Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I blame having just watched I'm Thinking of Ending Things, but Oklahoma.

Wittgen fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Dr Gnome

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Call Me By Your Gnome?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

fauna posted:

catching a glimpse of my haggard reflection in the laptop screen, eyes black and sunken, i whisper to myself, "the last gnomicorn"

How do I make this real? I need this to be a real movie.

Also, let's expand the universe with some video games: Gnomerwatch, Dragnome Age, Agnome Us

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Is there even a way to see Lupin III The First?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Necrognomeicon

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Can ya'll give a good run down of which lupin movies to check out?
I've seen The Castle of Cagliostro, and this trailer for Lupin III the first looks cool. But there are soo many..

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
Pauly Shore and Stephen Baldwin in: Bio-Gnome.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Gnome if you want to, Gnome around the world

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

deong posted:

I've seen The Castle of Cagliostro, and this trailer for Lupin III the first looks cool. But there are soo many..

The newer ones, Jigens Gravestone and Blood of Goemon are good. The other two I've seen people recommend are Farewell to Nostradamus and The Fuma Conspiracy.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Ccs posted:

The newer ones, Jigens Gravestone and Blood of Goemon are good. The other two I've seen people recommend are Farewell to Nostradamus and The Fuma Conspiracy.

Cool, thanks a lot. Hopefully these are on CrunchyRoll.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

You should absolutely watch Secret of Mamo.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Gnoman is an island

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Whoooooooo's ready to get mad at Disney again?!

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1310991311735074818

:barf:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
ugh

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The worst part about that is, at first the story that came out was that it was simply a sequel. And that was already horrible news but then a little bit later it was clarified that no actually it's PREQUEL and it's like what the gently caress

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Macaluso posted:

The worst part about that is, at first the story that came out was that it was simply a sequel. And that was already horrible news but then a little bit later it was clarified that no actually it's PREQUEL and it's like what the gently caress

The worst WORST part is that Disney just laid off like 28,000 employees. I wonder why might have announced that and this Lion King poo poo at the same time? It's a real stumper!

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Totally only tangentially related, but has anyone tried the Disney+ groupwatch feature?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

How do I make this real? I need this to be a real movie.

Also, let's expand the universe with some video games: Gnomerwatch, Dragnome Age, Agnome Us

Fallout: Gnome Vegas

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Early leak of Mufasa's backstory:

Mufasa is a lion

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Sir Lemming posted:

Early leak of Mufasa's backstory:

Mufasa is a lion

Well I’m in

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hedrigall posted:

Well I’m in

Leaked footage of the Lion king prequel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeCkm-BEZ-8

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Awwwww :3:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

deong posted:

Secret of Mamo is great because it was made before Castle of Cagliostro set up the basic story structure that a lot of anime franchise films follow. So it's a wild, haphazard ride that is unique as hell.

The Fuma Conspiracy is solid if you want something more in the vein of Cagliostro, plus it shares a fair amount of production staff minus Miyazaki.

Legend of the Gold of Babylon is an extremely acquired taste such that a lot of people bounce off of it, but it's fascinating insomuch as it was directed by Seijun Suzuki in his only foray into anime.

Episode 0: First Contact is a surprisingly good prequel movie.

The director of Redline has been putting out a series of movies with a harder edge to them than pretty much all of the other Lupin movies. There are three so far and they all rule (Jigen's Gravestone, Goemon's Blood Spray, and Fujiko's Lie).

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

In terms of bad Lupin movies don't ever watch Return of Pycal.

I'm pretty sure that movie was just made so they had an excuse to flex some 00's DIGITAL magic.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I want to see a live-action Kovu don't @ me

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

seems like Mufasa (or whatever it will be called) will be directed by Barry Jenkins (Moonlight), so it may actually turn out to be good?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Putting my money on the title being The Lion Prince.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

The Saddest Rhino posted:

seems like Mufasa (or whatever it will be called) will be directed by Barry Jenkins (Moonlight), so it may actually turn out to be good?

It's written by the same guy who did the remake, so I'm still doubtful. And pissed that Disney is wasting one of the best working filmmakers' time on this nonsense, though I can't begrudge him for taking the paycheck.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Maybe just watch the recent TV series? It’s incredibly good.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I think any premise can be turned into a good or bad film, I don't expect "prequel to the Lion King" to actually be good, but it has just as much chance as any film. I rarely watch anything when it first comes out anyway, so if it's a surprise masterpiece I have a chance I might watch it, it's not something I would normally bother with now my kids have grown out of the general age range for that sort of thing.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I thought I had gotten over The Lion King being referred to as "live action", but apparently not!

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I want Disney to die.
It's not going to happen unless we murder capitalism first, but I do want that. Jesus Christ.

Rand Brittain posted:

Maybe just watch the recent TV series? It’s incredibly good.

You mean the Lion Guard? From what I've seen it's pretty bad and Simba apparently didn't learn the lesson from Lion King 2 and is still racist.
Also hyens are all bad except one who's "one of the good ones"
Also the writing seems to be pretty lazy from what I've seen but I watched like two episodes, I might be wrong but at this point I am biased against Disney

Nikaer Drekin posted:

The worst WORST part is that Disney just laid off like 28,000 employees. I wonder why might have announced that and this Lion King poo poo at the same time? It's a real stumper!

This, this, this. This is important. This is what's being buried here. I don't want this to be buried but I have no social capital to spread awareness. I'm angry and the world is full of powerful capitalist demigods that we can't touch and who can buy and sell our livelihoods as they please and AAAARARHGHG

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

paradoxGentleman posted:

You mean the Lion Guard? From what I've seen it's pretty bad and Simba apparently didn't learn the lesson from Lion King 2 and is still racist.

Isn’t the show set during the time jump in lion king 2 and kiara and kovu are still cubs

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

This is kind of a thing lately though, they get a director who's done prestigious stuff, and then do everything they can to turn out a bland movie-by-committee anyway. It's like stunt casting, except for the director.

starkebn posted:

I think any premise can be turned into a good or bad film, I don't expect "prequel to the Lion King" to actually be good, but it has just as much chance as any film.

I won't deny this, but being a prequel to a very simple kid's movie about animals, by a major studio who will have their fingers all over it, definitely puts it at a disadvantage.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Sir Lemming posted:

This is kind of a thing lately though, they get a director who's done prestigious stuff, and then do everything they can to turn out a bland movie-by-committee anyway. It's like stunt casting, except for the director.

I won't deny this, but being a prequel to a very simple kid's movie about animals, by a major studio who will have their fingers all over it, definitely puts it at a disadvantage.

if you let the director do their thing, I think you have a better chance at a good film. lol if you think Disney would ever let a director just do their thing though.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Shneak posted:

I want to see a live-action Kovu don't @ me

i have bad news: these are not actually live action movies

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I'd watch the CGI lion king if they swapped out all the voices for real animal sounds and had it narrated by David Attenborough.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

hiddenriverninja posted:

I'd watch the CGI lion king if they swapped out all the voices for real animal sounds and had it narrated by David Attenborough.

wasn't there a dinosaur movie with that planned but had an 11th hour dialogue inserted because they thought kids would get bored

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Robindaybird posted:

wasn't there a dinosaur movie with that planned but had an 11th hour dialogue inserted because they thought kids would get bored

If so, they apparently didn't get the memo of how Walking with Dinosaurs was the poo poo.