Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
Once I got some La Choy crispy chow mein noodles (which I still like because we always had them with my mom's chop suey, along with minute rice) and used them in place of tenkasu, they didn't add much really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey when Japanese cook with cabbage like in okonomiyaki is it Napa or is it the western green cabbage

Orange Somen
Sep 7, 2007
rawn poul 2008
Western, it's crunchier.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Okonomiyaki trip report. Made Osaka style, it was okay but too doughy and the cabbage was not right. Taste was spot on though, will try again.

"cabbage" is a suboptimal ingredient name. It can be literally 6 or 7 different things. China cabbage, green cabbage, white cabbage...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Orange Somen posted:

Western, it's crunchier.

More similar to western yeah, but it is different. If you go to an Asian grocery they should have them, they're wide and flat instead of spherical. Usually labeled Taiwanese cabbage around here.

But if you don't have those then the western cabbage is closer than Napa.

E: Also sometimes they're weirdly expensive, the first time I found that kind of cabbage it was like $10 for a head and I couldn't justify that much money for a fuckin cabbage.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Grand Fromage posted:

E: Also sometimes they're weirdly expensive, the first time I found that kind of cabbage it was like $10 for a head and I couldn't justify that much money for a fuckin cabbage.

Philistine

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Grand Fromage posted:

More similar to western yeah, but it is different. If you go to an Asian grocery they should have them, they're wide and flat instead of spherical. Usually labeled Taiwanese cabbage around here.

Aaaah this clears up a mystery for me. I just got a hand-pulled noodle meal kit from a Chinese restaurant and the cabbage that came with it was oval.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Steve Yun posted:

Aaaah this clears up a mystery for me. I just got a hand-pulled noodle meal kit from a Chinese restaurant and the cabbage that came with it was oval.

Yep. This the cabby boi I got in my fridge right now.

They get much bigger, I just get the small ones to avoid waste.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
If I use Panko instead of tenkasu in okonomiyaki and takoyaki, am I committing a food crime?

What about if I use Ramen instead of yakisoba in the Hiroshima Okonomiyaki

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Steve Yun posted:

If I use Panko instead of tenkasu in okonomiyaki and takoyaki, am I committing a food crime?

What about if I use Ramen instead of yakisoba in the Hiroshima Okonomiyaki

I feel like panko wouldn’t really work the same. Rice krispies sounded like a legit suggestion.

I dunno about the noodles... I think that really depends on what kind you’re talking about. I’d probably avoid using instant

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Dunno if this is the thread for it, but can anyone recommend a good wok? Preferably not a Teflon thing. Also okay if it requires a seasoning. I am not looking for a specific price point, but preferably not something that's like 100 bucks.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Do you have a gas range? If so you could try at an Asian grocery store. Over here they also sell woks. They look a bit flimsy compared to cast iron and other fancy consumer style woks western potmakers want to sell you but are the real deal. A proper wok should be thin so it heats the ingredients fast and provide a temperature gradient from bottom to top. Cast iron for example doesn't really do this and is way too heavy to wok properly. And you are right a wok shouldn't be coated with anything so you can scrape around in it without worry.
Bonus is the Asian store ones usually cost so little, if it doesn't work for you you haven't spent a lot.

If you don't have a gas range that's trickier, someone else will have to chime in there as I never condone that works properly on ceramic stoves. You could ask in the Chinese cooking thread, I think it is fittingly called "wok this way" IIRC ;-) or the general questions thread, I am sure someone can recommend a brand.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I do not have a gas range. I just found the general equipment thread so I will research there too. Thanks!

Haize
Jun 13, 2008

Pardon my poor lurking but wanting to double check if anyone has gone down the curry rabbit hole? I bought a bunch of different varieties so as to determine which one will become my go to. Just finished up the "Kokumaro" line, which I found to be nice and rich (good MSG), but a little lacking on the curry flavor front. I also have a couple boxes of "Java" which is made by the same company. Obviously the Golden Curry is easiest to find and after all of this seems to be the strongest competitor when it comes to the curry flavor, but wanted to see if there are any other rare gems out there.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Haize posted:

Pardon my poor lurking but wanting to double check if anyone has gone down the curry rabbit hole? I bought a bunch of different varieties so as to determine which one will become my go to. Just finished up the "Kokumaro" line, which I found to be nice and rich (good MSG), but a little lacking on the curry flavor front. I also have a couple boxes of "Java" which is made by the same company. Obviously the Golden Curry is easiest to find and after all of this seems to be the strongest competitor when it comes to the curry flavor, but wanted to see if there are any other rare gems out there.

Here's a write-up Serious Eats did on it.
The article is here.
A lot of people mix different roux together to get what they want.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Haize posted:

I do a roughly 2:1 Kokumaro to Java most of the time, along with all the additions I make to the broth.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Steve Yun posted:

I half think boondi would be a better substitute; you can get it from an Indian or halal grocer. It's the same thing as tenkasu but the batter is chickpea-flour based.

Haize
Jun 13, 2008

hallo spacedog posted:

Here's a write-up Serious Eats did on it.
The article is here.
A lot of people mix different roux together to get what they want.

I should've figured Serious Eats did it.

I have yet to try the Java, but will soon. So far the Golden Curry seems to have the most actual spice flavor. There's also a Japanese cooking teacher from LA who I've followed for a while who recently came out with a book and has a homemade curry brick recipe that went quasi viral and looks worth recreating.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Haize posted:

I should've figured Serious Eats did it.

I have yet to try the Java, but will soon. So far the Golden Curry seems to have the most actual spice flavor. There's also a Japanese cooking teacher from LA who I've followed for a while who recently came out with a book and has a homemade curry brick recipe that went quasi viral and looks worth recreating.

It's good, my mom clipped it and sent it to me and it was great.

I add a lot of extra stuff to all my curries though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I should try making my own curry roux, but whenever I'm at the point of grinding spices I just make actual Indian food instead. Still, I like Japanocurry so should probably give it a real go instead of relegating it to lazy convenience food.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hiroshima okonomiyaki is totally show off okonomiyaki. Extra okonomiyaki. I love it but it’s a lot of work

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Turned out looking pretty good. Did you end up using ramen?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I found some Chuka Soba at the Chinese market, I guess that’s the name of the noodle used to make yakisoba the dish? It appears to be a thin version of alkaline Chinese noodles

Which sounds like it’s basically ramen?

Haize
Jun 13, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I should try making my own curry roux, but whenever I'm at the point of grinding spices I just make actual Indian food instead. Still, I like Japanocurry so should probably give it a real go instead of relegating it to lazy convenience food.

I cannot get my home cooked Indian food to a point where it's as satisfying as this really great place where I live. I imagine the problem is that I never trust the recipes as far as amounts of ingredients, and in changing them probably throw off the ratios, but off topic.

I've been doing the Japanese curries with pressure cooked short ribs, which I highly recommend.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Finally made a passable Tamagoyaki that wasn't burnt, misshapen, or de-laminating.

A pan originally meant for inept people to cook grilled cheese seems to work almost as well as a Tamagoyaki pan. It would have been nice to have a more rectangular pan, which is what a Tamagoyaki pan basically is, as I think four eggs may have been a little too much for the pan to handle. The Tamagoyaki was catching on the far lip of the pan as I was rolling it onto a new layer of egg and I had to carefully pull the roll away from the edge to get it to lay down on the new layer. Next time I'll do two batches or scale the recipe for three eggs.

When I first tried cooking it, I used my cast iron pan which worked well enough. However, I found myself needing to shift the pan a lot to get the egg to thinly spread out and cast iron is way too loving heavy to be constantly doing that. I don't like to buy too many kitchen gadgets because my kitchen is not terribly big but when I saw the grilled cheese pan at a Stop & Shop and saw that it was just $5 I figured what the hell.

For dinner, I paired it with stir-fried nappa with sliced puffed tofu and miso soup.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
thats a good lookin tamagoyaki!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Very jealous of your eggs and miso

Haize
Jun 13, 2008

Edward IV posted:

Finally made a passable Tamagoyaki that wasn't burnt, misshapen, or de-laminating.

Did you mix anything into the eggs? I find a lot of recipes want soy, mirin and sugar, and it's just too sweet. Also miso soup out of a Campbell's mug is fantastic.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Tamagoyaki is usually on the sweet side, but you can always adjust the sugar to your tastes. I wouldn't take it out entirely, the thing that improved my Japanese food more than anything was getting over my I REFUSE TO COOK WITH SUGAR period.

I usually use uzukuchi, mirin, salt, sugar, and a bit of dashi powder in mine.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Yea. You really should be using all 5 japanese seasonings (sugar, salt, vinegar, shoyu and sake) most of the time. If the flavor isn't awake, it's always one of the five.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
You're forgetting mayo, the secret 6th seasoning.

I had leftover miso risotto and made little arrancini out of them tonight, I went with bigger sized flatter ones thinking it would look like a potato croquette, but I think next time I do this I'm 100% going to make them tiny and snackable, they'll hold together better and eventually when I figure out the perfect sauce for them they'll be more dipable. The current sauce is something along the lines of a thin sriracha mayo with a bit of honey and a lot of lemon. Its ok, but it could be a lot better.

Duck Stab!
Oct 21, 2020

HERE I COME, CONSTANTINOPLE!

So I've been following this guy on Twitter for a while, and he's a hunter in Japan and makes a lot of videos of himself cooking assorted things in a hot sandwich maker and other portable cooking equipment. A lot of the stuff he cooks ends up being something like "x but a pancake" but I'm really enamored by his videos. I don't really know why.

https://twitter.com/ly_rone/status/1318386818404937729

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Duck Stab! posted:

So I've been following this guy on Twitter for a while, and he's a hunter in Japan and makes a lot of videos of himself cooking assorted things in a hot sandwich maker and other portable cooking equipment. A lot of the stuff he cooks ends up being something like "x but a pancake" but I'm really enamored by his videos. I don't really know why.

https://twitter.com/ly_rone/status/1318386818404937729

Is it possible to love and hate something at the same time?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I just discovered the ease and tastiness of Golden Curry :discourse:

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Johnny Truant posted:

Hell yeah

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Johnny Truant posted:

Is that the first curry block you've tried? Keep exploring if so. People usually think Golden Curry is the weakest type. I'm a Kokumaru/Java fan.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Is that the first curry block you've tried? Keep exploring if so. People usually think Golden Curry is the weakest type. I'm a Kokumaru/Java fan.

It is indeed, and thanks for the recs! Will definitely hit up a few other types.

Blows my mind that it called for 6 cups of water to add to the sauce mixture. I halved it and my partner and I have still had curry for one mean pety dat this entire week :eyepop:

I also added in this mixture of snow cabbage/bamboo shoots I'd never tried before and holy gently caress. Snow cabbage is loving delectable!

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I use Golden Curry very regularly and find that you can put a lot more veg in than it calls for and use just enough water to cover the vegetables (about 5 cups) and it turns out a lot better than directions. I've tried every block curry roux and I am the odd one out that prefers Golden and Vermont over the others.
I really like doing Vermont with two spoonfuls of S&B curry powder.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Also I've been getting better at tamagoyaki!! It was hard to roll at first but I've gotten the hang of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

im on the net me boys posted:

I use Golden Curry very regularly and find that you can put a lot more veg in than it calls for and use just enough water to cover the vegetables (about 5 cups) and it turns out a lot better than directions. I've tried every block curry roux and I am the odd one out that prefers Golden and Vermont over the others.
I really like doing Vermont with two spoonfuls of S&B curry powder.

weird poo poo my dude

I don't like when Japanese curry is sweet so Golden/Vermont are the worst to me. But I respect your preferences as a human.

Also feel free to mess with the liquid. I always use dashi powder at the very least. Last curry I made I added soy sauce/mirin/sake like any other Japanese thing, yuzu kosho, a few cubes of frozen garlic and ginger, a splash of vinegar at the end, some Sichuan pepper oil, and a couple squares of dark baking chocolate.