Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

hirschi!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Uphill bunch sprints are always cool

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Amstel Gold has been cancelled, as was expected

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013
Hirshi is the second youngest fleche wallone winner since ww2. the youngest was a certain lad named eddy merckx

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Man, Hirschi made that look easy.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Amstel Gold has been cancelled, as was expected

Quinn Simmons, also cancelled (more than he already was.)

https://twitter.com/TrekSegafredo/status/1311425530604982273

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 30, 2020

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

TobinHatesYou posted:

Quinn Simmons, also cancelled (more than he already was.)

https://twitter.com/TrekSegafredo/status/1311425530604982273

Dygert next

Edit: Also we should acknowledge ITT that Anna Van Der Breggan won fleche wallon for the 6th time in a row

Loving Africa Chaps fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 30, 2020

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

How someone from Durango ends up as a Trump anti-masker is behind me.

colonel tom
Mar 1, 2012

:hmmrona:

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Have you been to western Colorado? It’s not surprising.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

colonel tom posted:

Have you been to western Colorado? It’s not surprising.

:thejoke:

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Sepp :3:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

What did he say?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

nwin posted:

What did he say?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So he likes trump. I don’t see how trek decided to kick him out just based on that. Was there anything else?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

nwin posted:

So he likes trump. I don’t see how trek decided to kick him out just based on that. Was there anything else?

Notice the color of the emoji.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Ah.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

So? Lol twitter is garbage. Respond to a dumb histrionic tweet from a Belgian journalist and get in trouble IRL.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

African AIDS cum posted:

So? Lol twitter is garbage. Respond to a dumb histrionic tweet from a Belgian journalist and get in trouble IRL.

He said some lousy poo poo to Cory Williams earlier this year, and I’d bet a lot of money the team told him if he did it again there’d be some problems.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

nwin posted:

Liking Trump means he's a terrible person, HTH.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

cgfreak posted:

Hirshi is the second youngest fleche wallone winner since ww2. the youngest was a certain lad named eddy merckx

He's good imo. Not to claim to have liked him before he was cool but thought he got overlooked when he finished on the podium at San Sébastien 2019 when Evenopoel won

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

TobinHatesYou posted:

Gaslighting one of the most popular American cyclists who has rare, actual crossover marketing appeal by effectively telling him "there's no such thing as racism, you're just not good enough" probably didn't reflect well on ol' Quinn to the bike company who employs him to sell more bicycles.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
breaking, Tejay Van Garderen supports Howie Hawkins for POTUS.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Withnail posted:

breaking, Tejay Van Garderen supports Howie Hawkins for POTUS.

Who?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Bud Manstrong posted:

He said some lousy poo poo to Cory Williams earlier this year, and I’d bet a lot of money the team told him if he did it again there’d be some problems.

I know Cory's older bro Justin IRL and he's a super nice dude, but did this guy say something other than "you aren't fast enough" or whatever? I think more of the problem is he's a square peg for a round hole as a crit racer in a USA development program that develops climbers and TTers pretty much exclusively. They'd probably have both been better off racing kermesses for a couple years instead of doing the lovely USA pro circuit and crits

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

African AIDS cum posted:

I know Cory's older bro Justin IRL and he's a super nice dude, but did this guy say something other than "you aren't fast enough" or whatever? I think more of the problem is he's a square peg for a round hole as a crit racer in a USA development program that develops climbers and TTers pretty much exclusively. They'd probably have both been better off racing kermesses for a couple years instead of doing the lovely USA pro circuit and crits

Cory is an all-rounder who can unleash a monster sprint and ain't bad at climbing. He's like 64kg. He absolutely should have been fasttracked through the system.

You don't just go sliding into someone's DMs saying you aren't good enough, especially as a punk 19 year-old kid with no real palmares of your own. And in hindsight it sure looks like casual racism.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Yeah I dunno, Eric Marcotte was a dentist, didn't go pro until his late 20s and won the USA road race at 34. Then there is Roglic of course. Talent shines through. Those development programs burn out as many promising racers as they produce.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Hmm Eric's skin seems white and so does Roglic's?

Cory Williams is now 27 and he's clearly moved on to other, better things.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

African AIDS cum posted:

Quinn also made the comments to Cory at the peak of the George Floyd/BLM stuff over the summer when in direct response to posts about inclusiveness in cycling and being a black racer in America. So yeah Quinn can gently caress off

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

TobinHatesYou posted:

Plus, the majority of the pro cycling audience doesn't live in the US and while supporting Trump might be socially acceptable there, it's does out you as a racist right-wing extremist in the rest of the world.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
There’s no way fans abroad care about American pros, is there?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i like the american who randomly was signed by Movistar of all teams. He's from Boise which made me hope he was like, Basque-American or something but I'm virtually positive "Jorgenson" isn't a Basque name

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

African AIDS cum posted:

Next time you're chillin' with your pals the Williams brothers, tell them that Cory didn't make it on to the national team because he just wasn't good enough. Let us know how that works out. Saying "talent shines through" is ignorant of how the world works.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
yeah I dunno how you can say "talent shines through" when just looking at the pro peloton for five seconds demonstrates that's obviously bullshit

willemw
Sep 30, 2006
very much so

kimbo305 posted:

There’s no way fans abroad care about American pros, is there?

Sepp Kuss is pretty well liked

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They're just not that interesting if they're not doping.

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night
Issuing correction on previous posts of mine about the American cyclists Quinn Simmons and Chloe Dygert: you do not, under any circumstances, “gotta hand it to them”

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

VacaGrande posted:

Next time you're chillin' with your pals the Williams brothers, tell them that Cory didn't make it on to the national team because he just wasn't good enough. Let us know how that works out. Saying "talent shines through" is ignorant of how the world works.

Yeah he really missed out on a middling career as a domestique before retiring in his mid 20s to become a gravel racer like all the dross USA cycling turns out these days

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
regretting this as I’m typing it, but what did dygert do

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night
Nothing quite as egregious, but apparently has a bunch of MAGA follows/likes on Twitter

https://twitter.com/ScottTedro/status/1282856708021161985

https://twitter.com/RealCandaceO/status/1280124415204831235

https://twitter.com/RealCandaceO/status/1278481267844165636

Even in a Red Bull sponsor puff piece earlier this year, she is described as “a staunch conservative” who “doesn’t believe in feminism”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

African AIDS cum posted:

Yeah he really missed out on a middling career as a domestique before retiring in his mid 20s to become a gravel racer like all the dross USA cycling turns out these days

"his career would have been mediocre so systemic racism is fine"

cool