Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY3XGzDousM

What is Geshin Impact?

https://genshin.mihoyo.com/en

Genshin Impact is a free to play open world RPG with Character collector elements, and it's on PC, Mobile, PS4 and there's a Switch version on the way.

Free to play, or Fee to pay? Pay to win? Pay to not wait?

The game is funded, as most "free" games are by a cash shop. The three primary things in the cash shop are Gatcha tokens (yes, it's a gatcha game, but more on that later), A battle pass, and a daily premium currency drip-feed monthly sub.

What makes the game quite unusual is the Gatcha isn't nearly as critical as in other games. It's entirely playable and fun with the "free" characters. The Gatcha characters should be seen more as a way to make bigger, cooler numbers. Just spend sensibly, and you're fine!

Well, this sounds ok so far, but there's always a catch with these "Free to play" games

At the moment, there really isn't. As I said before, the game is perfectly playable and fun without ever spending! You get premium currency for completing missions and finding things, so even if you're an F2P purist, you can still make gatcha rolls.

What about the gameplay, though? Is it good?

Yes. Yes it is. In all the years I've played F2P games on every platform, I've never come across such a delight.

OK! So what should I play it on?

Anything, really. All you need to know is you're account locked on PS4, but all other platforms are cross account, meaning if you play it on PC, you can take it with you on your mobile! Mobile play is a bit janky, but playable when you get used to it.

Xaerael fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

The Characters

Note: Tiers MUST be taken with a pinch of salt! EVERY CHARACTER has a use!!!

Traveller (you)

This is your default character. A reasonable single handed sword user, who comes in both male and female flavours (picked during the opening cutscene). Your choice is purely aesthetic, and you can't make a mistake.

Tier: A (Anemos) / B (geo)

Role: Support

Considered quite useful for exploration in Anemos mode, and the fact that as time goes by, you can switch elements (currently Anemos (wind) and Geo (earth)) makes the default character very versatile.

Amber

The first free character you pick up. Amber is a Pyro Bow user and a Knights of Favonius.

Tier: D

Amber's kit isn't as good as the other archers, and her Pyro skills aren't as good as other Pyros. While she is the first freebie you pick up outside of your default, she's probably a hot contender for being switched out early when you pick up better options (unless you're maining a Pyro, and need the double pyro resonance). She has a semi-useful Passive that allows your whole party to glide longer, but ehhhhh, gliding doesn't eat that much stamina.

Kaeya

Another freebie, Kaeya is a Cryo Sword user, and a Knights of Favonius, and has an air of :smuggo: about him. He's also the descendant of a pirate. :pirate:

Tier: B

Kaeya's the better Knights of Favonius freebie you pick up. Being a cryo means that pairing him with a Hydro gives you the very nice Frozen reaction. His passive also lets your whole party sprint longer, which is great!

More to come!

Xaerael fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Oct 1, 2020

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Tips and Knowledge

Is it better to do 10x pulls, or single pulls?

No one really knows, but as a personal anecdote, I've been using the different banners to gather statistics, single pulled 5*s twice and Multi pulled a 5* once. My pull rates on 4*s seems consistent between singe and multi. Once the game has been out for a while, I will publish my findings.

Is there pity?

Yes. Every 10th pull is a 4* if the previous 9 were only 3*'s. Every 90th pull is a 5* if the previous 89 were 3's and 4's. This is TIED TO THE BANNER YOU PULLED ON, but according to customer service the "Character event banner" and the "Weapon event banner" are static records, and carry over when they change. (eg. if there was a banner for Qiqi, and you rolled 60 times without success and the banner changed to Diluc, a 5* will occur at roll 30 on the new banner if you fail to pull before that time, with the increased odds of pulling Diluc.

What's the current banner?

quote:

Event Wish "Ballad in Goblets" is now available. During this event wish, the 5-star character "Windborne Bard" Venti (Anemo) as well as 4-star characters "Shining Idol" Barbara (Hydro), "Prinzessin der Verurteilung!" Fischl (Electro), and "Exquisite Delicacy" Xiangling (Pyro) will get a huge drop-rate boost!

〓Rules〓
5-Star Items
For Event Wish "Ballad in Goblets": Base probability of winning 5-star character = 0.600%; consolidated probability (incl. guarantee) = 1.600%; guaranteed to win 5-star character at least once per 90 attempts.
The first time you win a 5-star item in this event wish, there is a 50% chance it will be the promotional character "Windborne Bard" Venti (Anemo). If the first 5-star character you win in this event wish is not the promotional character, then the next 5-star character you win is guaranteed to be the promotional character.
4-Star Items
For Event Wish "Ballad in Goblets": Base probability of winning 4-star item = 5.100%; consolidated probability (incl. guarantee) = 13.000%; guaranteed to win 4-star or above item at least once per 10 attempts.
The first time you win a 4-star item in this event wish, there is a 50% chance it will be one of the featured characters "Shining Idol" Barbara (Hydro), "Prinzessin der Verurteilung!" Fischl (Electro), and "Exquisite Delicacy" Xiangling (Pyro). If the first 4-star item you win in this event wish is not one of the featured characters, then the next 4-star item you win is guaranteed to be a featured character.

4-star weapons won in this wish come with Masterless Starglitter ×2; 3-star weapons won in this wish come with Masterless Stardust ×15.

〓Duplicate Characters〓
On obtaining a 5-star character that you already own (whether obtained in a wish, redeemed at the shop, or awarded by the game): The 2nd – 7th time you obtain the character, it will be converted into that character's Stella Fortuna ×1 and Masterless Starglitter ×10; from the 8th time onwards it will be converted into Masterless Starglitter ×25.
On obtaining a 4-star character that you already own (whether obtained in a wish, redeemed at the shop, or awarded by the game): The 2nd – 7th time you obtain the character, it will be converted into that character's Stella Fortuna ×1 and Masterless Starglitter ×2; from the 8th time onwards it will be converted into Masterless Starglitter ×5.

※ This is a character event wish. The wish guarantee count is accumulated within this event only and is independent of the guarantee counts of other wishes.

Xaerael fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Oct 6, 2020

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
Game is good and I’m glad it’s catching with so many people. It’s definitely not “10/10 GOTY BETTER THAN BREATH OF THE WILD” but it gives the stale gacha market a shake-up and I love being able to play it on PC when I have time or switch to mobile when I’m out and about.

e: also friend code is 600231456

Whoreson Welles fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 30, 2020

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Where do I go to buy more of those wishes that the banners need? I thought I could use Primogems for it but I'm actually just not sure how to change them over

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Where do I go to buy more of those wishes that the banners need? I thought I could use Primogems for it but I'm actually just not sure how to change them over

If you just go to the Wish page and click the button to do the wishes, it will give you a pop up. Other than that, if you want to buy singles to save up, go to Shop then Paimon's Bargains.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

There are some pretty cool and fun boss fights in this game and they're actually moderately challenging, which was very unexpected. I'm nearly done with cleanup in Mondstat and heading over to Liuyue fulltime and despite being all over that map multiple times I'm still somehow missing like 10 anemograms or whatever they're called. I'm almost tempted to use a map but at this point it'd be that annoying gameplay of checking everywhere there ever was one...

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Infinity Gaia posted:

There are some pretty cool and fun boss fights in this game and they're actually moderately challenging, which was very unexpected. I'm nearly done with cleanup in Mondstat and heading over to Liuyue fulltime and despite being all over that map multiple times I'm still somehow missing like 10 anemograms or whatever they're called. I'm almost tempted to use a map but at this point it'd be that annoying gameplay of checking everywhere there ever was one...

I've done a few of the elemental cube bosses and one giant plant boss and they were all really cool and well done. Good tells on the moves, enough move variety and interesting mechanics. Being way under level made it a good challenge but even if I had the math advantage I couldn't just sleepwalk the fights.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
The game has done a good job so far of being inspired by Breath of the Wild to the point of it feeling almost like a reskin of sorts. I wonder, as I progress into the game, if I'll feel that same charm and excitement I had playing BotW. So far it's nice. Gacha is mega-hyper stingy though, drat.

I should have done the Noelle roll but I was stupid and tried the other banner instead.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Honkaii past its honeymoon period is also very stingy so its on track with their record. I don't expect it to get better.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Framboise posted:

The game has done a good job so far of being inspired by Breath of the Wild to the point of it feeling almost like a reskin of sorts. I wonder, as I progress into the game, if I'll feel that same charm and excitement I had playing BotW. So far it's nice. Gacha is mega-hyper stingy though, drat.

I should have done the Noelle roll but I was stupid and tried the other banner instead.

The Noelle banner is a forever-banner though, right? 10x Acquaints are dead easy to farm.

The Gatcha *is* stingy, but I think it's fine. As long as you're rolling 10x's rather than singles, you should get a nice flow of purples. Completionism, or chasing a specific thing is the road to madness, I feel. (That being said, give me Fish you bloody game. My every team REALLY needs her!)

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

What is the most efficient spending strategy for this game to maximize rewards?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I think I did okay to that extent at least-- out of my pulls I still managed to scrape through with Fischl and Sucrose. Dunno how useful the latter will be, but she's cute so I guess I have that going for me?

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
I did a dumb and blew some of my wishes(?) on single rolls. Is re-rolling as simple as deleting and reinstalling if you’ve already made an account? I’m on mobile btw

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

I did a dumb and blew some of my wishes(?) on single rolls. Is re-rolling as simple as deleting and reinstalling if you’ve already made an account? I’m on mobile btw

New email, create new acc on the main website.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

do ineed to do any rerolling before starting for good stuff?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Not really, unless you really want to try for a gold character or better purples. There's tons of "How to AR7 quick" guides.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

queeb posted:

do ineed to do any rerolling before starting for good stuff?

I didn't. The game is just fun. It doesn't have that obvious "I'm going to kick myself if I don't reroll" feeling. Apperently you can get far into the game with just the default characters.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

Xaerael posted:

New email, create new acc on the main website.

Cool, thanks. Apparently you don’t even need an email to create an acc on the mobile app and you can just make up a username. Might have to tie it to an email later though, I’ll report back.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
This game is really loving good, I can't recommend it enough. Also highly recommend you play with headphones if you're on PC, the music has absolutely no right being as great as it is.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Just pull a 6 star on your first account, nbd. (it's actually wild to me they don't guarantee a 6* on the beginner banner)

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

gay for gacha posted:

What is the most efficient spending strategy for this game to maximize rewards?

After you do your two discount 10-rolls, I think the best strategy is to save up. They give you a pity 5-star after 90 rolls, so waiting until you have that saved up will guarantee you get the best long-term reward for your investment.

EDIT:
The giant ice flower world boss keeps kicking my rear end. I tried for the second time, and then I discovered Genshin Impact will actually stick you with an overeating penalty if you try to heal every hit by eating a bunch of low-value fruit. Cheesing fights like you could in Skyrim and BotW isn't quite so easy.

avoraciopoctules fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 30, 2020

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

avoraciopoctules posted:

After you do your two discount 10-rolls, I think the best strategy is to save up. They give you a pity 5-star after 90 rolls, so waiting until you have that saved up will guarantee you get the best long-term reward for your investment.

EDIT:
The giant ice flower world boss keeps kicking my rear end. I tried for the second time, and then I discovered Genshin Impact will actually stick you with an overeating penalty if you try to heal every hit by eating a bunch of low-value fruit. Cheesing fights like you could in Skyrim and BotW isn't quite so easy.

Yeah I'm glad it encourages you to cook good food. The ice flower guy puts up a lot of icy floor that does like 300 dps so you absolutely need an archer. Also dodge towards or away from him when he does the double laser.

That I could take down a level 36 boss with a level 20 party is very encouraging because it means you probably won't have to worry about power disparity between the star rankings of characters. Don't reroll for stats, reroll for waifu purposes.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

avoraciopoctules posted:

EDIT:

The vine boss fights are also where you have to start switching characters between phases. For instance, for the Pyro one, a water user beats up the core so it flops over, then switch to your best DPS to kick the crap out of it.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
When people compare it to Breath of the Wild is that just in general aesthetic and open-world setting or in plot structure too? I finished Xenoblade 2 recently so I'm not super in the mood for a plucky-young-heroes-save-the-world-from-the-evil-god/church/rival-and-learn-about-love-and-friendship-along-the-way but I am down for a slow meandering journey around a big world discovering stuff at my own pace.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Is this game for real? F2P Chinese game that isn't exploitive, with an anime style that isn't overly sexualized, and actual has good gameplay?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Pierson posted:

When people compare it to Breath of the Wild is that just in general aesthetic and open-world setting or in plot structure too?
No.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

A million things about this game and no one has said what the actual gameplay is like.

Xaerael posted:

What about the gameplay, though? Is it good?

Yes. Yes it is. In all the

So what's so special about it?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Victory Position posted:

A million things about this game and no one has said what the actual gameplay is like.

Have you played Breath of the Wild? A huge amount of the gameplay is more or less copypasted into this, with MMO/gacha mechanics added in-- and in addition to that, there's character unlocking/switching for strategic purposes, not just playing one character alone.

People aren't kidding when they reference BotW here, the resemblance is uncanny.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
0/10 title should've been Breath of the Waifu

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
So a lot of the feel of breath of the wild is there. The large map, climbing and gliding, the fact that the world is just packed to bursting with little prizes for the taking

What you won't find is the puzzles and physics related emergent gameplay. Instead you get a game with faster paced combat based around swapping characters to combine spells (water + ice freezes enemies. Fire + electric makes them explode). It's got lots of free to play trappings of course, and mmo-style daily quests, achievements, and currencies while still being a single player game with optional co op.

It is absolutely its own game that draws heavily from BotW in several areas. Plus you don't have to deal with your weapons breaking all the time, and climbing in the rain doesn't make you slide down!

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I've run into a fair number of environmental puzzles, but it's generally a bit more artificial than Breath of the Wild. Light the torches, chase the glowing lights, there were even some treasure chests that popped up when I inspected oddly placed holes and fruit.

The shrine-equivalents also have treasure hidden in out of the way spots you can find if you get creative with wind currents and smashing suspicious walls.

Altogether, Nintendo does better environmental puzzles and physics, but I am still really enjoying traversal and exploration. I am constantly finding that my curiosity about the world gets rewarded, and I never get the frustration I had in BotW when a treasure wasn't very useful because this game has tons of money sinks where you can channel those resources.

Overall, I am having more fun with the combat against high-end Genshin Impact enemies than I did against Lynels/Talus, and that's pretty nice! Some of the ninjas, mages, and ancient robots in the second zone really up the challenge with more than just big numbers. Sidequest writing is also more interesting, there's some spooky out of the way spots in Liyue that turned out way more engaging than I initially expected.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
are there any missed promotion opportunities that makes rerolling not great now 2 days after release? Or is it still as good?

even though i'm up to ar 16 im still tempted to reroll cause I want a good dps since I don't have one:(

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

Tabletops posted:

are there any missed promotion opportunities that makes rerolling not great now 2 days after release? Or is it still as good?

even though i'm up to ar 16 im still tempted to reroll cause I want a good dps since I don't have one:(

I’m going to find out about promotional stuff when I have time to get through the intro, but I think you can just safely reroll as much as you want by creating new accounts. I made a new one a bit ago and just double checked that I could log into my original one, and everything was there.

Edit: Promotional stuff is still available, everything goes right to your mail. Login event should be fine too, I can’t imagine they made 7- day track only 7 days long.

Cant Ride A Bus fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 30, 2020

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Framboise posted:

Have you played Breath of the Wild? A huge amount of the gameplay is more or less copypasted into this, with MMO/gacha mechanics added in-- and in addition to that, there's character unlocking/switching for strategic purposes, not just playing one character alone.

People aren't kidding when they reference BotW here, the resemblance is uncanny.

I have! If it's a near 1:1 make of Breath of the Wild, but MMO, that does sound like something checking out!

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

There was basically no difficulty for a pretty long time, but after ar20 and all the different things it's kind of starting to ramp up (not counting main quest). Tried some Spiral Abyss, and ho boy. This is usually where the asian mmo trappings with ultra +'d equipment loses me.

Overall a really good game though. Looks and plays exceptionally on PC. Gacha is real bad though. I'm invested until the wall hits me and the honeymoon is over, and I'll drop the hot potato. Until then though, the potato is real fun and pretty.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Reposting this from the other thread.

RobotsLoveSpectres posted:

Yo anyone playing Genshin, once you hit account lvl 10 or whatever you can redeem this code: Genshin0928N

Redeem at this URL:
https://genshin.mihoyo.com/en/gift

For this:

It's nothing huge but free poo poo is free poo poo

Replace the N with and E for Europe.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Victory Position posted:

I have! If it's a near 1:1 make of Breath of the Wild, but MMO, that does sound like something checking out!

it's not, it just shares a lot of the overworld exploration mechanics with BoTW but otherwise is quite different. especially the combat.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Edit: quote is not edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Am I just unlucky or are rates on dupes super high? I've done about 4 10 pulls by now and only 1 of them didn't have a dupe character, hah. I want fire greatsword man damnit.