Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Makes sense. They can film a "live action" movie with zero humans. The perfect COVID movie set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Detective No. 27 posted:

Makes sense. They can film a "live action" movie with zero humans. The perfect COVID movie set.

Weren't there zero actual animals in the first "live-action" one too?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

I’m told that the story will further explore the mythology of the characters, including Mufasa’s origin story. 

loving WHY

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The same reason every alien in the Mos Eisley Cantina has an elaborate backstory of adventure!

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I've been watching a Lion King tv show with my kid and Simba's son loses control of his anger and accidentally opens a portal to Hell and Scar comes out and he's a drippy lava ghost now, that's less dumb than Mufasa: Origins.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Not to get too heavy in a film thread, but the extent to which the IRA 'won' is incredibly debatable. The situation for Catholics within Northern Ireland was certainly hugely better after the GFA, but that is closer to the goal of the NI Civil Rights movement, which pre-dates the PIRA, than the stated primary aim of any variant of the IRA., The island was not re-united and the Provisional IRA itself was riddled with British informers and agents all the way up to the core strategic planner advising the Army Council (who guided them to politics and peace). Even the guy in charge of the internal security unit, that killed more IRA than the Brits, was an agent.
Both sides ground each other to a mutually acceptable stalemate, but declaring the IRA to have won is a very very surface reading when you look at where, ideologically, they started from and where they ended.

I mean they may end up getting a re-unified island but that's more an unforced error on the UK's part.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
In a better time I would have hoped something like this would be the rise of Mufasa from cub to King as he forged his empire and we get something like an epic as he leads armies of animals across the lands in conquest and whatnot.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Iron Crowned posted:

The same reason every alien in the Mos Eisley Cantina has an elaborate backstory of adventure!

World Building!

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Aren't there already like 2 or 3 direct to video Lion King sequels? Just remake one of those, no one watches those anyway

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

joylessdivision posted:

Aren't there already like 2 or 3 direct to video Lion King sequels? Just remake one of those, no one watches those anyway

When I read "Lion King sequel" I initially thought that's what they were doing and was getting ready to lament the sad state of affairs that Disney is so unstoppable that they can just remake their lovely DTV sequels from the Dark Age of Disney.

Mufasa's origin story is an even DUMBER idea. He's literally the wise old mentor whose only purpose is to die. What's next, an Uncle Ben movie?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORifieiZiP4

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

Mufasa's origin story is an even DUMBER idea. He's literally the wise old mentor whose only purpose is to die. What's next, an Uncle Ben movie?

Uncle Ben: Into the Benverse.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

You got Ben Parker, Old Ben Kenobi, the rice guy...

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

AceOfFlames posted:

There's a What If... comic where Uncle Ben happens to accept the Power Cosmic from Galactus immediately before getting shot and it rules so the premise itself is sound.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
They should mine the alt universe for ideas, like the Twisted Tales books and Cinderella 3.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Given that over at DC Comic we already had Flashpoint turning Thomas Wayne into Batman and him later turning evil and teaming up with Earth-1 Bane and Jor-El turning out to be alive, evil then sort of ambiguous, I'm shocked Marvel hasn't tried to bring back Uncle Ben in some way (I think they once brought back a clone or something).

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Maybe the sequel will be about how monarchy is a bad thing and that being born a hyena or something shouldn't automatically make you a second class citizen.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

joylessdivision posted:

And there was a Timon and Pumbaa cartoon back in the 90s.

The Lion King 1 1/2 though is basically the Rozencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead of the series.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Sorry not watching any lion kings until they release the butthole cut.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There was a rumor that Sony was interested in developing an Aunt May movie

Which if they were to do that, it would need to be the film adaptation of one of the dumbest pieces of Spider-Man related media, the ‘Trouble’ limited series which chronicles how May met Ben and also how Aunt May used to gently caress

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trouble_(comics)

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Which if they were to do that, it would need to be the film adaptation of one of the dumbest pieces of Spider-Man related media, the ‘Trouble’ limited series which chronicles how May met Ben and also how Aunt May used to gently caress

Also that Aunt May was actually Peter's mom because Ben shoots blanks and she slept with Ben's brother.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

FlamingLiberal posted:

You could probably make a pretty decent comedy out of that one storyline where Doctor Octopus marries her to try and steal a power plant she'd inherited.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Red Bones posted:

You could probably make a pretty decent comedy out of that one storyline where Doctor Octopus marries her to try and steal a power plant she'd inherited.

Yeah if you have Marisa Tomei as your lead and don't make it a comedy, you've hosed up big time.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Disney keeps wasting the time of talented people ugh...
Such a fantastic powerful filmmaker and his next film is a live action lion king sequel? Gtfo

Yall studios better not try to make (with an enormous truck full of money) bong joon ho direct the next james bond or doctor strange or some similar stupid loving poo poo i would have liked at 8 years old

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Disney keeps wasting the time of talented people ugh...
Such a fantastic powerful filmmaker and his next film is a live action lion king sequel? Gtfo

Yall studios better not try to make (with an enormous truck full of money) bong joon ho direct the next james bond or doctor strange or some similar stupid loving poo poo i would have liked at 8 years old

If he were a fantastic filmmaker he wouldn't be making a Lion King prequel, and if he were a powerful filmmaker he'd be able to make that Lion King prequel powerful.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Lion King 1 1/2 though is basically the Rozencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead of the series.

Dammit, I don't even care for the lion king at all, but now I sort of want to watch this.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And there was a Timon and Pumbaa cartoon back in the 90s.

1 is Hamlet and 2 is Romeo and Juliet.

Which Shakespeare would this new prequel be?

Henry V would be cool.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Zero One posted:

1 is Hamlet and 2 is Romeo and Juliet.

Which Shakespeare would this new prequel be?

Henry V would be cool.
Titus Andronicus. Guest voice Gordon Ramsay.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

If he were a fantastic filmmaker he wouldn't be making a Lion King prequel, and if he were a powerful filmmaker he'd be able to make that Lion King prequel powerful.

This post made me yell so loud I went super saiyan.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yeah if you have Marisa Tomei as your lead and don't make it a comedy, you've hosed up big time.

Marisa Tomei as Golden Oldie is how the MCU is going to introduce Galactus.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

AceOfFlames posted:

When I read "Lion King sequel" I initially thought that's what they were doing and was getting ready to lament the sad state of affairs that Disney is so unstoppable that they can just remake their lovely DTV sequels from the Dark Age of Disney.

An origin story for Mufasa is the dumbest idea because the loving theme song for the first movie states that these events are circular. Like, no poo poo will Mufasa have faced some hardship on his way to the throne, the birth of his son is almost the exact same scene that shows the birth of Simba's kid. And we already know what Simba went through, so what's the point?

The only open question is where Mufasa's R2D2/C3PO are, did he eat them or what?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/deadline/status/1311021405518127104?s=21

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Peccadillo posted:

Yankie Death Note is miles better than the cartoon

honestly it's a stupid comparison because they're not trying to do the same thing at all, and basically all they have in common is a protagonist named Light and a weird demon thing named Ryuk that gives him a kill-people book.

like, even if you boil them down to their core themes, Death Note USA is about how white privilege makes it possible for people to do blatantly awful poo poo and completely get away with it despite being comically incompetent, while competent POC get thrown under the bus in the process of trying to stop them. meanwhile, Death Note JPN is about how Japanese society's attitude towards criminals and the core theses of their justice system are hosed up, and anyone who takes them to the logical conclusion is inevitably going to turn into a pseudo-Orwellian genocidal rear end in a top hat. they're only vaguely related at all, and comparing the two seems almost bizarre.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Wasn't a movie about Peter Parker's parents one of the many spinoffs Sony was planning?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Failed Imagineer posted:

are you contending that it is not possible for a good filmmaker to make a bad film, not even once

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

DeimosRising posted:

are you contending that it is not possible for a good filmmaker to make a bad film, not even once

honestly I just wanted to rile people up but I don't have any commitment to the bit

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Failed Imagineer posted:

honestly I just wanted to rile people up but I don't have any commitment to the bit

ok i respect that

i was definitely pondering how many people would pass the test though, 5 features or more only

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

DeimosRising posted:

ok i respect that

i was definitely pondering how many people would pass the test though, 5 features or more only

David Lynch, Denis Villeneuve, Debra Granik, Werner Herzog

E: the 5 features is a tough hurdle

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Failed Imagineer posted:

David Lynch, Denis Villeneuve, Debra Granik, Werner Herzog

E: the 5 features is a tough hurdle

i'm not a fan of villeneuve's last couple. herzog has too many movies i haven't seen, some of them could be stupid perhaps. lynch i'll agree with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Agree to disagree on those.

Cuaron and DelToro work (Cuaron might have done a Harry Potter but it's the only good one)

Inarritu definitely not tho.

Fincher almost nails it but Alien 3 and Benjamin Button l, ehhhhh