Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
This JUST came out and its real good and I gotta talk about it with somebody

https://soundcloud.com/neilcic/mouthdreams

It starts real slow but just stick with it and it gets amazing :allears:

If you don't know who NeilC is, yes you do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygI-2F8ApUM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tdyU_gW6WE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Just finished it. Probably his weakest effort so far, or maybe just least organized. It felt like there wasn't much of a clear story or vision for most of these tracks.

Highlights were Psycho Killer/Super Freak and Everybody Wants to Rule the Ribs. I would have liked to see him go full-on original with that Come On Get Happy beat because what he was putting under the main song was slapping pretty hard.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I don't think it slaps as much as Mouth Sounds but he tries some more wildly weird things here, and I can't fault him for that, even if it means the beat is sometimes wonky.

I'm laughing pretty hard :haw:

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I'd say Mouth Moods > Mouth Silence > Mouth Sounds > Mouth Dreams for me.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Just a baby... drinking coffee

Nothing quite reaches Bustin' or Wow Wow levels but overall it was pretty nice except for the assassination of Feel Good Inc. by Pee Wee Herman.

I also liked that he made Fireflies listenable

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 1, 2020

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
It's very good OP

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I think Sleeping with my clothes on was my favorite, or Hoobastank Cash

Beautiful Ribs was a good one
Limp Sledgehammer, good stuff
THX Drives me Crazy

When the moon hits your big pizza pie like your eye, that's Amoreeeeee ~

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I think songs like Bustin are funny but I'm WAY into the remix/mashup genre in general - I have downloaded like 40 hours of Radio 1 Essential mixes and poo poo like Girl Talk, and I think some of these songs are really cool. Not any really funny or mindblowing ones yet, but Shot A Man In Reno was REALLY good as a song

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
doesn't reach the heights of his other releases but probably his most consistently funny and enjoyable

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
The Closer/Fireflies hit had me laughing more than any other song. Nothing else ever subverted my expectations that hard, I guess.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

AHH F/UGH posted:

Just finished it. Probably his weakest effort so far, or maybe just least organized. It felt like there wasn't much of a clear story or vision for most of these tracks.

Highlights were Psycho Killer/Super Freak and Everybody Wants to Rule the Ribs. I would have liked to see him go full-on original with that Come On Get Happy beat because what he was putting under the main song was slapping pretty hard.

The track progression is about the dreaming process; it starts off with surface level references (Spongebob, Baby Back Ribs), becomes increasingly nightmarish, takes a turn for the bizarre and clowny, then you wake up and are faced with the overwhelming waking world.

Going to be the dissenting voice here and say that this is my favorite album yet. I want to listen to like every other track in this one. It helps that he used a ton of songs I like. You could say it's not as funny as the previous ones, but in return there are a lot of songs that are just straight-up fantastic musically, and I'll take that tradeoff any day.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 1, 2020

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Pigbuster posted:

Going to be the dissenting voice here and say that this is my favorite album yet. I want to listen to like every other track in this one. It helps that he used a ton of songs I like.

Yeah this is the one that most resembles music. I like a lot of his songs but wouldn't like, download an MP3 of Bustin so I could listen to it in the car or anything, but these come much closer. And yeah, same here, I really like a lot of the base songs. I JUST hit Everlong, a great song, and Everybody Wants to Rule the World was a really good one too

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I do like it a whole lot, I laughed the whole way through.

If I have to be critical, there's two things for me that kinda stick out.

One is that a lot of the tracks are just a mix of two songs, A/B, where a lot of my favorite NeilC mixes are things like Who or Annoyed Grunt where there's a dozen different sources being blended together.
Spice Waluigi was funny but felt like it could have been taken further.

The second is that there felt like a lot of classical or otherwise old or public domain songs, each of which is pretty cool but together kinda took something out of the energy of the album.

Say it aint so vs Hall of the mountain King
Britney vs Beethoven
Feel Good vs Pee-Wee Blue Ball machine
White Stripes vs Powerhouse (that assembly line song from Looney Toones)

But I did enjoy these, they're well done. But like I said earlier, some of this stuff just felt less like rocking tunes and more experiments in mashups which is cool too

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

He mashed up Baby Back Ribs with Marilyn Manson, guys.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I liked it a lot and I am so disappointed I didn't know I needed an album that was just mixes of modern songs over classical music now.

Cannibals, though. That song was just a mood that describes a sci-fi genre I'm not familiar with that I want to work in.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I think that the individual tracks are all towards the lower end of Neil's output

But the theming and the overall concept for the album is fantastic

Bustin is kind of a lead in for the album, isn't it?

e: did Moods have all of the super deep cut easter eggs that Silence did?

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Just a Baby is a masterpiece; Folsom Prison Blues overlaid with Hoobastank??? Hell yeah

Ribs is incredible, Nightmovin' is incredible. Ain't is surprisingly good too. Surprised myself by how much I went back and listened to the tracks.

Moods really didn't have a lot of substance either, even though Bustin and Wow Wow are incredible. A lot of the tracks were goofy and he really went all in with Barenaked Ladies like what, three times? Still loved it.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

"Just a Baby" is absolutely up there with his best.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Just A Baby is actually a better version of all of the original songs

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

you know how trent reznor talked about Hurt belonging to Johnny Cash now - I think David Byrne can easily say that about Psycho Killer and Neil now

Two Tone Shoes posted:

He mashed up Baby Back Ribs with Marilyn Manson, guys.

holy poo poo, the layers

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

fatherboxx posted:

holy poo poo, the layers

doesn't it come off the mashup with an MC Hammer track too?

i did NOT appreciate the Aerosmith/Foo Fighters mix being cut off early :colbert:

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Sockser posted:

e: did Moods have all of the super deep cut easter eggs that Silence did?

There seems to be a few, there's a least a quiet "wake up!" from Chop Suey by System of a Down after one of the songs. There's been Easter eggs in every album, even the first one was dated to have been released on the day the album/single for All Star came out. They've just been getting more and more obscure

I'll have to give it a few more listens after downloading the individual tracks, as I've just finished listening to the album straight from the web browser on the website.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

LashLightning posted:

There seems to be a few, there's a least a quiet "wake up!" from Chop Suey by System of a Down after one of the songs. There's been Easter eggs in every album, even the first one was dated to have been released on the day the album/single for All Star came out. They've just been getting more and more obscure

I'll have to give it a few more listens after downloading the individual tracks, as I've just finished listening to the album straight from the web browser on the website.

https://twitter.com/bucket_toast/status/1311491119503597568

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

oh hell yeah

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I love the Mouth series because they sound like going insane

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

It's an old man
in your chardonnay

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

THE OUTSIDERS

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

It's about being woken up in the middle of the night by your stupid baby.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

a new study bible! posted:

It's about being woken up in the middle of the night by your stupid baby.

If that baby was a car, I bet it'd be a stupid car

Feebus Reloaded
Jul 28, 2016

THIS WAS AJUDGED TO BOTH COMMIT TO AND VIOLATE A SACRED POSTIN OATH

Good lord. That loving ending. :aaa:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

When I was just a baby
My momma told me son
Always be a baby
Don't ever be a gun

But I shot a man in Reno
Just to watch him die
I hang my head and cry

When I was just a baby
When I was just a boy
I shot a man in Reno
I was just a baby boy

I hear the train a comin'
I hear that railroad train
Its probably a good train
My momma was a train

But I'm stuck in baby prison,
I know I can't be free

When I was just a baby
When I was just a train
I shot a traaaaaaaaaain

I'm probably drinking coffee
Just a baby drinking coffee
Always drinking coffee and smoking big cigars

Well if they freed me from this prison
Well if I was a car
I bet I'd be a good car
And that's what tortures me

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Hostile V posted:

Cannibals, though. That song was just a mood that describes a sci-fi genre I'm not familiar with that I want to work in.

I feel like he gets one of those weird, haunting, but also funny mashups once per album. Moods had T.I.M.E. Silence had Love Psych. Sounds had Tears in Chocolate Rain.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 1, 2020

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The rick roll was perfectly executed :golfclap:

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

SCheeseman posted:

The rick roll was perfectly executed :golfclap:

(boooooooo. boooo)

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

When I was just a baby
My momma told me son
Always be a baby
Don't ever be a gun

But I shot a man in Reno
Just to watch him die
I hang my head and cry

When I was just a baby
When I was just a boy
I shot a man in Reno
I was just a baby boy

My momma was a train

I know I can't be free

When I was just a baby
When I was just a train
I shot a traaaaaaaaaain

Well if I was a car
I bet I'd be a good car

This is by far my favorite track from the album.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Zaphod42 posted:

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
When You've had to much wine, that's amooorreeeee

Bells

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
There are some real moments I enjoy on this where he's not really trying to be funny. The extro with the backstreet boys sample is really well done, he's added some nice synth touches there.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Isomermaid posted:

There are some real moments I enjoy on this where he's not really trying to be funny. The extro with the backstreet boys sample is really well done, he's added some nice synth touches there.

The Backstreet Boys sample is pretty double clever. Obviously they're relevant to the Smash Mouth reference because they're mentioned in the song, but the fact that the backstreet boys have a song where the lyrics are "Cover me with dreams, love me mouth to mouth" is so hilariously fitting for the Mouth series and this one being about Dreams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

When I was just a baby
My momma told me son
Always be a baby
Don't ever be a gun

But I shot a man in Reno
Just to watch him die
I hang my head and cry

When I was just a baby
When I was just a boy
I shot a man in Reno
I was just a baby boy

My momma was a train

I know I can't be free
I hang my head and pee

When I was just a baby
When I was just a train
I shot a traaaaaaaaaain
But that train was just a car

Well if I was a car
I bet I'd be a good car

You missed a couple lines

Cannibals is like lifting the veil and seeing the world behind the world, all desperate revelations

E: to paraphrase a youtube comment, Pee Wee Inc is what you'd think Insane Clown Posse would sound like if you'd never heard of Insane Clown Posse

Phy fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 4, 2020