Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I don't give a gently caress about current gen games. Give me more BC stuff from Gen 6 and 7. Will all the XBLA stuff look or run better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jedi fallen order is atrocious. It’s insanely buggy and half baked as a game

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I will never ever understand why companies with the Star Wars license insist on making off-brand Luke/Anakin PCs instead of letting us make our own Jedi power fantasies.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

bushisms.txt posted:

There's a rumor they're putting out an NHL 94 remaster, something I've been personally screaming for and really really want. I need all the 94s, madden was the best when juking was literally turning in a circle.

They already did this as a game mode for NHL 14 on PS3/360.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skTUPIAf-N8

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

univbee posted:

So here's a curiosity. Here's a list of the top 100 games played on PS4 last month (August 2020). Aside from the titles which aren't on PS4, what games are any of you actively playing on PS4 or XB1 that aren't part of this list?

Killing Floor 2 , Risk of Rain 2, Overcooked 2, Touhou Luna Nights, Streets of Rogue ( off the top of my head ).

Edit: Also a ton of stuff off that list, and a ton of stuff not on ps4.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://www.psu.com/news/new-ps5-backwards-compatibility-details-revealed-along-with-a-reconfirming-a-ps5-boost-mode/

quote:

New PS5 backwards compatibility info has been leaked by the PlayStation Store web’s source code, mostly focusing on what will happen if a PS4 game isn’t currently supported by PS5.

The source code which was posted on Reddit lists the following information about what will happen when a PS4 game isn’t supported on PS5:

“playing PS4 games on PS5, some functionalities available on PS4 may not be available. See https://www.playstation.com/ps5-backwards-compatibility for more details.”

“This PS4 game isn’t supported with your PS5’s current system software. We’re continuing to make more PS4 games playable on PS5. Update your PS5, and then try playing the game.”

The source code also lists a PS5 boost mode being enabled, probably for a PS4 game that will receive boosted benefits on PS4, but is not directly supported by the developer. You can read our guide on this feature here.

“PS5 boost mode enabled”

The PS5 releases on November 12, 2020, in the US and November 19, 2020, in the EU and UK.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is exactly what people are talking about when we say things aren’t clear.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

quote:

“playing PS4 games on PS5, some functionalities available on PS4 may not be available. See https://www.playstation.com/ps5-backwards-compatibility for more details.”

I am really puzzled by this. The only thing I can think of are peripherals, like a Skylanders portal or something?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Zerot posted:

EA Play joins Xbox Game Pass Ultimate at launch.

https://twitter.com/XboxWire/status/1310927394186772481

Well looks like Patrick Stewart is gonna be an MMA fighter soon.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Barudak posted:

EA Play bringing you that Anthem content you crave.

EA's non sports game lineup is dire, innit?

I'm actually excited about playing Anthem. I know it got terrible reviews and it's not even in a genre I like but I REALLY like Iron Man so............

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lammasu posted:

I'm actually excited about playing Anthem. I know it got terrible reviews and it's not even in a genre I like but I REALLY like Iron Man so............

Can’t you like buy the game for like $1 these days?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Are you getting EA's Anthem confused with Square/Eidos' Avengers?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

hanyolo posted:

Should put a bit of a dent in the smartphone gaming market, why pay for some lovely phone game when you can play a console game instead.

I’m pretty sure playing a native game like say Fortnite, stored on the phone and played over LTE, still uses way less data than streaming Fortnite from a server, but I could be wrong.

At minimum it’s probably going to be a less spotty/laggy experience. Also a lot of multiplat games run way better on iOS, and with much sharper graphical fidelity, than they do on Switch.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’m pretty sure playing a native game like say Fortnite, stored on the phone and played over LTE, still uses way less data than streaming Fortnite from a server, but I could be wrong.

You are correct

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
The EA thing will be nice for revisiting the Titanfall 2 campaign, Dead Space, and sports stuff I've been missing for the last few years. It's too bad Syndicate isn't on there, though. I always heard it was good and an influx of Game Pass players would make the co-op aspect possible.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

At minimum it’s probably going to be a less spotty/laggy experience. Also a lot of multiplat games run way better on iOS, and with much sharper graphical fidelity, than they do on Switch.

Both of these are correct.

I measured the data use once for Fortnite and it was practically nothing. I can also play the game at 120fps on my iPad Pro.

Streaming has its place but it’s definitely not going to replace a dedicated device / software. The thread I made on it has more details on them but yeah it’s not there yet.

Also lol at your data caps if you try and do it with any regularity.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I saw the other day that the carbon footprint for streaming is exponentially higher than just buying and playing on your own hardware.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thom12255 posted:

I saw the other day that the carbon footprint for streaming is exponentially higher than just buying and playing on your own hardware.

Eh. I’d have to see the numbers on that. I could see it being higher but not exponentially higher.

You are shifting power use from one place to another. I’m not sure how you quantify the power use of bandwidth either.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

EA Play has the Skates, Black, Spaces Dead, and the base game needed to install the DLC that is the only unambiguously good part of the two Mirrror's Edge games

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I already own Black but it's a truly great single-player FPS of that era. And looks great on the One.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I keep meaning to pick up Black for my Small But Powerful original xbox shelf

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I haven't been playing my Xbox enough to justify ultimate but I'm almost certainly going to subscribe for the skate games and forget about it and wind up paying more than if I'd just bought them which is kind of the genius of this next gen Microsoft strategy imo

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

MarcusSA posted:

Can’t you like buy the game for like $1 these days?

I get Game Pass for free with Microsoft points.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Black has like, a linear quality decline from the first mission to the last so while its a really good start by the end it has one of the worst levels in an FPS of its era.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0V8ukjCWaY

You can use an external ssd to play bc stuff and the load times are pretty close to internal.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0V8ukjCWaY

You can use an external ssd to play bc stuff and the load times are pretty close to internal.

Ah ok this is good. I’ve got a 500GB external SSD and it will be nice to use with the new Xbox.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

I've heard rumblings that NFS Heat is actually a pretty good One Of Those, and Jedi Fallen Order is supposedly pretty good.

its visually impressive on a one X but runs at 30FPS and controls like absolute garbage. there is literally not enough buttons on the controller to use manual transmission mode so you have to turn it off and on essentially

manual transmission is required to be competitive in the drift mode challenges (in single player mode!) even at the early stages of the game.

the NFS games are mostly aesthetic-centric car guy games with little substance on the actual racing (which is fine for arcade racers) but the controls are complete rear end.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Jedi fallen order is atrocious. It’s insanely buggy and half baked as a game

I had fun with it, but it's definitely missing a lot, like more than 4(?) planets and fast travel. having to manually run everywhere on that snow planet is murder. if they still haven't patched in a fast travel yet then lol.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Laserface posted:

its visually impressive on a one X but runs at 30FPS and controls like absolute garbage. there is literally not enough buttons on the controller to use manual transmission mode so you have to turn it off and on essentially

manual transmission is required to be competitive in the drift mode challenges (in single player mode!) even at the early stages of the game.

the NFS games are mostly aesthetic-centric car guy games with little substance on the actual racing (which is fine for arcade racers) but the controls are complete rear end.

How do you define controls like rear end in relation to GTA IV car handling?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

there has not been a good need for speed game since the original most wanted

carbon was alright, everything after was poo poo. especially ESPECIALLY prostreet, oh my god prostreet was such fuckin rear end.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

there has not been a good need for speed game since the original most wanted

carbon was alright, everything after was poo poo. especially ESPECIALLY prostreet, oh my god prostreet was such fuckin rear end.

I liked Underground, but I dunno how much of that was just me being like 12.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Nuts and Gum posted:

I havent played gta 4 in a long time but it was absolutely better than NFS heat, from memory.

its more that the game offers 2 transmission types but you can only really be competitive if you use one of them (manual) and cant even drive correctly to win drift events unless you use manual mode.

the cars and the world look great but the 30fps lock and extremely slow handling in the non-drift modes makes it very unenjoyable to play.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Making drifting events impossible and unfun is the right decision, more developers should do it. I'll allow an exception for kart racers.

Next week: my thoughts on collision realism

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

uvar posted:

Making drifting events impossible and unfun is the right decision, more developers should do it. I'll allow an exception for kart racers.

Next week: my thoughts on collision realism

they are required to progress the story mode so good luck.

you'll be happy to know collisions in NFS heat are also complete bullshit with some trees/poles being destroyable and some not.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

morallyobjected posted:

I liked Underground, but I dunno how much of that was just me being like 12.

the underground games were great! underground 2 is my pick for best game in the series, in fact.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I remember the intro to Payback being excessively cringe. It was so bad with the dialogue and lingo. Really embarrassing stuff.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Laserface posted:

they are required to progress the story mode so good luck.

That's why I'm so against them, it's a stupid way to drive a car and it's not fun and I am terrible at it and don't want to waste time getting better :bahgawd: But it seems to turn up in every racing game that's not an outright sim. At least in most games I can just ignore it and still unlock everything else.

Different tastes, I know. Honestly when I play a racing game these days I'll do one race and then spend an hour driving randomly around the open world in cool cars while a podcast or video is playing on a screen nearby. I even completed the Fuel single-player campaign so I could properly unlock all the map fast travel areas and vehicles. poo poo, I think I just talked myself into finally buying Horizon 4.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wait you like to listen to podcasts and just kind of drive a big map and don't own Horizon games? What the hell.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Nuts and Gum posted:

GTA 4 car handling owned, I was sad they arcaded it up for GTA 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Yeah I dont know why you would bother with other arcade racers when there's forza horizon 3 and 4. They're in a class of their own and easily the top racing games this generation