggest one

Gotta be funny tho

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Sci-fi Fantasy Megathread: part 3 of a 4-volume trilogy

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'm all for

pseudorandom name posted:

SF&F Mega Thread 3: 400 page novellas

I've been laughing about it since yesterday anyway

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i like 400 page novellas but it should be

SF&F Megathread 3: 400 page novellas

No needless spaces, no needless capitalization on "Thread' :colbert:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Also, I have wondered for a long time if it'd make sense to split this thread. It's by far and away the most active thread in TBB, I think it'd be kind of cool to split science fiction and fantasy. Most of the people who would have raged about it have quit the forums at this point.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
We could do a thread split. There are a few things to consider though:

1) there's a lot of overlap in the readership and in the genre itself, with a lot of works (eg star wars) fitting both categories, and i don't really want to police that division

2) the forum as a whole is getting much much less active than it used to be, mostly because people have shifted over to discord due to all the low tax stuff, and i don't really want to kneecap the most active thread right now for that reason.

Still if someone wanted to make a SF only thread and leave this for F we could give it a go

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

1) there's a lot of overlap in the readership and in the genre itself, with a lot of works (eg star wars) fitting both categories, and i don't really want to police that division

2) the forum as a whole is getting much much less active than it used to be, mostly because people have shifted over to discord due to all the low tax stuff, and i don't really want to kneecap the most active thread right now for that reason.

Still if someone wanted to make a SF only thread and leave this for F we could give it a go

You just reminded me that there was actually a Space Opera thread separate from this for a long time but it kind of just disappeared. I guess that's a good indication that there just isn't enough interest in genre stuff (or books period :smith:) as a whole to keep up 2 threads any more.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I'm not a regular poster but I'm already too lazy to read the urban fantasy thread and the space opera thread. Which, huh, I just noticed has been inactive since June 2017 so I guess I wasn't the only one.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm absolutely not for splitting this thread as it's the best one in this subforum. Please don't deprive me of it by killing it off.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm absolutely not for splitting this thread as it's the best one in this subforum. Please don't deprive me of it by killing it off.

yeah i feel the same way after suddenly remembering we actually did have a space opera thread, so splitting is a no go. this just means i need to find a way to recruit gbs people to start reading again :hai:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1310250039021899777?s=20

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

As the thread OP, the admins and mods can do what they want, just tell me which thread to post my SFL Archives readthrough summaries in.

Making a request to keep the "needless capitalization on "Thread' "though. Way too many Fantasy and SciFi authors are addicted to using apostrophes to create unique do-not-steal character names/pronunciations of character names,. The randomly capitalized T on 'MegaThread' was the closest I could get to doing the same on the original thread title of Reading Comprehension Not Required.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
please do not tell me the MegaThread capitalized T was a troll. I will have to make you my sworn enemy across all of the forums, dimensions, and planes.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
ok how long has the thread icon been "books" and not "sci-fi"

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Wasn't there a SCI-FI/FANTASY swapping tag before? I think it got removed and defaulted to books.

edit: there is still a sci-fi/fantasy tag. needs that one.

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 29, 2020

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Probably since creation of the thread. Had thought of converting the 2nd post into a Recommendations list but it was too much effort

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 29, 2020

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

<re-posted from off-site SFL Archives readthrough blog>
SFL Archives Vol 11 readthrough update 09

74% completion, 121 bookmarks

19 items of interest

<re-posted from off-site SFL Archives readthrough blog>

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 29, 2021

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

So I read a novella called How to Rule an Empire and Get Away With It by K.J. Parker, although I don't know how you can call it a novella when it is only 354 pages, especially considering it starts counting on page 4 and many of them are partials because they're the first or last page of a chapter. Some of them are even almost entirely blank except for e.g. "Act III" in the center. Shocking what the publishing industry is allowed to get up to these days. They even had the gall to charge $16.99 plus tax for this paperback, and I would've considered writing a strongly worded letter to manager if not for the fact I got it from the library for free.

I enjoyed it. And surprisingly for a K.J. Parker novella, he did get away with it.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I spent ten pages of Baru 1 waiting for the spaceship and I don't want to classify it so that everyone else has to go through the same miscommunication :colbert:

OH MY GOD I thought I was the only dumb person that parsed Baru as sci fi ships instead of fantasy ships.

Btw I'm still slowly making my way through Baru 3. Real life has me slammed but I have been enjoying every bit I get to read.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I am probably one session away from finishing Baru 1.

The question is whether I storm straight into 2 or try something else so I don't get baru'd out.

Otherwise I might start Pandora's Star but I'd probably take an age to finish it.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Pandora's Star is possibly the best book Peter Hamilton has written, though. (Well, along with the sequel.)

Also I'd suggest you start Baru 2: Incrastic Boogaloo at a time when you feel like you'll be ready to plow right on through Baru 3: Tau Harder. They're kind of like halves of a very long book.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Groke posted:

Pandora's Star is possibly the best book Peter Hamilton has written, though. (Well, along with the sequel.)

That’s a weird way of spelling Fallen Dragon.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Cardiac posted:

That’s a weird way of spelling Fallen Dragon.

Well, that'd be my other contender. Anyway, if you're going to read some Hamilton, those are good entertaining choices.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I read the first few pages and I was that Vince McMahon meme "Trains, Trains IN SPACE, TRAINS IN SPACE GOING THROUGH WORMHOLES" :vince:

Syphilicious!
Jul 26, 2007
Does anyone have any requests?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Syphilicious! posted:

Does anyone have any requests?

algebra testes posted:

I read the first few pages and I was that Vince McMahon meme "Trains, Trains IN SPACE, TRAINS IN SPACE GOING THROUGH WORMHOLES" :vince:
except good

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm all for

I've been laughing about it since yesterday anyway

So, someone who has been laid off due to Covid19 and isn't able to spend money on books is funny to you?

Go gently caress yourself.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
No, no; someone referring to a 400-page book as a "novella" is funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Krazyface posted: