Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think cultural commodification is a better term for a big chunk of the bad part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Nobody tell him the Winston Churchill is the earliest source for OMG.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Doc Hawkins posted:

this one's a video: hope they don't take it down

https://twitter.com/WebMD/status/1310187541660930051

I’ve never had chai tea, is that a bad way to make it?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

hanales posted:

I’ve never had chai tea, is that a bad way to make it?

It's a good way to make chai tea but a bad way to make chai

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

grittyreboot posted:

I don't know if Boogie's gonna catch a charge on this. I would imagine any attorney worth their salt would point out the other guy was stalking, harassing and possibly threatening him.

This happened in Arkansas so I don't imagine Boogie getting charged.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Canned Panda posted:

This is in response to the Governor in Michigan requiring masks for kids in school at all times going in to flu season.

This is the
Principal of an Elementary school on Michigan.

Not specifically about this issue, (although this Principal is certainly an idiot.)

But this is hosed up. All of these conspiracy/flat-earth/etc. types tell you to "do your research". Well here is someone who is doing his research, but he finds that none of it agrees with him, or is telling him what he wants to hear. Does he accept that? Does he say "well I have done my research, and found several articles/papers telling me X. I guess that Y is wrong."?

No, the motherfucker goes online to ask people "Hey guys, I believe Y, but all the scientific research I am doing is telling me X. Please find me something that asys Y, so I can keep on believing it and tell myself and others that said belief is based in science."

It's not good.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Every day I 😊 see👀 👀🙈 more➕ ➕ grown adult 🧑 👳men👳 👴 use emojis. There is no😣 🙅‍♂️ excuse for this. Emojis are 👉 for children👪 👩‍👩‍👦 and women👘. 🙆 Do you 😊 think 💭 💭💭💭 your great 🇬🇧 grandfather would 🈶have 🈶 🈶 been caught ☠dead☠ ⚰ using emojis if the internet 📶📶 🌐 existed back 🔙 ↩️ then? Have 🈶 some self respect for God’s sake 🍶🍻🍺🍻🍻🍻🎉🍻🍾🎉🥂😜💦💦💦😵🤢🤮😣😞🥱😴😴😴😴.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Every day I 😊 see👀 👀🙈 more➕ ➕ grown adult 🧑 👳men👳 👴 use emojis. There is no😣 🙅‍♂️ excuse for this. Emojis are 👉 for children👪 👩‍👩‍👦 and women👘. 🙆 Do you 😊 think 💭 💭💭💭 your great 🇬🇧 grandfather would 🈶have 🈶 🈶 been caught ☠dead☠ ⚰ using emojis if the internet 📶📶 🌐 existed back 🔙 ↩️ then? Have 🈶 some self respect for God’s sake 🍶🍻🍺🍻🍻🍻🎉🍻🍾🎉🥂😜💦💦💦😵🤢🤮😣😞🥱😴😴😴😴.

Brilliant. Social. Commentary.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Grandpas love emojis. It's another way to tell fart jokes.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

This guy posted this video (self explanatory title) in a covid argument.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYFJ0b8qvkw

The description of the video includes a bunch of links with claims about why covid19 is apparently not real, but when you read the info they chose more closely they cherry picked very specific quotes which are cleared up, or contradicted, sometimes on the same page or same paragraph as what they quoted as proof of a hoax, and stuff like this:

quote:

According to Government facts/stats those WITH COVID19 live 1.2 years longer than those without.
As at 3pm on 13 August 2020, a total of 22,358 cases of COVID-19 have been reported in Australia, including 361 deaths.
The median age of deaths is 84 years (range: 30 to 103 years).
Life expectancy in Australia is 82.8 years of age.

Someone further down in the FB comments addressed most of it, it was much longer than this.

TheMostFrench has a new favorite as of 09:04 on Sep 29, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Subjunctive posted:

Mostly don’t attorneys get involved after someone is charged?

If you think you might get charged with something it's usually a good idea to lawyer up before it even gets that far.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

The Supernatural talk made me think of this I stumbled across yesterday. I've never seen Supernatural, but my impression is it knows how to wink at itself and doesn't take itself too seriously. This on the other hand I assume is meant to be played straight...

(you don't need sound, you can just read the subtitles. might be funnier that way)
https://twitter.com/generalslug/status/1309743576386097153

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

there wolf posted:

Cultural appropriation/exchange is when two culture meet and start swapping poo poo. It's not inherently negative or positive; it's just a thing that happens. It turns negative when one culture is so much bigger/more influential than the other that the things it borrows get re-coded as it's own, particularly when it changes them. Smaller cultures end up getting alienated from their own creations, and erased. Colonialism and capitalism contribute immensely to the negative side.

But this doesn't affect Len personally, so how can it be a real problem?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Euphoriaphone posted:

The Supernatural talk made me think of this I stumbled across yesterday. I've never seen Supernatural, but my impression is it knows how to wink at itself and doesn't take itself too seriously. This on the other hand I assume is meant to be played straight...

(you don't need sound, you can just read the subtitles. might be funnier that way)
https://twitter.com/generalslug/status/1309743576386097153

What the gently caress show is that?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Skwirl posted:

What the gently caress show is that?
The Magicians, the premise sounds like it has promise but when

quote:

The New York Times review said the book "could crudely be labeled a Harry Potter for adults", injecting "mature themes" into fantasy literature.
is the quote you choose for the main page of the fan wiki then yikes

Elysiume has a new favorite as of 10:25 on Sep 29, 2020

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Blackula Vs. Tarantula posted:

But this doesn't affect Len personally, so how can it be a real problem?

Well it affects all of us in that is has a deadening effect on culture, encouraging bigger cultures to leech off smaller ones for creativity which in turn pressures those cultures to make stuff for or at least with the dominant culture in mind resulting in more homogenization and stagnation.

What I'm saying is... Letting Pat Boone have a career at all got us bro country and if that's not suffering, I don't know what is.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

there wolf posted:

Cultural appropriation/exchange is when two culture meet and start swapping poo poo. It's not inherently negative or positive; it's just a thing that happens. It turns negative when one culture is so much bigger/more influential than the other that the things it borrows get re-coded as it's own, particularly when it changes them. Smaller cultures end up getting alienated from their own creations, and erased. Colonialism and capitalism contribute immensely to the negative side.

I think what you're describing here can be more aptly described as commodification (as another poster mentioned), which is harmless in each individual case, but harmful in aggregate.

Cultural exchange is inherently positive; say someone teaches you their grandma's recipe for bomb-rear end fajitas or pierogi or whatever. Something is gained and nothing is lost.

Cultural appropriation is inherently negative. This is when you misuse an element of cultural significance, like a Native American head dress or a Scottish clan tartan or Pacific Islander face tattoos. Anything that contains personal or tribal history as part of its expression. Things that would be a crime if the appropriated party had any ability to enforce it, like how stolen valor or even copying the Burberry pattern without a license is very illegal.

Wearing a kimono or sharing a lovely recipe for chai is not appropriation, because that's "just" formalwear and a hot drink, but it can very much contribute to commodification, which is a different harmful thing.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

OwlFancier posted:

Hey now if it works for lara croft it works for sandwich dad.

He's more doughy than he is polygonal though. Man, multiple guns with shorts really is just terrible in all aspects isn't it?

acyclicity
Oct 27, 2008

A curious little mouse!

Elysiume posted:

The Magicians, the premise sounds like it has promise but when

quote:

The New York Times review said the book "could crudely be labeled a Harry Potter for adults", injecting "mature themes" into fantasy literature.

is the quote you choose for the main page of the fan wiki then yikes

I haven't seen the show, but the book is more like "Harry Potter for adults" meets "The Chronicles of Narnia for adults". If that sounds bad, then let me assure you the book itself is even worse.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Elysiume posted:

The Magicians, the premise sounds like it has promise
The first season is incredibly bad. I honestly can't recommend the show to anyone because no one should have to sit through that. It gets really, really good in later seasons, but getting to the good stuff is probably not worth it. Unless you already watched all or most of the first season, in which case you may as well carry on because you're through the worst of it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

acyclicity posted:

I haven't seen the show, but the book is more like "Harry Potter for adults" meets "The Chronicles of Narnia for adults". If that sounds bad, then let me assure you the book itself is even worse.
The book has a pretty good premise (because all these wizards should be incredibly disconnected from modern society, and the protagonist is a depressed sadbrains), but the execution... eh, not so much.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

https://twitter.com/BadNewsSam/status/1310658829449719809
https://twitter.com/BadNewsSam/status/1310707052923113472
https://twitter.com/BadNewsSam/status/1310708091063685120

Context: Sam thinks Colorado (Jello Biafra's home state) is in the midwest.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Easily cleared up, just ask Jello where his state is and he’ll give you a concise answer over the course of three hours or so.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
And afterwards, even if you completely agree with him, you'll have the distinct feeling that Jello's kind of a dick.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1310712684342644736?s=21

Well known place without ice cubes, Europe.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

MattY's one of those guys who says a lot of things in the hopes that some of them will be smart. In a context where no one is indexing everything he says, that probably works pretty well, but social media has really not been kind to him.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Nah they’re not wrong, Europe and ice aren’t really a thing in comparison to the states. Supermarkets you might get lucky and they have a bag or two during the summer, fridgefreezers don’t have ice makers by standard, and if you ask for ice in your drink at a bar you’ll get maybe 3 cubes because the attitude is if you fill the glass with ice you’re getting ripped off.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

I thought they don’t use pounds in Europe anymore

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

if you fill the glass with ice you’re getting ripped off.

That's true, though?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

EL BROMANCE posted:

Nah they’re not wrong, Europe and ice aren’t really a thing in comparison to the states. Supermarkets you might get lucky and they have a bag or two during the summer, fridgefreezers don’t have ice makers by standard, and if you ask for ice in your drink at a bar you’ll get maybe 3 cubes because the attitude is if you fill the glass with ice you’re getting ripped off.

What an enlightened continent

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Byzantine posted:

That's true, though?

Well on an alcoholic drink in the UK, the vodka or rum or whatever generally gets served from an optic on the bottle that has a 25ml shot in rather than a free pour so it won’t affect that aspect. This concept applies to even glasses of water though. It used to drive my wife crazy when she’d come over and find it impossible to get her desired amount of cubes.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Noted country, Europe.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Note that this is not the case in American fast food joints like McDonalds and KFC. If you order a soft drink at those places, you bet your rear end you are going to get a handful of ice cubes in your cup.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

EL BROMANCE posted:

This concept applies to even glasses of water though.
It always annoys me when I ask for a glass of water in a pub and they fill a glass with ice and top it off with water. Especially in winter. Why do I have to specifically remember to say "no ice" when I never asked for ice in the first place? :argh:

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Christ, Rotten looks like that Vegas fellow on a bad day.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Samovar posted:

Christ, Rotten looks like that Vegas fellow on a bad day.

Meanwhile, Doyle from The Misfits is still shredded.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The book has a pretty good premise (because all these wizards should be incredibly disconnected from modern society, and the protagonist is a depressed sadbrains), but the execution... eh, not so much.

Intentionally or not, the books are a very good satire on why the US Ivy League “meritocracy” is extremely poo poo, combined with some highdeas about “what if fiction was real.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

BrigadierSensible posted:

Not specifically about this issue, (although this Principal is certainly an idiot.)

But this is hosed up. All of these conspiracy/flat-earth/etc. types tell you to "do your research". Well here is someone who is doing his research, but he finds that none of it agrees with him, or is telling him what he wants to hear. Does he accept that? Does he say "well I have done my research, and found several articles/papers telling me X. I guess that Y is wrong."?

No, the motherfucker goes online to ask people "Hey guys, I believe Y, but all the scientific research I am doing is telling me X. Please find me something that asys Y, so I can keep on believing it and tell myself and others that said belief is based in science."

It's not good.

It's because people constantly ask them for sources for their bullshit, so they know that sources = good thing, but don't grasp the larger scientific method. To them it's "I know I'm right, so when I find something that backs me, it proves it" vs "I should go into this with a hypothesis and see if the research proves or disproves it." They're the same kind of people who will argue to the death that scientific theories are "just opinions" so we should give their crackpot explanations equal weight.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Cultural appropriation is inherently negative. This is when you misuse an element of cultural significance, like a Native American head dress or a Scottish clan tartan or Pacific Islander face tattoos. Anything that contains personal or tribal history as part of its expression. Things that would be a crime if the appropriated party had any ability to enforce it, like how stolen valor or even copying the Burberry pattern without a license is very illegal.

Wearing a kimono or sharing a lovely recipe for chai is not appropriation, because that's "just" formalwear and a hot drink, but it can very much contribute to commodification, which is a different harmful thing.

The example I like to give is sweat lodge ceremonies. As actual religious ceremonies, they take years of training and knowledge. But do a google search for "sweat lodge" and you'll see tons of websites offering the True Native Experience from white new age gurus. They're charging thousands of dollars for their bullshit, and in some cases it leads to death because they have no idea what they're doing. A lot of tribes are understandably pissed that people are commercializing their sacred rituals as a spa experience.

hyperhazard has a new favorite as of 16:38 on Sep 29, 2020