Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
Silmerias I think you gave someone a stroke :yarg:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Do we have a goatse ship yet?

I have fond memories of this masterpiece from Empyrion:

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
I'm in the process of building a glass cubeship.

My achievement the past few days was putting a ship inside of another ship which bugged it into accelerating straight down at 1G while piloting it. I got out to investigate (in space) and flew off into the void before killing myself.

The next day I bought a skirmisher, stripped off all honeycomb and non-essential elements and filled all the tanks about 25% so it could escape sanctuary. I chased down my ship, packed everything into a container, and safely touched down on my current strip-mining base on Madis 2.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Having your moon dong deleted sounds like a good reason to make an even bigger moon dong.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Sachant posted:

Having your moon dong deleted sounds like a good reason to make an even bigger moon dong.

we will not stop until we conquer the lusty stars with our veiny obelisks of lunar regolith

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

So is there any pve at all in this yet. And if not and it's pvp how active is it so far?

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
left click rock [x100], right click structure, copy paste lua code, kill ship through ui that instakills anything, manipulate market for infinite money

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Bought this game and I'm trying to play, but no matter how many times I hit the play beta button, all it says is connection pending and then gives me a different error every time. Is the game on maintenance right now or something?

Edit: I finally got in, but I'm getting like 10 FPS and this game is using 80% of my CPU. I have an i7 9700k, is that really that bad?

Double Edit:

I think I should probably wait until the optimization gets ironed out before I play this game.

Umbreon fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Sep 18, 2020

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Umbreon posted:

Bought this game and I'm trying to play, but no matter how many times I hit the play beta button, all it says is connection pending and then gives me a different error every time. Is the game on maintenance right now or something?

Edit: I finally got in, but I'm getting like 10 FPS and this game is using 80% of my CPU. I have an i7 9700k, is that really that bad?

Double Edit:

I think I should probably wait until the optimization gets ironed out before I play this game.

It is that bad on heavily built up areas with lots of voxels that you have never been to before and have not cached - meaning the entire newbie area is hell.

Once you get past that, it is a lot better.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

socialsecurity posted:

So is there any pve at all in this yet. And if not and it's pvp how active is it so far?

No, the game features are:

hit rock
sell rock
build voxel
fly
sometimes pvp (but there are tons of bugs/features to get around this atm so you don't have to)

Unfortunately for the time being, the Devs/Staff seem hell-bent on making the game a very safe place. If you like playing space minecraft though its really fun

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

FireWhizzle posted:

Unfortunately for the time being, the Devs/Staff seem hell-bent on making the game a very safe place. If you like playing space minecraft though its really fun

Official forums and discord would paint a different picture - of PvP being widespread brutal and killing the game and devs enabling griefing or at the very least turning a blind eye to it.

So plenty of salt to be had.

Meanwhile I am struggling to make a hauler capable of actually taking off with a full load of ore and having a blast doing it.

I'm really digging the mix of genres in this game. Factorio style industry, kerbal style flight, eve skills, player made ships and free loot pvp are all very much my thing...

Game still is way more early alpha then beta though - the bulk of the promised content is flat out not there and nobody even knows how it would work.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

FileNotFound posted:

Official forums and discord would paint a different picture - of PvP being widespread brutal and killing the game and devs enabling griefing or at the very least turning a blind eye to it.

So plenty of salt to be had.

Meanwhile I am struggling to make a hauler capable of actually taking off with a full load of ore and having a blast doing it.

I'm really digging the mix of genres in this game. Factorio style industry, kerbal style flight, eve skills, player made ships and free loot pvp are all very much my thing...

Game still is way more early alpha then beta though - the bulk of the promised content is flat out not there and nobody even knows how it would work.

I know, I'm one of the people out there smashing everyone. The safe mechanics are legit silly atm, but I'm sure it'll get ironed out at some point. The only reason you should get shot up is for being an idiot.

Steps to never lose anything:
1. Install a space radar
2. Install a warp drive
3. Have a few warp cells, 1-5 should do it
4. As you accelerate away from a planet or decelerate towards a planet, have the planet locked with your warp drive.
5. If bad guys show up, just press warp and do your travels later or at another angle from the planet. It will cost you at most 100k to save your millions ship and cargo contents.

This is not a bug, not an exploit. This is how warp drives currently work. You can do this to safely spool up to 29,999km/h where it is pretty unfeasible for humans to get you mid-transit - especially if you burned like 20 off planet before starting.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

As far as I understand there is also no actual reason to leave the safe area since nothing is currently exclusive to the pvp space.

I really want to go pew pew but I have been preoccupied with the factory game since joining. I have not actually even gone to the org grid.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
pvp is kind of a meme at this point from what i gather and see, but you can destroy peoples' entire livelyhoods in a single go if you do it right

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
All I do is PVP. I PVP so much that I question whether there is actually any voxel building in the game. Pls add PVE content tia

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

2DCAT posted:

All I do is PVP. I PVP so much that I question whether there is actually any voxel building in the game. Pls add PVE content tia

I think they are. They already implemented a wreck-salvaging game loop and there are rumors of actual pve but we'll see :iiam:.

e: on the upside its a great time to safely test things out:

FireWhizzle fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 21, 2020

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

On the livestream - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai3Kk37ntgg they mentioned that territory control may come by YE or soon after.

So hopefully they also make pvp not trash by then...

DrCaptainSir
Jan 29, 2008
Spartacus
The one thing I will say is the salt from PVP in the DU discord is priceless. There may be audio of some of it which never gets old. That being said, they really need to make pvp more of a thing and I'm looking forward to when they reduce the safe zones. We fought a streamer not long ago too and he was a tanky fucker that some people we are "friendly with" or rather an org I'm in went back with a ship that has 8 L missile launchers versus our 4 and they still couldn't kill him, but they definitely sent his rear end packing. lol

PVP is definitely target and fire and not very dynamic other than positioning ships. But I'm sure that will change with atmo pvp too.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

I am interested in playing this and I have bought a sub but trying to download it and the installer keeps disappearing? Is that normal?

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Burt posted:

I am interested in playing this and I have bought a sub but trying to download it and the installer keeps disappearing? Is that normal?

Playing DU itself can be a challenge.. did you try the usual run as admin, install on C drive only, etc?

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

FireWhizzle posted:

It's not that bad, there are the big orgs flying around killing the little orgs, we need more goons to fill combat boats... instead everyone is opting to crying in a corner because space elevators are broken... It used to be better when this pirate used to fly around in borg cubes blowing up people used to be around but then #freedodgin and poo poo happened...

We have gotten to the point where we have two pretty big industries printing ship parts, we have several combat ships, but no goons to populate them, so we have been limiting ourselves to go out to PVP zone on one boat, but if we find opposition of more than 2 boats we have to turn around...

Tempus Thales fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 28, 2020

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Tempus Thales posted:

It's not that bad, there are the big orgs flying around killing the little orgs, we need more goons to fill combat boats... instead everyone is opting to crying in a corner because space elevators are broken... It used to be better when this pirate used to fly around in borg cubes blowing up people used to be around but then #freedodgin and poo poo happened...

We have gotten to the point where we have two pretty big industries printing ship parts, we have several combat ships, but no goons to populate them, so we have been limiting ourselves to go out to PVP zone on one boat, but if we find opposition of more than 2 boats we have to turn around...

Boo is out in force with 5-10 ship fleet ops - we saw them yesterday and ran to the safe zone because we just don't have the sheer numbers that boo has.

flick3r
Apr 22, 2011

Tempus Thales posted:

What org are you guys in? I used to play back a few months ago but stopped because I didn't think any goons didn't stuff. I'd be down to pilot some poo poo and get blown up.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

flick3r posted:

What org are you guys in? I used to play back a few months ago but stopped because I didn't think any goons didn't stuff. I'd be down to pilot some poo poo and get blown up.

Wyldy Inappropriate. Discord link is at the end of the OP.

flick3r
Apr 22, 2011
Correct way of reaching Goon Platform: https://streamable.com/ff1q1s

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

flick3r posted:

Correct way of reaching Goon Platform: https://streamable.com/ff1q1s

To add some context - this madlad just joined today - asked how to get to the goon platform 7000 meters up.

I told him to just strap engines to a chair because I figured it would be most entertaining....instead he actually pulls it off.

flick3r
Apr 22, 2011

FileNotFound posted:

To add some context - this madlad just joined today - asked how to get to the goon platform 7000 meters up.

I told him to just strap engines to a chair because I figured it would be most entertaining....instead he actually pulls it off.

Day 1 goals

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

this game is giving me some real space engineer vibes

i'd love to play, but idk if i want to.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

flick3r posted:

Glad you found us!

Tempus Thales fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 29, 2020

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
Finished building the XL Screen that will go on the Space Station we are building called the Sean Smith / Vile Rat Appreciation Station. The screen and content look like this:

Currently waiting on game staff to approve the final image before we transport it to the space station.

Silmerias
Aug 19, 2020

Space overlord of an awful French community. You can have my couch in Deklein everyday.

FireWhizzle posted:

Silmerias I think you gave someone a stroke :yarg:

Working as intended !

Silmerias fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Sep 29, 2020

Silmerias
Aug 19, 2020

Space overlord of an awful French community. You can have my couch in Deklein everyday.

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012
welcome! please take your time to adjust to the sjw, j4g, incels, chuds, furries, and the numerous other retards that we call family. requirements are you buy a pack of A shirts to wear liberally. Never wash them. Pretty sure they said space dongs, not planet or moon dongs.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Is there any way to make this game not run like a bit of hot rear end on a GTX 1060?

The graphics options are pretty... bad.

Alternately, is this apparent input lag and really bad performance simply because I am in the starting area still and it'll get better once I get out of the starting area?

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

ModeSix posted:

Is there any way to make this game not run like a bit of hot rear end on a GTX 1060?

The graphics options are pretty... bad.

Alternately, is this apparent input lag and really bad performance simply because I am in the starting area still and it'll get better once I get out of the starting area?

Get out of the starting area and it's going to feel like a whole different game.

The graphics are pending an update before year end supposedly.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

FileNotFound posted:

Get out of the starting area and it's going to feel like a whole different game.

The graphics are pending an update before year end supposedly.

Good to know, because the performance there is literally making me not want to even try this thing, but if what you say is true I'll force my way through it and see how it goes.

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012

ModeSix posted:

Good to know, because the performance there is literally making me not want to even try this thing, but if what you say is true I'll force my way through it and see how it goes.

it is true, i have a much inferior machine to yours and it always runs like rear end when i go to a sanctuary port. probably where most accounts died. but it is a sandbox mmo, the servers sometimes poo poo themselves but so far there is nothing similar to what this game offers in the least. just get away from the sanctuary platforms if possible.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Munkeylord posted:

it is true, i have a much inferior machine to yours and it always runs like rear end when i go to a sanctuary port. probably where most accounts died. but it is a sandbox mmo, the servers sometimes poo poo themselves but so far there is nothing similar to what this game offers in the least. just get away from the sanctuary platforms if possible.

I upped my pixel quality and noticed an immediate performance gain. It means bigger network payloads, but also not having to work for their slow rear end queue to get to me as many times when I make it to a new hex.

The geography loads in layers, so before I tweaked things it was sometimes taking 10-15 minutes before I could mine.

I'll get back to this game eventually, I crashed after my first space flight, have been stuck trying to figure out how to rebuild. I thought I was at a point where I could fly back to the market and at least take a shuttle home with pieces of my ship to rebuild at base, but just shot up into the air followed by immediately crashing again. I must have put the vertical boosters in the wrong spot or something. I've just been logging in every day to make sure I get my spacebucks followed by immediately logging out.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 30, 2020

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I upped my pixel quality and noticed an immediate performance gain. It means bigger network payloads, but also not having to work for their slow rear end queue to get to me as many times when I make it to a new hex.

The geography loads in layers, so before I tweaked things it was sometimes taking 10-15 minutes before I could mine.

I'll get back to this game eventually, I crashed after my first space flight, have been stuck trying to figure out how to rebuild. I thought I was at a point where I could fly back to the market and at least take a shuttle home with pieces of my ship to rebuild at base, but just shot up into the air followed by immediately crashing again. I must have put the vertical boosters in the wrong spot or something. I've just been logging in every day to make sure I get my spacebucks followed by immediately logging out.

You should join our discord, we can pick you up and help build a ship or you can just take one of the spares etc

I absolutely do not recommend DU solo - everything will take too long if you play by yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

FileNotFound posted:

You should join our discord, we can pick you up and help build a ship or you can just take one of the spares etc

I absolutely do not recommend DU solo - everything will take too long if you play by yourself.

I am in your discord, I'm using the blueprints for the jetsled. Damned if I can figure out how it goes back together though, so my goal now is just to fly back to a shuttle spot and ferry my ship parts back to my Sanctuary L container for a rebuild.