Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Some Goon posted:

I don't know how Steve doesn't go off on reddit for being dipshits.

I also don't know why Steve reads reddit.

he posts pretty often on there:

https://www.reddit.com/user/Lelldorianx

he's one of the special people whose voice is apparent in text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
lol looks like 8-bit doesn't like criticism and turned off comments for that disastrous video.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Lol

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
https://twitter.com/Kavaeric/status/1310781622715846656

mewse
May 2, 2006

One of the (many) crazy parts is that he had the cutting wheel on the dremel, he was fully set up to cut a slot in the screw head and use a flathead screwdriver to get it out. Instead he cuts the sides off the screwhead, cutting grooves in the psu. Also just get the proper tool ffs

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh no not some garbage old computer that was rotting in a warehouse broken anyway.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It can be true that he's a dumbass and some people are overreacting at the same time.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Charles posted:

Oh no not some garbage old computer that was rotting in a warehouse broken anyway.

I think people are more clowning about a dude running a tech tube channel being unable to understand the basics of removing screws.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm all about the part where he carries around an assault rifle in public seemingly for the sole purpose of scaring people

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Also how would you have not encountered security torx before now

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

the hardware store he bought the wrong fuse from could have sold him the right security bits

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Charles posted:

I love your ability to drop into threads with the dumbest takes like a developmentally challenged ninja.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

if he'd bought the ifixit kit linus always shills he'd have had the right bits

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

VostokProgram posted:

if he'd bought the ifixit kit linus always shills he'd have had the right bits

ifixit kits are legit amazing though.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

wargames posted:

ifixit kits are legit amazing though.

Quoting for truth.

After using one I believe all the youtubers who say "I'm not sponsored, they're just great", since they are just great.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Does the iFixit stuff have some genuine weight to them? As in it feels like a quality product? How are the bits? Any stripping, deformation etc. ?

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

I wouldn't say any specific bit of my iFixit kit has a significant amount of heft. The driver base is heavier than, say, a standard plastic handle screwdriver but that's about it.

I mostly only pull mine out for when I'm doing maintenance on my desktop and so far the bits have held up a lot better than the previous driver kit I bought.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Wirth1000 posted:

Does the iFixit stuff have some genuine weight to them? As in it feels like a quality product? How are the bits? Any stripping, deformation etc. ?

We used them at work, and whenever any one uses them they go out and buy a set for themselves including the maintenance team. So stripping or deformation yet. they are hefty and metal. Very much a quality product.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Wirth1000 posted:

I've only had mine for a couple months, but given I can't stop tinkering with my loving computer, it's seen use pretty much every other week. I haven't noticed any stripping, and honestly the fact that I have 100% of the bits I'll ever need and 90% of the ones I won't means I can use the exact driver I need instead of fudging it (looking at phillips here). The bendy extension is an MVP though, since I work on SFF stuff and getting my fat sausage fingers in there can be hell.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Wirth1000 posted:

Every time I use my iFixit screwdriver I unironically find myself thinking "what a quality product, I'm so glad I bought this". It's a solid metal handle, feels well constructed. The bits haven't shown any sign of damage.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

I guess it's ironic that I've been put off buying their stuff because Linus used to shill it.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
They're not great quality, but it's everything you need in one set that's affordable.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I got a Tekton kit (https://www.tekton.com/everybit-tech-rescue-kit-28301) that comes in a little pouch and is super portable that I really like. It has some great stuff packed in there from all the spudgers to the suction cup puller to the magnetic spot for screws.

The screwdriver is nice and solid too. Has all the bits I need, a+ would buy again.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think if you priced the iFixit screwdriver stuff up against Wera/Wiha drivers then it would look like very good value

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

My ifixit kit has magnetized drivers and that's a godsend for annoying tiny m.2 screws. But I honestly don't think I needed 50+ drivers. I only really use like 3 of them.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Thanks Ants posted:

I think if you priced the iFixit screwdriver stuff up against Wera/Wiha drivers then it would look like very good value

I use Wiha stuff for work when work is footing the bill. Otherwise I'd go all out on Wiha for my personal poo poo, too. I can't recommend Wiha enough.

I've been eyeing iFixit stuff for a while precisely cause it'd just be for personal use so all this feedback from real users is appreciated on top of the YouTuber "I'm not sposnroed I just love this so much" stuff.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thanks Ants posted:

The Wera drivers are so good though.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

I use Wiha stuff for work when work is footing the bill. Otherwise I'd go all out on Wiha for my personal poo poo, too. I can't recommend Wiha enough.

I've been eyeing iFixit stuff for a while precisely cause it'd just be for personal use so all this feedback from real users is appreciated on top of the YouTuber "I'm not sposnroed I just love this so much" stuff.

Wiha stuff is amazing. Even though the handles are plastic, they still feel really good.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Kingnothing posted:

Wiha stuff is amazing. Even though the handles are plastic, they still feel really good.

This set has a machined aluminum driver, I've had it for a while and it's pretty great: https://m.banggood.com/XIAOMI-Mijia...ur_warehouse=CN

It uses to be branded as Wiha so I dunno what happened to that, maybe it was always a scam. But regardless, it's very good. Just screwdrivers though.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I have the same set and it's excellent. I don't think it was a scam, I remember there was some notice of partnership from Wiha, but who knows what happened.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Charles posted:

Garbage computer for a garbage person

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
The 8-bit Guy put out a video defending himself... exclusively on his Patreon. He did say in the post it could be linked elsewhere that his IBM Executive Workstation video is being discussed, so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYopBjwhF1M

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Mr.Radar posted:

The 8-bit Guy put out a video defending himself... exclusively on his Patreon. He did say in the post it could be linked elsewhere that his IBM Executive Workstation video is being discussed, so:

I can’t bring myself to watch this.

He’s clearly trying to emulate his delivery style after the dude from smarter every day, but he just sounds like a goober.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mr.Radar posted:

- He spends like 5 seconds acknowledging he screwed up and that he apologizes for what he did, out of a 10 minute video explaining why he did what he did

- He still hasn't consulted someone (an electrical engineer?) on how he blew the power supply, he just spoke to other repair dorks like himself who just stumble blindly until it works

- "Nobody thought this computer destined for a museum was valuable"

I only made it like halfway thru this

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
re: Ifixit kits, the quality is better than hardware store cheapo 100 in 1 sets, but nothing special beyond that. The driver is all metal and solid, but small, and the bits are good. But they're very much made for small electronics repair, not general purpose work. If you're looking for a scewdriver for both fixing your PC and your kitchen cabinets, look elsewhere.

The reasons to get one:
- nice case & bit index
- every goddamn weird bit for "security" screws
- supports the ifixit people who are doing good things

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Mr.Radar posted:

skipped to like 3 minutes in

"and that now brings us to the next point of discussion, which was the paper clip. so a lot of people are enraged by that and i think there's a lot of armchair warriors out there right now that are um... what i mean by that"

:five:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I actually watched the whole thing, he has fair points, but is pretty tone deaf about it, honestly. But what do you expect from a guy who brings an assault rifle to Subway to educate people and paintball guns to a school or whatever?

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.
What even was the goal with the paperclip thing anyway? Clearly it didn't do whatever he thought it would cause it exploded. (disclaimer: didn't watch "response" video)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

He thought that closing the power switch on the monitor showing continuity on a tester meant that these chunky cables in mains flex colours (the only cables going up to the monitor from the PSU) were just a switch line, so he tried to boot the machine by just shorting the line and neutral out on the power supply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

He thought that closing the power switch on the monitor showing continuity on a tester meant that these chunky cables in mains flex colours (the only cables going up to the monitor from the PSU) were just a switch line, so he tried to boot the machine by just shorting the line and neutral out on the power supply.

Yeah he thought he could bypass the power switch on the monitor by cramming a paper clip across those wires like it was an ATX power supply and not a computer from the birth of the personal computer era