Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
just because one guy got satire right doesn't mean everyone else should do it too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
reimagining fight club as a dudes rock movie

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

rotor posted:

I kinda think it is though. If you make satire and it ends up as propaganda for the people you're satirizing, maybe your movie isn't good.

yeah, all satire is bad, and also all art

and all statements that have been made and can be made, really

there will always be people who misunderstand

matti
Mar 31, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw_JrV8HYHE

glad to hear this isnt poo poo

https://variety.com/2020/film/reviews/tove-review-moomins-1234763067/

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i watched Ponyo last night. it was weird and cool. i liked it.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Jonny 290 posted:

we were doing a ghibli kick the past couple of months. it was pretty good though certainly their 2005+ movies haven't been nearly as good.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Carthag Tuek posted:

yeah, all satire is bad, and also all art

and all statements that have been made and can be made, really

this. book burn all copies of starship trooper and robocop. unnecessary fascism apologia. the only thing worth watching is Crash 2004 on repeat for the rest of your life

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Xaris posted:

we were doing a ghibli kick the past couple of months. it was pretty good though certainly their 2005+ movies haven't been nearly as good.

i dunno, arrietty is in my top 5

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Xaris posted:

this. book burn all copies of starship trooper and robocop. unnecessary fascism apologia. the only thing worth watching is Crash 2004 on repeat for the rest of your life

no, crash 2004 is also bad

you can dream up some art in your head i guess, but never speak it out loud or show it to anyone

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Xaris posted:

i mean, ponyo specifically is a weird one since it is clearly made for the very young (without pixar wink-at-the-adult nonsense), so it is hard to judge as an adult.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I had to watch wolf of wall street again because I kept thinking of the scene where jonah hill just stands there jerking off at a party and it was cracking me up

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Xaris posted:

providing entertainment is important and if that means we unwittingly enable fascism then that's just the price we must pay to watch a good movie.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

someone get leni reifenstahl on the phone

matti
Mar 31, 2019

Jonny 290 posted:

its dumb cute flick

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
also has the most authentic "using a ham radio" scene that i've ever seen in a film, just about, ever. She sets up what appears to be a Diamond HFV-5 dipole antenna which is very popular in Japan, tunes into a valid voice frequency on the 6 meter band on a radio that looks exactly like an Icom 7000, and uses what would be a valid (though fictional) Japanese call sign. i smiled so big

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's really nice when they get the details right like that

the movie K-19: The Widowmaker is not very good overall, but the part where they go in to fix the reactor is the most accurate welding i've seen in a film. they actually use two different rigs to do the cutting and the welding! first they haul in an oxyacetylene rig with an actual cutting torch fitted and use it to remove the broken pipe. then they pull that out and go in with a stick welder to fit it back together, even properly scratch-starting the arc.

after 10000 films where no distinction is made between welding and cutting, and both are just a blue propane flame that shoots sparks everywhere like they're welding with a sparkler, it was quite wonderful

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that is the first time i've ever heard a movie getting oxygen cutting right. Ever. In history.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Jonny 290 posted:

also has the most authentic "using a ham radio" scene that i've ever seen in a film, just about, ever. She sets up what appears to be a Diamond HFV-5 dipole antenna which is very popular in Japan, tunes into a valid voice frequency on the 6 meter band on a radio that looks exactly like an Icom 7000, and uses what would be a valid (though fictional) Japanese call sign. i smiled so big

man thats cute as hell

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

that is the first time i've ever heard a movie getting oxygen cutting right. Ever. In history.

if the artemis movie adaptation ever makes it out there might be two

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

the movie K-19: The Widowmaker is not very good overall, but the part where they go in to fix the reactor is the most accurate welding i've seen in a film. they actually use two different rigs to do the cutting and the welding! first they haul in an oxyacetylene rig with an actual cutting torch fitted and use it to remove the broken pipe. then they pull that out and go in with a stick welder to fit it back together, even properly scratch-starting the arc.

after 10000 films where no distinction is made between welding and cutting, and both are just a blue propane flame that shoots sparks everywhere like they're welding with a sparkler, it was quite wonderful

weird that james camerons ex wife would know exactly whats needed to entrap someone in an underwater tomb

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

weird that james camerons ex wife would know exactly whats needed to entrap someone in an underwater tomb

lol

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

k-19 the widowmaker is really good, I liked it even though I don't usually like that sort of movie

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

:thurman:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's okay, but when the genre has things like the hunt for red october and das boot, ehhhhhh

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

it's okay, but when the genre has things like the hunt for red october and das boot, ehhhhhh

it's underrated I think

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

hahahahaha

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lmbo

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
firefox is a better cold war thriller movie than hunt for red october, imho

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
you have to think in russian

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
everyone remembers the final third of the movie (with the dogfights and the submarine refueling) and rightly so, but the middle third (eastwood being smuggled from moscow to the airbase) is a wonderfully grimy and nasty cold war spy movie (ala john le carre) in its own right

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol @ the synopsis for today's Kindle bargain

quote:

Eight self-drive cars set on a collision course. Who lives, who dies? You decide.

When someone hacks into the systems of eight self-driving cars, their passengers are set on a fatal collision course.

The passengers are: a TV star, a pregnant young woman, a disabled war hero, an abused wife fleeing her husband, an illegal immigrant, a husband and wife - and parents of two - who are travelling in separate vehicles and a suicidal man. Now the public have to judge who should survive but are the passengers all that they first seem?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0845QTT1S

:tesla:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol @ the synopsis for today's Kindle bargain

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0845QTT1S

:tesla:

I’d go with the wife.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

if they bought the cars themselves they all deserve to die

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

noice

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Orc Chief: OK lads, who brought these ladders..?

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Orc Chief: OK lads, who brought these ladders..?

lol

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Busy with Harrow the Ninth, the followup to Gideon the Ninth.

Harrow is probably insane and keeps reading printed messages where all her compatriots see something totally different

:thunkher:

God, the ruler of the universe explains why he can't be in the final battle

:thunk:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
holy poo poo lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them