Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
I've seen plenty of Genshin guides on characters, but are there any on what weapons are generally better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Is anyone actually playing Genshin on mobile? I don't have a windows computer, so my options are android and ps4.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I've been playing it on iPad and PC. iPad is bloody awkward, and I hate the virtual dpad, but it does mean I can play in bed while I fail to fall asleep.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

gay for gacha posted:

Is anyone actually playing Genshin on mobile? I don't have a windows computer, so my options are android and ps4.

I am. The controls are a little wonky but it works just fine. It does make my phone get a little hot though, so maybe I’ll see about finding time to be at my computer

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I installed it on my phone and it certainly runs okay enough I guess but it hangs if I switch apps.

And of course the loving screenshot button moved to the app switcher in Android 11..

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Largepotato posted:

I've seen plenty of Genshin guides on characters, but are there any on what weapons are generally better?

https://genshin.gg/weapons

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
What kind of broken is my brain if this game is making me wish more games I'd otherwise like on their own merit were gachas as well.

I'm about to hit rank 15 and am wondering just how gated some of the harder content is by raw stats given that damage avoidance is fairly skill based.

Genshin feels like it was made to fit my tastes exactly, god drat.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Sab Sabbington posted:

What kind of broken is my brain if this game is making me wish more games I'd otherwise like on their own merit were gachas as well.

I'm about to hit rank 15 and am wondering just how gated some of the harder content is by raw stats given that damage avoidance is fairly skill based.

Genshin feels like it was made to fit my tastes exactly, god drat.

Dozens of people during the Chinese Beta cleared the hardest current content with nothing but the core characters you get naturally. The Gatcha really is just a mix of BIGGER NUMBERS and Waifu/Husbando collector sim.

Ougher
Jan 16, 2005

Xaerael posted:

Chests don't respawn.

Common chests do respawn, but none of the fancy ones. Not sure on the timer, but I for sure opened one today that I opened yesterday. I dont think you get any primogems for the repeat commons chests tho.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

gay for gacha posted:

I am. It's not the easiest thing to control, and it eats your battery like nothing else. Frankly would recommend PS4.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Trying to play it on a PC with an Xbox controller is gonna make me lose my mind.

They need to let us remap the controls because right now they are fuckin whack.

Ougher
Jan 16, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Trying to play it on a PC with an Xbox controller is gonna make me lose my mind.

Yeah I tried it with my xbox pad and got frustrated with the B button attack and A button cancel crap, and the camera was slow as hell moving up or down. I swapped back to KB/M for now, but even there the no rebinds thing is stupid.
Not sure how or why they didnt do anything with key rebinds in the betas they had.

But other than that I'm enjoying this game and haven't spent any money.(yet)

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Yeah the A - B swap is messing me up crazy bad, it's so odd because I have this issue when I swap to using Nintendo switch controllers sometimes but it's not nearly as bad as when I play this game

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Yeah the A - B swap is messing me up crazy bad, it's so odd because I have this issue when I swap to using Nintendo switch controllers sometimes but it's not nearly as bad as when I play this game

Yeah same. I don't know what it is but it's 100x worse in this game. I think I'm just gonna switch to M+KB till they put in a remapping feature.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Rebind is in a future update apparently.

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
Yo anyone playing Genshin, once you hit account lvl 10 or whatever you can redeem this code: Genshin0928N

Redeem at this URL:
https://genshin.mihoyo.com/en/gift

For this:

It's nothing huge but free poo poo is free poo poo

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

This game is really fun and good.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It also does look really good on the PC.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

Sab Sabbington posted:

Yeah, echoing the Genshin sentiments, it's scratching an itch I didn't realize I had.

Same! Maybe I went into this with a different mindset and expectations compared to BotW, but it feels like a nice, chill game when I'm in a chill mood. I feel no desire to turbogrind (although I'm almost certain you likely can) so I'm taking everything at my own pace.

That still doesn't cure my terminal gacha brain though. I've rerolled a couple times, and can't decide between a focused power team, vs. more character diversity (since you need two teams for Abyss):
- Diluc/Xiangling/Barbara (+ dupe)/Fischl -- particularly because both Xiangling and Barbara are later given as free units, so there's no roster depth in here whatsoever
- Xiangling/Beidou/Chongyun/Razor (plus 4* bow, 4* spear from the gacha)

MarcusSA posted:

I think most Asian games do the 'far right button to accept (i.e., A on Nintendo controllers, B on Xbox controllers)' and 'bottom button to cancel (B on Nintendo, A on Xbox)' thing. This game is consistent with that. Since that's what I've been used to, it's felt pretty natural to me. :shrug: The combat controls feel pretty weird though. (Western games on controller, on the other hand, gently caress me up big time, which is okay because all of my PC gaming is western games.)

If you're switching to M+KB because of this, I have bad news for you re: remapping controls. I've got two left thumbs when it comes to controllers, but I've still switched precisely because I could not remap keyboard movement from WASD to ESDF, and that's gonna gently caress me up even worse in the long term when I switch back to any other game.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I think the other part of it is that B is red which adds another layer to it breaking me.

At least remapping is on the horizon though.

Honestly that’s my only complaint everything else seems pretty drat slick.

Getting 60fps on my iPhone 11 Pro is sweet too.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
The button binds are objectively correct. Nintendo uses A as confirm and B as cancel. Sony Japan uses circle as confirm and x as cancel. gently caress Microsoft for reversing Nintendo’s buttons. They should be given the corporate death penalty for that. And gently caress SCEA for following suit.

But yeah no rebind is bad. And no PlayStation button prompts is bad. I could also please use an auto run button. And a horse.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

funkymonks posted:

The button binds are objectively correct. Nintendo uses A as confirm and B as cancel.
But yeah no rebind is bad. And no PlayStation button prompts is bad. I could also please use an auto run button. And a horse.

Except they use B as confirm lol. Placement doesn’t matter they are backwards in their use.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
I'm enjoying Genshin more than I expected, it's fun to just explore. Combat isn't super deep but it feels better than some other recent JRPG action games I've played and enjoyed - the Trials of Mana remake comes to mind.

My biggest hang up is why the only way to stop sprinting is to stop moving. And why the hang glider has no sense of momentum at all when you start or stop using it.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Still rerolling, but I've gotten the AR 7 method down pat for the extra 20 summons from the mail. Keep getting shafted though.

Really wish I could invert the look axis. I turned down the graphics and my phone doesn't really get hot anymore.

vandiar
Jul 19, 2004
I lucked out and got Venti and Fischl from the free 10 pull they gave us earlier today. Time for archer squad I suppose!

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

RobotsLoveSpectres posted:

Yo anyone playing Genshin, once you hit account lvl 10 or whatever you can redeem this code: Genshin0928N

Redeem at this URL:

For this:

replace N with E for europe

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

funkymonks posted:

And no PlayStation button prompts is bad.

It has them, you just can't pick them. Using a DS4 shows them and allows touchpad.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

RobotsLoveSpectres posted:

Redeem at this URL:

For this:

Do these work on PS4?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I rolled on the gacha and now I have no idea how to build a team lol. I really like how Ningguang looks but I cant seem to fit her in anywhere.

LIMBO KING
May 3, 2006

gay for gacha posted:

Do these work on PS4?

No.

Ougher
Jan 16, 2005

Xun posted:

I rolled on the gacha and now I have no idea how to build a team lol. I really like how Ningguang looks but I cant seem to fit her in anywhere.

Just throw some whatever junk gear on some characters and try them out. It doesnt take too long to find out which skills and element combos you like or are easy to pull off with the characters you have. Like MC with wind and a fire element like Amber combo well, Ice and Lightning is one of my favorites based on the characters I like. Lightning and Fire is also cool.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Ningguan is earth so it kinda feels like she doesn't combo well with anyone lol. Her shield is nice sometimes but mobs just throw their stupid bombs over it :argh:

Ougher
Jan 16, 2005
You have 3 more characters you can throw in to combo off of, and I think Geo(earth) combos with everything? I'm not sure what it does cause I havent personally used anyone geo much at all. Some character skills put out like deployables that will attack, or float around or do whatever and you can swap to another character and it will stay there. Like you can use ambers arrow rain and then swap back to another character and combo into it.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The correct way to build a team is by looking at the two special moves each character has and deciding which characters have moves that kill enemies the best. Venti is S-tier because he creates a big gravity zone that sucks enemies in and lets you kill them real easy. Amber and Noelle are bottom tier because their elemental moves don't kill enemies good or efficiently. This game is actually fundamentally much simpler than most games because it's not like GFL/Kancolle where you've got to do some indecipherable number-crunching to find out whose buffs are the most efficient, it's literally just "which characters kill good"

The only big x-factors you have to work with are thinking about which elemental combos you want to work around. Check out this chart and check which of the special effects seem the most useful. Like, I've only played for like three hours, but Superconduct seems better than Vaporized just by looking at it

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Hopped on the Genshin bandwagon, except I'm playing on PC. Digging the Breath of the Wild vibes, but the gacha is really, really rough.

I did manage to pull Fischl and Sucrose though, they're cute.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The gacha rates are rough but not important enough to really matter. Fischl is the one I got too and she's S-tier, so at the very least you now have access to four top-tier units of four different elements and roles, so you're basically done in terms of trying to build a strong team, you shouldn't really feel any real functional need to roll other than more cute characters

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah getting weapons and characters during pulls really sucks.

I had a previous pull that was all weapons.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah getting weapons and characters during pulls really sucks.

I had a previous pull that was all weapons.

Thats a sick pull tho

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I got thunder eyepatch girl twice and now she does a passive thunder shot every attack like I have the bird summoned, it's pretty sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I wanna say Fischl might be the most valuable pull in the game right now. There's only two other archers besides her - one is Venti who is 5* and you're never gonna get one, the other is Amber who sucks. Thunder is a really good element because the element combos inflict minus defense which is very good and has its damage mega-boosted by water, which is really common. You get Ice, Wind, and Fire units that are very strong for free, so Thunder is the main variable since apparently Lisa is really mediocre.