Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

If these Secret Lair cards become format staples couldn't you simply glue a print of it onto a token card or whatever and play that way?

Only as much as you can any card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

fadam posted:

Lol this thread is going to be unreadable for decades after they announce the Harry Potter Strixhaven collab

You had way too many words in your post.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

fadam posted:

Lol this thread is going to be unreadable for decades after they announce the Harry Potter Strixhaven collab

Hasbro actually owns the rights to Walking Dead so this theoretically cost them no money to do, which means that they maybe won't be dumb enough to work with outside properties.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

:eng101: It is magic thread policy not to issue functional errata to posts

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

axeil posted:

Hasbro actually owns the rights to Walking Dead so this theoretically cost them no money to do, which means that they maybe won't be dumb enough to work with outside properties.

Hasbro does not in any way own the Walking Dead IP and that stupid reddit post is totally wrong.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

axeil posted:

Godzilla

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

New evangelion is coming out.....

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
At the very least, there should be an unspoken rule in commander that the other three players gang up on anyone who has a TWD card as their commander.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Some Goon posted:

New evangelion is coming out.....

Put this on a card, let's see it happen

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
They're definitely going to do the exact same thing they did with the Godzilla cards in Ikoria with Strixhaven right? Normal cards but alternate art/name versions of Harry Potter characters?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Do we have a thread for custom card design? I've got a mechanic I've been working on and don't wanna bother everyone unless this is the only place to reasonably put it.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Do we have a thread for custom card design? I've got a mechanic I've been working on and don't wanna bother everyone unless this is the only place to reasonably put it.

Custom Magic Card Thread

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Mike N Eich posted:

They're definitely going to do the exact same thing they did with the Godzilla cards in Ikoria with Strixhaven right? Normal cards but alternate art/name versions of Harry Potter characters?

I said earlier in the day I didn't think they'd get the IP, bit wizards created an entire licensed harry potter tcg so they do have that relationship with warner brothers.

Don't make any trans characters that set or you'll get cut off by Rowling lol.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I would buy the Harry Potter secret lair if the cards were all properly-designed versions of Rowling's halfassed retcons (Black Hermione, gay Dumbledore, etc) and a new but officially canon trans character.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
AFAIK, the Godzilla crossover stuff for Ikoria came late in the development process and wasn't part of the initial concept. Maro has also said that the Not-Harry Potter set is actually a bottom-up set, so the flavor came after the mechanical idea. My guess is that it's a new shard-based faction set to replace Alara where each wizard house is a three-color faction.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hasbro brands...

Looking forward to the monopoly and playskool crossover cards, the set that's nothing but two-sided artifact creatures (transformers), and the new tribes... Trolls, Hungry Hungry Hippos, Ponies, Furbies, and Pound Puppies.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Panzeh posted:

lol you have to be an idiot to think these cards we've seen so far are legacy playable

They are in the same way as Goblin Hero, you can sleeve them up in Legacy.

E: and I don't trust wotc to not gently caress it up.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Leperflesh posted:

Hungry Hungry Hippos

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Imagine seeing that wotc is printing tournament legal cards featuring 3rd party IPs in limited run products that aren't available in all territories, seeing they aren't that hot in eternal formats, and thinking that that's the end of it because the guys who had ouat, Oko, Uro, Companions, and Omnath in standard together won't mess up power level.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

the new tribes... Trolls, Hungry Hungry Hippos, Ponies, Furbies, and Pound Puppies.

that sounds bad rear end, actually

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
tarmogoyf but it gets +1/+1 for each unique licensed property in your graveyard

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

little munchkin posted:

TMogoyf?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Balon posted:

TMogoyf?

Lol

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Imagine seeing that wotc is printing tournament legal cards featuring 3rd party IPs in limited run products that aren't available in all territories, seeing they aren't that hot in eternal formats, and thinking that that's the end of it because the guys who had ouat, Oko, Uro, Companions, and Omnath in standard together won't mess up power level.

Not only that but even more dangerous than printing a broken card is printing a Secret Lair that looks crappy but turns out to be amazing because of a card released in the future. By the time you realize it's good you've missed your chance to buy in at a reasonable price and if the set sold like poo poo then the price of the good single could get ridiculous (like the $60 white border Tibalt).

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Leperflesh posted:

Hasbro brands...

Looking forward to the monopoly and playskool crossover cards, the set that's nothing but two-sided artifact creatures (transformers), and the new tribes... Trolls, Hungry Hungry Hippos, Ponies, Furbies, and Pound Puppies.

Weighing the integrity of the game against the allure of a Power Rangers set :thunk:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I would give my left but for legal Gi Joe cards.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Balon posted:

TMogoyf?

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Bring back double faced cards and vehicles for the inevitable MASK revival.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

HMS Beagle posted:

Bring back double faced cards and vehicles for the inevitable MASK revival.
Don't say it out loud, you'll jinx it

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Balon posted:

TMogoyf?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

fadam posted:

I would give my left but for legal Gi Joe cards.

The only thing is that no card can ever kill any other creature or player, it can HIT for damage, just never kill. Then and only then would it be true G.I. Joe.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Balon posted:

TMogoyf?

Rynder
Mar 26, 2009
I still can't believe the standard ban and the horrible walking dead stuff was announced at the same time. Either space out the blows by a week or two, or expand the ban if the announcement had to be simultaneous so we have a giveth / taketh away situation.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I mean I’m assuming WotC (or at least certain execs there) assumed the TWD Secret Lair announcement would be good and cushion the blow of the banning! Oops!

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Balon posted:

TMogoyf?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oeBNi_hycQ

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
I get it, the walking dead is a metaphor for mtg being bad

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Hey, if I'm packing fake boosters for a fake prerelease set, should I pack them like a normal booster or with equal color distribution like a mystery booster? It's for pauper cards so if I'm going to pack them according to 'rarity', well, I don't think I'm good enough at card evaluation to make up fake rarities for them.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

little munchkin posted:

Balon posted:

TMogoyf?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Framboise posted:

I would buy the Harry Potter secret lair if the cards were all properly-designed versions of Rowling's halfassed retcons (Black Hermione, gay Dumbledore, etc) and a new but officially canon trans character.

I would buy it if every character was trans and it caused Rowling to collapse into a screaming ball of rage and tears (well more than she is now anyway). What a miserable human she is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

DalaranJ posted:

Hey, if I'm packing fake boosters for a fake prerelease set, should I pack them like a normal booster or with equal color distribution like a mystery booster? It's for pauper cards so if I'm going to pack them according to 'rarity', well, I don't think I'm good enough at card evaluation to make up fake rarities for them.

Random colour distribution for sure, it'll make sealed and draft both a lot better. Sealed with even colour distribution makes it hard to know which colours to play, and draft with even colours means you know exactly what colour the person next to you just picked.