Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
One could still do a compelling yarn out of the non-adventures of a character's aimless, stakeless wandering. But to do so, you'd have to have a solid character, and have the little vignettes the character go through be interesting on their own.

Like, take Giraud's Arzach. A lot of his stories are just a few pages of Arzach traveling through a place, maybe meeting an obstacle or something. There are no dialogue or plot arch. It's just one dude and his faithful mount going through weird landscapes and seeing strange things. But it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

i'm glad mookie created a new comic for us to talk about

i hope he never stops making comics

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

How does he constantly manage to make nothing happen so slowly?

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Miss posted:

i'm glad mookie created a new comic for us to talk about

i hope he never stops making comics

Me too!

Sorry for the delay some personal stuff came up and I had to step away from the computer for a bit.

Chapter 12 The Storm of Souls Part 8

We start this section strong, with Mookie's signature jump cut to suicidal character. He sure loves that. And again the only way that they were able to stop it, even knowing that Nimmel was in a bad way, is that Dominic received a vision of it.

I like that Dominic can now just contact Klo Tark. There's a line where Dominic went from being just a person who has visions, to being some sort of mindscape psion. It is a big enough shift that it wasn't really earned as powercreep.

I find it hilarious that NImmel's problems aren't just a related sense of worthlessness and depression, but literally exactly the same problems as Luna has. There's something about this writing for mental illness that is just so naïve and immature, it just reminds me of bad fanfiction talking about how depressed and gothy and suicidal all the characters are.

See also this. Nimmel's parents hating him comes out of nowhere, it's entirely meaningless to the plot. But it's like Mookie did can't understand the idea of sympathizing with someone without having directly experienced what they have. But the main thing that is making Nimmel sad is that the girl he had an awkward nerd crush on, because she was nice to him once, died when the Infernomancer attacked. Now of all the things Mookie has written concerning women, this is not the worst. But there is something about the fact that Nimmel talks about how he was hoping for someone prettier or more popular that reads both as honest and a little creepy. It actually reminds me a lot of the girlfriend character in ready player one, not the protagonist's girlfriend but the one who made whatever they called their MMO. Just having the character die tragic death and then making the sole important part of that that be how it affected the dude who wanted to bone her.

And here's the other thing that happens. Mookie can't stand his chosen characters being bad or living with regrets in any way. It's not a bad character arc to have someone come to terms with having made a mistake like giving up information in a moment of terror. The pieces here are all wrong, because it had to have established that Nimmel had made a promise or an oath or that it was understood as part of his role that he wasn't supposed to give up where Miranda is, or maybe even have his girlfriend dying because he gave up the information. But like as an idea I don't understand why you would set up this character having guilt over an action that was his choice, only to absolve him of it all within a single strip. You can have people saying this and there's not much you could've done you need to forgive yourself but he should've had to find some way to come to terms with it. Instead Luna gives him one little pep talk and he's back up. Like Luna, his damages got a flare up periodically, but never as bad as hers and from this point on he is just another side Mookie insert until he ascends to full Mookie them during the Animal House arc.

Klo Tark gets Dominic up to speed. This is perhaps most notable to me for all the garish yellow

And Klo Tark downloads all the information he needs so no need to catch anybody up. I like that he doesn't just jump cut to after the expiration though he wastes panels showing them quickly summarizing things we already know, but doesn't have the characters explain it, just has them downloaded from each other's minds.

So here's when Dominic gets the classic third eye in the centre of the forehead. He also gets the vision of the chosen dude going to kill Greg, so now all the plot threads are coming together once again by just giving random visions until they all link up.

I know it's a bit, but the dialogue between Greg and Pam is so terrible and cheesy. Here's where we also establish that Dominic can just reach into people's minds and send them information.

Are you ready for white mage Mookie winning the day with the help of the mental direction of omniscient Mookie?

Don't answer that.

See this is where Dominic literally does ascend to the full puppet master persona. He is feeding Greg selective information instead of just telling him what is happening in full and letting him make his own choices.

Just look at this. Again this is a risky plan apparently that really doesn't make sense because what how would Dominic being in Greg's mindscape help. It's just assuming that Dominic has these powers that have never been established. But he will help and wait till you see how.

Here's another place where the self-insert nature of Greg becomes eyerollingly awful.

Look at the scene, it's so over-the-top in terms of what strength communicate about Greg. This is his mindscape which shows that he is a pure angelic virgin literally enveloped in the field of holy fire. It transforms any of the work that Greg supposed was supposed to have done to practice white magic into just this innate superiority that comes from nowhere. In the individual symbolism is just so trite and clichéd that it pisses me off instead of impressing me

and here's how Dominic is going to help, those following fireballs are spells that I don't know, exist in the ether or something that Greg can access, but only if Dominic guides him. This is really just to allow Dominic to be the reason that Greg wins. I say this also speaks to Mookie's weird theory of knowledge, where it's not like Greg learns these things independently, but where this information is just waiting to be discovered or read like it's written into the basecode of the universe. Just a strange choice

why magic here seems to me a lot of magic that affects movement and kinetic force.

I love that these chaos followers hate people who follow the rules. It's just such a literal interpretation of chaos worship.

again Dominic comes up with everything Greg comes up with nothing. It's literally Dominic feeding them information inside of the control centre in his brain. Fun fact out that lady who looks a little off model in her suit on the first panel? Right in the middle? That's Snowsong! He was planning that arc, which is chapter 19, all the way back at this point. This is confirmed because he will make a sketch of snow song later as a teaser image. I'm assuming that she was something like a city of heroes character that he made, because she makes absolutely no sense in the context of the story.

The Chosen dude Wrath of God's his followers for being terrible. I think that that's a pretty good plot feet especially as we've established that the storm feeds upon the souls of the chosen to grow larger so make sense.

White magic is now also like the healing factor of Wolverine. Love Dominic admonishing Greg for being to jockish. This dude is an evil chaos wizard! Kill him!

Again there is no natural way to reveal that he is an inferno match or apparently. That last panel wasn't enough, Dominic has to be the one to give the information. I love that Dominic loses his ability to communicate because one of this background scenery elements messed with him. It's totally not set up, so it seems weird and jarring when it happens but I like it. And again it seems that Dominic talking to Gregory soul is not talking to Gregory, he is literally inceptioning information into Gregory's brain

So they're all in their sellers waiting for the bombs to drop.

Like this dude's smile.

I don't know if that's poetic Mookie, it's really more clichéd. Mayor Lands died offscreen lol.

So the infernomancer serves the demon of chaos, important to note.

Because guess what? He doesn't PLAY BY THE RULES!!! :rock:

This is such a stupid idea. Both the fact that being the infernomancer of the demon of chaos gives you powers of opposite day, and the super clever twist that these idiots "obeying the law" is what to get them killed, because the animation of this dude's limit break comes from the earth. I can't say more than that, it's stupid in exactly the way that Mookie thinks all of his writing is clever.

Of course Greg saves everyone.

INTERLUDE!

Just compare the art styles, and show that other people could have done Dominic did much better than Mookie. But also shows that Mookie had a lot of friends in the web, community which I feel helped a lot in getting it a reading base

Why didn't the blight heal him if his chaos demon magic makes it so that everything affects him the opposite? Or is it only specific rules about devil wizards that he gets to break? You see what a mess this becomes when you start thinking about. But yeah, Rillian comes in and ends the infernomancer

again there's a sense of this being fated and foretold because I think that's the only type of story Mookie can write, but it's not clear who would've made this prophecy or why it should be happening. Especially given that apparently Miranda went through something similar when she was young.

Anyway were getting closer to the end now. As you can see Mookie does have a very unique style to his writing that is apparent no matter what story he's working on. Even the Legacy, despite lacking the forward momentum and actual plot of his earlier comics, still relies on some of his well-worn crutches. Mookie is like an anti-good story generator and I appreciate that we have over 20 years of his work to pour through. The terrible hat does have an inherent right to exist along with the good you know.

To be mocked by us

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 1, 2020

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Finally...it's Goku Time...

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Tesseraction posted:

How does he constantly manage to make nothing happen so slowly?

If you break it down further, it’s because he’s locked into this page-a-day structure where every page is more-or-less treated as an independent comic.

Look at the page where Snout meets the vine man: it includes a note that the vines make noise, and a note that Snout is deaf. Those aren’t reminders for the audience (“what? Snout’s deaf???”) - it’s an artifact of the newspaper format, where (as per Stan Lee) every individual strip is potentially someone’s first comic. Terricianno is consciously planning out the individual pages that way.

The problem is, of course, that ‘selling’ an entire graphic novel in one-page instalments is absolutely insane. It’s already nuts that the chapters are split up into chunks by the regular diary recaps, but even those recaps get repeatedly recapped. This is altogether what kills any narrative momentum and makes things really interminable.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Little Death posted:

Why didn't the blight heal him if his chaos demon magic makes it so that everything affects him the opposite?

With the excessively mechanic way magic works in that setting, he could have just cast a "remove blight" spell because lolchaos it's gonna add it instead lulz.

Also you've repeated the "Mookie receving a standing ovation at comic-con" page instead of the angel reveal. Okay it's not that page but Dominic's pose in the last panel is exactly the same.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Cat Mattress posted:

Also you've repeated the "Mookie receving a standing ovation at comic-con" page instead of the angel reveal. Okay it's not that page but Dominic's pose in the last panel is exactly the same.

Thanks!
I always check but I always miss one.

And yeah it is

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 1, 2020

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

The Little Death posted:

Mayor Lands died offscreen lol.

It's for the best.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

As a suicide survivor this line pisses me off to no loving end. It's the last thing anyone attempting to take their own life would say. gently caress you, Mookie, you stupid piece of poo poo.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Nimmel's whole character is eye-rolling. Not enough that he has to be a 1:1 transplant of Luna's drama, but he even had his own Dominic (Who was even a seer (A seer NAMED PINEAL! Weak!)) who wanted to help him out of the goodness of her pure nerd heart. Nimmel was just TOO SHALLOW to let this stranger pry into his business, and now she's DEAD. Bet you feel like poo poo now, STACEY NIMMEL! And just like Luna, Nimmel only exists to make Luna look so good and strong by picking him up out of the mud and telling him he's special, but since Nimmel's a man he gets to ascend to true Mookiedom later. I think he even becomes a seer?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nah, he becomes some kind of cold-powered weather wizard.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Oooh right, he's The Big Dog™. I remember one of these students becoming a seer later and being a Mookie, though.

TheHan fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 1, 2020

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

TheHan posted:

Oooh right, he's The Big Dog™. I remember one of these students becoming a seer later and being a Mookie, though.

Yes, another especially obnoxious character.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Ok, that pinup of the Infernomancer is actually pretty good. Everything else is bad and awful.

Edit: Oh I see, it's guest art. That makes sense.

Oh, I noticed a link to the artist's site. Didn't Mookie stop crediting guest artists at some point?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Looks like Mookie might be writing for Qanon

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
Imagining a jazz hands edit with Stonewater's hand edited to be tiny.

Mors Rattus posted:

Nah, he becomes some kind of cold-powered weather wizard.

TheHan posted:

He becomes a "spellwolf," because he's lovely at being a werewolf (jock) but this actually gives him a new, better hand made of gold because it makes his spellcasting (nerd) more powerful, letting him beat the popular fraternity at the big competition at the end of the year and steal the quarterback's girlfriend in the truly execrable "A Nimmel House" storyline.

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 1, 2020

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

It's Inktober again; is Mookie going to do more Inkwitch stuff or is it friendship ended with Inkwitch, now nymph and flaccid satyr are my best friends???

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Only time will tell. As we're seeing with original deegan, Mookie is easily distracted. He's figured out how to use the spraypaint tool in paint to make lovely ink trees and run out of the things that can do with inkwich, so now he's onto drawing nymph and satyr until he sees something else shiny.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Did someone say lovely trees?

There is of course, nothing of substance in this update. Fun fact though, these are the same trees Snout used to sew himself some new clothes. I think it's just an easy tree for Mookie to draw. No he will not be sewing his corpse bride a shirt.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

BattleMaster posted:

It's Inktober again; is Mookie going to do more Inkwitch stuff or is it friendship ended with Inkwitch, now nymph and flaccid satyr are my best friends???

what does your heart tell you

TheHan posted:

There is of course, nothing of substance in this update. Fun fact though, these are the same trees Snout used to sew himself some new clothes. I think it's just an easy tree for Mookie to draw. No he will not be sewing his corpse bride a shirt.

Ah, but don't you remember the importance of doing nothing?

Mookie read a manga or two since 2010 and now he's an auteur.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Seeing how his last travel montage apparently took place over the course of a day despite lasting several strips, I'm imagining all of this takes place over, say, 30 minutes.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

no man's sky recently had an update.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I really dislike how that whole arc of Gregory vs the Chosen was just a long chain of one deus ex machina countering the last one from the other side... culminating in a third party completely uninvolved up until that point suddenly swooping in and ending it within one strip of being introduced.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Huh. That wasn't an awful fight. I mean, there are actual stakes, Greg can't just show them the truth or whatever and vaporise them, it has ups and downs and reversals as any good fight scene should, and while he is suddenly getting new powers from his rear end, he has to figure out how to actually use them effectively. Of course, it's not good or anything, some of the powers used could have been introduced earlier as minor entertainments, especially the Bounce spell, so them being used offensively has more resonance, the rules of magic are so off the cuff that the working out what to do with what he has doesn't really have the impact it should, and of loving course some rando shows up to deus ex machina the ending, but it is definitely a step up from every other one we've seen.

Unfortunately that's not really a compliment.

The Little Death posted:

I love that these chaos followers hate people who follow the rules. It's just such a literal interpretation of chaos worship.

I would be fascinated to hear Mookie's thoughts on Elric and Moorcock in general.

The Little Death posted:

I know it's a bit, but the dialogue between Greg and Pam is so terrible and cheesy. Here's where we also establish that Dominic can just reach into people's minds and send them information.

Ok, so the first one is kinda dumb but amuses me a little, so I'll let that slide, but that last panel in the second strip, what's going on there? Is that... Dominic possessing Greg to reassure Pam and we're seeing Dominic just to let us know what's going on? In that case, what is Pam seeing and reacting to? Shouldn't she still be seeing Greg, so that statement comes out of nowhere for her? Unless she is seeing Dominic, in which case based on the first strip, I can only assume that Dominic just up and set up shop in Pam's head which... I really feel like that should be something you ask permission to do first, generally. The Deegan clan doesn't really understand boundaries, do they?

Also, did Mookie get into superhero comics here? Because those Chosen are cape characters, not even trying to hide the spandex.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

catlord posted:

Huh. That wasn't an awful fight. I mean, there are actual stakes, Greg can't just show them the truth or whatever and vaporise them, it has ups and downs and reversals as any good fight scene should, and while he is suddenly getting new powers from his rear end, he has to figure out how to actually use them effectively. Of course, it's not good or anything, some of the powers used could have been introduced earlier as minor entertainments, especially the Bounce spell, so them being used offensively has more resonance, the rules of magic are so off the cuff that the working out what to do with what he has doesn't really have the impact it should, and of loving course some rando shows up to deus ex machina the ending, but it is definitely a step up from every other one we've seen.

Unfortunately that's not really a compliment.

Honestly that fight would have been fine to me had it not had the element of Dominic puppeteering Greg the whole time. Even if there was some weird mindscape thing where Greg was talking with himself! Anything but Dominic being the saviour. And, it it had not been for the stupid logic of "hah those sheep fled underground", I actually would have like the idea of taunting Greg by saying "you thought they were safe, well guess again!". It's amazing how Mookie's twists literally suck the fun out the story.

catlord posted:

I would be fascinated to hear Mookie's thoughts on Elric and Moorcock in general.

Yes, I would actually love to hear how he conceived of the idea of chaos.

catlord posted:

Ok, so the first one is kinda dumb but amuses me a little, so I'll let that slide, but that last panel in the second strip, what's going on there? Is that... Dominic possessing Greg to reassure Pam and we're seeing Dominic just to let us know what's going on? In that case, what is Pam seeing and reacting to? Shouldn't she still be seeing Greg, so that statement comes out of nowhere for her? Unless she is seeing Dominic, in which case based on the first strip, I can only assume that Dominic just up and set up shop in Pam's head which... I really feel like that should be something you ask permission to do first, generally. The Deegan clan doesn't really understand boundaries, do they?

Also, did Mookie get into superhero comics here? Because those Chosen are cape characters, not even trying to hide the spandex.

yeah here i was just being bitchy I'll admit. it's dumb dialogue but as a joke not the worst. But yes, he is entering Pam's mind there, somehow, so he can be smug lol.

I'm fairly certain Mookie mentioned in a now gone blogpost that he was playing city of heroes at this time, which timeline-wise would line up as it was released in 2004. Snowsong is a straight up superhero in spandex when she comes back, so tha was definitely the inspiration he was working from.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Inktober has begun!

Does your drawing suck? Just cover it in spray paint texture to obscure the bad anatomy and no one will notice!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Does your drawing suck? Just cover it in spray paint texture to obscure the bad anatomy and no one will notice!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

lol good show, that took me a minute to notice

I wonder if that's who he traced this time

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Looks like it's Luke Goss.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 2, 2020

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Mookie should take Frankenstein's name out of his mouth until he learns to be better at literally everything to do with creating art.

Especially since he clearly means the novel's Adam, but he's writing and drawing far below the level of Karloff's charming rendition too.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Where is his dick?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

PoptartsNinja posted:

hahaah I was gonna say at least he didn't trace it but W O W

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Move the hairline back a few inches and you realize Mookie's just drawing Skullit after he fell in a mud puddle

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The Little Death posted:

Honestly that fight would have been fine to me had it not had the element of Dominic puppeteering Greg the whole time. Even if there was some weird mindscape thing where Greg was talking with himself! Anything but Dominic being the saviour.

I don't necessarily have an issue with him at the beginning, but he absolutely should have been knocked out of Greg's head earlier. It could have even been a whole thing where while Dominic is there he's getting Greg powerups and is able to hold his own, power-wise, but then dramatically Dominic is jarred loose and Greg has to use what he's already got in new ways. There's almost a sense of this at the end of the fight, but if that was how we were supposed to interpret that final sequence then it was barely developed at all. It's interesting the number of little tweaks that could be done that could massively improve the story and characters, that just weren't considered.

The Little Death posted:

I'm fairly certain Mookie mentioned in a now gone blogpost that he was playing city of heroes at this time, which timeline-wise would line up as it was released in 2004. Snowsong is a straight up superhero in spandex when she comes back, so tha was definitely the inspiration he was working from.

How... blatant.

PoptartsNinja posted:

loving :lol:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I just realized the eyes look all hosed up because he traced them - in the original shot, the actor has tons of black eyeshadow on, making his eyes look completely dark when closed... But Mookie didn't shade it, just copied the shape while keeping the eyes closed, the result being that the eyes look WAY too big, like there's huge stones under each eyelid, or there's just a mound of flesh where the eyes should be. The brows are too high and the actual eyelids are too low. Once again his tracing is undermined by his lack of understanding of anatomy.

Also, day 2 of Inktober, and Mookie is getting horny on the ink witch again:

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Oct 3, 2020

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
What the hell is this fetish even called

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Maxwell Lord posted:

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Maxwell Lord posted:

Ryona. Don't google it if you aren't already familiar; it will make you sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Invisible Clergy posted:

Ryona. Don't google it if you aren't already familiar; it will make you sad.

The ink allows plausible deniability, but those marks on her look awfully bruise-like...