Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

Considering the first Rambo movie has him fighting cops it's really sad how quickly the series became a reactionary fantasy.

My theory with Stallone, and this is based on zero evidence, but it's always been that he made a very clear decision after Staying Alive(which he directed) was ripped apart by critics, and then a year later Rhinestone(which he wrote and starred in) was a complete embarrassment and a flop.

So those were 1983 and 1984, and Stallone quickly pivots to making Rambo II, Rocky IV, and Cobra in 85 and 86. So he was just like "gently caress being a thoughtful writer or being discerning about taking interesting roles, I'm gonna be a huge action star", and he never looked back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Snowman_McK posted:

That is a weird thing. And the film isn't interested in why he'd do this. There's honestly a way better take on the phenomenon of soldiers recreating the warzone at home in the Punisher TV show.

It's also so they can be very lazy with geography. At any given point, if the audience asks "Where is everyone in relation to everyone else?" the answer is always 'somewhere in the tunnels' and the film doesn't have to or indeed can't be more specific than that.

The tunnels are so prominent, so extensive, and so frequently mentioned is hilarious especially because I don't think Rambo ever really mentioned or talks about them in relation to Vietnam in the previous four movies, like he doesn't have a big traumatic story involving being a tunnel rat or anything. So I guess when he was doing all of that bow fishing on the Burmese border in the 4th movie, he was just sitting around on that boat thinking about how his real goal was to move back to the US and spend tens of thousands of dollars on materials and construction equipment to excavate an extensive and elaborate tunnel network under a farm.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Anyone seen Ava?

I thought it was a pretty good assassin movie that I'd never heard of. Good cast too.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Pillowpants posted:

Anyone seen Ava?

I thought it was a pretty good assassin movie that I'd never heard of. Good cast too.
It's a low energy drama about an alcoholic that comes back home to pick up the pieces after her father dies. Only, instead of having 20% of the movie be about her falling in love with a guy she hated in high school, that 20% is badly directed action scenes layered with a nonsensical "the organization" / triple-cross plot.

I did not like it at all.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y02_e8n8ENo

Well this should be something

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Tezcatlipoca posted:

It's a right wing power fantasy of an old white guy murdering a bunch of brown foreigners. It is fairly easy to see.

this is a much better description than mine.

more content: I think first blood is brilliant and if you haven't seen it, do. also, lyrics to the main theme: https://youtu.be/8DD0mzPhVSU

PlaneGuy fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 29, 2020

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Tezcatlipoca posted:

It's a right wing power fantasy of an old white guy murdering a bunch of brown foreigners. It is fairly easy to see.

I can see that, yeah, sure, but when I was watching it, I was just seeing Rambo slaughter a bunch of bad dudes. I think that yours is very legitimate and probably more valuable reading, but, like I said, I engage with genre movies in a very just-want-to-be-entertained way.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

PlaneGuy posted:

this is a much better description than mine.

more content: I think first blood is brilliant and if you haven't seen it, do. also, lyrics to the main theme: https://youtu.be/8DD0mzPhVSU

First Blood is a genuinely terrific movie that isn't anything like the zeitgeist conception of Rambo. The series gets less nuanced and less interesting as it goes on. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure they're 90 percent responsible for the two best far cry games, so swings and roundabouts and all that.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

First Blood is a genuinely terrific movie that isn't anything like the zeitgeist conception of Rambo. The series gets less nuanced and less interesting as it goes on. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure they're 90 percent responsible for the two best far cry games, so swings and roundabouts and all that.

Yeah, it is extremely good. I saw it well after I saw First Blood Part 2, so I was not prepared for it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y02_e8n8ENo

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

This is either going to be insightful and surprising, or a cringe-fest, with Scott looking increasingly concerned as Seagal goes off the rails.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

null_pointer posted:

This is either going to be insightful and surprising, or a cringe-fest, with Scott looking increasingly concerned as Seagal goes off the rails.

The ideal scenario would be if Scott lets Seagal talk about the action/etc. in whatever terms he wants and then in then at the end is like "Steven this is very interesting but do you have anything to say about how you're a teenager grooming, human trafficking piece of poo poo?" and then just completely mercilessly kicks the living poo poo out of Seagal for like ten minutes straight as the "like and subscribe" and YouTube recommends stuff is flashing.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Popelmon posted:

I really liked Butler in Den of Thieves. That movie is just straight up “Monster Energy presents Heat “ and I love every second of it.

I recently watched this and had to laugh when the response to a bloodless bank robbery is to have a pitched firefight in the middle of a traffic jam, using citizen's cars as cover.

It's one of those "is the movie promoting or decrying police violence?" moments.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Action Movie Streaming Update, October

Prime: Blind Fury, Force of Nature, Gemini Man, Transporter Refueled (10/6)
Netflix: Real Steel, Ghost Rider, The Outpost
Hulu: Blade 1-3, Mad Max 3, Terminator 6 Dark Fate (10/9)
Tubi: White House Down, Sin City, Kickboxer 1-5
HBO Max: Chronicles of Riddick, Cradle 2 the Grave, Enter the Dragon, Eraser, Lethal Weapon 1-4, The Matrix 1-3

Boco_T fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 30, 2020

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Man, Real Steel is actually great. I was just thinking it would be a goofy kind of kids movie, but it's honestly really good.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Hard Target is on TV and I've never seen a Van Damme. In the first 6 minutes there's been a dramatic point blank shotgun to the head, a Max Payne-esque sideways shooting leap and he just jump kicked a guy off a motorcycle. The hair is ridiculous though. Why is it so wet looking?

Oh and I definitely noticed that the first two big dramatic deaths are a black man and then a black policewoman.

He just punched a rattlesnake unconscious.

Helicopter v Horse.

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 30, 2020

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Van Damme + John Woo = entertainment

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Yeah that was really quite fun. I don't think he threw a punch the entire film, just kicked and shotgunned his way through every problem. The only Woo I'd seen before this are Face/Off, MI2 and Paycheck (and Hostage, the BMW short).

I couldn't tell if Van Damme was doing the Schwarzenegger thing of everyone pretending he's American despite the accent or not. If there was a line that explained it I missed it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
He's (supposed to be) Cajun.

Also, see The Killer and Hard Boiled immediately. You are missing out on some absolutely insane premium-grade Heroic Bloodshed.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Hard Target screened, completely uncut for whatever reason, on New Zealand television when I was about 8. I was not ready. I was convinced it was the best film ever made for about a year. I'm still not completely unconvinced. It also contains the two silliest, most over the top deaths in John Woo's long career of killing people in ridiculous, over the top ways.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

If you like Van Damme, Bloodsport is essential. Kickboxer and Lionheart are fun too.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Van Damme Top Ten :

1. Sudden Death
2. Bloodsport
3. Hard Target
4. Cyborg
5. Lionheart
6. Kickboxer
7. Timecop
8. Universal Soldier
9. Double Impact
10. Nowhere to Run

1988 to 1993 was absolutely stacked. It's amazing how over he was until Street Fighter. Looking at IMDB Frank Dux wrote The Quest? What the gently caress.

midge fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 1, 2020

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

midge posted:

1988 to 1993 was absolutely stacked. It's amazing how over he was until Street Fighter. Looking at IMDB Frank Dux wrote The Quest? What the gently caress.

That film actually eventually resulted in a law suit. Dux is fantastically insane.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
JCVD talk making me want to link to the legit best video on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw-tceWOL8c

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Snowman_McK posted:

That film actually eventually resulted in a law suit. Dux is fantastically insane.

Wasn't it some weirdness where originally he was going to have a roll in Bloodsport but didn't so they did The Quest to do that but for reasons he wasn't in it and that was why he sued? And then during discovery it turned out all of his awards were fake and the were mailed to his home from his home or something?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

Wasn't it some weirdness where originally he was going to have a roll in Bloodsport but didn't so they did The Quest to do that but for reasons he wasn't in it and that was why he sued? And then during discovery it turned out all of his awards were fake and the were mailed to his home from his home or something?

Iirc the trophies were from a shop in his town where he had them comissioned.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Boco_T posted:

Thought for sure you were going to post one of the vids of his sweet dance moves..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE8XKeN0zk4

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I was only 11 when The Quest came out but even then I immediately realized watching the trailer it was just Bloodsport again.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Boco_T posted:

Awesome. Love how there are more from other movies, too.

Edit: Also,

Lobok fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 1, 2020

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Lurdiak posted:

I was only 11 when The Quest came out but even then I immediately realized watching the trailer it was just Bloodsport again.

There are parts of The Quest that are pretty great but holy moly there are SO many parts that are not great. When I rewatched it for the first time after many years, I had so many "Wait, this happened in the movie" moments.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

When I was a kid I saw American Samurai, which was about some sort of fighting tournament. I remember one person had a blade attached to the end of their ponytail, which they would swing around and slash people with.

Anybody else see that movie? Was it any good, or was it bad?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

If you like Van Damme, Bloodsport is essential. Kickboxer and Lionheart are fun too.

midge posted:

Van Damme Top Ten :

1. Sudden Death
2. Bloodsport
3. Hard Target
4. Cyborg
5. Lionheart
6. Kickboxer
7. Timecop
8. Universal Soldier
9. Double Impact
10. Nowhere to Run
Oh they're on the list. If anyone's itt hasn't seen Hard Target I forgot to mention that it also has Wilford Brimley slinging arrows.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Narzack posted:

Man, Real Steel is actually great. I was just thinking it would be a goofy kind of kids movie, but it's honestly really good.

I watched it one afternoon because robots and genuinely enjoyed it! I'll always step up to bat for what is essentially a great film. It doesn't commit any awful faux pas, the kid isn't annoying in it, Jackman is entertaining as a scumbag rear end in a top hat with a heart and the whole Atom underdog thing is a little contrived but ultimately cute. Can't hate it at all.

Last night I watched Ip Man 4, it was pretty cheesy in spots and I'm wondering if the translation was weirdly simplified and cheesed up. The dude playing Bruce Lee had some moves on him and Adkins playing the prick racist scumbag gunnery sergeant with a bad accent was pretty decent. The scene where he rolls into the Chinese benevolent HQ and just handed all the masters their asses within 30 seconds was pretty funny. Good film, bit lengthy though at nearly 2 hours but the fight scenes were pretty great. Also watching it made me realise just how wasted Donnie Yen was in Blade 2...

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
For the posters who are just starting their Van Damme journey - don't be fooled by one version of the box artwork for J.C.V.D

It's an absolutely amazing film (seriously), but it's NOT an action movie. For some reason the cover on my DVD copy has a generic straight-to-DVD cover complete with giant floating Van Damme head and some building exploding.

Also, don't watch it unless you're a serious Van Damme fan who grew up with his movies and knows his history of being a bit batshit because that movie really does tear JC open for all to see.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
There is also a surprisingly good show on Amazon called Jean Claude Van Johnson that I would recommend. I was super bummed that it only had one season

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

B-Rock452 posted:

There is also a surprisingly good show on Amazon called Jean Claude Van Johnson that I would recommend. I was super bummed that it only had one season

For years I assumed JCVD had no sense of humour whatsoever and man, this show was a right treat and proved me very wrong. It deserved to run for a few seasons at least.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

B-Rock452 posted:

Oh man I remember seeing the pilot episode a few years before during their pilot program (I think that was amongst the first of those?). I remember really liking it but didn't even know it got a full season. I'll add it to the Damme List.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

midge posted:

Van Damme Top Ten :

1. Sudden Death
2. Bloodsport
3. Hard Target
4. Cyborg
5. Lionheart
6. Kickboxer
7. Timecop
8. Universal Soldier
9. Double Impact
10. Nowhere to Run

how can you leave out universal solider: regeneration and day of reckoning

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
I would probably have In Hell in the top 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I can't believe someone would rate Cyborg that highly.