Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
My wife and I were watching an old episode of Home Improvement where Jill beat up one of Tim's ratcheting screwdrivers trying to unjam a clog and my wife agreed with Tim because the hierarchy goes demolition screwdriver>harbor freight screwdriver>ratcheting screwdriver and the green handled screwdrivers I keep separate are only to be used if someone's life is in danger.

That said, I think the point of that episode was that Tim makes things seem overly complicated so he can feel important instead of actually teaching Jill how things work so she can do her own repairs, so he was wrong in a broader sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I don't know what I'm missing when it comes to screwdrivers I guess. I have some craftsman basic rear end screwdrivers and they're passable but I wish sometimes they were magnetic tipped. And the hard plastic grips didn't suck so much.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Suburban Dad posted:

I don't know what I'm missing when it comes to screwdrivers I guess. I have some craftsman basic rear end screwdrivers and they're passable but I wish sometimes they were magnetic tipped. And the hard plastic grips didn't suck so much.
https://www.kctoolco.com/wiha-40010-magnetizer-demagnetizer/

Wera's screwdrivers are really nice - the lasertips stay engaged really well, the grips are comfortable. They're pretty inexpensive and worth it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And apparently they shoot lasers.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'm a bit of a screw driver snob. Here's what I have in the shop.

Automotive: Snap-On, Vessel (JAP #1,2,3), and WERA Chisel Drivers
Wood: WERA Laser Tip, FELO Wood Handle
Metal: WERA Laser Tip
Electrician: WERA 1000V and Klien
HVAC-R and Plumbing: Klien
Solder/Hobby station: FELO soft grip and WIHA
Work kit: Craftsman Pro (2009?) and WIHA
Junkyard: Old worn out WERA's I'm too lazy to warranty.

Happy to answer any questions about brands.
(Don't tell my wife).

the spyder fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 30, 2020

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

the spyder posted:

I'm a bit of a screw driver snob. Here's what I have in the shop.

Automotive: Snap-On, Vessel (JAP #1,2,3), and WERA Chisel Drivers
Wood: WERA Laser Tip, FELO Wood Handle
Metal: WERA Laser Tip
Electrician: WERA 1000V and Klien
HVAC-R and Plumbing: Klien
Solder/Hobby station: FELO soft grip and WIHA
Work kit: Craftsman Pro (2009?) and WIHA
Junkyard: Old worn out WERA's I'm too lazy to warranty.

Happy to answer any questions about brands.
(Don't tell my wife).

The beauty of tools is they come in through the garage and go right to the toolbox. Where did they come from? How much did they cost? Nobody has to know.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

StormDrain posted:

The beauty of tools is they come in through the garage and go right to the toolbox. Where did they come from? How much did they cost? Nobody has to know.

IMO, as long as they're good buys, they don't really cost anything, because you make money with them, or save more by DIYing with your tools than it would cost to farm out.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

My partner frequently tells me in regards to tools to "just buy the good one, because I don't want to hear you bitching about it later".

I'll take it.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I wish Wera made a set of lasercut bits I could put in my existing 1/4" hex drive tools.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Krakkles posted:

Wera's screwdrivers are really nice - the lasertips stay engaged really well, the grips are comfortable. They're pretty inexpensive and worth it.

Getting the Big packs on sale they’re actually shockingly inexpensive, like four USD apiece here in Scandihoovia.

StormDrain posted:

Ask me about the two-month period where my wife only ever saw one of my Bosch laser levels at the time.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Krakkles posted:

My partner frequently tells me in regards to tools to "just buy the good one, because I don't want to hear you bitching about it later".

I'll take it.

Thats a keeper.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
drat you are making me want to spend on tools. I do think the first investment will be in a good range of Wera laser tipped screwdrivers. I sadly found the noname 1/4" ratchet (that drops bits all the time) that fell into the engine bay, so can't justify another just yet..

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
There's a guy I follow on our local eBay clone, selling many interesting tools. He just posted a straightedge which includes a picture of his very enviable garage:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

bolind posted:

Ask me about the two-month period where my wife only ever saw one of my Bosch laser levels at the time.

I had to read this a few times because there have been times where *I* only saw one of my laser levels at a time. It drove me nuts, because I always needed the other one.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

bolind posted:

There's a guy I follow on our local eBay clone, selling many interesting tools. He just posted a straightedge which includes a picture of his very enviable garage:

Harbor Freight screwdrivers spotted though. :(

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

nitsuga posted:

You're allowed to have some crap mixed in with the good stuff. That's the demolition screwdriver once you buy something better.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

nitsuga posted:

gently caress the screwdrivers and straight edge, that's like 8k worth of Lista cabinets.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Trash screwdrivers have their place as abuse tools.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Wrar posted:

Trash screwdrivers have their place as abuse tools.

+1

Cheap screwdrivers are the ultimate multi tool. screwdriver, pick, crowbar, stir stick, hammer, scraper, center punch, chisel, to name a few of it's many uses.

While my Wera's are much less versatile.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
*thinking about the time I used my screwdriver as a trellis while transporting a plant*

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Bajaha posted:

+1

Cheap screwdrivers are the ultimate multi tool. screwdriver, pick, crowbar, stir stick, hammer, scraper, center punch, chisel, to name a few of it's many uses.

While my Wera's are much less versatile.

It's true. Now that I look closer, I think the green screwdrivers are Weras, d'oh. I'll go abuse some of my cheap screwdrivers to repent. Carry on fellow tool nerds.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I wish Wera made a set of lasercut bits I could put in my existing 1/4" hex drive tools.

Me too, the diamond coated ones are pretty nice though:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A8QI3I2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I also bought a pack of these grooved ones that are nice (just not as nice as the laser)
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A8QW3YM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

sharkytm posted:

gently caress the screwdrivers and straight edge, that's like 8k worth of Lista cabinets.

Yeah that was what caught my eye too.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
So my fuel line repair kit arrived and I realised that I forgot to buy a pipe bend tool. So I'm looking at tools and they either state that they are for copper/aluminium/brass only. The Dorman fuel line repair kit has thin walled steel piping. Researching it further it seems like a ton of tools are bad... or perhaps hard to use which makes people give them bad reviews.
The prices also span from cheap to unrealistic.
I really don't want to ruin my replacement piece of line, and it does have to be bent as it needs to "tuck away".
So my question is, do I just go for a bender with the correct diameter, even though it doesn't specifically mention steel, or do I get something like the Eastwood bender for double the price?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

MrOnBicycle posted:

So my fuel line repair kit arrived and I realised that I forgot to buy a pipe bend tool. So I'm looking at tools and they either state that they are for copper/aluminium/brass only. The Dorman fuel line repair kit has thin walled steel piping. Researching it further it seems like a ton of tools are bad... or perhaps hard to use which makes people give them bad reviews.
The prices also span from cheap to unrealistic.
I really don't want to ruin my replacement piece of line, and it does have to be bent as it needs to "tuck away".
So my question is, do I just go for a bender with the correct diameter, even though it doesn't specifically mention steel, or do I get something like the Eastwood bender for double the price?

I can say this much, I bought a cheap one from ebay and. It. Is. Awful. High risk of folding steel fuel line over in a kink.

If I had to do it again I would buy a nice one and sell it on ebay after.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
See if someone you know has a Rigid or (LOL) Swagelok. Their benders are amazing, and have roller bearings to prevent kinking. I've got a Swagelok that I bought used on eBay. Spendy, but very very nice and can bend SS tubing with no problem.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I did the same job on a full size truck fuel filter (minor bends but S shaped on one) with the lovely one from harbor freight. I had to buy 2 house repair kits. :v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Those thin wall steel fuel line repair kits blow rear end to bend. Even with a good tool.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

sharkytm posted:

See if someone you know has a Rigid or (LOL) Swagelok. Their benders are amazing, and have roller bearings to prevent kinking. I've got a Swagelok that I bought used on eBay. Spendy, but very very nice and can bend SS tubing with no problem.

I eBay'd a set of swagelok in 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2". Overkill 10x.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

the spyder posted:

I eBay'd a set of swagelok in 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2". Overkill 10x.

I've just got my 1/4" for bending hydraulic tubing. It's a sweet piece of kit.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I sent one of my oldest and closest friends a photo of a DIY project and he said I owned too many drills/drivers. I was only using three! (I have a fourth that I wasn't using at the time.) I may need to break up this friendship.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
I recently bought a fourth drill/driver, a bosch 12V flexiclick set. I would highly recommend it, it's nice and compact and works great. I don't think my other drills / impact driver will be getting much use now.

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/12v-max-drill-drivers-gsr12v-140fcb22-187544-p/

I actually find the bare tool the most useful, no need to fiddle around to change bits as it is just a magnet job. Comes with the locking attachment though if you need it. Only downside so far is the elastic in the bag thing is pretty chintzy. One of them is starting to unravel already. You can cram a lot of extra poo poo in there alongside the drill parts so overall I do like the bag despite its failings.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
For a tube bender, you also might try a local auto parts place, oftentimes they have specialty tools for rent.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

One of my friends asked me if I had a drill and I think my response was something like 'I have at least 4 without going looking'

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

bobbilljim posted:

I recently bought a fourth drill/driver, a bosch 12V flexiclick set. I would highly recommend it, it's nice and compact and works great. I don't think my other drills / impact driver will be getting much use now.

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/12v-max-drill-drivers-gsr12v-140fcb22-187544-p/

I actually find the bare tool the most useful, no need to fiddle around to change bits as it is just a magnet job. Comes with the locking attachment though if you need it. Only downside so far is the elastic in the bag thing is pretty chintzy. One of them is starting to unravel already. You can cram a lot of extra poo poo in there alongside the drill parts so overall I do like the bag despite its failings.

I have the milwaukee version and I think it's great. It's my go-to for drilling/driving in the house (it's also my 8th drill/driver, I may have a problem)

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I was going to make fun of everyone for having too many drills/drivers, but then I remembered I have a fair number of them. I'm different though, I started cheap, then slightly better, then slightly better, then slightly better...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I can't remember how many I've got at this point. I keep trying to count and realizing I forgot one.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I've recently completed about 50 square meters of deck. Just the planks have something like 2000 screws in them, all required predrilled holes, often happening over two rounds.

If I did not have one drill for driving the screws and one for drilling the holes, I would have completely loving lost it. Just like grinders, being able to just grab what you need and go to town speeds things up so much.

(Two drills, one 1/4" hex impact driver, one 1/2" square impact here. Considering an angled drill.)

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I was thinking about getting this thing for my 2000sq ft deck and pier I need to deck. https://www.fastenersplus.com/Simpson-Quik-Drive-PRO300SD25K-Decking-System-Dewalt-2500-RPM-Motor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

bolind posted:

If I did not have one drill for driving the screws and one for drilling the holes, I would have completely loving lost it.

This is exactly how I first ended up with two drills