Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

isndl posted:

There's a powercfg parameter to see which process(es) are keeping your computer wake locked. Don't remember it offhand though.

powercfg -requests to find the culprit

powercfg -requestoverride to tell 10 to ignore a given process/other thing and sleep anyhow

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/device-experiences/powercfg-command-line-options#option_requests

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Despite having group policy set to ask me before updating AND never restart with a logged in user, I came home to my PC installing updates and rebooting without permission today. Is there an actual way to turn this poo poo off without just nuking the update service entirely? Nothing even shows in my update history for today, so I'm not sure what it was.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I'm gonna use one of my computers to run a dedicated server for a video game for a bit. Would there be any benefit to prioritizing the processor usage for that task in windows?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Unlikely, unless your machine is starved for CPU, or you plan on using it for other things at the same time.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Yeah in general the operating system's scheduler will do a better job than you at deciding what to do.

The only two cases I've ever found where it makes sense to mess with that stuff are these:

1. Your application does not get along with multithreading or maybe hyperthreading in some way and needs to either be pinned to a single core or to a limited set of cores.
2. You're maxing out the CPU and want to give a specific application priority over the rest.

There's probably also some case where setting "real time" priority is actually useful and doesn't just result in that application being able to bring down the rest of the system like it's Classic Mac OS, but I haven't found it yet.

Under normal circumstances the only thing I'd consider messing with is this setting from the Advanced part of the old System control panel. I have no idea how to get there through the modern interface but the old way still works fine.

If your game server runs as a proper Windows service and not just another application that might be worth flipping, but even that's not really a huge deal unless the system is really loaded up.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

wolrah posted:

Under normal circumstances the only thing I'd consider messing with is this setting from the Advanced part of the old System control panel. I have no idea how to get there through the modern interface but the old way still works fine.

I always get to that by right click my computer.
[Windows-E] open explorer, right click my computer, properties.

Some of that old stuff still isn't integrated under the new settings

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Cool, its an 8700k and I dont plan on using it for anything besides that server while its running so I'll leave it alone

Thanks goons

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
so you can't pause indefinitely

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Well, no. You're not supposed to. You can pause for up to 35 days in advanced settings though, rather than 7, even on Home.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Nice, this update is also failing to install

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Well, that's a new one for me.

Had a process hang up so hard that the regular task kill couldn't kill it. Elevated PowerShell "Stop-Process -ID <PID> -Force" couldn't kill it. Reboot couldn't kill it. Had to hard power-off to restart.

The things I do for my kids (Fortnite).

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Trying to resolve an infuriating Bluetooth audio issue.

Running Windows 10 Home (v1909) on an Asus Zenbook, connecting to a Samsung Bluetooth sound bar. I've had this setup for ~5 years now with no issue. Just this Saturday I proceeded to start streaming music and the sound was stuttering so bad so as to be unusable. I don't actually use this setup all that often, so I can't say when it first started happening.

-> To be sure, the stuttering is only over the BLE. My laptop plays it just fine.
-> I turned off my router, Roku, cable box, even turned off the lights...no improvement
-> I tried using a small cheapo BLE speaker, and noticed that at only a few feet (like 2 - 3 feet) away, it also started crapping out.

There have been no physical or positional changes. The only two possibilities I can think of are:

(1) Some Windows upgrade along the way has screwed something up
-> Yes, I have updated all devices drivers from their OEM sources and ran the Bluetooth troubleshooting tool. Neither fixed it.

(2) New devices in neighboring units (I'm in an apartment building) now causing interference, where previously there was none.

Are there any legit leads on (1) being the case? There do seem to be a lot of complaints about Windows 10 Bluetooth performance but its often hard to tell what's smoke and what's fire. Regarding (2), I guess I can't do much about this.... :(

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cyril Sneer posted:

Running Windows 10 Home (v1909) on an Asus Zenbook, connecting to a Samsung Bluetooth sound bar. I've had this setup for ~5 years now with no issue. Just this Saturday I proceeded to start streaming music and the sound was stuttering so bad so as to be unusable. I don't actually use this setup all that often, so I can't say when it first started happening.

-> To be sure, the stuttering is only over the BLE. My laptop plays it just fine.
-> I turned off my router, Roku, cable box, even turned off the lights...no improvement
-> I tried using a small cheapo BLE speaker, and noticed that at only a few feet (like 2 - 3 feet) away, it also started crapping out.

There have been no physical or positional changes. The only two possibilities I can think of are:

-> Yes, I have updated all devices drivers from their OEM sources and ran the Bluetooth troubleshooting tool. Neither fixed it.

(2) New devices in neighboring units (I'm in an apartment building) now causing interference, where previously there was none.

Are there any legit leads on (1) being the case? There do seem to be a lot of complaints about Windows 10 Bluetooth performance but its often hard to tell what's smoke and what's fire. Regarding (2), I guess I can't do much about this.... :(

I'd say Windows 10 has improved Bluetooth handling over Windows 7, but that's not saying a huge amount.

If the wireless card is accessible on the Zenbook it might be worth opening the hatch and making sure the antenna wires haven't detached - trying to troubleshoot software for what turns out to be a hardware issue is one of my least favorite things.

Can other devices like your phone broadcast Bluetooth as expected to the soundbar and speaker?

Is a microphone symbol showing up in your taskbar when you connect the laptop Bluetooth to the speakers? If so, it is probably using the wrong type of Bluetooth connection. I have this happen with Bluetooth headsets with some regularity, where Windows will decide to connect to them as though they were old-school phone headsets instead of headphones, and use a lovely audio codec and/or refuse to transmit sound. I've had some success blacklisting device types in the Windows sound settings to prevent this, but it's been uneven.

At least in Windows 10 I can successfully change sound output devices while a program is running, which never worked for me in Windows 7.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cyril Sneer posted:

There have been no physical or positional changes.

This says radio interference or some physical problem to me, if the BT drivers or whatnot took a poo poo I'd expect them to be bad all the time. But you could try using a linux live USB as an easy way to check how it works with totally different software.

Cyril Sneer posted:

There do seem to be a lot of complaints about Windows 10 Bluetooth performance but its often hard to tell what's smoke and what's fire.

and bluetooth itself is the 2020 West Coast Fires

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

If the wireless card is accessible on the Zenbook it might be worth opening the hatch and making sure the antenna wires haven't detached - trying to troubleshoot software for what turns out to be a hardware issue is one of my least favorite things.

I stumbled across a similar suggestion elsewhere but was pretty skeptical. But now that I'm seeing it again, maybe there's something to it. That said, the card is integrated and not obvioulsy accessible. I'd probably have to dissasemble the body or monitor to get to it.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Can other devices like your phone broadcast Bluetooth as expected to the soundbar and speaker?

I seem to be having a run of bad luck with my electronics, as just a few days ago I dropped my phone in the water so its dead. So at the moment, I don't have another device to test it with.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Is a microphone symbol showing up in your taskbar when you connect the laptop Bluetooth to the speakers? If so, it is probably using the wrong type of Bluetooth connection. I have this happen with Bluetooth headsets with some regularity, where Windows will decide to connect to them as though they were old-school phone headsets instead of headphones, and use a lovely audio codec and/or refuse to transmit sound. I've had some success blacklisting device types in the Windows sound settings to prevent this, but it's been uneven.

Not that I noticed but I'll keep an eye out for this.

Klyith posted:

This says radio interference or some physical problem to me, if the BT drivers or whatnot took a poo poo I'd expect them to be bad all the time. But you could try using a linux live USB as an easy way to check how it works with totally different software.

and bluetooth itself is the 2020 West Coast Fires

Heh, it really is. I actually do hardware development and have worked with BLE before. Trying to get it up and running on a windows platform was a huge pain in the rear end and in fact we don't support it at all. But at least in development, there were low-level tools that were useful in debugging bluetooth issues.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cyril Sneer posted:

I seem to be having a run of bad luck with my electronics, as just a few days ago I dropped my phone in the water so its dead. So at the moment, I don't have another device to test it with.

Ouch - that sucks. The suggestion above to try a live Linux distro makes sense in order to try to at least isolate it as a Windows versus hardware or interference issue.

Edit: The antenna thing is partly due to having seen a lot of laptops where the wifi crapped out, and it turned out that the connectors to the wireless card itself got detached. Sometimes there would be a problem with the antenna breaking at the hinge, too, but that was less common in my experience. This was also back when laptops tended to have more accessible parts, like hatches over the memory and so on. The current common design philosophy of building laptops so changing the storage drive requires complete disassembly pisses me off to no end.

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 5, 2020

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Cyril Sneer posted:

I have actually been doing a bit of research in terms of Bluetooth wireless headsets, because I'm going to be moving into a shared living situation. Based on my particular instance, I had issues involving the Intel AX200 wireless chipset, where Intel only recently pushed new drivers under v2004 back in August that solved my BSODs, but also seemed to have improved performance some questionmark?

I don't have an exact answer, because my eventual research led me to abandon Bluetooth and its various low-latency variants. Apparently, it is crap for low-latency sound, ill-supported, and that rather than actually make newer versions of Bluetooth process audio faster, they're instead stealing a page from livestreaming where they delay the video by a few hundred milliseconds to make the video sync with the delayed audio, and that if you want low-latency sound for whatever reason, you're getting a pair of headphones with a dongle.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 5, 2020

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Couldn't find a more appropriate thread for this, so I figured I'd pop it in here. Using libreoffice/openoffice, I was wondering if there was a way to automatically create a gap that fits the length of a table row, filling it with dots, so that it looks something like this:

(the dots are optional, I would settle for an automatically adjusting gap)

I feel like there's a better way than doing it manually, so when I go back and retype a word it doesn't ruin the formatting of the entire page.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Couldn't find a more appropriate thread for this, so I figured I'd pop it in here. Using libreoffice/openoffice, I was wondering if there was a way to automatically create a gap that fits the length of a table row, filling it with dots, so that it looks something like this:

(the dots are optional, I would settle for an automatically adjusting gap)

I feel like there's a better way than doing it manually, so when I go back and retype a word it doesn't ruin the formatting of the entire page.

Couldn't you just make a table with rows and columns?

e: I just created a table in LibreOffice Writer that does exactly what you are looking for - 2 columns and however many rows you need. Set column 2 to align to the right, adjust borders on whether you want a visible separation between the columns, and you're good. Resize the table and columns as needed.

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 11, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah that's gonna be a table without cell borders & align left/align right for the two columns

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Couldn't you just make a table with rows and columns?

e: I just created a table in LibreOffice Writer that does exactly what you are looking for - 2 columns and however many rows you need. Set column 2 to align to the right, adjust borders on whether you want a visible separation between the columns, and you're good. Resize the table and columns as needed.

That mostly works, but doesn't account for different lengths of text in the second column.

Essentially I'm trying to duplicate this style:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

That mostly works, but doesn't account for different lengths of text in the second column.

Essentially I'm trying to duplicate this style:

I'm not really sure where you are running into problems. I just slapped together a table that seems to do what you want - this is the print preview of it:

I didn't spend much time on it so there are a couple glitches and I just threw in a hyphen instead of a bullet, but it seems like it should be possible to use a table for what you want to do.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm not really sure where you are running into problems. I just slapped together a table that seems to do what you want - this is the print preview of it:

I didn't spend much time on it so there are a couple glitches and I just threw in a hyphen instead of a bullet, but it seems like it should be possible to use a table for what you want to do.

Yeah thats exactly what I want. Are you just holding down the period button to fill the gap?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Yeah thats exactly what I want. Are you just holding down the period button to fill the gap?

Yeah, that's what I did. With the aligns set it was easy to just let it run - there's probably a more elegant way to do it, but I was just doing it quick and dirty. You can click on the cell borders and move them if needed - I added a little padding between cells doing that. You can also drag the center line around if you want to change the size of the columns.

If nothing else it reminded me how much I prefer doing this kind of thing in LibreOffice than in Microsoft Office - Word always just pisses me off.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
This is the "proper" way to do it in an index. For non-index content, you can set the "tab leader" style in paragraph settings to be dots.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Tab leaders is how I'd do it for something like this. You can use control-tab to insert a tab inside a table cell. You'd want to put a right-aligned tab stop at the end of columns A and B with a period for a fill character. Hit control-tab at the end of your column A text, tab to column B, hit control-tab again and then your column B text. Column B will also need to be set for bottom alignment.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'd say Windows 10 has improved Bluetooth handling over Windows 7, but that's not saying a huge amount.

At least in Windows 10 I can successfully change sound output devices while a program is running, which never worked for me in Windows 7.

I got a new phone and was able to connect and stream without issue.

So, it definitely looks like the problem is originating from either my Windows install, or the laptop itself.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Rinkles posted:

so you can't pause indefinitely

With Pro you can. Home no.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Is there some secret option to allow me to share files across a subnet without active directory?

DNS is fine
Ports are open
Accounts have the same password on both machines

It used to work, but I moved the other machine to a different vlan and now it doesn’t. I promise that the routing between the vlans and such is set up correctly.

It feels like I’m butting up against a group policy or other security feature

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Dang, I thought I would have caught that... but I’ll take a look again, thx

namlosh fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 18, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

namlosh posted:

Is there some secret option to allow me to share files across a subnet without active directory?

DNS is fine
Ports are open
Accounts have the same password on both machines

It used to work, but I moved the other machine to a different vlan and now it doesn’t. I promise that the routing between the vlans and such is set up correctly.

It feels like I’m butting up against a group policy or other security feature

Windows Firewall default config only allows "local subnet" for file & printer share connections. Easiest thing would be to just add an allow all connections for the other IP range, but there are more precise options.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

redeyes posted:

With Pro you can. Home no.

I think this would work with any version of Windows 10, it disables all the update services.

https://www.sordum.org/9470/windows-update-blocker-v1-5/

You'd want to be vigilant about manually enabling updates, though. Or set a scheduled task to tell it to re-enable updates on a regular basis.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cyril Sneer posted:

I got a new phone and was able to connect and stream without issue.

So, it definitely looks like the problem is originating from either my Windows install, or the laptop itself.

Do you know what chipset your Bluetooth is? I know Intel had a driver update a while back that was dodgy, and there has been another recent driver update for it.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

doctorfrog posted:

I think this would work with any version of Windows 10, it disables all the update services.

https://www.sordum.org/9470/windows-update-blocker-v1-5/

You'd want to be vigilant about manually enabling updates, though. Or set a scheduled task to tell it to re-enable updates on a regular basis.

Just be aware, since this is messing with Windows Update through ways other than the documented controls, Windows will assume malware messed with your update settings, and it's very likely that Windows Update will randomly get fully re-enabled by the OS with all the standard settings at some point in the future. Lots of parts of Windows act like a sentinel for Windows Update and will fix it if it looks like its been tampered with.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I believe it disables the update services. Changing service settings isn't a documented control?

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Not for Windows Update services, no, because that's one of the ways malware used to turn Windows Update off to keep compromised systems compromised. So now Windows will re-enable them when it discovers the services are disabled -- which is probably why that tool has a separate "Protect Services settings" checkbox, to try to prevent that from happening.

The only supported ways of disabling Windows Update (i.e., ways that are guaranteed to not be 'fixed' by Windows if it notices the broken config) are through the Settings app and through Group Policy. You might be able to break enough stuff to keep Windows Update disabled long-term through other means, but you're kinda doing so at your own risk and should have the expectation Windows might undo your machinations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

biznatchio posted:

Not for Windows Update services, no, because that's one of the ways malware used to turn Windows Update off to keep compromised systems compromised. So now Windows will re-enable them when it discovers the services are disabled -- which is probably why that tool has a separate "Protect Services settings" checkbox, to try to prevent that from happening.

The only supported ways of disabling Windows Update (i.e., ways that are guaranteed to not be 'fixed' by Windows if it notices the broken config) are through the Settings app and through Group Policy. You might be able to break enough stuff to keep Windows Update disabled long-term through other means, but you're kinda doing so at your own risk and should have the expectation Windows might undo your machinations.

Yeah this is absolutely correct. Excellent info.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I just had a bugcheck code 0x59. Looking it up, it says PINBALL_FILE_SYSTEM. When I look up what that is, it tells me it's regarding the old HPFS driver, that's long gone from the Windows NT line of operating systems. That's sure nice and not helping.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Combat Pretzel posted:

I just had a bugcheck code 0x59. Looking it up, it says PINBALL_FILE_SYSTEM. When I look up what that is, it tells me it's regarding the old HPFS driver, that's long gone from the Windows NT line of operating systems. That's sure nice and not helping.

quote:

Cause
One possible cause of this bug check is depletion of nonpaged pool memory. If the nonpaged pool memory is completely depleted, this error can stop the system. However, during the indexing process, if the amount of available nonpaged pool memory is very low, another kernel-mode driver requiring nonpaged pool memory can also trigger this error.

Resolution
To resolve a nonpaged pool memory depletion problem: Add new physical memory to the computer. This will increase the quantity of nonpaged pool memory available to the kernel.
lol

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Klyith posted:

Windows Firewall default config only allows "local subnet" for file & printer share connections. Easiest thing would be to just add an allow all connections for the other IP range, but there are more precise options.

Checking in to say that this worked amazingly... I added my private ip range to a bunch of the different "File and Printer Sharing xxxxxxx" rules and now I can connect. Thanks so much.

Hey, what's SMBDirect anyway? looks like it was a server tech that's made it's way into Win10? should I be trying to use it? I can't keep up with these things... lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

How do I compare a couple of TB of files? I am copying them from disk to disk. I would like to know what files are identical and what not. The files have same names but they are in different places.

I tried powershell's FileCatalog thing but "ValidationFailed" result after like 24h of calculations does not help at all.

Which files are good? Which files are bad? The gently caress I know. I'd like some tool to compare them 1 by 1 and so that it saves the sha1/md5/whatever hash so it has to calculate it only once for one file...