Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veggiebacon
Jul 14, 2015

I'm very curious about why they need to know number of sexual partners, and why just his? But I also don't know much about reproductive endocrinology, so...

Got my carrier results back, turns out I'm a carrier for Wilson's disease. Most people are carriers for something and there's a low chance of my partner also being a carrier, but he's going to get tested too just in case. Figure we're planning ahead, might as well gather all the information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?

veggiebacon posted:

Got my carrier results back, turns out I'm a carrier for Wilson's disease. Most people are carriers for something and there's a low chance of my partner also being a carrier, but he's going to get tested too just in case. Figure we're planning ahead, might as well gather all the information.

I found out I’m a carrier for CF—my husband got tested and he’s not so we’re good to go, but I’m thankful I opted for the genetic testing, my tendency to pass out during blood draws aside.

veggiebacon
Jul 14, 2015

I'm glad he's not a carrier! That's gotta be a relief. I wish more doctors would bring up carrier testing with their patients, particularly BEFORE pregnancy. Most people I know who have had it were only offered it after they were pregnant.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

veggiebacon posted:

I'm very curious about why they need to know number of sexual partners, and why just his? But I also don't know much about reproductive endocrinology, so...

Yeah, I don't really know. It's on the list of things to ask (unless I get lucky this last cycle before the appointment).

We haven't done any carrier testing yet, although my last gyno did offer. Neither of us have a family history (at least of anything they can screen for), and we're not in one of the high risk groups for most things, so we didn't see the need to worry about it. Apparently people of italian ancestry are at high risk for beta thalassemia though, or maybe it was alpha. I hadn't actually heard of it before filling out the health questionnaire for the endocrinologist.

It does make sense to have him tested since you're a carrier, even if the chance is low. Good luck!

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."

Emily Spinach posted:

Yeah, I don't really know. It's on the list of things to ask (unless I get lucky this last cycle before the appointment).

We haven't done any carrier testing yet, although my last gyno did offer. Neither of us have a family history (at least of anything they can screen for), and we're not in one of the high risk groups for most things, so we didn't see the need to worry about it. Apparently people of italian ancestry are at high risk for beta thalassemia though, or maybe it was alpha. I hadn't actually heard of it before filling out the health questionnaire for the endocrinologist.

It does make sense to have him tested since you're a carrier, even if the chance is low. Good luck!

It is beta, and thanks! Now I know I need to ask about that and other carrier testing too (when we eventually see the doctor...)

We had an odd week. The (text message) results of my wife's last blood test said she was showing signs similar to PCOS. Followups with the clinic said we don't need to see the doctor until after our next g two cycles, and only if we don't fall pregnant during them. That's odd, right??

And my test results all showed I was above the WHO definition of 'normal', so I guess that's fine? Again, no need to see the doctor to discuss these results as well...

Next round of blood tests started today, and we're getting right to it apparently, even though my wife's cycle says it's not quite time yet...

veggiebacon
Jul 14, 2015

They gave you that result in a text?? I'm sorry you two are dealing with that and with getting that information that way.

For the conditions on carrier screening, I think most people don't actually have a family history until there is a baby with the condition. If you have questions your doctor can't answer or if you want to talk about more in depth testing than just the main 3, you can ask to see a genetic counselor. I think it's helpful.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Does anyone have a recommendation for a prenatal vitamin with a non-fish source of dha? Been taking the naturemade prenatal multi+dha, but the past few bottles I've had, one or two softgels have leaked and the whole thing has ended up smelling like a lake.

Going to ask in the pregnancy thread too so don't feel like you're going crazy if you see it twice.

veggiebacon
Jul 14, 2015

I just ordered Solaray prenatal vitamins. It seems pretty similar to others but is vegan. Although apparently they also have a funky smell/taste, so we'll see.

Edit: got the new vitamins. They definitely smell wonky in the bottle. But I took them with some lemonade and dinner and didn't notice the taste or anything.

veggiebacon fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 18, 2020

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Welp, those of you who read the pregnancy thread may know I had a very, very brief pregnancy that I lost last week. It sucked. Still, to look for the silver lining, at least know we can get pregnant. We had our new patient appointment with the reproductive endocrinologist today and he said the same thing. I'll be having blood drawn and scheduled for an SIS once my next period starts and my husband gets to jack off into a cup. We'll be doing the carrier analysis when I get my blood drawn--he'll get tested if anything comes up positive for me.

I forgot to ask about the multiple partners thing. Oh well.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

I'm really sorry for your loss, Emily. Hope all the testing comes back clean and that you get your good news soon.

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
Oh that's horrible :(

Hopefully it's allgood news from here on out

veggiebacon
Jul 14, 2015

I'm sorry to hear that, Emily. Hopefully REI will help!

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I've been avoiding these threads for awhile because it's just too frustrating but I finally have some decent-ish news. My wife and I have been trying for about 3 years, with 5 failed IUI cycles and just did our first FET. Happy to say things are going well and her two beta HCG tests look very good (so good when the gal called with the results she made a joke about twins, gently caress). First ultrasound is later this week so hopefully I can relax a little after that. I think the hardest part of the last few years is just not knowing. My wife and I constantly agree on one thing - we are fine not having kids but we'd just like to know either way so we can start planning for the future. Fertility problems are the weirdest form of purgatory.

Anyways I'm happy to answer any questions about the IUI/IVF/FET process.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

TheManWithNoName posted:

I've been avoiding these threads for awhile because it's just too frustrating but I finally have some decent-ish news. My wife and I have been trying for about 3 years, with 5 failed IUI cycles and just did our first FET. Happy to say things are going well and her two beta HCG tests look very good (so good when the gal called with the results she made a joke about twins, gently caress). First ultrasound is later this week so hopefully I can relax a little after that. I think the hardest part of the last few years is just not knowing. My wife and I constantly agree on one thing - we are fine not having kids but we'd just like to know either way so we can start planning for the future. Fertility problems are the weirdest form of purgatory.

Anyways I'm happy to answer any questions about the IUI/IVF/FET process.

I realize this was over a week ago (so fifty years in 2020 time) but congrats! I hope the first ultrasound went well. Agreed re the purgatory; having to wait for my cycle each month has almost been the worst part of this.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Emily Spinach posted:

I realize this was over a week ago (so fifty years in 2020 time) but congrats! I hope the first ultrasound went well. Agreed re the purgatory; having to wait for my cycle each month has almost been the worst part of this.

I wish I had better news but unfortunately my wife had a miscarriage a few days before the ultrasound. Our doc isn’t really sure why since it was a healthy embryo and all the numbers had been good up until that point. It’s been really rough but we are trying to look at the silver lining of knowing she can get pregnant, we’ve never made it that far.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

TheManWithNoName posted:

I wish I had better news but unfortunately my wife had a miscarriage a few days before the ultrasound. Our doc isn’t really sure why since it was a healthy embryo and all the numbers had been good up until that point. It’s been really rough but we are trying to look at the silver lining of knowing she can get pregnant, we’ve never made it that far.

Ah poo poo, I'm so sorry. :(

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Double posting (I guess?), but I had my day 3 labs and baseline ultrasound today. They said they were going to draw 4-5 vials of blood but it ended up being 7 with the draw for the genetic carrier screening. The woman doing the draw was impressively efficient though--A++ would have her steal my life essence again. They said I should have results in the next few days, although I assume the holiday and general pandemic delays will push that back.

Next week I've got the SIS. They've said to take some ibuprofen an hour beforehand to deal with the pain, but has anyone had one? Is the discomfort mostly from the catheter they use to shoot you up with saline or does the saline getting all up in there also hurt?

Emily Spinach fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 25, 2020

veggiebacon
Jul 14, 2015

Getting my birth control removed next week! I've been on birth control since I was 18, so I have zero clue what my cycle will be like. Going to try to be patient and not fixate, but we'll see how that goes.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The missus met with a friend in December and wound up discussing “can’t have baby” issues, turns out the friend and her husband had faced similar and could recommend a clinic locally. So we’re booked for a first visit and round of testing for both of us on Saturday. I’ve been tasked to go pick up a sample cup from there to prepare ahead of time :v:

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Oh man, sending hugs to everyone with recent losses. That's awful.

Just wanted to put a note out there for y'all that secondary infertility is a thing. I had no idea - I popped hot on a pregnancy test within 30 days of going of the pill in 2016 (at age 31), but we've been trying for 2.5 years of escalating forms of intervention, with no luck yet. First round of IVF was last month, waiting for results. Thank god we live in a place where ultrasounds, prescription meds, IUI, and IVF treatment are quality and also cheap af. This poo poo sucks, and it's made me feel even worse about myself, that I'm defective or something.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Good luck to all you nerds. I'm supposed to start IUI next cycle, period due on Saturday, but I also just had a (very faint) positive pregnancy test. I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch, so to speak, but it also figures if I'm going to have a pregnancy that sticks without intervention it would be right before starting treatment.

veggiebacon
Jul 14, 2015

Fingers crossed for you!

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

Emily Spinach posted:

Good luck to all you nerds. I'm supposed to start IUI next cycle, period due on Saturday, but I also just had a (very faint) positive pregnancy test. I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch, so to speak, but it also figures if I'm going to have a pregnancy that sticks without intervention it would be right before starting treatment.

This very same thing happened to me and he is almost 10 now. Fingers crossed for you <3

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Went through the battery of tests at the clinic, my wife three different times due to the wonders of the menstrual cycle timing, and the first notice we’ve gotten something was abnormal is related to her PRL hormone levels. The blood test flagged her as having the PRL levels seen in a second-trimester pregnancy! So step one is medicine to try and lower those.

I’m guessing it’s related to stress, because none of the other common factors are relevant. We’ll see! There’s one more test scheduled for another week or so.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Thank you both, I'm a little cautious since I had a chemical pregnancy back in October but feeling optimistic. I'm waiting until after my period is officially late to call the doctor though. Also peeing on a stick every day lol.

harperdc posted:

Went through the battery of tests at the clinic, my wife three different times due to the wonders of the menstrual cycle timing, and the first notice we’ve gotten something was abnormal is related to her PRL hormone levels. The blood test flagged her as having the PRL levels seen in a second-trimester pregnancy! So step one is medicine to try and lower those.

I’m guessing it’s related to stress, because none of the other common factors are relevant. We’ll see! There’s one more test scheduled for another week or so.

Good luck! I hope the treatment works things out for y'all.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Ladies trying to get pregnant, what are your plans regarding the covid vaccine?

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

That's a good question. If I was still trying, I'd have gone for it as soon as it was available to me unless my doctor said not to. Didn't ask yet since there's at least a month or two before I could conceivably get it here.

Now that I'm pregnant, gently caress if I know.

veggiebacon
Jul 14, 2015

I got my first dose (Moderna) and am just waiting on the scheduling email for the second. I'm not really concerned about it before or during pregnancy, but there really isn't a lot of data yet. I lurk in the pregnancy thread trying to see what I am trying to get myself into...copying and pasting what I put there:

Not pregnant but hoping to be and following the vaccine fairly regularly. The American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology (ACOG) wants pregnant folks to be able to decide for themselves, which is a big deal. The way I'm reading the Hill article is that essentially we don't have data on the vaccines in pregnancy, so they can't say it's safe. That's the case with a lot of vaccines and medications in pregnancy. If the medical community can't say it's safe, they won't recommend it.

The vaccines are mRNA based. mRNA (messenger RNA) is the message that DNA makes that is translated into proteins, which build everything. In vaccines that use the actual virus, the virus is weakened or dead, but allows the immune system to recognize the virus and fight off future infections. With the mRNA vaccine, you get enough information for the immune system to recognize the spikes while not actually getting the real virus. With viral infections and pregnancy in general, the risk is that the virus can cross the placenta if there is an active infection. Plus mRNA is relatively fragile and degrades quickly, so it likely won't stick around long enough to cross the placenta. On the other hand, if you have antibodies from the vaccine, those might cross the placenta and give the baby some protection.

Unfortunately with COVID, we just don't know.

These links can be helpful:
https://www.uchicagomedicine.org/forefront/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/mrna-covid-19-vaccine-pregnancy-breastfeeding

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog...ic%20structure.

If you're more the video type:
https://youtu.be/G8R4B7E7lLQ

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
My wife is 8 months pregnant and at her dr appointment today she was told to get the vaccine now if she can.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I asked in here about the vaccine since women trying to conceive might find themselves in their first trimester quickly. It sounds like that's the riskiest time during pregnancy and I've heard a few people have had some notable side effects.

veggiebacon
Jul 14, 2015

Dazerbeam, do you have any info on the specific side effects in pregnancy? No one I know personally who has gotten the vaccine has had major side effects (sore arms, one person with headache, a mild fever after the second dose), so I'm really curious. Of course now that I said that I'm probably going to be miserable after my second dose.

The clinic I work in is encouraging us to not schedule our second dose on the same day as each other because side effects are apparently more common after the second one and we don't want everyone out sick on the same day.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I don’t have any specific info I’m afraid. But some people are definitely experiencing high fever in reaction to the vaccine and that can be dangerous in early pregnancy.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

WHO changed its guidance today, and is now aligning with the CDC's policy that vaccinations during pregnancies are OK.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/29/health/covid-vaccine-pregnancy.html

And congrats on your positive test, Emily! Hope things are smooth sailing from here on out.

veggiebacon
Jul 14, 2015

I've been off my birth control for 2 months. Had a couple of days of light bleeding a few days after, but no real period yet. I'm not worried. I know it can take a few months to get your cycle back and 2 months is not a lot of time at all. It's just annoying me and I'm trying hard not to overthink any minor thing that could be (but probably isn't) a sign of pregnancy.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Ha I'm in the same boat, I've been off birth control for like 5 months and had regular periods until new years, after which I started a really full on and stressful roster for work, and now I'm on like day 76 and counting. Not pregnant, just hormones gone rogue. Waiting impatiently for things to sort themselves out because I'm meant to be doing a frozen embryo transfer in April.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Even though you're not trying to use a newly released egg, wouldn't they do something to try to fix the cycle before implantation anyway? (I admittedly haven't looked that much into ivf yet--we were just about to start iui when I got pregnant. I still have the bottle of clomid pills, lol.)

Also good luck to both of you! Cycle shenanigans are annoying enough when you aren't trying. Hope they settle down soon.

veggiebacon
Jul 14, 2015

Good luck with the transfer! I hope your cycle settles down and cooperates. My understanding is that frozen embryos are supposed to work better than fresh ones?

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Emily Spinach posted:

Even though you're not trying to use a newly released egg, wouldn't they do something to try to fix the cycle before implantation anyway?
They kind of do by default - on Day 1 you start taking oestrogen pills which starts thickening the uterine lining, and then part way through you start with supplemental progesterone which maintains the lining. The supplemental hormones sort of override whatever garbage hormonal activity the ovaries are (or are not) producing - the right things happen to the uterus to support a pregnancy, you do the embryo transfer, and then keep up with supplemental progesterone until the placenta is well established to maintain production on its own.

veggiebacon posted:

Good luck with the transfer! I hope your cycle settles down and cooperates. My understanding is that frozen embryos are supposed to work better than fresh ones?
Thanks! I've heard that too although to be honest I haven't looked into it much either myself - frozen was our only option after my ovaries were overcooked and had to settle from the lowest dose of IVF drugs. It certainly worked well the first time - I'm one of the lucky ones where I only needed one round of IVF and one transfer to get our son.

veggiebacon
Jul 14, 2015

Apparently all I had to do to jump start my period was whine about not getting it on the internet. This is the (second) most I've ever been to get it because it feels like things are maybe getting back in working order!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midori-a-gogo
Feb 26, 2006

feeling a bit green
Nervously reviving this thread...

My partner and I are about to start trying to conceive. I'm 34 next month, he's 52, together 8 years - we'd hoped to start trying earlier but the pandemic threw a wrench in our plans and life is just now back to being more balanced for us.

We're both concerned given our ages and the fact that he was diagnosed with a varicocele about a decade ago, which may or may not correlate with reduced fertility. We live in the UK and I love the NHS but any sort of preventative checks are difficult to get, so we just have to wait and see (or pay out of pocket for tests, I guess).

Anyway, I'm just trying to put these worries aside for now and be excited that we're ready to start trying.