Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Spooky Halloween Outfit Ideas
This poll is closed.
The guy from Hades 37 7.76%
The priest from Faith 22 4.61%
A Corpse from Microsoft's Graveyard 27 5.66%
The Ouya 62 13.00%
Google Stadia (scariest option) 73 15.30%
Mr. Mosquito 31 6.50%
Did someone say Bowsette? BECAUSE I AM PRETTY SURE I HEARD SOMEONE SAY BOWSETTE 122 25.58%
Wario (nude) 62 13.00%
Wario (formal) 33 6.92%
Captain N 8 1.68%
Total: 304 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE SPOOKIEST MONTH OF THE YEAR

This year has been a real fucker. It's been downright.... spooky!!!!! But that's ok. Because we have games! And each other! And that's the SCARIEST THING OF ALL

UPCOMING GRAVES (games)
  • Crash 4 - It's About Time - October 2nd
  • Baulder's Gate 3 - October 6th
  • Amnesia: Rebirth - October 20th
  • The Pokemon DLC - October 22nd
  • The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV - October 27th
  • Watch Dogs Legion - October 29th
  • Faith III - THIS MONTH
  • The Dark Pictures Anthology: Little Hope - October 30th

Now go and post, and look out for... oh no!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Star Wars Squadrons comes out October 2...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
No bowsette option, no vote

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bowsette is good.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Star Wars Squadron comes out October 2nd too, but Crash 4 is a far more important and note worthy game.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

haveblue posted:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Star Wars Squadron comes out October 2nd too, but Crash 4 is a far more important and note worthy game.

Time for a new generation to experience this

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Thanks for doing the thread

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I really thought Grapplejack was one of the Bowsetteers so this is indeed a surprising poll

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Need Bingo in the OP

https://bingobaker.com/play/0e71001635b8bfb7

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Time for a new generation to experience this

there are always weak gamers, its not a generational thing

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
:siren: BINGO :siren:

Here is an October games chat thread bingo:

Play along, maybe!

No hard and fast rules for any of the squares, except that you are supposed to fill them in when you accomplish them, not when you witness someone else accomplishing them. They're all a bit fuzzy so just follow your heart on whether you've fulfilled one. Note that aside from the central free square, your personal bingo card is randomized so no two posters have the same card.

First person to complete a line will have their name inserted into next month's poll. You too can live side by side with Bowsette!

If anyone completes the entire square I'll think of something cool for you so don't stop posting just because someone got a line.

e: I really hope this bingo website works, I wasn't sure how to test it

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

haveblue posted:

No bowsette, voted 1.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

Play along, maybe!

No hard and fast rules for any of the squares, except that you are supposed to fill them in when you accomplish them, not when you witness someone else accomplishing them. They're all a bit fuzzy so just follow your heart on whether you've fulfilled one. Note that aside from the central free square, your personal bingo card is randomized so no two posters have the same card.

First person to complete a line will have their name inserted into next month's poll. You too can live side by side with Bowsette!

If anyone completes the entire square I'll think of something cool for you so don't stop posting just because someone got a line.

How will results be vetted? Is the moderation team prepared to seriously evaluate whether each box's conditions were truly met? I want this to be the best bingo it can possibly be.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I said come in! posted:

The lack of reviews of any kind for Star Wars Squadron ahead of its release tomorrow night at 9pm pacific, is not a good sign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVmvrjtVsNM

IDK sounds pretty loving cool

But I have a VR rig so I'm already pretty sold on this. Its a modern X-Wing. They have X-wings and TIEs and A-wings and you can dogfight and divert energy from shields to lasers or engines, like... that's all they had to do and they did it.

Sounds like the story is pretty cool too.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Adjunct Professor Metis posted:

How will results be vetted? Is the moderation team prepared to seriously evaluate whether each box's conditions were truly met? I want this to be the best bingo it can possibly be.

As I said, follow your heart

If you truly, honestly believe you have fulfilled a condition, check the box

I'll know if you're lying

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Would my earlier double post count as "justified double post"?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

does your heart tell you it was justified

I'm not gonna be a bingo cop

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

all double posts are justified

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

always

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

just so you all know, I'm counting this discussion of bingo rules as a discussion of 5+ posts that i sparked

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Super Mario 35 is up on the JP eshop in case anyone else besides me was waiting for that.

It's... interesting, you run through a random set of stages and killing enemies sends them to other players and also gives you time (you have to contend with not dying and not running out of a running time limit, but I can't imaging ever running out of time since literally everything except for powerups gives you extra). Getting coins is important because 20 of them lets you play a roulette to get a powerup or a POW block to kill everything onscreen. It gets challenging when you've got a bunch of random enemies appearing where you don't normally expect them (piranha plants growing out of the ground or the top of the stairs before the goal, cheep cheeps flying out of the ground, etc).

It seems less focused on competing with other people than Tetris 99 and more on just being Good At Mario because there are a lot more things to focus on in your own screen that you don't really have time to look at others.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Hello October chat thread, my name is Mode 7 and I have a problem.

My problem is that despite liking scary movies, I am an absolute scaredy cat when it comes to videogames. Even mild horror stuff tends to leave me incredibly uneasy/anxious in game form, and anything spicier than that leads to me shutting the game off, completely unable to play more. I think it's related to being in control of a character rather than being an observer from afar like you are watching a movie. In a movie, a character will inch up towards a corner with the camera hugging tightly behind them and my brain goes "don't go around that corner you idiot, the killer is there" and then they do and the killer is and I'm delighted because horror movies are great. In a game, where I am a character and need to steer them around that corner myself I go to pieces and absolutely do not want to walk around the corner.

(As a sort of aside, this is diminished by introducing too much of an action element. It's been ages since I played Doom 3 for example, but I recall all of the tension it was trying to build in its first hour or so evaporated the second I had access to a shotgun, because then if something jumped out at me I'd just reflexively empty both barrels into it which was cathartic and not particularly tense)

I didn't always like horror movies though - they grew on me as I watched milder stuff and learned to appreciate the genre and enjoy being scared by a well crafted horror film. I'm hoping folks can suggest something similar for horror games - what are some gentle steps into horror gaming that I can take?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Have you tried Gone Home?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86w3-nkeVGc

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Among Us, but trying to figure out who votes for Bowsette.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
get your final guesses in for the next smash character before they reveal it's crash bandicoot in a few hours

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Roach Warehouse posted:

Among Us, but trying to figure out who votes for Bowsette.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Mode 7 posted:

Hello October chat thread, my name is Mode 7 and I have a problem.

My problem is that despite liking scary movies, I am an absolute scaredy cat when it comes to videogames. Even mild horror stuff tends to leave me incredibly uneasy/anxious in game form, and anything spicier than that leads to me shutting the game off, completely unable to play more. I think it's related to being in control of a character rather than being an observer from afar like you are watching a movie. In a movie, a character will inch up towards a corner with the camera hugging tightly behind them and my brain goes "don't go around that corner you idiot, the killer is there" and then they do and the killer is and I'm delighted because horror movies are great. In a game, where I am a character and need to steer them around that corner myself I go to pieces and absolutely do not want to walk around the corner.

(As a sort of aside, this is diminished by introducing too much of an action element. It's been ages since I played Doom 3 for example, but I recall all of the tension it was trying to build in its first hour or so evaporated the second I had access to a shotgun, because then if something jumped out at me I'd just reflexively empty both barrels into it which was cathartic and not particularly tense)

I didn't always like horror movies though - they grew on me as I watched milder stuff and learned to appreciate the genre and enjoy being scared by a well crafted horror film. I'm hoping folks can suggest something similar for horror games - what are some gentle steps into horror gaming that I can take?

I have a few suggestions, because I'm similarly averse to horror stuff, and these are some games that I can just about handle, so they might be good entry points:

Subnautica - exploring deeper and deeper into the alien ocean really freaks me out, and I have never gotten past the halfway mark, but it does a good job of gradually elevating the scary vibes, without ever being true horror.
Prey - an immersive sim about exploring a space station infested with aliens. Might have a similar problem to Doom 3, since you can just shoot your problems away, but it has a great and tense narrative. By the end you're pretty powerful though so nothing is that scary.
Soma - a survival horror mystery game that has monsters BUT you can turn on safe mode so the monsters can't kill you. I haven't actually played this one but I want to.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Have you tried Gone Home?

Yes and I expected something nasty to happen throughout most of it.
The bursting lightbulb made me jump sharply, but the bathtub full of red hairdye didn't fool me. Great game though.

Adjunct Professor Metis posted:

I have a few suggestions, because I'm similarly averse to horror stuff, and these are some games that I can just about handle, so they might be good entry points:

Subnautica - exploring deeper and deeper into the alien ocean really freaks me out, and I have never gotten past the halfway mark, but it does a good job of gradually elevating the scary vibes, without ever being true horror.
Prey - an immersive sim about exploring a space station infested with aliens. Might have a similar problem to Doom 3, since you can just shoot your problems away, but it has a great and tense narrative. By the end you're pretty powerful though so nothing is that scary.
Soma - a survival horror mystery game that has monsters BUT you can turn on safe mode so the monsters can't kill you. I haven't actually played this one but I want to.

These seem like some good suggestions.

Outer Wilds lead me to discover I'm more afraid of ocean wildlife than I had previously thought (if this describes you, you should still play Outer Wilds though, it was my GOTY last year and is loving amazing) but Subnautica has been on my "to play" list for a good while, that might be a nice lead in.

Prey seems very cool and was a game I wanted to try; I suspect being able to blast them away means I won't find it particularly unnerving but then again shapeshifting alien mimics trying to eat my face might do it!

Interestingly, Soma is one of the games that made me ask this question. Soma looked awesome and like a neat walking sim I wanted to play, then I discovered that it had monsters in it and that pretty much put me off it. I think when I last looked at it safe mode hadn't been patched in? I'll consider it, but being able to die isn't really the thing that I find a problem, it's everything leading up to the dying :haw:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

get your final guesses in for the next smash character before they reveal it's crash bandicoot in a few hours

Bill Rizer from Contra.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Sekiro looks cool
https://i.imgur.com/ac0Oy2n.mp4

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Gamers unite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAiNg399fK8

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

It's so weird how that, even placed overtop of a totally different genre of music and speaking a language I cannot understand, I still immediately recognized the vocalist as being the one from Nier

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

Play along, maybe!

Heck yeah I am doing this!!!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

We all instinctively understand the Chaos Language

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Chose every option and voted 1.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

These October choices are a sham without Bowsette.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

haveblue posted:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

No bowsette, voted 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
The icon for this thread is perfect FYI.

Also user Nut in BYOB animed my avatar and it whips: