Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Chainsaw Man: A dog and his boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
Kobeni constantly having her ice cream experience ruined.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Kobeni acing DDR is the best.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Desperate Character posted:

Jesus gently caress how does he keep topping himself

I thought nothing could beat last chapter but :laffo:

I don't know how he does it, but I sure hope he keeps doing that.

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015
I'm getting bad Honored Matre vibes off this

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
this chapter rules

kobeni is so good. i can't believe fujimoto's editor didn't make him include #7 most popular character in the manga, Kobeni's car, on the date as well

Hypocrisy posted:

Oh look. A bunch of corpses are talking.

:hmmyes:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Not gonna lie,

I have no idea who most of these characters are

Except Quanxi.

Seriously, did they appear before?

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Mush Mush Revolution was amazing. The whole date was magic. I have no idea where this is going. I would have said that Makima is just gathering people for Denji to eat but nothing makes any sense yet and it's still awesome.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Torquemadras posted:

Not gonna lie,

I have no idea who most of these characters are

Except Quanxi.

Seriously, did they appear before?

Yeah, they're all the fiends that got killed throughout the series. Reze, the katana devil with the sideburns... that's the ones off the top of my head anyway.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Archer666 posted:

Yeah, they're all the fiends that got killed throughout the series. Reze, the katana devil with the sideburns... that's the ones off the top of my head anyway.

Hybrids, not Fiends.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
dude with glasses is making the kon gesture with his hands

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Archer666 posted:

I recognize those two, but not the other four.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

I recognize those two, but not the other four.

The other 4 are new characters. Presumably they’re also hybrids Makima captured and brainwashed.

Sindai posted:

Kobeni acing DDR is the best.

Makes sense, we’ve seen how competent she is at devil hunting when she’s serious.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Robviously posted:

Mush Mush Revolution was amazing. The whole date was magic. I have no idea where this is going. I would have said that Makima is just gathering people for Denji to eat but nothing makes any sense yet and it's still awesome.

I think she's trying to provoke Denji.

If they can win, she gets Chainsaw, so that works.

But if they aren't enough, they still can serve the valuable purpose of making Chainsaw angrier at her. We've seen her control plenty of people without this obvious of a romantic hook, and we know she knows how much Denji liked Reze.

As a default, Denji (and Poochita) wouldn't want to kill Makima for good. But make him pissed enough, maybe he'll devour her just for payback. And that fits her goals too.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
someone made an interesting theory on reddit about one of the devils that has been eaten and how it affected the whole world:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ChainsawMan/comments/iz8g2t/thats_terrifying/

from my interpretation of it, their sun was the "the certain star that broke children’s minds" makima mentioned and its devil was once devoured; it seems the physical object of a devil is not removed from existence but being able to conceptualize it no longer happens, as obviously the sun still exists in their universe. For me I see it as eating a devil removes the ability to fear something or even to comprehend that it exists but doesn't actually physically destroy the actual concept. So people would still understand things like plants need light and how to utilize solar power but would have a complete mental block about the sun specifically is and their minds just work around it. Think of it like placing a rock in a river and how the water will just flow around it. It's pretty fascinating that it even had an effect on dates as well; if this theory is correct of course

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Y'know, future devil said DENJI would slaughter Power, and we now have proof Makima can bring people she's killed back from the dead in some capacity. Calling now that Makima brings Power back for Denji to murder

someone made an interesting theory on reddit about one of the devils that has been eaten and how it affected the whole world:

from my interpretation of it, their sun was the "the certain star that broke children’s minds" makima mentioned and its devil was once devoured; it seems the physical object of a devil is not removed from existence but being able to conceptualize it no longer happens, as obviously the sun still exists in their universe. For me I see it as eating a devil removes the ability to fear something or even to comprehend that it exists but doesn't actually physically destroy the actual concept. So people would still understand things like plants need light and how to utilize solar power but would have a complete mental block about the sun specifically is and their minds just work around it. Think of it like placing a rock in a river and how the water will just flow around it. It's pretty fascinating that it even had an effect on dates as well; if this theory is correct of course

The problem with that theory are things like nukes and AIDS. People can't conceptualize nukes, so what they just think those weird metal things stockpiled in this government bunker are just...??? And with AIDS, do people just ignore the horrible disease killing them? I guess people could just consider its symptoms just part of old age I guess?

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010

That idiot in the twitter post doesn't know how to read a calendar lol

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

sockpuppetclock posted:

That idiot in the twitter post doesn't know how to read a calendar lol

Yeah, the calendar still has 7 days a week, the housework plan has Sunday omitted because there are 3 people and Hitachi being written Medachi is a case of brand parody like Sorny.
I bet he also skipped all mentionings of glorious 日本 in the text bubbles.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

:eyepop:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

What even is this comic

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Radish posted:

What even is this comic

Chainsaw Man.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
God bless Tatsuki Fujimoto. God bless Chainsaw Man.

I love this loving manga.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
i am so loving stoked that Reze is back, they did my girl super dirty before.

of course knowing this manga all these people are gonna get slaughtered in like 3 panels, but i'm trying to have hope.

Taikuri
Mar 6, 2009

So it doesn't try to shitpost or anything?

Nope, it just lurks there. Completely harmless.
Someone pointed out Makima has 7 dogs, 3 with white fur and 4 with dark.

She summons 7 hybrids, 3 blonde and 4 brunette.

Maybe reaching but who the hell knows at this point what she is capable of.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Taikuri posted:

Someone pointed out Makima has 7 dogs, 3 with white fur and 4 with dark.

She summons 7 hybrids, 3 blonde and 4 brunette.

Maybe reaching but who the hell knows at this point what she is capable of.

People first thought the dogs might be transformed people and compared Tiramisu with a devil hunter, so that's not a new thought.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Really hope kobeni made it out ok lmfao, and rip to the dude working that ice cream truck

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

People first thought the dogs might be transformed people and compared Tiramisu with a devil hunter, so that's not a new thought.

Yeah, back then it felt more like a theory in search of evidence than the reverse.

It's more plausible now, certainly, since at least the colors match, but the eyes don't.

A couple of the dogs in their intro panel had weird eyes, and a few of these hybrids have unusual eyes, but they're not the same unusual designs. Haircuts don't line up either.

Unlike last time, I'm not ruling it out, but it does feel like the reasoning process went "Makima can't have anything that's just... normal! Find evidence how this latest thing was a sinister plot!" rather than "...huh. This evidence is adding up to something sinister."

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I thought the intestine scarf was a Makima thing but I guess it's just part of Chainsawman since he can control it.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

It's clear now that Kobeni cannot possibly die before reaching peak suffering.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
If the last chunk was anything to go off by the tone is gonna do another 180 into serious fights until it reveals Kobeni is either alive or dead for the ultimate comedy/tragedy

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Saw a bit of Fire Punch and is it really a story about someone who is constantly on fire punching people ? :stare:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I think after this we're going to go right back to how to build adult relationships and talking about developing maturity. Because honestly, that would be the craziest thing I can think of at this point.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Professorjuggalo posted:

If the last chunk was anything to go off by the tone is gonna do another 180 into serious fights until it reveals Kobeni is either alive or dead for the ultimate comedy/tragedy

She's going to get crushed by a piece of debris flying away just as she breaks the high score.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

ZZZorcerer posted:

Saw a bit of Fire Punch and is it really a story about someone who is constantly on fire punching people ? :stare:

its about the toxic Star Wars fandom

Lamebot fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Sep 28, 2020

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I do enjoy the implications that have been revealed so far, both in terms of themes and plot. From our initial viewpoint, Denji's actions and whims have simply been based on single-mindedness and short-term goals, but with what has been revealed thus far, the question becomes what actions has been his and what actions may have been affected by Makima's control. Then again, even if Makima had not influenced Denji's action in the past, would he have made the same choices? Do you have free will if you just follow what other people say? Does free will even matter if you adhere to your basic desires? I think the only time Denji has ever rejected a request from Makima is when he opted to stay with Aki and Power rather than spend vacation with her, and that may have been his only real choice he made since he became chainsawman.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Flair posted:

I do enjoy the implications that have been revealed so far, both in terms of themes and plot. From our initial viewpoint, Denji's actions and whims have simply been based on single-mindedness and short-term goals, but with what has been revealed thus far, the question becomes what actions has been his and what actions may have been affected by Makima's control. Then again, even if Makima had not influenced Denji's action in the past, would he have made the same choices? Do you have free will if you just follow what other people say? Does free will even matter if you adhere to your basic desires? I think the only time Denji has ever rejected a request from Makima is when he opted to stay with Aki and Power rather than spend vacation with her, and that may have been his only real choice he made since he became chainsawman.

He rejected a request from her in the first chapter. She wanted an answer if he sliced up the zombie devil.

He ignored that and told her to hold him.

That was the moment Makima got interested.

The next chapter, she ordered him to kill a Devil, and he almost ran away, only staying since the Devil turned out to be an rear end in a top hat. And then, later, he offered to run away with Reze. Almost did, too, but... well, we can see that didn't go quite like he and Reze planned.

As I've noted before, Denji's gone off script a lot. He just got what he wanted from the bureau, so repeatedly dying was a fair price.

I just hope we get Denji back in action soon. Poochita's been fun, but he's not exactly bringing the introspection and banter.

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
This is a wonderful thing

https://twitter.com/tokaii24/status/1310294189889015809?s=20

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

ZZZorcerer posted:

Yeah, among other things. Lol

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

ZZZorcerer posted:

I mean it's right there in the name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If someone likes Chainsaw Man I would definitely recommend Fire Punch just with the warning that Fire Punch is MUCH MORE depressing and hosed up than Chainsaw Man. There's still some levity like a character that's obsessed with old action movies and yes, the motivation of one of the series' main villains involves Star Wars but there's a lot of bad stuff happening to a lot of characters.