Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Der-Wreck posted:

the meridian charts from the first were horrible

It's been a long time since this thread produced an opinion I so thoroughly disagreed with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AmOB26OU6E

Maybe this time it'll be good? No news on the new character AFAIK, apparently it will no longer be open world.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Azran posted:

Maybe this time it'll be good? No news on the new character AFAIK, apparently it will no longer be open world.

Wait, this is coming to the Switch? A PS Pro could barely run the single room tutorial in 9. Even if they lose the open world that engine is still a horrorshow.

At least at launch, anyway. Maybe the made it less bad since.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Azran posted:

Huh, the open world could've been interesting with Empires. I'm still glad they're moving away from it though.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Given how strong DW9's character designs are, I'm looking forward to playing with the character creator. I seriously hope they improve on 9's base systems at least a bit.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Well, I knew they'd have to do an Empires. The screenshot function of 9 alone called for it. But I wonder how the game will operate without open-world.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Ooh I love empires! However, I’ve never played 9 because it looks and sounds bad. Hmm.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Happy Hedonist posted:

Ooh I love empires! However, I’ve never played 9 because it looks and sounds bad. Hmm.

Well good news in your case is that it looks to be only using designs (and movelists?) from 9 and not the open world thing, as confirmed by the series director.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It got missed here but the Other game is an Android/iOS Dynasty Warriors game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZhKisgeLfA

This makes for the third DW mobile game in development now, behind Tencent's thing and NEXON's missing-in-action MMO based on DW9. Interestingly enough, this game is based on DW9 too. I guess KT is really just gonna barrel forward on that.

https://twitter.com/bk2128/status/1310113756932911111

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

So no DW10? Is the big shindig over?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

No DW10. That interview with 4Gamer says they have other things in motion right now, so I assume one of them is DW10, but this is just their little new console generation launch era game.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Welp I’m excited for a new Empire game, so that’s exciting. I’m looking forward to seeing what this next gen of Koei games looks like.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Azran posted:

I just hope they got some decent voice actors this time.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Azran posted:

Reaction 1: WHAT?!

Reaction 2: Cao Cao, my dude :mmmhmm:

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Nemo2342 posted:

I just hope they got some decent voice actors this time.

Nah, they'll just cut English voices altogether.

Too bad, Jamieson Price was the best Lu Bu they ever had.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Arbite posted:

Too bad, Jamieson Price was the best Lu Bu they ever had.

Yeah, 8: Empires didn't have english voices either. It actually kinda spoiled it for me, and I didn't spend nearly as much time on it as I have other, earlier Empires titles. I want to be able to understand what the people are goddamn saying without having to read the drat subtitles.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I really like the idea of having Mandarin voice acting but DW9s was just god awful.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

i've never played an empires DW, what's the gist? Is there a turn based layer or something?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Fuligin posted:

i've never played an empires DW, what's the gist? Is there a turn based layer or something?

Yeah, there's a turn-based strategy layer ala Risk or something - you set policies and boost up your economy/army on your turns and decide whether/where you're going to attack, what officers to position in what regions, etc., then the actual attacks are DW-style maps. You can also be forced to defend your own territories on enemy turns when they attack you.

Specifics of how the strategy-layer works change from Empires game to Empires game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Policenaut posted:

I really like the idea of having Mandarin voice acting but DW9s was just god awful.

Having more than three actors would have helped.

Actually maybe not, when you can tell bad acting in a language you don't understand its pretty much irredeemable.

Also the language theyd be speaking back then would be closer to Cantonese :colbert:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

BlazetheInferno posted:

Yeah, there's a turn-based strategy layer ala Risk or something - you set policies and boost up your economy/army on your turns and decide whether/where you're going to attack, what officers to position in what regions, etc., then the actual attacks are DW-style maps. You can also be forced to defend your own territories on enemy turns when they attack you.

Specifics of how the strategy-layer works change from Empires game to Empires game.

Speaking of, is DW8 Empires better than SW4 Empires? I do already have the latter and feel like giving it another shot.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

Speaking of, is DW8 Empires better than SW4 Empires? I do already have the latter and feel like giving it another shot.

DW8E is fine, but I recall it being less interesting than SW4E. I haven't played either in several years, though, so my memory might be failing me.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
DW8E has a very trivial strategy layer. Haven't played 4E, but it apparently has one of the more involved strategy layers.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Just remake SW2:E

It was the best.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Morter posted:

Just remake SW2:E

It was the best.

Or at the very least give it a loving PC release

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Arbite posted:

I can never seem to focus on the subtitles and action at the same time, bummer... :(

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

I can usually do subtitled action games, but there's so much constant meaningless chatter in a Musou that I just can't. It took me a while playing SW4-II to figure out why I felt it wasn't working for me.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Unreal_One posted:

I can usually do subtitled action games, but there's so much constant meaningless chatter in a Musou that I just can't. It took me a while playing SW4-II to figure out why I felt it wasn't working for me.

Warriors Orochi 4 is absolutely horrendous for this; they never *ever* stop loving waffling on. Even the most basic plot exposition requires 12 characters to spew lengthy paragraphs at each other for the entire duration of a battle.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Warriors Orochi 4 is absolutely horrendous for this; they never *ever* stop loving waffling on. Even the most basic plot exposition requires 12 characters to spew lengthy paragraphs at each other for the entire duration of a battle.

WO4 and HW are freaking loud rear end games. WO4 for the reasons you point out, and HW because the god drat emeralds dropping is borderline cacophonous

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Here's a trailer for Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 Mobile, because gently caress you that's why

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYhIMLdEVjw

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It really is inspiring that they figured out how to make Ken's Rage 2 even worse.

DaveCG
Nov 5, 2009
At this point I’m so starved for Musou games I’d play the hell out of it. I didn’t mind Ken’s Rage 2 all that much, sure it wasn’t great but I wouldn’t say it was the worst. I’d love for them to do a second Arslan one, with all the stuff from the second season, I loved that first game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Remember how KR 1 had a cool what if scenerio mode including Jagi & Amiba's Excellent Adventure, then in 2 it was just an insanely boring prequel thing where nothing happened?

yeah

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Remember how KR 1 had a cool what if scenerio mode including Jagi & Amiba's Excellent Adventure, then in 2 it was just an insanely boring prequel thing where nothing happened?

yeah

Easily the worst change they made between the two.

DaveCG
Nov 5, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

yeah

You’re not wrong in that the what if mode from the first was amazing. But they tightened up the gameplay so much with the second. As always I end up wishing for a Frankenstein of two, like the amazing what if stories and huge battle fields from gundam Musou 1 and the gameplay if gundam 3 or reborn. I really hope we get a gundam 4, I loved mowing through zakus as Kai in the guncannon.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
I'm very bummed about the Empires announcement because I hated DW9 so much. The brown everywhere, the awful voice acting, the control scheme, it was just ugly and unfun. And I love the empires games. Just throw out a DW10 under the old formula and get me a new Empires game that doesn't suck.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wild that we're getting BotW 2 before P5 Scramble.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So long as the empires part is good, I'm sold. I am ready for the mighty hero Cactus to take over China again.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Maybe I'll make him fat this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Shinjobi posted:

Maybe I'll make him fat this time.

How do you name your guy Cactus and not make him fat?