Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
John Byrne's also a known colossal liar. He's been telling the story where he claims Mark Waid stood up at a panel and yelled "CAN WE HAVE THE REAL SUPERMAN BACK" for like 30 years, always changing what con it was at or what year it happened.

And then there's that rubber stamp he would use for reprints. Huge rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

And then there's that rubber stamp he would use for reprints. Huge rear end in a top hat.

He'd use a stamp to sign reprints instead of his actual signature?

That's impressively petty.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well you see he's a huge loving rear end in a top hat.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I always love the story of how Byrne responded in the negative to a posted quote on his own forum, about how wrong they were and how could anyone think that and etc and it turns out that the quote was reposted so often the original poster wasn’t the one who said it originally and it turns out the one who said the thing that got Byrne’s dander so up was... John Byrne.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The retcon that brought back Barry Allen. Nobody needed that.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

SonicRulez posted:

The retcon that brought back Barry Allen. Nobody needed that.

Bringing back Barry not only undermined Wally's role in the DC Universe; it also undermined Barry's. This wasn't even a Hal Jordan vs Kyle Rayner situation. No one was asking for Barry to come back! In less than five years Barry went from "saint of the DC Universe" to "guy who committed omnicide."

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Claytor posted:

Bringing back Barry not only undermined Wally's role in the DC Universe; it also undermined Barry's. This wasn't even a Hal Jordan vs Kyle Rayner situation. No one was asking for Barry to come back! In less than five years Barry went from "saint of the DC Universe" to "guy who committed omnicide."
it's the reason I stopped being a regular comics reader :toot:

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Cubone posted:

it's the reason I stopped being a regular comics reader :toot:

That stuff leading into New52 is what killed it for me too

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Claytor posted:

I still have no idea why DC decided that was a good idea, other than panic over Bart not catching on (which, in turn, had more to do with Danny Bilson and Paul De Meo being lovely writers, rather than anything wrong with the character).

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Selachian posted:

I still have no idea why DC decided that was a good idea, other than panic over Bart not catching on (which, in turn, had more to do with Danny Bilson and Paul De Meo being lovely writers, rather than anything wrong with the character).

Bart didn't catch on, then a short lived "Waid does Wally again" run didn't catch on either for some reason.

One Year Later was maybe DC's most exciting attempt to shake things up and move forward since Crisis on Infinite Earths, and within two years they seemed fully committed to rolling back to the pre-Crisis status quo at all costs. Still don't get it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Claytor posted:

Bart didn't catch on, then a short lived "Waid does Wally again" run didn't catch on either for some reason.

Man, even Waid said he shouldn't have done Wally again because he aged away from Wally and writing it as somebody Wally's age was what helped the first run.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Claytor posted:

One Year Later was maybe DC's most exciting attempt to shake things up and move forward since Crisis on Infinite Earths, and within two years they seemed fully committed to rolling back to the pre-Crisis status quo at all costs. Still don't get it.

That was when DC seemed so cool to me and I pretty much stopped reading when they threw that all away like you’re saying. I would love to know what they were thinking and what was going on behind the scenes.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Claytor posted:

Loeb and Johns were bring back precrisis ideas for years before and also during the one year later.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Waid's return to Flash was 100% terrible and I will die on this hill.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bobkatt013 posted:

Loeb and Johns were bring back precrisis ideas for years before and also during the one year later.

Also Didio. He was the one with the infamous 'people get confused if Barbara Gordon isn't Batgirl.'

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Waid's return to Flash was 100% terrible and I will die on this hill.

It sounds like Waid agrees with you, so not much of a hill.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
People used to get up my rear end here about it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

People used to get up my rear end here about it.

I'm a Marvel kid so I mostly trust your opinion on DC poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was also the only guy who liked Avengers Forever!

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Rhyno posted:

Avengers Forever rules, just twelve issues of Kurt Busiek and Roger Stern being like "shut up, shut up, you can ALL be right"

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

nemesis_hub posted:

That was when DC seemed so cool to me and I pretty much stopped reading when they threw that all away like you’re saying. I would love to know what they were thinking and what was going on behind the scenes.

One Year Later brought me full on into the DCU and then, nu52 gradually pushed me back out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Karma Tornado posted:

Avengers Forever rules, just twelve issues of Kurt Busiek and Roger Stern being like "shut up, shut up, you can ALL be right"

Yes but ten years ago I was an outlier!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Soonmot posted:

One Year Later brought me full on into the DCU and then, nu52 gradually pushed me back out.
One Year Later was the only time I bought multiple DC books in a week.

I miss that version of Aquaman.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Yes but ten years ago I was an outlier!

sorry, mostly kept to wrestlehut those days. Avengers Forever has like the best possible Avengers lineup that doesn't include Hercules, because it has Hank Pym from the one day he was cool and also Hank Pym from much later when he regretted being cool for a day

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Avengers are the worst part of Marvel. They're only interesting when they're being broken or reinvented.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

Avengers are the worst part of Marvel. They're only interesting when they're being broken or reinvented.

They were reinvented endlessly for most of their publication history, Busiek and maybe Stern are the only ones who envisioned any kind of "definitive, classic" Avengers, and even they had new members in the team.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

They were reinvented endlessly for most of their publication history, Busiek and maybe Stern are the only ones who envisioned any kind of "definitive, classic" Avengers, and even they had new members in the team.

I've tried multiple times to read Korvak Saga and Kree-Skull war and it's dumb and boring.

Assault on Avengers Mansion was decent, aside from that the only big pre-Dissassembled story I've liked was Avengers/JLA.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

I should have joined sooner.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I also like Avengers Forever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
WHERE THE gently caress WERE YOU GUYS IN 2005

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Rhyno posted:

LURKING IN GBS MOSTLY

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

Rhyno posted:

writing way too many blog posts about the Avengers/ Defenders War

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
It’s weird watching the goon hivemind slowly shift over time. I swear there was a time when Ultimate Spider-Man was collectively considered an uninterrupted run of greatness, and now people are "eh" on the whole drat thing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

lifg posted:

It’s weird watching the goon hivemind slowly shift over time. I swear there was a time when Ultimate Spider-Man was collectively considered an uninterrupted run of greatness, and now people are "eh" on the whole drat thing.

My reading of it was split between the first 70-80 issues I read way back when and the rest up to Ultimatum just these past few weeks. I think it was consistently great, but not uninterrupted greatness. Part of what helps though is being able to binge it later instead of waiting between issues at the time because each storyline being at least six issues usually means going through a lot of setup that raises the bar for the conclusion. And the covers constantly showing you some villain or fight that might not happen until the end of the story arc doesn't help with that.

Now I'm going to read the post-Ultimatum reset on my way to reading Miles' comics for the first time.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
The fact that Ultimate Spiderman went on for so long will mean that it will highs and lows but I still think it was fairly consistent. There were some arcs that were better than others but I don't think the quality ever really sunk below pretty good.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
The worst part of USM is the long and boring X-Men/Deadpool murder island thing. Other than that the original run is pretty much gold

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

When specifically did Jubilee first show up with Shogo?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Unmature posted:

The worst part of USM is the long and boring X-Men/Deadpool murder island thing. Other than that the original run is pretty much gold

I was just thinking of what the lowest point of USM would be and yea the Deadpool arc was probably the bad stuff but it was one arc out of many.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

When specifically did Jubilee first show up with Shogo?

First issue of Brian Wood's Adjectiveless X-Men that was the all women team. Also had Psylocke in a costume that wasn't a bathing suit.

It was an okay book but came out right around the time he was outed as a sex pest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Just gonna repost this from the DC thread to open it up to more discussion because I'm curious

TwoPair posted:

Actually, the thought occurs, for as much as superhero comics are known for having a revolving door of death, when is the last time a major villain bit the dust? And I mean big, not like when a C-lister gets offed in an event or gets killed by an A-list villain like a Joker to show how eeevilll they are. Outside of baddies created for stuff like big crises and events, I am having a hard time.