Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Latest safari is such a buggy piece of poo poo. death to all new software

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It stealth updated for me, a Mojave holdout, about a week ago. I haven't really noticed anything different about it other than the tracking protection stuff and the fancy new splash screen.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

use it all day on Catalina, seems fine

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

Latest safari is such a buggy piece of poo poo. death to all new software
Thank loving god I'm not the only one having this problem, I thought I was going crazy. I can't get most websites to load.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Myself this morning posted:

use it all day on Catalina, seems fine

Ooh, look a recipe to make fortune cookies at home... *right click, open in new tab*
**SPONTANEOUS REBOOT**
hmm, probably unrelated...

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah cookie handling is unstable

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Weird issue I'm having with Spaces/Mission Control, I think anyway. I posted in the Chrome thread a few days back that I couldn't move Chrome windows/tabs into my third monitor. Just Chrome, no other software had issue with it. Now I can do that, but for some reason if I load a video tab in any monitor and set it to fullscreen, all my other monitors horizontally swipe to black, like they're moving to a new Space. I just want to have one monitor fullscreen with a hockey game or YouTube video, but to still see my browser windows in the other monitors. This just started happening the other day. Any ideas? Thanks for your time.

EDIT: My Dock is only showing up on one monitor too. This is really strange.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 29, 2020

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Thank loving god I'm not the only one having this problem, I thought I was going crazy. I can't get most websites to load.

I’m having pages load but they look like new or blank tabs until I try to do something then poo poo magically appears

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Data Graham posted:

Yeah cookie handling is unstable
:rimshot:

Well played, sir.
I should have let it go after the crash, but noooo, I ended up in an hour long "now where do I -get- a 5" circular silicone stencil into which I pour the batter, Martha?

No more crashes though since that spontaneous reboot but I'm going to slow down on using Safari until stability rebounds.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Is there any way to export data from the calendar app? For example if I wanted a list of all appointments (or days without appointments) in October could I do that from terminal or something?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Sri.Theo posted:

Is there any way to export data from the calendar app? For example if I wanted a list of all appointments (or days without appointments) in October could I do that from terminal or something?

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/162206/displaying-calendar-events-as-text-in-the-terminal

ical-buddy is old but hopefully the APIs it uses are still supported. You could always write your own as well, since there are APIs for accessing the Calendar. Maybe even using Automator.

There may be something newer too that was just a quick Google search. There's no reason it's not possible.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

American McGay posted:

It stealth updated for me, a Mojave holdout, about a week ago. I haven't really noticed anything different about it other than the tracking protection stuff and the fancy new splash screen.
Yeah I put my Mojave machines on Do Not Install Anything mode after Apple put that friggin' Catalina permanent notification in.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Pivo posted:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/162206/displaying-calendar-events-as-text-in-the-terminal

ical-buddy is old but hopefully the APIs it uses are still supported. You could always write your own as well, since there are APIs for accessing the Calendar. Maybe even using Automator.

There may be something newer too that was just a quick Google search. There's no reason it's not possible.
Not sure if Catalina is any different, but in Mojave you can export to an ICS file, and from there there seems to be ways to convert to CSV or import to Excel, or if you’re handy with regex stuff it’s probably not too hard to figure something out on your own.

Otherwise depending on what exactly you want, you can just use the print function which has some useful options like a list view (but only two column :shrug:), date range, and calendar select.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Does anyone know of a way to mount a flac/cue CD without having to burn it to a disk first? I haven't had a CDR in forever, and I just have one track, formerly a Apple Music purchase, that keeps on erroring on sync with my phone. I just want to mount the flac/cue disk so iTunes will try to rip the CD again, and hopefully stop that warning each time I sync my phone. (I only see it if I watch the sync in the Finder, and despite the warning, it plays on my phone fine.)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

https://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/

Apple poo poo down today

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

iCloud Mail was bombing me out all evening, and this system status never showed a single non-green thing the entire time.

WTF is going on this week, Google then MS then Apple all within like three days?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Security Update 2020-005 (Mojave) has been pulled from Apple's download servers.

Presumably, they're in the middle of investigating a fix for it.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

IUG posted:

Does anyone know of a way to mount a flac/cue CD without having to burn it to a disk first? I haven't had a CDR in forever, and I just have one track, formerly a Apple Music purchase, that keeps on erroring on sync with my phone. I just want to mount the flac/cue disk so iTunes will try to rip the CD again, and hopefully stop that warning each time I sync my phone. (I only see it if I watch the sync in the Finder, and despite the warning, it plays on my phone fine.)
XLD will transcode just about anything. I use it for flac/cue downloads all the time. https://tmkk.undo.jp/xld/index_e.html

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

How do I change the voice used for the text-to-speech option on the right-click menu? (highlight text > right-click > Speech > Start Speaking) I've changed Siri, the system voice and the VoiceOver voices to Siri, but the right-click menu keeps using Daniel. I'm seeing this on two different Macs running Catalina 10.15.6.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

CygnusTM posted:

How do I change the voice used for the text-to-speech option on the right-click menu? (highlight text > right-click > Speech > Start Speaking) I've changed Siri, the system voice and the VoiceOver voices to Siri, but the right-click menu keeps using Daniel. I'm seeing this on two different Macs running Catalina 10.15.6.

It should be Preferences > Accessibility > Vision > Speech, but I'm entirely sure Siri is an option for that one.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Tippis posted:

It should be Preferences > Accessibility > Vision > Speech, but I'm entirely sure Siri is an option for that one.

Yeah, I have it set to Siri there, and it's still using Daniel.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

CygnusTM posted:

Yeah, I have it set to Siri there, and it's still using Daniel.

That's doubly weird — I can't do that (setting Siri a the voice) but everything else works. Does it work if you set it to some third option?

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Tippis posted:

That's doubly weird — I can't do that (setting Siri a the voice) but everything else works. Does it work if you set it to some third option?

That was it. If I change it to a non-Siri voice, it works. Kinda annoying. It shouldn't give me the Siri option if it's not going to work.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Binary Badger posted:

Security Update 2020-005 (Mojave) has been pulled from Apple's download servers.

Presumably, they're in the middle of investigating a fix for it.

That’s a step in the right direction. App Store updated have been broken since the update.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

https://mrmacintosh.com/10-14-6-supplemental-update-safari-14-released-to-fix-previous-issues/

Apple re-releases Security Update 2020-005 but adds a 'macOS 10.14.6 Supplemental Update' that includes Safari 14 and fixes for all the crap people complained about before.

Apple posted:

macOS Mojave 10.14.6 supplemental update includes Safari 14 and bug fixes for your Mac.

Safari 14

• New tab bar design shows more tabs on screen and displays favicons by default
• Customizable start page allows you to set a background image and add new sections
• Privacy Report shows cross-site trackers that are being blocked by Intelligent Tracking Prevention
• Removes support for Adobe Flash for improved security

This update also includes bug fixes.

• Resolves an issue that could impact app performance
• Addresses a stability issue with Migration Assistant
• Fixes an issue that may prevent user account creation

Some features may not be available for all regions, or on all Apple devices.

For detailed information on the security content of this update, please visit: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Is there recommended software for creating and burning disk images?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

terre packet posted:

What do you need that disk utility doesn’t do?

Oh for physical optical disks? I think finder can do that?

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

terre packet posted:

Toast used to be the best app for that, but I'd just use disk utility these days.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
yeah and if not
code:
brew install balenaetcher
?

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

the_lion posted:

Toast used to be the best app for that, but I'd just use disk utility these days.

Oh poo poo, this is exactly what I needed. I forgot it existed! Thank you!

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

terre packet posted:

Oh poo poo, this is exactly what I needed. I forgot it existed! Thank you!

If you're using Catalina go ahead and forget about it again. Only the newest $100 version works with Catalina and later.
Simply Burns is free and does most of it (not blu-ray though).

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I'm experimenting with Apple's voice dictation features and apparently it just doesn't work in Google Docs. Has anyone had any luck making voice dictation work in Docs or do I need to download Chrome and use the voice typing feature there?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
So uh this Apple security breach. I get that they weren't a company borne of the internet age and they had to boostrap some stuff but holy poo poo lol

https://samcurry.net/hacking-apple/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Crunchy Black posted:

So uh this Apple security breach. I get that they weren't a company borne of the internet age and they had to boostrap some stuff but holy poo poo lol

Seems on part for a megacorp with a hundred thousand servers

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It’s a really good write up.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Sorry if its asked all the time but I don't see it in the OP but is there preferred anti virus software for Macs?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
None.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

It’s a really good write up.
It's cool he got paid 100k to report it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
He should have gotten 100k for every flaw discovered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Crunchy Black posted:

Holy poo poo is right!

Bob Morales posted:

Seems on part for a megacorp with a hundred thousand servers

So it's like this for Microsoft and Google and stuff as well or what? Just point a hacker at them and they'll find a few dozen pages of vulnerabilities?