Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Welcome to the flight sim thread. Here we talk about flight simulators of all kinds, associated hardware, and other things associated with flying.

Discord: AirGoons

Civilian Sims

Microsoft Flight Simulator X Olde. Also available on Steam!
Microsoft Flight Simulator (11/2020) The new hotness. Steam link.
X-Plane It's getting better Also available on Steam.
Prepar3D DON'T HAVE FUN WITH THIS! lol not on steam.

Military Sims
Il-2 Sturmovik: Great Battles (following from Shine): It had a pretty lovely launch, but they've put in a ton of work and turned it around. Still not at 1946's level for co-op/campaign stuff, but it's good poo poo (and has great VR support). Steam page
Digital Combat Series (DCS)
IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946
Wings of Prey
Rise of Flight Free to Play with 2 Planes, other planes are DLC
Strike Fighters 2 series/First Eagles Sim-Light, SF2 series is Jets from the 50s through the 70s, First Eagles is WWI. Apparently SF is being updated for Win10.
Over Flanders Fields - Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 3 required!
Falcon BMS, a free total conversion of the original Falcon 4.0 game from the 1990's, with a focus on the F16 variants in fully clickable and spergy cockpits. Used by many actual air forces. Basically, imagine DCS F16.

The thread for spergy and clickable military simulations, DCS World and Falcon BMS among them is here

Sauer posted:

DCS is like that really hot guy with a great body who's never had sex before, so he doesn't know what to do with his hands and blows his load in ten seconds so the fun ends quickly.

BMS is a guy who's been having sex for fifteen years and knows a million ways to surprise you and keep it fresh in the bedroom. But he's not very good looking and sometimes looses consciousness for no reason.

DCS is a pretty good looking game but the static packaged missions are fun once and you eventually run out of them. The dynamic campaign engine in Falcon is it's killer feature. Every game progresses differently; every mission proceeds differently; and you can watch this massive war going on all around you and you're just one dude stuck in it.

OH GOD I WANT MORE

Joysticks / Rudder Pedals / Other
***2020 HELLWORLD MODE! EVERYHING IS EXPENSIVE/LOW STOCK RIGHT NOW DUE TO COVID AND MSFS2020 BEING RECENTLY RELEASED***
CH Products - Expensive
Thrustmaster - Expensive / Affordable
Logitech - Expensive / Affordable. Mostly former Saitek designs now.
Honecomb. Expensive but top-tier quality.
GoFlight. Very Expensive. Worth it if you're building a total spergpit, though.
RealSimGear Affordable-ish. Also for spergpit builders, G1000, GNS430/530, GTN750, and various button/switch panels. MSFS2020 support is in beta as of September 2020.

This section stolen from an old Elite: Dangerous thread:

Rotation Confusion posted:

Joystick Hierarchy:

Thrustmaster Warthog: Very expensive ($400-500). Requires Pedals for yaw (+$50-100). Will last forever. Every button. Well made. Profile software designed by Satan.

CH Products Fighterstick Pro and Throttle: Expensive ($230ish together). Very solidly built, could knock down a house with them. Throttle is linear glide which some ppl love some ppl hate.

Saitech X-55: Expensive ($200). Great all around features. Iffy track record on durability. Plenty of buttons. Tech support terrible.

Saitech X-52 Pro: Mid-range ($150). Good features. Good track record on durability recently; bad at launch. Enough buttons. Black. Tech support terrible.

Saitech X-52: Mid-Range ($120). Good features. Good track record on durability recently; bad at launch. Has some plastic in places the Pro has metal. Enough buttons. Looks like a toy. Tech support terrible.

Thrustmaster 16000M: Cheap ($50). OK features, base is nice and heavy. Good durability. You will need to keyboard a lot of button commands.

Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS: Cheap ($40). Cheapest "hotas" and a good way to see if you'll like HOTAS. Not enough hats or buttons, so not equivalent to the above ones.

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro: Cheap ($30). OK features. Good durability.

Headtracking

Natural Point's TrackIR - Expensive
FreeTrack - Free / DIY
FaceTrackNoIR - Free / Experimental / Webcam-based

Civilian Sims
  • VATSIM - Virtual air traffic simulation network, works with Microsoft Flight Simulator series and X-plane (and others through some trickery), better than the lovely AI Air Traffic Control in FSX/FS2020.
  • VatStats - shows individual pilot statistics on VATSIM (only logs flights with filed flight plans).
  • Vattastic - Web-based VATSIM servinfo tool, shows who is online and where on VATSIM
  • Simroutes - Good for flight planning, some issues with SIDs/STARs.
  • VATSIM Chartfinder - US and Canadian airport charts (Canadian charts are out of date).
  • Skyvector - actual US IFR high, IFR Low and VFR charts, as well as airport charts. Also has generated charts for the rest of the world, but not as detailed.
  • Simbrief - Flight Planning, generates plan files for popular sims, also tells you how much fuel you should carry.
  • X-plane.org - Plenty of free add-ons for X-Plane + plenty of payware stuff.
  • Simviation - Lots of freeware add-ons for FS9/FSX.
  • PMDG - FSX/P3D Payware addons, namely Boeing 737-600/700/800/900, 747-400/400F, 777-200LR/F/300ER, BAe Jetream 4100 and McDonnell-Douglas MD-11. Insanely detailed. Expensive, but worth every penny. Expect to pay for upgrades

Military Sims
Combat Ace - Lots of addons for various Military flight sims

Other

SimHQ - Simulation news and forums for sperglords.
SelenicMartian's Strike Fighters 2 LP

FAQ

How do I turn on time acceleration in FS2020?
:frogout:

Thanks to pixelbaron for the formatting!

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
My airport seems to have sunk 2 miles into the earth.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Next week's DCS mission sign-up is go!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15Grz7yEp70GOFfjch3zD1mp2TpDStdapDdqNVTAOu6c/

It's the Combat Search And Rescue (CSAR) operation from two weeks ago, tweaked and modified based on player feedback!

An F-15E Strike Eagle has been downed in Iran. Pararescue is on the way, but they need the area to be clear. The SAM sites responsible for the incident are also being targeted, both to clear the way for the CSAR op and as retribution.

Note that the A10C II released this week, and therefore the A10C slots will be that version (barring any issues).

We'll try to accomodate if you want to fly but don't have any of the open aircraft. Just let me know!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Every update really does break something :wtc:

Like, a CTD on a core feature is not ok, it's not something you put at the end of your changelog like teehee yeah just avoid the VFR map, see you in 2 weeks!

It's not an internal beta, you can't expect end users to workaround issues they may not know about because not everyone reads changelogs.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Installing ground floor mods.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

My King Air is a little odd since the patch. It quickly goes into overspeed territory, almost like a Cessna citation speed-wise.

Additionally the wind shield wipers don't work anymore. You can still turn the knob but they won't move. They did start moving after I crashed the plane into a building, like in a dash cam video.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Here to huff jet a and drink 100LL

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Lord Stimperor posted:

My King Air is a little odd since the patch. It quickly goes into overspeed territory, almost like a Cessna citation speed-wise.

Additionally the wind shield wipers don't work anymore. You can still turn the knob but they won't move. They did start moving after I crashed the plane into a building, like in a dash cam video.

They don't work above a certain speed. They're mostly for slower speed / ground use. A320 limit is 230knots for example.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

skooma512 posted:

Every update really does break something :wtc:

Like, a CTD on a core feature is not ok, it's not something you put at the end of your changelog like teehee yeah just avoid the VFR map, see you in 2 weeks!

It's not an internal beta, you can't expect end users to workaround issues they may not know about because not everyone reads changelogs.

Playing this game is really giving me flashbacks to the early 90's when I would write down what would cause all my games to crash and when you had to click what to avoid it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

New thread title is pretty choice.

:discourse:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
While IL-2 1946 is an all-time classic and deserves mention in the OP, I'd suggest adding IL-2: Great Battles (i.e. Battle of Stalingrad/Bodenplatte/etc.) to the OP, as that that is its modern successor. It had a pretty lovely launch, but they've put in a ton of work and turned it around. Still not at 1946's level for co-op/campaign stuff, but it's good poo poo (and has great VR support).

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Shine posted:

While IL-2 1946 is an all-time classic and deserves mention in the OP, I'd suggest adding IL-2: Great Battles (i.e. Battle of Stalingrad/Bodenplatte/etc.) to the OP, as that that is its modern successor. It had a pretty lovely launch, but they've put in a ton of work and turned it around. Still not at 1946's level for co-op/campaign stuff, but it's good poo poo (and has great VR support).

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I SKIM OVER AND RECYCLE 8 YEAR OLD OPS.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
if what caused my flight to crash two hours in was the VFR map being open the entire time then i guess i can just go without that since i have navigraph installed anyway and it pulls the location in there in a better map

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Shipon posted:

if what caused my flight to crash two hours in was the VFR map being open the entire time then i guess i can just go without that since i have navigraph installed anyway and it pulls the location in there in a better map

That probably isn't it? I believe the VFR map crash happens when you try to open it. So keeping it open is actually the preferable option. I've had other crashes too while it was open, but they appear to be unrelated. One of the crashes happened when I got locked into looking at a point of interest and I was messing with my controller configuration in windows to see if it was sending any incorrect inputs, for instance.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I know it's different for every plane, but when approximately should one be switching fuel tanks between right and left?

Say a plane has 30 gallons in each tank, should we consider switching around 25, 20, 15?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

That probably isn't it? I believe the VFR map crash happens when you try to open it. So keeping it open is actually the preferable option. I've had other crashes too while it was open, but they appear to be unrelated. One of the crashes happened when I got locked into looking at a point of interest and I was messing with my controller configuration in windows to see if it was sending any incorrect inputs, for instance.

Yeah I had heard that was the way to prevent the crash so I opened it at the very start and kept it in a small window next to the upper left and I was just randomly approaching Fuji when the game suddenly froze and quit after about 5 seconds, no message or anything. I was trying to look up ILS approaches into Haneda (not sure if RNAV precision approaches are implemented properly yet) so i could plug that in but I don't think i had gotten to that point in game yet.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

Dramicus posted:

I know it's different for every plane, but when approximately should one be switching fuel tanks between right and left?

Say a plane has 30 gallons in each tank, should we consider switching around 25, 20, 15?

Often this is called-out in the POH for a particular aircraft if it doesn't feed from left and right simultaneously. I was taught to do it every 15 mins of flight, and switch to the fullest tank on approach.

EDIT: 15 mins is a rule-of-thumb kind of thing. Consider your fuel burn and weight and balance, if you're rolling left and feeding left, you probably want to check balance between tanks.

Gomez Chamberlain fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 1, 2020

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

cmpterjones posted:

Often this is called-out in the POH for a particular aircraft if it doesn't feed from left and right simultaneously. I was taught to do it every 15 mins of flight, and switch to the fullest tank on approach.

EDIT: 15 mins is a rule-of-thumb kind of thing. Consider your fuel burn and weight and balance, if you're rolling left and feeding left, you probably want to check balance between tanks.

I see, so for a general "video game rule of thumb" probably switching every 5-10 gallons should be ok. Thanks.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
In Mum's basement and LAX simultaneously.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
My rule of thumb is to forget about it and then suddenly remember, and see that there is a huge disparity between tanks and switch.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
So here's some interesting info on the hellworld that is the MSFS installer:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/...-002/184428/234

TL/DR: If you're installing the game and it keeps resetting an individual file's progress to 0%, it's because it's so bad at networking that you will have to artificially cap your bandwidth to ~500kb/sec. Once you've slowed yourself down to DSL speeds, it will work.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Kilonum posted:

Civilian Sims

Microsoft Flight Simulator X Olde. Also available on Steam!
Microsoft Flight Simulator (11/2020) The new hotness. Steam link.
X-Plane It's getting better Also available on Steam.
Prepar3D DON'T HAVE FUN WITH THIS! lol not on steam.

You linked to X-Plane 10 on Steam. Here's a link to X-Plane 11:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/269950/XPlane_11/

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

If I can commit to the urge I’ll start to compile a “heres good addons” list for MSFS. Even with some news and add on sites and an official marketplace it seems like the community is again going to refuse to coalesce in any one place and there’s already good poo poo out there that folks probably don’t know about.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

One of the crashes happened when I got locked into looking at a point of interest and I was messing with my controller configuration in windows to see if it was sending any incorrect inputs, for instance.

Yep, this is a new one. It's now auto focusing on POIs in some locations, and when it does that, game over. Doesn't seem to matter if you turn all of the "smart cam" options off, it'll still crash once you're close enough to trigger it.

That one hasn't made it to their CTD bug list on the zendesk, but these nuggets of brilliance have

quote:

Crash when ATC delegated to the Co-Pilot
Workaround: Turn ATC to AI OFF
Crash when Text-to-Speech settings is set to Azure
Workaround: Turn Text-to-Speech settings OFF
Some crash issues appeared after the latest Windows 10 version 2004 update
Solution: Reset or reinstall Windows.
:psyboom:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

From the last thread:

Not the Messiah posted:

Don't think this has been posted ITT yet - someone's made a free/pwyw bush pilot career mode tool thing - https://maugiroe.wixsite.com/neofly

Could be a jam if it's done right (especially as i'm too poor rn for OnAir)

This is kinda interesting, but right now it doesn't seem too different from OnAir/FSE except with fewer features. The more creative mission types seem to be in the minority of all the missions available, so most of the missions are just you flying people and cargo from airport to airport like usual. They even have an airliner qualification, which doesn't seem very bush flighty to me.

The 'pizza delivery' mission type where you basically airdrop goods by flying less than 500 feet over an objective is interesting in theory, but I have a feeling that you'll just do a normal flight to the delivery zone in any old plane, so it seems kinda pointless. They should make you fly slowly 50 ft over the ground at the objective or something instead. Just frisbee a pizza out your door/window as you fly by some dude's mountain cabin, why not.

Flying doctors to remote farms in the countryside is neat though, but most airports only have a couple of those missions available and they don't re-randomize ever, it seems. One of the "land in the middle of nowhere" missions it generated actually wanted me to land in the middle of an international airport, on the airliner apron lmao. Makes me wonder if it's possible for them to send you to the middle of a city. That'd be interesting, especially since it requires you to fly with crash/stress failures turned on.

Anyway, neat little app, but it doesn't seem too fleshed out yet.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Oct 1, 2020

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Dramicus posted:

When I instructed in airplanes without a "both" position on the fuel selector, I used the rule of thumb of "fuel selector is on whatever tank the minute hand of the clock points to" for cruise, and then switched to the fullest tank as part of the descent checklist.

Probably doesn't work as well in airplanes with digital clocks, and I think MSFS substantially exaggerates the rolling moment caused by uneven fuel burn, so go with whatever works for you.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Where buy honeycomb throttle quadrant

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

azflyboy posted:

When I instructed in airplanes without a "both" position on the fuel selector, I used the rule of thumb of "fuel selector is on whatever tank the minute hand of the clock points to" for cruise, and then switched to the fullest tank as part of the descent checklist.

Probably doesn't work as well in airplanes with digital clocks, and I think MSFS substantially exaggerates the rolling moment caused by uneven fuel burn, so go with whatever works for you.

Sounds like "fuel selector is on whatever tank the second hand of the clock points to" :colbert:

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

bird with big dick posted:

Where buy honeycomb throttle quadrant

Directly from Honeycomb. I'm going to guess that availability of that will be about the same as the new Nvidia cards.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Yeah it launched like roughly a month ago..? And I preordered later that same day and I’m due to receive mine sometime mid November and there were already several waves after my order.

I understand some percentage of their stock is going to partner retailers and those aren’t necessarily spoken for, but I don’t know when and how readily you’d be able to claim one.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

From the last thread:

This is kinda interesting, but right now it doesn't seem too different from OnAir/FSE except with fewer features. The more creative mission types seem to be in the minority of all the missions available, so most of the missions are just you flying people and cargo from airport to airport like usual. They even have an airliner qualification, which doesn't seem very bush flighty to me.

The 'pizza delivery' mission type where you basically airdrop goods by flying less than 500 feet over an objective is interesting in theory, but I have a feeling that you'll just do a normal flight to the delivery zone in any old plane, so it seems kinda pointless. They should make you fly slowly 50 ft over the ground at the objective or something instead. Just frisbee a pizza out your door/window as you fly by some dude's mountain cabin, why not.

Flying doctors to remote farms in the countryside is neat though, but most airports only have a couple of those missions available and they don't re-randomize ever, it seems. One of the "land in the middle of nowhere" missions it generated actually wanted me to land in the middle of an international airport, on the airliner apron lmao. Makes me wonder if it's possible for them to send you to the middle of a city. That'd be interesting, especially since it requires you to fly with crash/stress failures turned on.

Anyway, neat little app, but it doesn't seem too fleshed out yet.
Agree with all of this, it's certainly off to a promising start though. And I am enjoying flying with a purpose, just wish relocating wasn't so insanely expensive. To me the biggest advantage of this particular program is not having to register to anything, it's what's kept me away from FSE in particular. I hope they develop this further because it is a good bit of fun

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
What does the arrow actually indicate for wind direction when setting weather in Flight Simulator? Is it pointing against the wind or along it? I thought it was along the direction but the crosswind I created ended up having me pointing my nose the opposite of what I expected.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

JayKay posted:

Directly from Honeycomb. I'm going to guess that availability of that will be about the same as the new Nvidia cards.

nah definitely way way worse, most small sim hardware manufacturers have like 3+ month waits right now

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
i had to uninstall facetrackir to get past the "fly now" button, and if I change gamepad control schemes midflight the gamepad and mouse camera control stops working until I restart the program

cool and good

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Steadiman posted:

Agree with all of this, it's certainly off to a promising start though. And I am enjoying flying with a purpose, just wish relocating wasn't so insanely expensive. To me the biggest advantage of this particular program is not having to register to anything, it's what's kept me away from FSE in particular. I hope they develop this further because it is a good bit of fun

I've been wanting to join FSE for a month but the signups have been down :(

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

skooma512 posted:

I've been wanting to join FSE for a month but the signups have been down :(

If you've got a Communities (FSE forums) account, you can request a game world account, it's the Communities accounts that are being held up. Also I guess they've been testing a new fangled automated signup process for the last several weeks so... maybe in another month :(

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I didn't make any of the Honeycomb Throttle Quadrant pre-order windows. Looks like the 1st batch will be getting shipped end of this month and the 6th batch will be in week 49 of the year. drat...the more i play the more I wish i had a physical trim wheel.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Just buy one for $800 off eBay.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Having a trim wheel on my t16000 hotas is pretty nice. But I do sometimes accidentally spin it when putting my hand on the throttle and my plane suddenly noses down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
For anyone that just has a joystick like I did, the T16000m TWCS Throttle is in stock at B&H.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1331331-REG/thrustmaster_2960754_twcs_throttle.html