Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

just like on the pc

apparently the epic store is not doing well on pc and most games they're buying exclusivity on are not meeting their guaranteed targets. the rumor was that control only sold about 100k copies on egs and they were guaranteed 150k, steamdb estimates that since the steam launch last month control has sold 100k-200k copies on that platform.

nobody likes epic's store platforms

apparently it still doesn't even have a shopping cart, so every purchase, even small dlc bits, has to be done as separate purchases, which can trigger credit card fraud alerts if done too quickly. it also still doesn't support all of the currencies and platforms that steam does, so that obviously effects sales

the best tale of bought exclusivity was some vr puzzle game (vr tetris?) that epic bought exclusivity for at the last second, but the game still needed steam installed because it used the steam vr library

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

DuckConference posted:

yes, this app environment which is one of two viable choices and is basically a requirement to participate in society is just like a playstation. this device that will basically be mandatory for everything from flying on a plane to paying for parking is just like an xbox that is used only for games. hmm yes let me text my friends their concert passes from my nintendo switch.

not that I'm on epic's side, they're both being assholes. i guess we can just ken watanabe it up while we wait for an eventual judicial ruling after all the appeals that will probably establish a completely asinine precedent that will haunt us forever

the concert example works though, apple lets you buy physical things without a cut, this about paywalled digital assets aka bullshit skins for your avatar
I mean a 30% cut is huge when the work is changing variable in a remote database, but you need some overhead for cc processing and staff to handle fraud or payment disputes, maybe they could add a new 15% iap tier and just for that call it the "EXPLOITIVE BULLSHIT IAP" and make the sure the user sees it.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

The_Franz posted:

apparently it still doesn't even have a shopping cart, so every purchase, even small dlc bits, has to be done as separate purchases, which can trigger credit card fraud alerts if done too quickly. it also still doesn't support all of the currencies and platforms that steam does, so that obviously effects sales

the best tale of bought exclusivity was some vr puzzle game (vr tetris?) that epic bought exclusivity for at the last second, but the game still needed steam installed because it used the steam vr library

not gonna defend buying exlusives but i'm also not going to fault epic for not building their own vr platform given that anyone who has a vr headset is guaranteed to have steam or oculus installed already

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

the epic store is great, ive gotten lots of good games from there and still haven't given them my credit card yet

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

just like on the pc

apparently the epic store is not doing well on pc and most games they're buying exclusivity on are not meeting their guaranteed targets. the rumor was that control only sold about 100k copies on egs and they were guaranteed 150k, steamdb estimates that since the steam launch last month control has sold 100k-200k copies on that platform.

nobody likes epic's store platforms

who would have thought that people would get sick of yet another lovely launcher app getting in the way?

i do like GOG galaxy's approach which aims to concentrate all the different stores in one app and for the most part works surprisingly well. GOG is also the only one of these stores with a USP (DRM free) although apparently they're not doing too well financially

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Perplx posted:

the concert example works though, apple lets you buy physical things without a cut, this about paywalled digital assets aka bullshit skins for your avatar
I mean a 30% cut is huge when the work is changing variable in a remote database, but you need some overhead for cc processing and staff to handle fraud or payment disputes, maybe they could add a new 15% iap tier and just for that call it the "EXPLOITIVE BULLSHIT IAP" and make the sure the user sees it.

on the other hand getting $0.70 to flip a variable in a remote database is still a ridiculous amount of money

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Trabisnikof posted:

the epic store is great, ive gotten lots of good games from there and still haven't given them my credit card yet

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

on the other hand getting $0.70 to flip a variable in a remote database is still a ridiculous amount of money

i mean, you could say buying the app in the first place is flipping a variable in a database too and you wouldn't really be wrong either

attacking rent seeking in general is an attack on capitalism so good luck with that one

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the most interesting bit about it is how to legally distinguish purchasing an app outright from a content subscription and from buying a fancy virtual hat as iap. which is not necessarily easy to do, but could be a great boon if some legal structure is added to that mess.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
fortnite is f2p. epic made a business decision to make money by selling hats rather than selling game licenses, presumably because they make more money that way. in basically every real sense, buying hats is paying for the game, it's just a sliding scale, pay what you want sort of deal. obviously for fortnite the costs of development were well and truly covered a long time ago and all subsequent income is profit, but that's also true for the 420,000th $69.99 copy of "on the fatality of eternal war" or whatever the kids are playing these days, as well as potentially for every other good that can ultimately be represented as just a stream of information

it would supremely stupid if that business decision meant they also got to avoid paying apple a cut that they'd otherwise agreed to pay. there is no good reason to treat iap differently from any other way of purchasing software

if you strip all the pablum about security and consumer protection from apple's arguments and ignore the review and distribution and platform-watchdog costs — and there's merit to all that stuff, but i don't think it's critical here — apple's position is that taking a cut of software sales on its hardware is a legitimate part of its business, and that the cut it takes is totally in line with the cut taken elsewhere. and epic basically has to argue that walled gardens are inherently illegitimate and that all hardware/OS makers ought to be obliged to allow arbitrary third-party software distribution. i don't think a judge is likely to ever accept that argument; congress would need to change anti-trust law

i think there are some much stronger anti-trust arguments against apple, but epic isn't really in a position to make any of them

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

fortnite wasn't even originally what it is now, it was a team shooter with some crafting elements until they copied pubg

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

a much more reasonable argument imo is that while Apple is entitled to charge money for their services, the amount they are charging for IAPs is wildly disproportionate to the services they are providing even allowing for their need to make a profit and is only as high as it is because they use their market position to force terms which hobble or block competition. if they had to compete with other payment processors the fee for IAPs would be much, much lower.

Amazon is probably the best fit to make that case since it is settled fact that Apple engaged in illegal anticompetitive behavior to break into the ebooks market and part of that was forcing Kindle purchases to use Apple for IAP payment processing. keeping that case from happening is probably part of why Apple has a sweetheart deal with Amazon now. Spotify/Netflix are the second best, especially Spotify since they can directly point to customer harm that resulted from Apple's cut (during the time when you could subscribe to premium from the app the price of premium was higher in the app vs the web to cover the cut Apple took).

but nope we get Epic and Epic is a very lovely fit to bring that case for all sorts of reasons.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

epic could easily solve this problem by shipping the actual hat to all if their players irl

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Shifty Pony posted:

a much more reasonable argument imo is that while Apple is entitled to charge money for their services, the amount they are charging for IAPs is wildly disproportionate to the services they are providing even allowing for their need to make a profit and is only as high as it is because they use their market position to force terms which hobble or block competition. if they had to compete with other payment processors the fee for IAPs would be much, much lower

you keep saying "payment processor" as if apple is charging 30% interchange fees. apple is charging commercial rent for the use of its platform, which it puts billions of dollars a year into creating and maintaining. it would certainly be much cheaper to treat the platform as an obligatory cost center useful only as a bullet point to help close a hardware sale; that's what android manufacturers do, unsurprisingly, since they derive no ongoing benefit from the platform at all. but that's a big part of why android is what it is

it makes zero sense to charge iap at a lower rate when it's effectively just a different payment structure for the main product. when an app is a directory for independent products, like a book store, that's different

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

a much more reasonable argument imo is that while Apple is entitled to charge money for their services, the amount they are charging for IAPs is wildly disproportionate to the services they are providing even allowing for their need to make a profit and is only as high as it is because they use their market position to force terms which hobble or block competition. if they had to compete with other payment processors the fee for IAPs would be much, much lower.

but apple isn't charging a higher rate because of their market dominance, it's always been the same 30% from when they held no market share.

why was 30% fine a decade ago but suddenly now it's not?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

FCKGW posted:

but apple isn't charging a higher rate because of their market dominance, it's always been the same 30% from when they held no market share.

the idea would be to determine whether it is in fact fine, whether it has been going on for 5 minutes or a hundred years.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Whatever needs to happen for me to be able to buy videos from the Amazon Video iPad app is what I want to happen.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

FCKGW posted:

because 10 years ago that was 30% of a $1.99 burp and fart piano

today it's 30% of a significant portion of online commerce, and it is reasonable to be concerned that we are diving headfirst into giving two companies a 30% cut and absolute control of a massive swath of consumer spending that doesn't happen to involve a physical object.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

FCKGW posted:

was there actually a point where there was a market and they didn't dominate it? they basically created the app store model, and before that third-party apps weren't really things that normal consumers bought for their phones.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i just bought a magic mouse and what an outrageously lovely product. just incredibly bad. lmao. immediate return.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

my bitter bi rival posted:

i just bought a Magic Mouse

lol

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I could buy this nice logitech mouse that is shaped like the human hand and which features a number of useful buttons

or I could buy one half of a tic-tac and pretend that parts of it are touch sensitive

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i hosed up!!! the review sites (lol) said it was the best mouse for mac and i overthought it :cawg:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

karabiner sucks rear end too how does anyone do actual work on a macbook jfc :rant: :negative:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol did you capitalize magic mouse in my post :raise:

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

i just bought a magic mouse and what an outrageously lovely product. just incredibly bad. lmao. immediate return.

the good 'magic' products are the keyboard and trackpad, cosmic balance requires the mouse to be so horrifically bad that it averages out to neutral

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol did you capitalize magic mouse in my post :raise:

hahahaha not manually, but I don't doubt for a second that if my cursor touched the phrase that ios autocorrect decided to capitalize it.

god ios is so bad. it truly astounds me that android is somehow worse

lmao ios tried to capitalize android (the first time only). gently caress you, capitalization!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

i just bought a Magic Mouse

what the gently caress?

double wtf, it auto capitalized for me too

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

what the gently caress?

double wtf, it auto capitalized for me too

that’s iOS featuring Siri on iPhone for you

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

when I switched to a non apple mouse, I had to install a third party app for my m4 and m5 buttons to do anything. it just wonks!

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Clockwerk posted:

when I switched to a non apple mouse, I had to install a third party app for my m4 and m5 buttons to do anything. it just wonks!

yeah pretty good that fedora worked better with my peripherals than macos does. a macbook as a self-contained device is great but holy poo poo has my docking experience been a nightmare

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

yeah pretty good that fedora worked better with my peripherals than macos does. a macbook as a self-contained device is great but holy poo poo has my docking experience been a nightmare

you aren't supposed to plug it in _there_

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

the best part about being a dumbass nerd is configuring your computer in an extremely specific, stupid, and counterintuitive way and then ree'ing out and needing to download a million github repos any time you want to change your workspace setup even slightly. all i did was buy a desk after 6 months of working from my couch :eng99:

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

that’s iOS featuring Siri on iPhone for you

automatically capitalizes Centris and LaserWriter, but not performa even though it’s in the dictionary. :shrug:

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Laslow posted:

automatically capitalizes Centris and LaserWriter, but not performa even though it’s in the dictionary. :shrug:

performas don't deserve caps, works as intended

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
performa 6400/200 was my main machine for a long time. many fond memories

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

https://twitter.com/TimSweeneyEpic/status/1311345253576830978

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

you'd think he'd have bigger fish to fry than well actually reply guy-ing small time apple bloggers

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
that letter doesn't even really support his point, it's a voluntary concession that suggests that apple really didn't want this to impact general users beyond not taking further app updates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

qirex posted:

you'd think he'd have bigger fish to fry than well actually reply guy-ing small time apple bloggers

Every voice is equal on that cacophonous hellsite