Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Very same. Was nice seeing where street bmx is at now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

i love the vibe in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6E83TaS55o

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

XIII posted:

My days of giving a poo poo if people ride skateboards/bikes/rollerblades/scooters (yes, even scooters) are far in my past. If you're willing to huck yourself down stairs on a fancy version of child's toy, you're cool with me.

I've been following rollerblading's (small) resurgence very closely and it's refreshing how younger generations don't really give a poo poo about all the animosity between different, for want of a better term, 'action sports'.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I don't care if you ride a scooter. Just don't be a Scooter Kid, which I'm sure everyone here understands

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
bikes and scooters suck at the skatepark.
Bikes are quiet, they sneak up on you and go fast and they can't really respect the "flow" since they are going so much faster. I'm old and I don't want to tangle with a bike.
One of the local parks around here has a no bikes policy and sometimes the cops will come kick them out. I have mixed feelings about that but I'm always glad to see them go. I hate the sound of the flywheel or whatever it's called.

most scooters usually sound like a metal box of tools, clickity clacking all around. Scooter kids go in swarms and are usually doing some version of chase or arguing about who is close to actually landing a tailwhip.
What's worse is scooter pros that have to do 300 tries of their fly out tail whip over the head thing that almost hits everyone near by.

Roller bladers are OK as long as they are not skating backwards directly at you.

A recent new edition to things that bother me at the skatepark are dudes trying to drive remote control cars around while people are skating, but those are kind of fun cause you can just run into the car and send it flying.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Yeah park etiquette is a whole other universe. I think if you're on a bike or in any way deficient that makes you unable to take turns in a session like manner you should just attempt to visit parks at odd hours when theres minimal/no people there.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
In an ideal world every park would have a bmx track/area and a beginner park nearby. But until then yield to boards because at the end of the day we got these things built, they're generally built for us, and when all else fails its much easier for us to use our poo poo as a weapon.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Street Rollerbladers are basically an endangered species at this point so they should be loved and nurtured anywhere you see them.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Bikes are also waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay easier to hit the streets with and that's always cooler than being in a park so wtf go do that you dorks no ones loving vert bmxing anymore

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'm super bad at park etiquette.

I'm really bad about skating with people I don't know.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I have this style/aesthetic hang up with bike and scooter trickin'
It looks gross when their hands end up so close together on the handle bars with the ends of the bars sticking out way past their fists. like they are pretending to ride with tiny handle bars.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I wouldn't feel too bad about it thats just how it is at parks now. I dont blame anybody its not like they teach the unwritten rules of 80s skate jams in school or anything lmfao

And it's also less acceptable to yell at random children these days, which is how I assume it was taught in the olden times

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
There's a bad mojo involved when you grew up skating but never actually got very good at it.

I'm not nervous enough skating around other people is the problem.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1W5-6dOgbI

:stare:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

:stare: indeed

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

A neat look at some of Japan skate culture:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eYmExnnDLk

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

ImplicitAssembler posted:

This video series has been awesome so far. Totally helping me get over losing love letters with Grosso :rip:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvaIlyt6L-M

Interesting

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
If these are all original parts that's basically a contender for best vid of the year sight unseen, yeah?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

God drat Jamie Foy is so loving good.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Extremely pro click, I hope I'm half as cool as that one dude when im 50

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

this is so loving good

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
have you ever seen anyone fire cracker a few a steps then hop on the rail?
I'd like to see that.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Finally watched all the real street vid parts and they are all quite good. I feel like that sort of thing is completely un-judgeable and I want the dude complaining about wasted vid seconds to piss off, but in the end you still have like 5 great tiny parts and mini-docs about the skaters and filmers.

I also watched the best trick entries for nyjah and sheckler which are both insane

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I forgot we had a skating thread. I just switched to an 8.5 deck this month. I have completely lost my ability to heel flip and when I try I have the tendency to credit card myself. Otherwise skating wide decks is so much fun especially for transition and honestly stairs. I can catch my kick flips way nicer than I could with 7.75. What do you guys skate?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I started out on this tiny 7.5 that I bought accidentally, upgraded to a 8.5, then bought a cruiser, and now I'm eagerly eyeing those huge 12 inch wide boards. wide decks rule

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

8.5 because I have big feet, 7.5 is way too small for me

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

I have an 8.75 but I don't do flip tricks and street skating, I mostly just fart around in bowls. I've been eyeing getting like a 7.5 and start learning some freestyle tricks, but don't know how much I'll enjoy freestyle skating.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I always skated 7.5-7.75 decks (preferred 7.75) back when I was skating a ton back in jr/sr high, but I've always been a smaller dude. I got an 8 when I was getting back into it after college and it always felt massive. That board got stolen a few years ago and I keep meaning to get another, so I'll probably go back to 7.75.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I ride 8.75 that flips when I meet my one (terrible) kick flip per session requirement

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brl6RZK0AA0

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
These are all quite hosed up

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Imo

Gold - Clive Dixon
Silver - O'Grady
Bronze - Sheckler

Nyjahs is probably the actual silver or bronze but whatever he has everything, just go film another part with all your insanity and leave everyone alone lmfao

I think there would be an argument for gold if it wasnt for that curb at the bottom of that thing. What the gently caress.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

That curb was ridiculous but so was a Smith on that rail.

Hey where do you guys put your cellphones when you skate. Normally I put it in the pocket of my back foots leg. But I just got a new phone and it's massive and Im worried about breaking it. I skate a semi sketchy park so I can't put it in a bag away from me.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

gay for gacha posted:

That curb was ridiculous but so was a Smith on that rail.

Hey where do you guys put your cellphones when you skate. Normally I put it in the pocket of my back foots leg. But I just got a new phone and it's massive and Im worried about breaking it. I skate a semi sketchy park so I can't put it in a bag away from me.

Back when I skated regularly, there weren't cell phones. But if there were, we would have put them in our VISION fanny packs. :c00lbert:

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
I've considered getting some kinda lock for my bag and locking it closed / to a railing in a way that doesn't look obviously locked up. It wouldn't stop someone ripping the poo poo outta the bag but would prob give me more of a chance to notice someone was up to something. Also I've heard of people stashing their phone in an empty soda can or something and putting it somewhere outta the way so it looks like trash. Both are kinda risky / dumb so I mostly just don't take my phone if I'm gonna be somewhere busy.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

i always skate with the homies so we take turns minding the bags and phones and yelling support to one another.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
My phone is locked in my car since I have to drive anywhere to skate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

UFOTacoMan posted:

My phone is locked in my car since I have to drive anywhere to skate

Yep, only thing I take is a water bottle. My car has one of those keyless entries keypad things so I just keep my phone wallet and keys locked up in the car.