Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
WARNING: the op contains spoilers for To the Top Part 1 (I will change it whenever there's news about the next season)

It’s Fall Spring High, everybody! The last chance for our good Karasuno volleyboys to become national champions! At least with the current team.

A lot happened when we last left our heroes back in Winter 2020. Like Hinata grew one whole new brain cell!

Meanwhile Kageyama made a lot of good friends in Tokyo!

He’s fine now.

The rest of Karasuno were also doing their best to prepare for the Tournament. The third-years got some quality screen-time to show their bonds and determination.

Even Kiyoko got her episode!

Good for you, girl!

But will all the preparation help the team overcome their biggest challenge yet – changing the colour of the jerseys?

(seriously, this probably won’t be a problem in the anime but in the manga I constantly got confused what the hell was going on because of the change…)

Not to mention that Miya Atsumu looks like a tough cookie to beat. And total drama queen.

AND on top of all that Inarizaki’s cheering squad is apparently trained in subterfuge!? I really hope Karasuno’s fans can think of something at least as catchy as “Go, go, let’s go, let’s go, Datekou”, because if not, poo poo’ll get real y’all

Haikyuu!! To the Top season 2 will start airing on October 2 8:45pm CEST/11:45am PT at Crunchyroll and will have 12 episodes.
Because the manga has already ended, there’s probably no point in starting a separate thread for it, so I’ll allow manga talk here, provided it’s spoiler tagged and preceded by a warning. And no spoilers for what’s happening this season

macabresca fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I just binged the whole series in the past month and I am pretty invested in the Karasuno volleyboys hopefully winning this game and at least getting to play Nekoma. I don't know if that actually happens or not.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I keep forgetting at what point the anime left off on. It's just now getting to VS the Miya Twins??? Is "To the Top" going to be the last season (with split cours) or are they going to launch a final batch once this game is over to cover the rest of the manga?

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Afaik there weren't any announcements that to the top is the last one but there wasn't any talk about continuation yet either. We'll see! I think they're gonna adapt the whole thing though

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I got way into Haikyuu about 1.5-2 years ago. I keep going back to it, either to rewatch full episodes/seasons or specific moments via youtube clips. Even the most shameful form of entertainment, reaction videos, Haikyuu makes them enjoyable because EVERYBODY gets hype watching it. I'm ready.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Mons Hubris posted:

I just binged the whole series in the past month and I am pretty invested in the Karasuno volleyboys hopefully winning this game and at least getting to play Nekoma. I don't know if that actually happens or not.

Same let's win nationals boys 😤😤😤

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/Haikyu_EN/status/1312083698557345795?s=20

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Also just started this series, first sports series too! Very fun to watch so far.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
haikyuu is unironically really good and has a ton of symbolism in it that i adore.

the upcoming match is my favorite in the series as well so lets goooo

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I really like the callback at the end of this :3:
https://twitter.com/Haikyu_EN/status/1312101321718210562?s=20

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

OnimaruXLR posted:

I keep forgetting at what point the anime left off on. It's just now getting to VS the Miya Twins??? Is "To the Top" going to be the last season (with split cours) or are they going to launch a final batch once this game is over to cover the rest of the manga?

The most popular match in the manga (per one of the popularity polls, so take it with a grain of salt) is still yet to come so I'd be very, very shocked if they didn't continue on. Haikyuu is ludicrously popular, I don't really see it not being completed.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
All right, let's go!

Saeko is the awesomest :allears:

I'm glad they included a short recap of the match so far. Last season just kinda stopped so that was nice

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Rolling thunder going to gently caress them up next episode 😤😤😤

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

That Miya Atsumu sure is good, eh? Let's take a look at what he got done in this episode:

1 - Service ace on Nishinoya
2 - First touch set
3 - Perfect first step acknowledged by every setter watching, including Kageyama
4 - Oh, and he decided, on a whim, to replicate the greatest weapon in Karasuno's arsenal to end the episode

Our boys have a hell of a fight on their hands!

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I love that this wholesome show is back. I just started reading the manga this week because the first half of this season sort of just stopped in the middle of what seems like the start of an amazing arc.

I'm literally just caught up to where last season ended so I'm trying to decide should I plow ahead with the manga or wait and watch?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I know I'm way behind on this series but I just want to say watching this team come together in the beginning is super fun (episode 9).

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
New Haikyuu is giving me LIFE

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

KidDynamite posted:

I love that this wholesome show is back. I just started reading the manga this week because the first half of this season sort of just stopped in the middle of what seems like the start of an amazing arc.

I'm literally just caught up to where last season ended so I'm trying to decide should I plow ahead with the manga or wait and watch?

I'd watch the anime first. This match was very hard for me to read in the manga because not only Karasuno have different colours than usual, which constantly confused me, the Miya twins are hard to tell apart in black and white

That's just might be me and my utter inability to decipher action in any manga

Kingtheninja posted:

I know I'm way behind on this series but I just want to say watching this team come together in the beginning is super fun (episode 9).

Oh, you've just started? Have fun, then :D

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've been exclusively watching the anime because I think sports stuff is a lot easier to follow and engage with when you can see it in motion. I might as well have been reading it though, because I follow a bunch of hq fans and have had this arc and most of the manga following it thoroughly spoiled thanks to all the panel posting and reactions anytime a new chapter came out :v: (good fanart tho)

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I went ahead and read. Almost finished. Very glad I read because I don’t think my heart could handle Shoyo getting the fever animated.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Tadashi!!!

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Also, I hope the animation will improve next week because, well

https://twitter.com/DEATHyamasan/status/1314663001895571456

macabresca fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 9, 2020

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
This is probably my favorite match. Can't wait to see it all animated.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

With the unremarkable plays they leave out of the matches, it’s funny to me how it can feel like Karasuno is totally getting wrecked and then they flash over to the score and they’re only down 12-10 or something.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Geez, the drop in animation quality from earlier seasons is painful.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I heard this episode was outsourced. And they packed like 7 chapters into it? The first episode looked good so hopefully it's a one-off thing

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Since there is no manga thread, I'd like to post some symbolism that is present in this match that I like a lot. I'll try not to give away too many manga spoilers, so more intrepid folks can read, but if you care I think it's best to avoid.

Inarizaki is meant to represent "the better Karasuno" in my opinion, and this match is very much about Karasuno overcoming themselves, to some degree. The most obvious visual queue here is of course the uniforms, with Inarizaki wearing the black that we've come to associate Karasuno with so closely.

With the setters, we have Atsumu and Kageyama, who mirror one another very closely. Atsumu seems just one step ahead of Kageyama in everything, and there will be moments in this match where Kageyama needs to overcome his last mental hurdles to stay in it and compete to the very end (remember Atsumu's line about Kageyama being a "goody-two-shoes", well that will be put to the test in a major way).

This is also the match where we start to see real evolution for Hinata, as he begins to receive, which is the next major arc for his personal growth. Realizing that spiking isn't all there is to volleyball, and he goes from a sharp sword to a more general all-rounder, throwing Washijou's words back at him more and more, becoming a more complete human being (and more directly setting up his rivalry, of course, with Hoshiumi).

There is also the partnership aspect - there is a direct, meaningful battle going on right now between Kageyama/Hinata and the Miya Twins. The latter are literal brothers, can the former hope to compete with only a years worth of playing together?

Ultimately I think the questions this match intends to answer are: "Has Karasuno truly become the greatest challenger?" and, more individually, "Has Kageyama fully ascended into his new role as the King of the Court?"

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
That's an interesting reading!

Tbh I didn't like this match very much when I got to it in the manga. I thought that Inarizaki didn't represent anything new, they were just some super tough guys to beat. I thought the match was lacking emotional stakes, other than 'we have to win because it's our last chance.' But the way you framed it makes a lot of sense and now I feel kinda dumb for not seeing it earlier :sweatdrop: Watching this season with that in mind should be entertaining, even if I still prefer other matches.

Also, the new eye-catchers are cute I guess, but I really miss the old ones.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

macabresca posted:

That's an interesting reading!

Tbh I didn't like this match very much when I got to it in the manga. I thought that Inarizaki didn't represent anything new, they were just some super tough guys to beat. I thought the match was lacking emotional stakes, other than 'we have to win because it's our last chance.' But the way you framed it makes a lot of sense and now I feel kinda dumb for not seeing it earlier :sweatdrop: Watching this season with that in mind should be entertaining, even if I still prefer other matches.

Also, the new eye-catchers are cute I guess, but I really miss the old ones.

I'm glad you thought it interesting!

MAJOR manga spoilers in this block:

I read the Kamomedai match as the "what Karasuno ought to be" matchup in many ways. There are a lot of wrap ups to storylines mid match, like how Tsuki finally works well with Hinata at the same time he acknowledges his brother in the audience with the Little Giant (and even gives him a thumbs up!) getting past the embarassment felt long ago which is a great character moment, and the stories emphasis on "consistent, well-rounded effort is really put into focus. I can't wait till we eventually get there, it's my second favorite match definitely.

The Nekoma one in between I don't have any real read on, definitely feel it's just a great ol shonen rival story.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Just finished the first season. I kind of saw the end result coming but it's still so much fun. Starting the next season today, on to Tokyo!

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
TANAKA

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Haikyuu looks good again!

Bullbar posted:

Tadashi!!!

I love that first posts after each new episode so far are just names :lol:

Kingtheninja posted:

Just finished the first season. I kind of saw the end result coming but it's still so much fun. Starting the next season today, on to Tokyo!

There were some very fun characters introduced in that arc iirc. And I really liked the end of the first season. So many series I've seen lately have protagonists overcoming all the obstacles without much of a hassle but it's so important to see them fail

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Up 1-0 during after a round Tanaka was having a rough time this is about to be pure domination lmfao someone start the twins bus already

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
This is the best loving show. God I love watching it so much and never want it to end

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

tbp posted:

That Miya Atsumu sure is good, eh? Let's take a look at what he got done in this episode:

1 - Service ace on Nishinoya
2 - First touch set
3 - Perfect first step acknowledged by every setter watching, including Kageyama
4 - Oh, and he decided, on a whim, to replicate the greatest weapon in Karasuno's arsenal to end the episode

Our boys have a hell of a fight on their hands!

Atsumu is tough competition for me with Bokuto for favorite non-Karasuno character in the series.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I just binged through the start of to the top this week. Good sports anime.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

About to start the October tournament and I am PUMPED!

Also I'm nearing the end of what Netflix has available, what platforms can I keep watching on (any dub chances? It's kind of grown on me)?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kingtheninja posted:

About to start the October tournament and I am PUMPED!

Also I'm nearing the end of what Netflix has available, what platforms can I keep watching on (any dub chances? It's kind of grown on me)?

I don't know how much of it Netflix has but CR has everything up to the current season (subs only) and Hidive has the Season 2 and 3 dubs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Netflix has the first 50 episodes I think, so looks like I'll be going to CR after that.