Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

2house2fly posted:

I think there's not enough gold to both buy everything and upgrade all the equipment, I've always got to leave some stuff on the table

I always thought that, since ships respawn now, there's basically infinite money in the game if you put the time in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Yeah, I forgot all about that. Oopsie! I can rarely be bothered to grind like that, but may give it a try next playthrough. Getting everything in the game or as close as possible is a fun feel

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Furism posted:

What's missing in ship battles is... not fighting ships. If you read the lore you learn that the Deadfire is supposed to hold a lot of terrifying sea creatures but you don't get to fight any from the boat (that I know of).

I mean, one of the most commonly seen artworks for the game is a kraken/giant squid attacking the ship.

Unfortunately sea monsters were a stretch goal not met.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Furism posted:

I always thought that, since ships respawn now, there's basically infinite money in the game if you put the time in?

yeah the generic ships respawn and if you leave crookspur alone the slaver ships respawn forever.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

wiegieman posted:

You could do this with the existing 3d engine. There are plenty of examples of far less talented people accomplishing it.

I mean, sure, but that's true in the same sense that you can do Guitar Hero in the existing 3d engine (presumably to make Chanters more exciting). Making Sid Meier's Pirates! in Unity is easier than making Sid Meier's Pirates! from scratch, but the engine -- wherever you draw the line on that -- is not the hard part. You'd need to add new control and and motion models for boats; create new boat, sail and shot physics; make new art and animation; still do a bunch of specific UI work for the boat combat; and finally tweak the details and feel of all those systems until they cohere into something fun that fits within the rest of your non-boating game.

I'm not entirely sure exactly what you're thinking of when you say reskin of the existing combat. You definitely would not get away with putting Eder on a sea map, replacing his mesh with a two-decker and calling it done. It would be briefly hilarious though.

In hindsight a dev-intensive real time boating game would've been better than the dev-intensive menu based boating game we got, but going full Pirates! is a hell of a thing to commit to early in the development of your party-based RPG.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Is going full Pirates! a weird decision to make when you literally have ship combat as a stretch goal in your infinity-successor rpg? When you're in an archipelago where naval conflict is the norm?

This is not a more complicated problem than the one they already solved.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Well, we didn't have time for either, which is why I cut what we had prior to the Fig campaign. I could tell that the existing system was not going to be enjoyable for a lot of players and we didn't have the resources to scrap it all and start over with a 3D implementation.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Furism posted:

The real limitation, IIRC, is that there's a finite quantity of Adra Ban in the world, and that's used for making a lot of things Superb/Legendary. It doesn't show up in any shops or resetting sources, to the best of my knowledge, so once you use it up you're out of luck.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Apparently Una in Neketaka is supposed to carry adra ban but a bug prevents her from accessing her high level vendor tables. A cool goon made a mod that fixes it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
there's also a mod called The Pantry which adds a poo poo ton of crafting ingredients to the fishmonger at Port Maje. Not just rare ingredients but unique ingredients, it gives her like a dozen magma dragon gizzards and kraken eyes. Install it if you really love to upgrade your poo poo

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Khizan posted:

The real limitation, IIRC, is that there's a finite quantity of Adra Ban in the world, and that's used for making a lot of things Superb/Legendary. It doesn't show up in any shops or resetting sources, to the best of my knowledge, so once you use it up you're out of luck.

Yes you are correct, I was only talking about actual money not crafting resources. Those are scarce (and I think it's good ; while it'd be hilarious to have everybody running in Legendary gear, I think having only one or two make them stand out).

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

moot the hopple posted:

Apparently Una in Neketaka is supposed to carry adra ban but a bug prevents her from accessing her high level vendor tables. A cool goon made a mod that fixes it.
Get it here: https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/441
or here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2147062446
:v:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm playing with the mod shared ITT that reduces health by 50% in order to speed up turn based battles. However, this seems to make ranged attacks very troublesome. When engaging in combat, my melee characters like Eder get their asses kicked right away while they slowly attempt to close range.

What can I do about this? Should I disable the mod?

Dav
Nov 6, 2009
I decided it was worth it and compensated by dropping the difficulty to normal and accepting that I’d have more knockouts.

Related question: it’s annoying that the paladin un-knockout spell does more damage than the revived character has health. Is that intended/a bug/an awkward interaction with the half-health mod?

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

blue squares posted:

I'm playing with the mod shared ITT that reduces health by 50% in order to speed up turn based battles. However, this seems to make ranged attacks very troublesome. When engaging in combat, my melee characters like Eder get their asses kicked right away while they slowly attempt to close range.

What can I do about this? Should I disable the mod?

You can try equipping lighter armor on someone with decent dex to rush them before they can shoot, give your own characters guns and shoot back, use armor with high pierce resistance (this one can be easy to overlook), equip accessories that increase con/max health, or give everyone some spare health potions and run up and engage and drink a potion rather than swinging so the enemies swap weapons.

I don't particularly remember ranged attacks being a big stumbling point for me except lagunfearth spamming their paralysis poison shot, and a couple areas with naga on balconies/roofs.

EDIT: It helps to try always give characters at least one jump/dashes/speed boost so you don't have to slowly jog across the field. Fighters get charge, barbarians get leap or sprint, rogues get escape.

Captainicus fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Oct 1, 2020

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Also what the hell, game, sending me on a quest to Poko Kohara and in my quest journal saying it is appropriate for my level, only to have a a level 10 Engwithian Titan that one-shots all my characters

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Dav posted:

I decided it was worth it and compensated by dropping the difficulty to normal and accepting that I’d have more knockouts.

Related question: it’s annoying that the paladin un-knockout spell does more damage than the revived character has health. Is that intended/a bug/an awkward interaction with the half-health mod?

Oversight; the mod only affects the base health and health per level of characters, didn't touch any spells or abilities. Reviving Exhortation takes off 100 health, which will kill any character below level 11 with the mod installed. If you're on Steam check and see if it's updated

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

blue squares posted:

Also what the hell, game, sending me on a quest to Poko Kohara and in my quest journal saying it is appropriate for my level, only to have a a level 10 Engwithian Titan that one-shots all my characters

Yeah that guy is very rude, in general, I think the level recommendations or level scaling MOSTLY works but there are a few outliers here and there like that jerk.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

blue squares posted:

You can kite that guy around a lot and there are explosive barrels on the map

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You can kite that guy around a lot and there are explosive barrels on the map

Thanks! I used some of the barrels already to blow up some dudes which was a ton of fun. Hopefully I can find the rest haha

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

blue squares posted:

Thanks! I used some of the barrels already to blow up some dudes which was a ton of fun. Hopefully I can find the rest haha

His difficulty is also probably increased by the mod you're using as well as it being turnbased. In RTwP he hits really hard but also really slowly, but couldn't one-shot any of my melee folks. There was a lot of time to heal between his attacks, move people out of the way of his big attacks, and so on, none of which are options in turnbased. And then the mod moves his attacks (that you can't avoid anymore) from "poo poo that hurt better heal/retreat" to "oops I'm dead" and it's a lot of unintended effects coming together to really amp up the difficulty.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

So I went to Ford Deadlight and killed Benwith, but now I can't leave. I opened the gate to the port, but the only way to get there is to get past every single pirate in the courtyard. I'd rather not kill them all (especially on loving turn based which takes forever). Any help? Why can't I just escape out the window? Maybe I am supposed to have a grappling hook and I don't?

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

blue squares posted:

So I went to Ford Deadlight and killed Benwith, but now I can't leave. I opened the gate to the port, but the only way to get there is to get past every single pirate in the courtyard. I'd rather not kill them all (especially on loving turn based which takes forever). Any help? Why can't I just escape out the window? Maybe I am supposed to have a grappling hook and I don't?

That is odd. With Benwith dead, only specific pirates should still be actively trying to kill you (the ones in Command and a one type of guard). You will aggro all the patrons in the tavern bit if you open the door from the halway though - the mouse icon will change to Stealing if you mouse over that door. If you take any other path to the port you should be fine.

I feel I have also always been able to enter/leave through the window but I cannot say I have tested that in every scenario (like when doing a frontal assault).

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The entire fort is aggro to me. Maybe because earlier when trying to get TO Benwith I got in a fight and the alarm was sounded. Based on Googling other people were able to sneak back out. I think my game is bugged so I guess I have to kill everyone. I'll just set the game to realtime and use cheats to mop it up quickly

Edit actually looks like there is a cheat that makes me invisible so I’ll use that

blue squares fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 3, 2020

Dav
Nov 6, 2009

2house2fly posted:

Oversight; the mod only affects the base health and health per level of characters, didn't touch any spells or abilities. Reviving Exhortation takes off 100 health, which will kill any character below level 11 with the mod installed. If you're on Steam check and see if it's updated

Thanks!
I see the change, but unfortunately it doesn’t carry through to the upgraded versions (Reviving Command and Rebirthing Exhortation).

(It’s also funny that the ability apparently does more damage with higher Might, but I assume that’s not mod-related.)

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Arkemyr's Necrotic Lance gave me an Acute Rash

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Dav posted:

Thanks!
I see the change, but unfortunately it doesn’t carry through to the upgraded versions (Reviving Command and Rebirthing Exhortation).

(It’s also funny that the ability apparently does more damage with higher Might, but I assume that’s not mod-related.)

Oh yeah, upgrades... fixed them too now. I probably oughta go through abilities that damage the player or take off health and modify them a bit. I'm too paranoid a player to ever use those abilities, so they slipped my mind- Deleterious Alacrity Of Motion, some Monk powers like Forbidden Fist and Mortification Of The Soul, the Blood Mage thing, all probably suck way more with half the HP!

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Good news--Forbidden Fist sucks incredibly hard even without your health mod!

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
I am having issues actually completing this game. The character creation is so good and character builds are so varied, I keep starting over as a different character build. I also keep waffling on what companions to use. I'd like to use a gun-based character, but I kinda want to go with the RDC and use Maia, since she's pretty cool, but that means there would be some overlap. I mean, I could just make her a Geomancer to fill a more wizard role, and let her use The Red Hand, while I go with Dragon's Dowry.

But then I also want to side with the Principi and stuff. Option paralysis really kind of sucks.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

The only solution is to play the game three times in a row - I know I certainly felt like doing that :v:

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Colgate posted:

I am having issues actually completing this game. The character creation is so good and character builds are so varied, I keep starting over as a different character build. I also keep waffling on what companions to use. I'd like to use a gun-based character, but I kinda want to go with the RDC and use Maia, since she's pretty cool, but that means there would be some overlap. I mean, I could just make her a Geomancer to fill a more wizard role, and let her use The Red Hand, while I go with Dragon's Dowry.

But then I also want to side with the Principi and stuff. Option paralysis really kind of sucks.

I'd keep Maia a Ranger and give her a bow (I know, I know) - frostseeker is a good option - and build a gun-kata character with a Monk (Hellwalker)/Paladin (Bleak Walker). I had fun with that combo, dual-wielding pistols.

Then do like Captainicus said and play the game 3 times anyway.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

Hulk Smash! posted:

I'd keep Maia a Ranger and give her a bow (I know, I know) - frostseeker is a good option - and build a gun-kata character with a Monk (Hellwalker)/Paladin (Bleak Walker). I had fun with that combo, dual-wielding pistols.

Then do like Captainicus said and play the game 3 times anyway.

One of the ranged builds I thought of was Sharpshooter/War Bow Devoted using Frostseeker for maximum crit, but I've also always been fond of the bleak walker/assassin arquebus character.

I should play through the game three times, yeah. Other characters I want to play as are a pure blaster druid (probably Fury) and a minmaxed Riposte based tank character (which might work better on turn-based since I use the tweak mod that lets grazes activate riposte as well).

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I feel you on option paralysis. I struggle with that myself. I try to just convince myself to pick a run and play it through. There's nothing stopping me from playing another run through again later.

But I do have lots of half finished abandoned runs where I play a build for a while and then think of something else cool to try and end up doing that. It's definitely a struggle.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
I do just one play through with sidekicks and companions, then I just build a whole party in the first inn. All dual classed, too. So much fun!

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
If I wanted to mod Skald's "crits have a 50% chance to grant phrases" to not be melee-only, where would I find that?

Edit: or I could just make a Troubadour instead, but that chant radius loss sucks (oops, I was reading Bellower's penalty there). Although, if I end up using guns, it's probably a far better idea to go Troubadour than Skald, since guns don't attack very often. Edit2: since they don't actually lose chant radius, I think Troubadour is pretty much the de facto winner.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 8, 2020

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Meatgrinder posted:

I do just one play through with sidekicks and companions, then I just build a whole party in the first inn. All dual classed, too. So much fun!

I also quite enjoyed an all adventurer playthrough. You lose out on story flavour but the combat is a blast.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Starks posted:

I also quite enjoyed an all adventurer playthrough. You lose out on story flavour but the combat is a blast.

I totally understand why existing party members are all boring multiclasses. Everyone is Rogue or Chanter or Fighter. Mercenaries allow you to go wild. Wizard Paladin is my recommendation.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

finished fourth (?) playthough (trickster - beguiler) finally all in turn based

feel like rtwp made things flow better but one thing i picked up in turn based was the animations for a lot of things were really well done, things i never noticed during the rtwp melee

could really appreciate everytime pallegina just smacked someone with a flaming sword

still, my favorite isometric rpg ive played around, the setting and writing is my favorite bit nothing compares

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I did a playthrough where I multiclassed all the story companions. Druid/Chanter on Tekehu stood out as much better than I assumed it was going to be. Fassina as a Conjurer/Druid also kind of surprised me, she lacks a lot of offensive spells as a Conjurer that can be filled in using the Druid spell list. Xoti as a Monk/Cleric was... quite bad. Pallegina and Maia as Chanter/Paladin and Wizard/Ranger were very strong as predicted. It was a pretty fun playthrough all things considered and got me to try a bunch of class combos I wouldn't even have thought off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

AngryBooch posted:

I did a playthrough where I multiclassed all the story companions. Druid/Chanter on Tekehu stood out as much better than I assumed it was going to be. Fassina as a Conjurer/Druid also kind of surprised me, she lacks a lot of offensive spells as a Conjurer that can be filled in using the Druid spell list. Xoti as a Monk/Cleric was... quite bad. Pallegina and Maia as Chanter/Paladin and Wizard/Ranger were very strong as predicted. It was a pretty fun playthrough all things considered and got me to try a bunch of class combos I wouldn't even have thought off.

I usually have Xoti as a single-class Monk because she's actually pretty good at it. Is Priest/Monk really that bad?