Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RooNe737
Sep 8, 2020
ADMIN EDIT: New World thread is this way.
---

Do you think it worth it to buy New World to get access to the Betas and stuff?

Also how do you guys feel about the game i got to play for a few days before the alpha ended and got to lvl 13 i think.
Second what do you think the best weapons to use? I was using the one handed sword and shield and the Bow for the second weapon set up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Why is the MMOG forum the only place where this kind of thing still regularly happens?

Sword and board for life OP

No.Mercy
Oct 4, 2011
personally I prefer hammer main hand and gun for my secondary (ranged) weapon

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

I didn't play in the beta week last month but played earlier and depending on nerfs, all about bow + hatchet with life staff for mobility (last major alpha, int scaled magic/elemental damage WAY more than str/dex boosted any weapon, to the point that once you got T5 gear and could roll 40% magic/ele damage mods, pure int actually worked out to more damage than the actual weapon stat, with dex + int being *even more* damage for hatchets/bows/muskets)

sword/board was legit too though, you could shieldbash stun someone -> take out your bow and shotgun them to death to one-shot people, but it was also really fun to bait people into rolling *into* bow shotgun blasts

no idea how serious group combat worked though, probably more room for things like hammer users

they gotta tweak balance in some way before the next major release, from what I heard the open beta week last month was basically there to validate that their performance tweaks were legit since they apparently did no actual balance tweaks (e.g. people still reporting that once you start to get light attacked it's very hard to break out)

they also really need to add some kind of battleground mechanic because right now if you aren't in a big company, you aren't doing largescale PVP, you're just dueling/ganking. they also have basically zero endgame PVE which is the biggest thing they need to fix for the direction they're going because they really really really don't like PVP in their game with their stupid advertisements about how important PVP is.

also to answer the OP: yeah the preorder is worth it at least via Steam since you can cancel your pre-order and worst-case get Steambux back if it's been too long (and refund window only closes post-release if you play 2 hours or wait 2 weeks)

I'm looking forward to New World cause it's a great game for people who like to mindlessly farm poo poo but also have a decent combat system for some fun fights, with a heavy heavy dose of "this game could *become* good." the overall game is kinda poo poo/pointless right now in terms of anything having meaning (crafting is the biggest grind in the game by far and ultimately a slot machine mechanic) but considering the amount of progress they made in their 180 from full-loot survival to themepark with light pvp, I foolishly have high hopes for their next major public test (mostly because I went into the alpha expecting dogshit and was pleasantly surprised)

Arkagin
Aug 25, 2020
I didn't get to play the BETA, and am interested in seeing how this goes.

RooNe737
Sep 8, 2020

No.Mercy posted:

personally I prefer hammer main hand and gun for my secondary (ranged) weapon

Yeah Def i noticed thats the best combo so far shot someone from a far then switch out and finish them off

RooNe737
Sep 8, 2020

Tempora Mutantur posted:

I didn't play in the beta week last month but played earlier and depending on nerfs, all about bow + hatchet with life staff for mobility (last major alpha, int scaled magic/elemental damage WAY more than str/dex boosted any weapon, to the point that once you got T5 gear and could roll 40% magic/ele damage mods, pure int actually worked out to more damage than the actual weapon stat, with dex + int being *even more* damage for hatchets/bows/muskets)

sword/board was legit too though, you could shieldbash stun someone -> take out your bow and shotgun them to death to one-shot people, but it was also really fun to bait people into rolling *into* bow shotgun blasts

no idea how serious group combat worked though, probably more room for things like hammer users

they gotta tweak balance in some way before the next major release, from what I heard the open beta week last month was basically there to validate that their performance tweaks were legit since they apparently did no actual balance tweaks (e.g. people still reporting that once you start to get light attacked it's very hard to break out)

they also really need to add some kind of battleground mechanic because right now if you aren't in a big company, you aren't doing largescale PVP, you're just dueling/ganking. they also have basically zero endgame PVE which is the biggest thing they need to fix for the direction they're going because they really really really don't like PVP in their game with their stupid advertisements about how important PVP is.

also to answer the OP: yeah the preorder is worth it at least via Steam since you can cancel your pre-order and worst-case get Steambux back if it's been too long (and refund window only closes post-release if you play 2 hours or wait 2 weeks)

I'm looking forward to New World cause it's a great game for people who like to mindlessly farm poo poo but also have a decent combat system for some fun fights, with a heavy heavy dose of "this game could *become* good." the overall game is kinda poo poo/pointless right now in terms of anything having meaning (crafting is the biggest grind in the game by far and ultimately a slot machine mechanic) but considering the amount of progress they made in their 180 from full-loot survival to themepark with light pvp, I foolishly have high hopes for their next major public test (mostly because I went into the alpha expecting dogshit and was pleasantly surprised)

Yeah i was thinking about going the Steam route because like you said you can return it.
I never got to try the staff but i did see some people using it. I am very interested in seeing what more of the end game is going to be like. I know they said theres not really a lvl cap.
I didnt get to join a company now do they get any buff for being in one? like other games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
I think you're helping generate way more interest in this game and it'll absolutely be a commercial success thanks to having twice as many threads as other MMOs!