Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Zac seems really chill and he can fit in with any group so his guest spots have been good, obviously Brennan is good, I also liked Siobhan as Apple Scrumper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Yeah, I like how much Emily and Siobhan fun clearly have together one upping the absurdity of Crick culture.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I’m torn on Brennan as a guest. Deadeye was very cool and he played him great, but I didn’t really like how he was somehow attached to everyone the Band of Boobs knew. It made the world feel much smaller when this one dude had talked to everyone and been everywhere. His character was also very overpowered and turned the combats from fun to waiting for him to unload a heap of damage. His character in Rude Tales was much better.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

He basically played the same character archetype both times, superpowered legend who's way cooler than the main cast, the big difference is the tone of the world. NADDPOD is sincere, Rude Tales is sarcastic.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Nearly an entire week later and I'm still sporadically breaking out into "WE'RE THE BON FRÉRES AND WE'RE HERE TO SEND IT!!"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

timp posted:

Nearly an entire week later and I'm still sporadically breaking out into "WE'RE THE BON FRÉRES AND WE'RE HERE TO SEND IT!!"

"send it" has also found its way into my repertoire i hate to say

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Today's short rest gave some info on the next campaign, and it sounds pretty badass to me. Nothing on the characters and no in depth stuff but it sounded cool.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Someone a few pages back recommended "Game Changer" as another Dropout show, and I recently watched a few episodes of it on YouTube. Namely, the ones where Zac, Brennan and another guest end up having to make sound impressions. Which starts out simple, with instructions like "Cow" or "Frog", escalates a bit with animals whose sounds we're not as familiar with or are harder to actually get right like "Fox" and "Hyena", and then goes in to really loving surreal poo poo like "imitate the sounds of your parents arguing softly in the next room because you saw an R rated film" and "MTA voice-over becomes self-aware". It's some amazing stuff, and their improv skills really shine in that kind of weird format.

I also started watching a thing that isn't really a formal show so far as I can figure out (I don't see it listed on Dropout at least), but called "Don't Laugh News", which has about a dozen episodes on YouTube and where 4 or 5 College Humor folks play newsreaders, weathermen, sportscasters etc. who have to read out everything presented to them but with no idea what they're going to be fed and the challenge is to not laugh at the ridiculous poo poo they're given. With the episodes loser being the one who cracks most. There's an episode where they basically bust on one of the comedians, one Grant O'Brien, by reading out a series of embarrassing but true stuff about him, including making him read out a lot of it himself. Which, it's obvious the guy is embarrassed but that he thinks it's hilarious regardless. Or an episode where the entire group have to do ridiculous physical stuff while talking, with one anchor having to hold dumb-bells the entire time as he's continuously instructed to do YMCA moves, another has to talk with an O-ring type thing in her mouth the whole time, a third standing on a balance board and the last having party poppers constantly going off around him. Seeing them all try to maintain composure while doing it, and seeing them crack is great. Emily, Zac and Brennan star in a few of them at the very least, for people who just want NaDDPod stuff, though seeing them has made me at least more interested in some of the other College Humor guys.

I'm really heavily tempted to get a Dropout account now between Dimension 20, Umm...Actually, Game Changer and those skits. Also, maybe to make a Dropout thread in TV IV, since I don't see one and there appears to be some cool content that I maybe shouldn't be making GBS threads this thread up with. Regardless, whoever recommended Game Changer, thanks for the rec.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

tsob posted:

I'm really heavily tempted to get a Dropout account now between Dimension 20, Umm...Actually, Game Changer and those skits. Also, maybe to make a Dropout thread in TV IV, since I don't see one and there appears to be some cool content that I maybe shouldn't be making GBS threads this thread up with. Regardless, whoever recommended Game Changer, thanks for the rec.

That was probably me and I’ve got even more good news for you! That show is actually called “Breaking News” (get it?) and there’s 2 full seasons worth of episodes on Dropout. Sounds like you should definitely get it at this point!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Any other recommendations, out of interest?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

tsob posted:

Any other recommendations, out of interest?

I'm sure I've recommended several of these before but just so they're all in one place, here goes!

Um, Actually and Game Changer of course
Dimension 20, specifically Tiny Heist (the one with the McElroys), Season 1 (Fantasy High) and Season 3 (A Crown of Candy). It's all good but those are my personal faves
Total Forgiveness. It's incredible. It's a reality TV competition between two College Humor castmates, Grant whom you mentioned, and another one named Ally who is in D20, competing to get their student loans paid for. This is a must watch imo.
Rank Room is usually pretty funny and there are episodes with Caldwell, Brian, and Jake
Paranoia is like Werewolf with weed, it's great
Brennan's A Message From The CEO series is good but it's short

I've also watched Ultramechatron Team Go! and the occasional episode of Table Pop but idk if I'd recommend those as whole-heartedly as the above. And if you like DnD Brennan hosts a video podcast called Adventuring Academy where he interviews various DMs from other games and whatnot.

I gotta admit, It's a really great service! The put out some quality content. I'm not sure about its future what with College Humor going under earlier this year, but between new Um, Actually, Game Changer, and D20, I'm still getting my money's worth.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I actually watched one episode of Rank Room earlier, just because seeing how much Katie maintained while doing Breaking News made me interested in her (it's obvious she slows down her read just a bit to help stop herself from corpsing, but she still manages it really well) and that's a show she hosts, but it wasn't that great. It's certainly possible it was just a weak episode, but it was one where the cast were trying to come up with the worst way to break a pregnancy to someone and while there were some chuckles, it wasn't as laugh out loud fun as Umm...Actually or Game Changer. I'll definitely watch a few more episodes of it to get a better feel for the show though. I read some YouTube comments on several videos too, and it mentioned a few things about Grant I imagine are from Total Forgiveness, and which are certainly going to be a thing if they actually happen. So yeah, definitely gotta give that a shot too. Thanks for the recs.

Also, I've seen a clipshow of Table Pop already, where the cast were playing an RPG using breakfast cereal mascots in costume, with Brennan playing Tony the Tiger; and he went to some weird places using the character. I don't know that it'd be worth a watch of the whole thing since that clip didn't really show off anyone else and I'm not familiar with the other cast members of the show, but some of the RPGs they do sound like fun, with British Bake Off being another one that stood out from the listing I saw, so I'm interested at the very least.

tsob fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 4, 2020

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

There's stuff I want to check out on Dropout but I'm worried it'll just disappear at some point because of CH dying so idk

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
There is an episode of Breaking News that always gets me. It’s from last year and it’s with Brennan, Erika Ishii, Amy Vorphal, and the host of Um Actually and Amy attempts to do a face that prevents her from laughing but it backfires horribly.

Oh and the series where Ally and Grant do stuff in order to win money to pay down their student loans is pretty good

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

theCalamity posted:

Oh and the series where Ally and Grant do stuff in order to win money to pay down their student loans is pretty good

ally getting a tattoo of their girlfriend's name is one of the funniest things they've done

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

eke out posted:

ally getting a tattoo of their girlfriend's name is one of the funniest things they've done

Pretty much everything they did made them look great. It was pretty crazy

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
They had some video podcasts too, and I was extremely fond of Rekha and Jess's Erotic Book Club.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Not Operator posted:

They had some video podcasts too, and I was extremely fond of Rekha and Jess's Erotic Book Club.

They said that's coming back soon. The art for those is always hilarious.

theCalamity posted:

There is an episode of Breaking News that always gets me. It’s from last year and it’s with Brennan, Erika Ishii, Amy Vorphal, and the host of Um Actually and Amy attempts to do a face that prevents her from laughing but it backfires horribly.

I love that show, and they reference that face every time she's on the show afterwards. She's still terrible at not laughing.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Started listening to NADPODD around a year ago. The first arc was fantastic, but I lost steam after the drug city and Tonathon Tinkle-era episodes, and dropped it for a few months. Then I tried it again, and the show got really good for me up until around the Fey arc and I dropped it again. Then I got super into it again after picking it up and getting to the Vampire arc. From there, I experienced less problems with the campaign, and I'm now in the last few episodes and really enjoying it. Overall, I'd say that they're at their best when they're doing character humor and this is the only Actual Play where the combat is entertaining to me. Other thoughts:

-I love Caldwell Tanner's work. He seems like a sweet dude, and he started out as my favorite person on the podcast along with Emily. But in the end, I think I loved Jake the most. He found a lot of good comedy beats with his character, and it was Hardwon lines that actually got me to snort and laugh the hardest in the last third or so of the campaign.

-Am I dumb for losing track of NPCs? Murph would occasionally be like "it's none other than Gububriel," and the players would all audibly gasp, and I would have no recollection of the character. It may have something to do with the breaks I took or the fact that I never listened to any of the Short Rests (I've wanted to, I just haven't). I also had trouble with drifting out when Murph would get really dramatic and lose track of the story, but that may just be my actual adult ADHD.

-I think I really like this balance of how they handle combat versus story. Murph's combat seems challenging with cool gimmicks without getting too into guaranteed-wins like TAZ Balance or some of Critical Role's sloggier encounters. If I could pick a DM from any of that podcasts I've listened to that I'd like to actually personally play for, I think it'd be Murph.

-The side episodes are fantastic, as well as the Trinnyvale stuff they put in between Campaign 1 episodes (I know they go deeper into it after the finale). I had to stop listening to the Yugo episode at work and finish it later at home because I was always on the verge of busting up in front of my co-workers as the episode started degrading. I really like that they were able to go so off-script when so many podcasts are afraid to go to far off the tracks even in non-canon episodes.

-NADDPOD has probably the best guest characters of any of the casts I've listened to.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 6, 2020

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable
I still think back on the "Et Tu, Penis?" moment and chuckle to myself.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Wait...when was that line from?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Double posting to say that I signed up for Dropout earlier today and having just gotten around to actually looking through some of the stuff, holy poo poo there's more Umm...Actually than I was expecting. As in, there's a web series of about 10 episodes that started the show (all ranging from 5 to 11 minutes) and about 70 proper episodes across 3 seasons and some specials. That's way more than I was expecting. There's lots, lots more of Breaking News than I expected too. So if anyone is interested for either of those two shows in particular, it's probably worth a one month sub (which is about $5) just for that.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Plan Z posted:

I think I really like this balance of how they handle combat versus story. Murph's combat seems challenging with cool gimmicks without getting too into guaranteed-wins like TAZ Balance or some of Critical Role's sloggier encounters. If I could pick a DM from any of that podcasts I've listened to that I'd like to actually personally play for, I think it'd be Murph.

I think the combination of Emily being very good at D&D, Jake being very bad (well, new) at D&D, and Caldwell being very goofy at D&D in addition to Murph's rolls-with-silliness-but-demands-consequence style of DMing is the perfect balance for making D&D actually enjoyable to listen to.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

tsob posted:

Double posting to say that I signed up for Dropout earlier today and having just gotten around to actually looking through some of the stuff, holy poo poo there's more Umm...Actually than I was expecting. As in, there's a web series of about 10 episodes that started the show (all ranging from 5 to 11 minutes) and about 70 proper episodes across 3 seasons and some specials. That's way more than I was expecting. There's lots, lots more of Breaking News than I expected too. So if anyone is interested for either of those two shows in particular, it's probably worth a one month sub (which is about $5) just for that.

I don’t know if you mentioned it or not but also check out the Dimension 20 stuff. Fantasy High is possibly the most popular and the one they return to a lot (the main campaign, some live shows, and a live play) but the other seasons are really good. A Crown of Candy just finished and it was amazing

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I didn't mention the Dimension 20 stuff because most of it is already on YouTube. It also seemed kind of redundant to mention it in a thread that's gushed over Dimension 20 pretty regularly in the past. That said, I never even finished the first season so it's a good excuse for me to watch it, especially now I'm pretty much done with Campaign 1 of Critical Role (and have been current with Campaign 2 for ages now). I might just jump in at the latest season, Leviathan, since it's stand alone from what I can tell, and thebngo back and start from the beginning once that's wrapped.

tsob fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Oct 7, 2020

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

tsob posted:

I've been subscribed since the service came to the UK and I was constantly surprised by the raw amount of extremely watchable content they put out.

Though obviously it slowed down a lot after the whole lovely business thing.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Speaking of that lovely business thing: checking Wikipedia I see Sam Reich, which I think is the guy who hosts Game Changer, was allowed to purchase the company/rights after everything that went down, but I don't really see any indication on a quick search of how healthy Dropout or College Humor as a whole is since then; has there been any kind of update from the staff on how well it's doing since then or anything?

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

tsob posted:

I didn't mention the Dimension 20 stuff because most of it is already on YouTube. It also seemed kind of redundant to mention it in a thread that's gushed over Dimension 20 pretty regularly in the past. That said, I never even finished the first season so it's a good excuse for me to watch it, especially now I'm pretty much done with Campaign 1 of Critical Role (and have been current with Campaign 2 for ages now). I might just jump in at the latest season, Leviathan, since it's stand alone from what I can tell, and thebngo back and start from the beginning once that's wrapped.

Actually only some of it is on YouTube: all of the first season of fantasy high and Bloodkeep. There’s only a few episodes of the second season of fantasy high, and a few episodes of Unsleeping City. Just one episode of A Crown of Candy and no episodes of Tiny Heist. But you’re right, people gush about D20 all the time.

They also have some video podcasts that are good. They did a live one last year on twitch that turned out crazy. I think it was called the Chaos Stream. And there was Gods of Food that was really good, too.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

theCalamity posted:

Just one episode of A Crown of Candy and no episodes of Tiny Heist.

There is one ep of Tiny Heist on Youtube, but that's all.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

tsob posted:

Speaking of that lovely business thing: checking Wikipedia I see Sam Reich, which I think is the guy who hosts Game Changer, was allowed to purchase the company/rights after everything that went down, but I don't really see any indication on a quick search of how healthy Dropout or College Humor as a whole is since then; has there been any kind of update from the staff on how well it's doing since then or anything?

I don't know either, but I did find this fairly recent AMA where he answers a bunch of questions about future plans, how people are getting paid and stuff. and, obviously, jokes a bunch.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

I've never really listened, but I just found out Murph and Caldwell were on a recent Hello From the Magic Tavern, playing sad minotaurs.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I haven't read through the whole thing yet, but one of the first replies from that AMA does make it sound like Dropout is at least not losing them money and that things are going in the right direction:

Sam Reich posted:

In losing IAC, it was clear we needed to at first focus on our most popular shows -- "Dimension 20," "Game Changer," and "Um Actually" -- and see if that business was sustainable before doing more.

The good news is, it is. So we're experimenting with other stuff slowly but surely: Rekha and Jess's hilarious "Erotic Clubhouse," as well as some other yet-to-be announced stuff. We want to grow slowly and responsibly, with our eyes on the 10-year horizon rather than the 1-year horizon.

That aside, does anyone know what other podcasts Ify Nwadiwe has done? Now that I've watched a bit more of Umm...Actually he's one of the recurring guests that I've gotten most interested in and he mentioned at one point that he's hosted two Dragon Ball podcasts. I've found one or two others that he's a regular host on using Google and the search function in Pocket Casts (namely Who Shot Ya? and Nerdificient), but there's not really a good database that I've found to indicate exactly what work he's done in that area and I wouldn't mind listening to a bit of his stuff because he seems like a really charming dude.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

tsob posted:

I haven't read through the whole thing yet, but one of the first replies from that AMA does make it sound like Dropout is at least not losing them money and that things are going in the right direction:

That aside, does anyone know what other podcasts Ify Nwadiwe has done? Now that I've watched a bit more of Umm...Actually he's one of the recurring guests that I've gotten most interested in and he mentioned at one point that he's hosted two Dragon Ball podcasts. I've found one or two others that he's a regular host on using Google and the search function in Pocket Casts (namely Who Shot Ya? and Nerdificient), but there's not really a good database that I've found to indicate exactly what work he's done in that area and I wouldn't mind listening to a bit of his stuff because he seems like a really charming dude.

I think you can search Dropout by people (which is helpful if you’re looking for, say, the episode of Rank Room with Caldwell on it) and I know for sure he’s a cast member on Dimension 20 Season 2. The only other regular gig I know of his is Who Shot Ya which you already mentioned. I also heard him mention he’s guested on Tights and Fights, a wrestling podcast on Max Fun.

Hell, maybe try tweeting at him or asking a question in the Dropout Discord! That’s another benefit to all this content—the creators are reasonably accessible since the audience base is generally mature enough to not overstep boundaries. I told Zac Oyama I was a fan of his Twitch not too long ago :allears:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I don't use Twitter or social media in general personally, but I use Discord regularly for college course chat/help so I joined the Discord server and I'll try asking tomorrow; thanks for the tip. Also, to nominally steer the conversation back in to actual NaDDPod stuff: this week's Mixed Bag should have lots of campaign 2 information and will presumably be up in the next 24 to 48 hours, so that should be fun. The small bit of information they gave on the setting last week was interesting, and makes it sound quite different and darker in tone, which I know is what the cast indicated they wanted to go for so I wonder what kind of characters and classes they're rolling with this time around. Emily presumably hasn't gone buck wild with her character and created Binky Fiasco or her luche libre skeleton, but I'm sure she's managed to make something at least open to goofiness because I don't think she could ever drop that predilection entirely. I wonder if they'll be able to stick with a darker tone for the long haul (or want to, really) since the cast seem like they're just too playful and prone to hijinx for a darker setting and tone to stay dark and not to eventually have the cast getting up to some shenanigans that lighten things up a notch despite themselves.

tsob fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 7, 2020

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

tsob posted:

I don't use Twitter or social media in general personally, but I use Discord regularly for college course chat/help so I joined the Discord server and I'll try asking tomorrow; thanks for the tip. Also, to nominally steer the conversation back in to actual NaDDPod stuff: this week's Mixed Bag should have lots of campaign 2 information and will presumably be up in the next 24 to 48 hours, so that should be fun. The small bit of information they gave on the setting last week was interesting, and makes it sound quite different and darker in tone, which I know is what the cast indicated they wanted to go for so I wonder what kind of characters and classes they're rolling with this time around. Emily presumably hasn't gone buck wild with her character and created Binky Fiasco or her luche libre skeleton, but I'm sure she's managed to make something at least open to goofiness because I don't think she could ever drop that predilection entirely. I wonder if they'll be able to stick with a darker tone for the long haul (or want to, really) since the cast seem like they're just too playful and prone to hijinx for a darker setting and tone to stay dark and not to eventually have the cast getting up to some shenanigans that lighten things up a notch despite themselves.

I doubt they'll go full dark; they built an audience with the combination of goofs and drama they established over 100 eps of bahumia and I don't know how many episodes of side content, I don't think they're gonna take all that and go "guess what guys, the show's something else now" all of a sudden. They must know that lots of us are here for the laughs and plan to deliver.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Murph can certainly TRY to go full grimdark but there's not a chance in hell the rest of them let him by sheer force of Dumb Character Will

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
There's a notable difference between dark and darker. I'd also say that Murph did a good job keeping things morally complex throughout campaign one despite the 2-Crew's shenanigans. Yeah, Thiala and one or two of the other villains were pretty transparent in their evil shittiness, but a lot of the smaller villains arose as a consequence of past actions and weren't irredeemable or anything. The impression I get from what the cast have said is that they want a setting that's not as high-fantasy, with less explicit magic even if it keeps all the fantasy races, along with maybe a bit more consequence and complexity than they normally dealt with in campaign one. Which doesn't seem to be out of bounds, or something that they wouldn't be balance with hijinx.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Hmm... not sure how I feel about this news. Dark is not a tone I generally enjoy.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Dark can still be fun, like Rude Tales. They just need to stay away from Dark and Serious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

I wouldn't be too concerned. Emily's grim and rustic one shot was extremely dark in tone, but also still full of goofy poo poo.

Like Brennan introducing his character as a tall man, followed by Murph saying he's 6'6" or something, Caldwell revealing he's a seven and a half foot tall half-giant and Siobahn just retroactively jumping on the taller-than-Brennan bandwagon, all leading to the little speech he does about how in any average town, with any normal party, he'd be considered 'the tall one', and wild-shaping into an eight foot dire bear out of spite.

Or the group arguing over who got plague doctor masks.

Not Operator fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 8, 2020