Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Progressive JPEG posted:

FYI just doing "jq .properties.temperature.value" would also be valid.
code:
$ curl -s 'https://api.weather.gov/stations/KSFO/observations/latest' | jq .properties.temperature.value
There is literally always something new to learn about the utilities in the toolkit. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Another batch of OpenPandemics beta WUs is in flight right now. This seems to be a much larger beta than the previous two (I've gotten ~120 WUs so far, compared with 7 from the 2nd beta and 0 from the 1st). The WUs also have very consistent runtimes, which hints that they're machine generated rather than the hand-rolled WUs of all sizes from previous betas..

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

I'm starting RAM upgrades on my compute farm, and used that as an excuse to switch from manual underclock/undervolting to simple setting a PPT limit. The super-short version of the story is "for your own sanity's sake, just set the PPT and then watch temps and clocks for a bit. Turn the knob up or down until you hit the spot you're looking for."

The long version is here: https://firepear.net/grid/updates-2020/#2020-05-10-ryzen-and-ppt

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

OpenPandemics is live on World Community Grid.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

It's been a little over 24h since OPN went live. WUProp is showing 81k WUs crunched in the past 24 hours, which is 10X the rate of the next-most-busy subproject (MCM, with 7.98k).

It's nice to see a project start with floodgates opening, rather than the very disappointing near-nothing that ARP's initial workrate produced.

Rosetta saw 47k WUs in the past 24h, but Rosetta WUs take 3.5X or 4X as long on my hardware -- so Rosetta has done roughly the equivalent of 175,000 OPN WUs, just over 2X the workrate.

I know it's not a contest, but it is fun to play with numbers.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I was surprised to see my task list so full of OPN work this morning considering I got all of zero beta units. Also it looks like it's on Android too - I have an old phone running WCG and Rosetta which has a ton of OPN tasks.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I didn't realize there was a BOINC for android. I have like 50 phones that used to be for GPT earning stuff that aren't in use right now, might put a few on there and see how hot they get.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Discussion Quorum posted:

I was surprised to see my task list so full of OPN work this morning considering I got all of zero beta units. Also it looks like it's on Android too - I have an old phone running WCG and Rosetta which has a ton of OPN tasks.

The beta didn't initially include ARM (it's not just Android, it's also Linux on ARM), but they added it during the second phase, I think.

They've also said they are looking to leverage the Autodock GPU work, but that it is a secondary goal to getting the project running ASAP.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

mdxi posted:

The beta didn't initially include ARM (it's not just Android, it's also Linux on ARM), but they added it during the second phase, I think.

Yeah but I didn't get any on PC either. Granted I was mainly running Rosetta and Ibercivis (whenever WUs were available, anyways) so my WCG work rate fell off a fair bit. I've also never gotten a single Africa Rainfall task, although I know that one is sensitive to machine settings and haven't really investigated the matter.

Rexxed posted:

I didn't realize there was a BOINC for android. I have like 50 phones that used to be for GPT earning stuff that aren't in use right now, might put a few on there and see how hot they get.

Mine doesn't get very hot, but it's a lovely old Moto G5S+ so YMMV. It is slightly warm to the touch, warm enough that I don't use it on my current phone but that's mostly out of paranoia around wanting to make the battery last as long as possible. I don't care about the Moto because I sold it on eBay, it got returned because "wifi doesn't work" (yes it does), and I don't give enough of a poo poo to try to sell it again for < $50 :v:

You don't have a full selection of projects but I run Rosetta, some WCG projects (mainly SCC and now OPN), and Asteroids.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Discussion Quorum posted:

I've also never gotten a single Africa Rainfall task, although I know that one is sensitive to machine settings and haven't really investigated the matter.

ARP is doing weather forecasting -- well, it's testing various algorithms for weather forecasting -- so the full year of simulation can't be generated in advance. Each WU is one day of simulation for one forecast area, and its output is used as input for the next WU belonging to that same forecast area.

The ARP team did double the number of WUs in-flight, because the initial number was just vanishingly small compared to the number of WCG users who wanted to help the project. They discussed doubling it again, but decided against it. Their reasoning was that at the current rate, they can actually do their analysis of the returned data live, rather than having data pile up for analysis later. So there's only ever something like 7,500 ARP WUs in-flight at a given time.

It's nowhere near as bad as HSTB, which releases WUs on a clock every hour, but you still need to get a little lucky.

Tuxide
Mar 7, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Here we are in numbers right now. There seems to be some fatigue in a few areas fueled by lack of information coming from some of these projects, so there's been nothing terribly exciting to report.

In Asteroids@Home, we've climbed to #181 in Total credit.

In Folding@home, we've dropped to #54. Folding's overall compute power has dropped to 2.24 exaFLOPS.

In Rosetta@Home, goons have dropped to #75 in Recent average credit. Once again, we are competing to stay ahead of Team Brony@Home. We have also dropped to #203 in Total credit. Info from Rosetta seems to be siloed to Twitter for whatever reason, but they do report the following:

Rosetta@Home posted:

"COVID update:

Our project scientists submitted over 28M "scaffold design" work units in recent weeks.

Those helped enable a further 200M "binder design" calculations!

Initial laboratory testing of these candidate COVID treatments is underway.

Thanks to all crunchers!"

"This is just the first wave. Expect hundreds of millions of additional work units to be issued in the coming weeks and months.

We need you now more than ever!"

In TN-Grid, our Recent average credit ranking has dropped to #19, and our Total credit ranking has risen to #68. They're still offering WUs outside (but near or related to) the range they specified, but I wouldn't be surprised if they expand it anyways due to how the experts are now saying SARS-CoV-2 affects the cardiovascular system as well.

In Ibercivis, we've dropped to #35 in both Recent average credit and Total credit.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I found that Ibercivis tasks were hard to get for a while, although during the week if I force an update in the morning (US, early afternoon Spanish time) I seem to have better luck.

GPUGrid work seems to have dried up for me as well, so I grab a batch of Asteroids every now and then. Might go back to running F@H until OPN comes out with a GPU client.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
I tried to chip in to Folding@Home for a bit, but kept running into some weird problem where it'd deliberately pause my receiving of GPU workloads. On re-enabling it, it'd only fitfully download anything new, so I went back to Einstein@Home, and just joined the team. Here's hoping my 7940x + Vega setup helps the team's position out a bit.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I noticed yesterday that GPU WUs seemed to have been exhausted, but eventually got one this morning.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

My team (which is effectively just me) is now ranked 499th by points for World Community Grid.

This is kinda awesome, because it means that one person with 6 modern, high-core CPUs can crack the top 500 of a major community computing initiative. But it's also kinda sad, because maybe one person with only 6 CPUs shouldn't be able to make it into the top 500?

It's definitely a proof of the compute efficiency of current-gen desktop CPUs though. I'm 499 by points, but 572 by WUs returned and 882 by cumulative compute time.

This post sponsored by AMD's upcoming 4th generation Ryzen processors

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.
I mostly let BOINC run without checking in on it too much. This morning I just saw they're no longer distributing SETI@HOME tasks! That's all I've done since 2002 and I'm at a bit of a loss now. Guess I have to find another project...

EDIT: Chose Rosetta@Home and joined the SA team.

modeski fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 18, 2020

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

mdxi posted:

My team (which is effectively just me) is now ranked 499th by points for World Community Grid.

This is kinda awesome, because it means that one person with 6 modern, high-core CPUs can crack the top 500 of a major community computing initiative. But it's also kinda sad, because maybe one person with only 6 CPUs shouldn't be able to make it into the top 500?

It's definitely a proof of the compute efficiency of current-gen desktop CPUs though. I'm 499 by points, but 572 by WUs returned and 882 by cumulative compute time.

This post sponsored by AMD's upcoming 4th generation Ryzen processors

You're slightly edging out the entire SA WCG team in result turn-ins. What are the six CPUs that you're using?

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Four 3900Xs (PPT limited to 70/80W, which results in clocks between 3.4 and 3.5GHz), and two 2700s throttled to 3.2GHz.

The 3900s are doing the bulk of the work.

Tuxide
Mar 7, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I know it's been a while, but here's an update from TN-Grid dated May 25. Basically, the membrane stuff is done and the SARS-CoV-2 fight has moved on to the immune system, particularly antibodies.

TN-Grid posted:

The first batch of genes related to COVID-19 has been completed. We sent the results, for further analysis, to the Univ. of Modena & Reggio Emilia School of Medicine, Italy. Starting from today we added another batch of genes, per request of the aforementioned institution. Most of them are antibodies, so the focus right now is the immune system.

Here is the list of the genes: PTPRC CD28 CCR7 PDCD1 SNCA SPATA2 CD27 B3GAT1 IL7 IL2RA ISG20 FAS PTPN13 CD38 CD74 CD24 CR2

Tuxide
Mar 7, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
An update from Rosetta@Home concerning the fight against SARS-CoV-2. Sounds like the University of Washington over in Seattle found something from all the Rosetta workunits, and they'll soon be moving on to in vivo animal testing.

https://twitter.com/RosettaAtHome/status/1276324218582360065

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

I will absolutely take that good news. Thank you for sharing it.

I'll like it more when there's a more expansive news release :)

Also, I stole your goon valor and posted that to r/boinc because (to my complete shock) no one else had yet, and it's absolutely worth sharing more widely. i will give you half the value of any accrued internet points.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

I've been working on adding support for ARM machines to Homefarm. I present to you today's project.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

There is an update from ForliLab (the Scripps half of the OPN research team) on what, specfically, is being done in the current WUs, and their future plans. Lots of good stuff in there.

Tuxide
Mar 7, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
There is an update from Ivercivis, the Spanish BOINC group that was looking into using existing drugs to fight SARS-CoV-2. From email:

Ibercivis BOINC posted:

Thank you for collaborating in the Boinc COVID-PHYM project

Dear Tuxide

During these days we have finished the first phase of the COVID-PHYM project, which means that, during the next few weeks we will not have workunits -at least until the firs days of october- to process.

The CSIC research team is currently working on the first scientific article using the obtained results, which will be available in pre-print in the coming weeks and we will send it to you by mail.

These are the credits you have obtained with your participation in the project:
CREDITS: 25527

You can also download your certificate of participation in the project by clicking on the following link.

In the next days we will return with BOINC. From Ibercivis we want to thank you deeply for your collaboration in the project and we hope you will continue with us from September.

Kind regards
Ibercivis

Download your participation certificate

Team Something Awful ended on #37 on the Total Credits ranking. Good job!

Tuxide fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 28, 2020

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

It's cool enough outside now so I'm turning on the space heater again. I got my fan curves and power limits dialed in so both CPU and GPU stay at a quiet and comfortable 65C while burning ~315W.

Folding@Home on the GPU, Rosetta and TN-Grid on the CPU.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Anyone seeing a lack of COVID-19 tasks on GPUs this week? I just noticed that despite the preference I'm getting other workloads (on F@H).

Tuxide
Mar 7, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Less Fat Luke posted:

Anyone seeing a lack of COVID-19 tasks on GPUs this week? I just noticed that despite the preference I'm getting other workloads (on F@H).

I get the impression that research groups are mostly moving their testing on from in silico to in vivo. I haven't done F@H for a while, but that's the impression I get from Rosetta. I haven't been seeing any tasks from Rosetta with COVID-19 in their names for some time now, so it's either there is no COVID-19 work, or the current work is relevant in some way but comes from outside vendors and they put names on their WUs that make sense to them and nobody else.

Also, some days-old news from Rosetta@Home and TN-Grid:

Rosetta@Home posted:

Today we report in Science [PDF] the design of small proteins that protect cells from SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. In experiments involving lab-grown human cells, the activity of the lead antiviral candidate produced (LCB1) was found to rival that of the best-known SARS-CoV-2 neutralizing antibodies. LCB1 is currently being evaluated in rodents.

:words:

https://www.bakerlab.org/index.php/2020/09/09/covid-minibinders/

TLDR: Rosetta@Home itself wasn't directly used to design the LCB1 antiviral candidate, but it was used to design the relevant scaffolds, and many similar designs that bind to SARS-CoV-2 were engineered using Rosetta@Home.

TN-Grid posted:

Our gene@home project (hosted by the University of Trento, Italy) has been chosen by AMD as a recipient for their COVID-19 HPC fund, see the official announcement https://www.amd.com/en/corporate/hpc-fund

We are really grateful to receive this donation, it will give us access to high performance computing nodes, boosting our research. More info and comments here: https://gene.disi.unitn.it/test/forum_thread.php?id=291

Basically, AMD's letting TN-Grid borrow a couple computers for a whole year, each with an AMD Epyc "Rome" and 8 AMD Radeon Instinct MI50 Accelerators.

_________

I haven't done one of these in a while, but here's where the goons are in numbers.

In Asteroids@Home, we are currently #46 in Recent average credit and we've gone up to #151 in Total credit. COVID-19 stuff might be winding down, so there might be more interest in other projects like Asteroids again.

In Folding@home, we've gone down to #68 in rankings.

In Rosetta@Home, goons have jumped up to #58 in Recent average credit, and we have risen to #174 in Total credit.

In TN-Grid, they reported last week that COVID-19 related gene work here is still strong and being expanded on. Our Recent average credit ranking is now #19, and our Total credit ranking has risen to #54.

Ibercivis :rip:

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Also, WCG's September update for OpenPandemics said that they were continuing work to get Autodock GPU out the door. IBM is doing code review, and devs are optimizing the OpenCL. No expectations for getting it out the door though.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
Folding@Home is beta testing a new GPU folding core which supports both CUDA and OpenCL. It gives a speed boost on all Nvidia GPUs, especially on the lower core count GPUs: 1660 Super:31%, 1080Ti:25%, 2080Ti:20% or 3080:14%. Due to the quick return bonus, even though the relative speedup is higher on the lower tier cards, the actual points boost will be higher on the bigger cards. Looking forward to this going live so my 1660 Super folds faster than the RX 5600 XT.

Unfortunately, low atom count work units still under-utilize the bigger cards, but they're working on segmenting GPUs better in the future, so they'll get work units more suited to their core count.

Edit: I tried running BOINC on a couple of Android devices, but while I did return some valid results in the WCG Covid-19 project, I got a lot of work units that failed due to segfaults, so I gave up. It was a cheap phone and a cheap Asus pad, so they might have had instability in anything from Android to the storage.

Vir fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Sep 28, 2020

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Folding@Home has released the CUDA folding core. There are also some bug fixes for AMD cards, but with this the Nvidia cards have an even bigger advantage for folding.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Vir posted:

Folding@Home has released the CUDA folding core. There are also some bug fixes for AMD cards, but with this the Nvidia cards have an even bigger advantage for folding.

Yeah it's super dumb (in a good way!). I went from 540k PPD to over 1.05m overnight. Absolutely silly.

Is there any reason why I *shouldn't* run Folding@Home on my CPU?

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Zarin posted:

Yeah it's super dumb (in a good way!). I went from 540k PPD to over 1.05m overnight. Absolutely silly.
1660 Ti owners got a 270% improvement or something. My 1660 Super is now faster than the best AMD card.

AMD's engineers better get working on those ROCm drivers and see if they can optimize them for folding without hurting the more memory intensive compute tasks.

Zarin posted:

Is there any reason why I *shouldn't* run Folding@Home on my CPU?
If you have a low core count CPU without AVX support, you probably shouldn't CPU fold. Also, if your CPU clocks down too much, it starts to bottleneck the GPU folding - at least it used to under OpenCL. So if you are GPU folding with an old CPU you might want to see if your toal system PPD rises with or without CPU folding enabled.

CPU folding is less energy efficient than GPU folding, so if you need to run your air conditioner, then you should probably pause CPU folding until the weather gets colder.

Even so, Folding@Home needs CPU folders, so CPU folding isn't dead.

If you have a fairly modern Ryzen or Threadripper CPU with SMT, the most efficient number of threads appears to be 2 below the CPU's thread count, and subtract 2 threads per GPU. So if you're only CPU folding on a 32 thread Ryzen 9 3950X, the most efficient setup is folding on 30 threads. If you have one GPU as well, then 28 or 26 CPU threads is better. A Ryzen 5 3600 running a GPU is best run with 8 threads. CUDA might have changed this, so we might to check. The CUDA core still shows 100% CPU utilization, but this is just an active wait state, so real testing is needed to see if you can now fold with more CPU threads together with the GPU.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Vir posted:

If you have a low core count CPU without AVX support, you probably shouldn't CPU fold. Also, if your CPU clocks down too much, it starts to bottleneck the GPU folding - at least it used to under OpenCL. So if you are GPU folding with an old CPU you might want to see if your toal system PPD rises with or without CPU folding enabled.

CPU folding is less energy efficient than GPU folding, so if you need to run your air conditioner, then you should probably pause CPU folding until the weather gets colder.

Even so, Folding@Home needs CPU folders, so CPU folding isn't dead.

Looks like I have an i7-8700k; I currently have it set at 10 threads, which I think is -1 for each GPU I have (there are two in this machine at the moment; one for gaming, and another extra spare one I have that just does folding 24/7)

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

If you check the logs, you'll probably see many instances of the folding core automatically dropping down to 8 folding threads because it doesn't like a number of threads which is divisible by 5, 7 or other large primes.

Edit: Your CPU has AVX2, which means it should be pretty good for folding.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I wanted to do F@H gpu folding on top of my BOINC-based projects, but the fact that it would ignore me telling my computer to sleep was a deal breaker. I'm too lazy to have to pop open its dashboard and turn it off manually before I go to bed.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

That's weird, which OS?

If you're already maxed out doing BOINC, it might not be worth the time to set up Folding as well, but I've never heard of hibernation being interrupted by folding. I do know that the "on idle" setting has very mixed results, especially with GPU folding, and that sometimes manually pausing the GPU folding or making a script for it works better than idle detection.

Folding is actually a bit time sensitive, especially the current "Moonshot" project sprints, which only gives you like 24 hours to complete a work unit. So if you don't use your computer most every day, folding might not be suited for it.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Windows 10. My computer is in my bedroom, which is why I stick it in sleep mode when I go to bed. Leaving F@H on would cause the computer to just lock instead of go to sleep unless I went into the dash and turned off all folding. I have an AMD card, which leaves me out of pretty much all gpu-based tasks on WCG/TN-grid/whatever the gently caress the third project I have on there is, hence wanting to add F@H into the mix.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

You might try to set the "disable-sleep-when-active" to "false" in the Expert tab in your client configuration. That would allow you to use Sleep, but you should check if the GPU core correctly resumes from checkpoint when it wakes up again, or if it just abandons the work unit.

The reason for this issue seems to be that Sleep and Hibernate doesn't store the contents of the GPU's VRAM, only the state of CPU processes, so FAH "solves" it by blocking the sleep function while GPU folding. It's apparently hard to program around too, because of the GPU permissions that Windows gives to applications. Same reason why you shouldn't be folding on Remote Desktop, but should be physically logged in. (You can start new GPU work units while logged into Remote Desktop, but if you log out it won't start a new one when the current WU finishes.)

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

WCG did a beta yesterday for new Mapping Cancer Markers code. MCM is currently their oldest project -- but only because everytime they finish a dataset for one type of cancer, the researchers come back with a new giant batch for another type.

The interesting part is that there were beta WUs for ARM as well as x86. MCM has never (to my knowledge) been an ARM project before. My RPis picked up 3 beta WUs each, which was pretty cool.

When this goes into production, WCG will have two projects that run on ARM (OpenPandemics is the other).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I started folding the other day, with the following specs:

9900K @5.1 all core avx
32gb 4000mhz
2x GTX980 @ 1550mhz

I first ran it for a while and I was getting around 180k per day on my CPU and around 800-820k on each of the GPUs, but I had a system crash because of something unrelated (bethesda engine bullshit) and now when I go to fold the CPU is running around the same but the GPUs are sitting on like, 10k each. Which is obviously not worth it for the electricity used. Does anyone have any ideas?

Also holy gently caress but goons are 69th in the world in f@h, thats crazy good

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Oct 10, 2020