Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I really disagree with your take in the other thread. OPM web is a funny gag manga, but the Murata re-draw is the ultimate OPM. Fleshing out the characters more makes their interactions so much more meaningful. The background cast goes from being one notes to legit actors in the manga. I think One himself realized that advantage too because he is spending a lot more time in the post Garou chapters on other characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Jerkface posted:

I really disagree with your take in the other thread. OPM web is a funny gag manga, but the Murata re-draw is the ultimate OPM.

Nah, the art is better but the pacing is dog poo poo. Most of the added material hasn't meaningfully enriched the experience, it's just there. Like the entirety of that martial arts arc, it wasn't funny or interesting. All it did was pad out the time to the cool bits. And this arc, it has too much going on, it robs the emotional intensity. In the web comic it's basically The S-Rank show up, think they have it handled, get dumpstered. Short and to the point. Also the overall focus is tighter because there's less time between appearances of Garou, who hey? Remember him? The guy who is the actual emotional climax of this entire thing?

If you just want to look at pretty pictures, the manga is fine, but I haven't been excited about it in years. Whereas I always go "oooh cool the web comic updated".

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Mulva posted:

Nah, the art is better but the pacing is dog poo poo. Most of the added material hasn't meaningfully enriched the experience, it's just there. Like the entirety of that martial arts arc, it wasn't funny or interesting. All it did was pad out the time to the cool bits. And this arc, it has too much going on, it robs the emotional intensity. In the web comic it's basically The S-Rank show up, think they have it handled, get dumpstered. Short and to the point. Also the overall focus is tighter because there's less time between appearances of Garou, who hey? Remember him? The guy who is the actual emotional climax of this entire thing?

If you just want to look at pretty pictures, the manga is fine, but I haven't been excited about it in years. Whereas I always go "oooh cool the web comic updated".

Again, I disagree. The things I like about OPM are obviously the funny stuff like the ridiculous names and hero gags and Saitama one shotting every threat no matter how wild, but there is also the pathos in the story of what it means to be a hero. The fighting tournament looked like it was going to be dumb filler but the entire end bit with Suiryu was amaaaazing and One obviously thinks its important since they're central characters to the current arc now.

And like yea OFC you're excited by new web manga chapters, you're getting more story of stuff you've never seen before.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sometimes less is more.
There are positive things added in, credit given where credit is due: like the ninja duo as framing for flashy flash and the new comic relief monster buddy.

But the bad is overwhelming the good.
Im at a fundamental disagreement with how theyve approached and executed this arc.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Not gonna lie, I do feel like there’s some stuff the ONE version slept on, like us just seeing Garou say “heh, I’ve beaten many A-Rank and higher heroes offscreen and become many times stronger”, but...this feels like diminishing returns at this point. It’s hard to complain in the sense that a lot of the extra Muruta stuff is being approved if not outright storyboarded by ONE himself and it actually has relevance to the webcomic’s story past the Garou arc, but a lot of this newer stuff feels like it’s been interspersed with Muruta’s dedication to perfection. If not, you know, just plain that.

Basically I wanna see the fireworks factory and all these cool roadside distractions are getting less cool (the fireworks factory is Muruta’s version of Serious Tabletop Flip)

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm on the crew of less is more. I tried to read the manga in a single go to see how the pacing felt and this latest part is just exhausting. If I wanted convoluted fights I'd be reading HxH. The manga right now feels nothing like OPM at all, it's just pure excess with no payoff. We've been on a crescendo with no real tension for a while.

Ultimately the thing is that it's been overwhelmingly boring and no philosophical debate about what constitutes the nature of OPM or how much input ONE has vs Murata can overcome the simple, raw fact that unlike the rest of the manga and webcomic, this segment has just felt excessive and boring and I imagine I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 29, 2020

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Jerkface posted:

Fleshing out the characters more makes their interactions so much more meaningful.

Ahhhhh yes these 100 extra angles of Tatsumaki and Psykos' breasts are really providing character depth most manga can only dream of

I'm not even near the top half of people who complain about Murata's over indulgence, but at some point it does get hard to defend

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Guy A. Person posted:

Ahhhhh yes these 100 extra angles of Tatsumaki and Psykos' breasts are really providing character depth most manga can only dream of

I'm not even near the top half of people who complain about Murata's over indulgence, but at some point it does get hard to defend

You'll never understand the depths of Tatsumaki's character in the post-Garou arc if you don't see her dress ripped apart by psychic power!!! Basically I love the redraw because of scenes like Common Rider and Tank Top Master having mutual respect and being cool heroes.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Great, you could have that and cut like 30 chapters and lose nothing of value.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Flash's one panel "fight" against Hellfire Flame and Gale Wind tells us more about his character than the 90+ page version in the manga.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The latest chapter which is largely just heroes interacting is pretty alright. But things like Child Emperor fighting Phoenix Man for 4 chapters and then 4 chapters more in redraw are very lame because who could possibly care.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think the truth

is in the middle.

Things could be better! They could always be better.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
i've enjoyed a good amount of the stuff added in, but the stuff that doesnt keep up feels soooo much worse just bc of how good the best of it is. garou was introduced to the manga in late 2014 and aside from a few blizzard group chapters and a nearly year long (!) tournament arc we've just been slowly working through the greater garou arc.

a lot of recent chapters have had me a little bored, and that's a little rough considering how bad i wanna finally see murata's monster garou :v: it's not like stuff has been unreadable, it's just been... fine and that feels so weak knowing what's ahead

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Elentor posted:

I'm on the crew of less is more. I tried to read the manga in a single go to see how the pacing felt and this latest part is just exhausting. If I wanted convoluted fights I'd be reading HxH. The manga right now feels nothing like OPM at all, it's just pure excess with no payoff. We've been on a crescendo with no real tension for a while.

Ultimately the thing is that it's been overwhelmingly boring and no philosophical debate about what constitutes the nature of OPM or how much input ONE has vs Murata can overcome the simple, raw fact that unlike the rest of the manga and webcomic, this segment has just felt excessive and boring and I imagine I'm not the only one who feels this way.

The strength of the series has been in its heart. While the Garou arc in the webcomic was a concentrated dose of so much pathos and emotional catharsis that it overtook Sea King in a lot of people's minds, the bulk of the murata version's take on the arc has been leaning much more on the Monster Association side of things and in terms of drama and tension that half of the arc was more of a backdrop to provide context. Each hero fight basically got their one note establishing their stakes and what, if any, character arc they were building on because they were all basically just building up to the final confrontation with Garou, and the events there irrevocably sets the paths of their character arcs moving forward.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nothing but complaints on page 69 cements this as a bad manga.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Nothing but complaints on page 69 cements this as a bad manga.

All the horny energy was sent over to other versions via psychic transmission

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Sometimes I feel the desire to simply acknowledge the people who want to criticize stuff, we have the right to do so.

I get the people who are disappointed.I feel it as well, it feels like a waste of talent to draw and redraw when there is so much great material yet to cover.

I want to make a post that will change perspectives and make everyone appreciate what we have, and help people understand there lies a future potential to fix these perceived errors.

I can't do that though... but I'm still gonna post and say we're fortunate to have the luxury to complain about this.

Until things get better though,

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
Between all the redraws, chapters getting posted out of order, and disjointed events that will have to be corrected in the future it has become very confusing to follow and I'm not entirely sure I know what has happened in the Murata version or where it happened. I'm feeling like the best course of action is to take 6 months off and then see if it is sorted out by then but I feel like we'll still be seeing Phoenix man redraws well into 2021.

Everything Murata has drawn has been gorgeous and I enjoyed the martial arts tournament in it's entirety but this latest bit is really dragging. Hell I even enjoyed Phoenix man vs the kid but I don't know how that fight actually went anymore there have been so drat many rewrites.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

graham cracker posted:

Sometimes I feel the desire to simply acknowledge the people who want to criticize stuff, we have the right to do so.

I get the people who are disappointed.I feel it as well, it feels like a waste of talent to draw and redraw when there is so much great material yet to cover.

I want to make a post that will change perspectives and make everyone appreciate what we have, and help people understand there lies a future potential to fix these perceived errors.

I can't do that though... but I'm still gonna post and say we're fortunate to have the luxury to complain about this.

Until things get better though,

Eh trying to force enjoyment compliance doesn't really help.

If I wasn't at least somewhat interested and entertained I would just leave the series be and pick it up again in a year, but the writing in the Monster Association arc hasn't been hitting ONE's strengths for a while now.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"True."

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Death Bot posted:

garou was introduced to the manga in late 2014 and aside from a few blizzard group chapters and a nearly year long (!) tournament arc we've just been slowly working through the greater garou arc.

I did not remember it being that long, but drat. Thats right. The hero hunt arc started on Chapter 45 (Garou is introduced in 39). this arc from the beginning of the hero hunt to where we are now has lasted twice as long as the rest of the manga.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's taking way too long. Like, hilariously, embarassingly way too long.

I want everything to look like a goddamn masterpiece but I also wanted the finale of this arc like 3 years ago. I am enjoying every chapter that comes out. It looks great, and there are solid jokes along the way. But at a certain point I am just wishing we were two story beats ahead of where we are every chapter.

It's a weird place to be.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
We are only like 60 chapters ahead of the web manga and that's with an entire extra arc in there!

I think most of the slowness comes from the multiple redraws.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This is downright embarrassing.

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?

Jerkface posted:

We are only like 60 chapters ahead of the web manga and that's with an entire extra arc in there!

I think most of the slowness comes from the multiple redraws.

That, and some of the chapters are super long.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"True."

Elentor posted:

This is downright embarrassing.

Enjoy One Punch Man! Or don't?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

i flunked out posted:

I did not remember it being that long, but drat. Thats right. The hero hunt arc started on Chapter 45 (Garou is introduced in 39). this arc from the beginning of the hero hunt to where we are now has lasted twice as long as the rest of the manga.
The Garou arc in the webcomic was twice as long as every prior arc put together too, admittedly. :v: But who knows how much is left now, yeah.

I still like the remake but it's definitely a different comic and you're either okay with that or you aren't, I guess? I do have to agree though that someone needs to remind Murata (and/or ONE) that sometimes things aren't going to be perfect and that's fine, don't get lost in the sunk cost of redoing completed work, but ah well.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I think it's a bit short sighted to treat the Garou arc as a standalone thing that the webcomic quickly and efficiently completed and moved on from. By the end, Garou is still alive, Psychos is still alive, the nebulous threat of "God" has just barely been touched on, and there is a backdrop storyline of ever increasing monster attacks.

I love both the webcomic and the manga and am grateful both exist. At a certain point when these threads become endless complaints it sort of forces the question: if you don't like the manga, why not just stop reading?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bucswabe posted:

At a certain point when these threads become endless complaints it sort of forces the question: if you don't like the manga, why not just stop reading?

This is a terrible reaction to people voicing criticism. I enjoyed 90% of the manga, and now it's on a dry spell as far as I'm concerned. I'm obviously voicing my criticism because I like the thing. And yeah, if it keeps going like this for a while I'll eventually drop it, but I'm not gonna suddenly halt reading something that I enjoyed a lot just because a few chapters didn't appeal to me.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've been reading OPM for seven years now and I'm still enjoying it, I just have some moderately critical opinions about the pacing of one version of it.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"True."

Elentor posted:

This is a terrible reaction to people voicing criticism. I enjoyed 90% of the manga, and now it's on a dry spell as far as I'm concerned. I'm obviously voicing my criticism because I like the thing. And yeah, if it keeps going like this for a while I'll eventually drop it, but I'm not gonna suddenly halt reading something that I enjoyed a lot just because a few chapters didn't appeal to me.

Nope, it seems you just wanna stir poo poo up. Do you do this in 90% of manga threads too?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well that's one way to throw a bucket of ice onto a conversation.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"True."

Anyone else wanna talk about how good this webcomic is or should I bail on this thread?

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"True."

Elentor posted:

This isn't an airport, you don't have to announce your departures.

THAT was the meme I was thinking of earlier. Yeah, do that.

Mods, give me a 24 hour probe please because I can admit fault.

graham cracker fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 29, 2020

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Just have the correct opinions imho

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

graham cracker posted:

Mods, give me a 24 hour probe please because I can admit fault.

Done.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"True."

Nope.

E: All ribbing aside, I really like this webcomic.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
No one crosses Shinjobi.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bucswabe posted:

I love both the webcomic and the manga and am grateful both exist. At a certain point when these threads become endless complaints it sort of forces the question: if you don't like the manga, why not just stop reading?

It's just a cycle that we go through. About 116 years ago- give or take how long 2020 has lasted- people were excited for the Murata version because in just 9 months we'd be seeing the Garou fight in ultra HD 4K and here we are eight decades later and Homeless Emporer still has no idea who Tatsumaki is. So now people are overcorrecting in the opposite direction of wanting Super One Punch Man-Kai where there is no story or characters and it's just the panels of Saitama's fist and nothing else. Because none of us can do anything to stop Murata from embracing his gamer instincts and going on sidequests like getting a better rank on the Flashy Flash fight or elaborating on Zombieman's arsenal.

So we're all trapped in here together screaming like Timmy in the well about how we'd all fix Murata's attitude if we were in charge of keeping him moving the story forward instead of illustrating the life leaving a monster's eyes as it's crushed to death by an olympian's thighs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Let's be real ONE and Murata are both each other's enablers and they're basically just getting paid to have fun working together at this point.