Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Any idea why 506 comes after 510?

Yes because that is what is important for whm :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Billy Gnosis posted:

Any idea why 506 comes after 510?

Yes because that is what is important for whm :colbert:

numbers probably go by recording order as opposed to release order

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

numbers probably go by recording order as opposed to release order

Fine I guess why did Saw need to be held back? As it sit too spicy for audiences and needing edits? . Did we need to space out the jamemaster appearances?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Billy Gnosis posted:

Fine I guess why did Saw need to be held back? As it sit too spicy for audiences and needing edits? . Did we need to space out the jamemaster appearances?

probably specifically being saved for Halloween, if I had to guess? :shrug:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I decided to watch Cool World before listening to the episode on it.

I've made a terrible mistake.

Holy poo poo, this movie is a piece of garbage. Like, I'm only 15 minutes in, but...what the gently caress IS this movie?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

What? Hell no, it's not

Species 2 isn't a good movie, but it's a pretty watchable bad one with a couple of really nifty gore/effects sequences (that loving head explosion holy poo poo), and the direct-to-SyFy sequels are orders of magnitude worse

Strongly disagree.

The other movies are bad for sure, especially in terms of effects. But II is, as I recall, by far the scummiest in terms of how the franchise look at and treat women. There’s a prolonged sequence where the make alien is desperately trying to rape a random woman who is very much not okay with it, and it’s extremely uncomfortable to watch.

Not to mention the fact that several women get their stomach ripped open from the inside in extremely icky fashion. Even for the Species franchise, II is loving vile.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

The only Species I've seen all the way through is The Awakening and it's just ridiculous sci-fi camp, so I'm hoping that they get to it eventually - plus I'd be able to cross another episode off on my Problematic Sci-Fi 4 movie DVD

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
WTF is Breeders?

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

clown shoes posted:

WTF is Breeders?

Ultra low-budget and horribly offensive sci-fi movie about an alien that rapes and impregnates women. Most infamous for a scene where the naked impregnated women sit around in a bunch of white goo.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

clown shoes posted:

WTF is Breeders?

It's about eighty minutes of women in various states of undress being kidnapped by aliens and made nude/nuder, culminating with a big naked green slime tussle in a kiddie pool covered in tarps

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
You could just get away with making actual movies out of your specific fetishes back then huh. Nowadays it's all under the weird tab.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

thrawn527 posted:

I decided to watch Cool World before listening to the episode on it.

I've made a terrible mistake.

Holy poo poo, this movie is a piece of garbage. Like, I'm only 15 minutes in, but...what the gently caress IS this movie?

Trip report: Cool World might legit be the worst movie I've ever seen. Every decision is bad. Every moment is unearned. It's was horribly ugly, horny, and just wrong in every way. And somehow still boring. I would struggle to even tell someone what the plot was. After all these years, wondering what the movie was like as a kid, I'm left thinking, "That was Cool World? Okay, I guess."

I have no idea what the guys will even be able to talk about. But I can't wait to find out.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Skeleton War 2020

Marin Karin posted:

You could just get away with making actual movies out of your specific fetishes back then huh. Nowadays it's all under the insane tab.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

drat! I couldn't remember what it was so I gambled and lost. Gonna go live in Cool World to hide my shame.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Hard Target was on TV last night so I watched my first Van Damme. Is there anything better than finding there's also a WHM episode on it waiting for you after? What a day.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BigglesSWE posted:

Strongly disagree.

The other movies are bad for sure, especially in terms of effects. But II is, as I recall, by far the scummiest in terms of how the franchise look at and treat women. There’s a prolonged sequence where the make alien is desperately trying to rape a random woman who is very much not okay with it, and it’s extremely uncomfortable to watch.

Not to mention the fact that several women get their stomach ripped open from the inside in extremely icky fashion. Even for the Species franchise, II is loving vile.

That's absolutely fair, but really, I just frankly feel like that's not much a franchise for someone who's worried about that. The whole franchise is basically predicated on looking at the rape metaphors in Alien and going "okay but what if we went REALLY unsubtle with it."

2 is absolutely the scummiest, but it's also the one that's got the most going for it if you can just shut that part of your brain up for a bit and dig some icky schlock. The other three don't even really work on that level.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

That's absolutely fair, but really, I just frankly feel like that's not much a franchise for someone who's worried about that. The whole franchise is basically predicated on looking at the rape metaphors in Alien and going "okay but what if we went REALLY unsubtle with it."

2 is absolutely the scummiest, but it's also the one that's got the most going for it if you can just shut that part of your brain up for a bit and dig some icky schlock. The other three don't even really work on that level.

I agree. As Angelica and Chris kept saying in the Species 1 ep, it's just as misogynist if not more so than Species 1 but at least it knows EXACTLY what kind of movie it is and embraces it instead of "pretending to be a real movie" like the first one. If you just want a schlocky hangover movie, you can do a lot worse.

Though I love how Michael Madsen once famously said the original Species was one of of the six out of the hundreds of movies he's made in his career that he's actually proud of (the others being Kill Bill, Free Willy, Thelma & Louise, Reservoir Dogs and Donnie Brasco) while he's so ashamed of Species 2 that for the longest time, it showed up on his official website accompanied by the words "Big Mistake" (now it doesn't even mention it at all).

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

jojoinnit posted:

Hard Target was on TV last night so I watched my first Van Damme. Is there anything better than finding there's also a WHM episode on it waiting for you after? What a day.

You're in for a treat. They're Hard Target episode is one of their all time best.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Finally listened to the Cool World episode and they are absolutely on fire. Just so much good stuff but Pancake Gabby might be one of my favorite quick jokes they have done

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I haven’t finished the episode so I don’t know if they come back to it but I’m with Eric and don’t like animation but I think the director they’re wondering if exists that is adult animation without being overly edgelord is Satoshi Kon

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
I am really not a fan either and legitimately had no idea this movie or any of these other movies they are talking about ever existed and I am ok with that.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

Trip report: Cool World might legit be the worst movie I've ever seen. Every decision is bad. Every moment is unearned. It's was horribly ugly, horny, and just wrong in every way. And somehow still boring. I would struggle to even tell someone what the plot was. After all these years, wondering what the movie was like as a kid, I'm left thinking, "That was Cool World? Okay, I guess."

I have no idea what the guys will even be able to talk about. But I can't wait to find out.

I have to ask: was it worse than Cats? :v:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

AceOfFlames posted:

I...god dammit, I'm not sure. Hell, most of my description above would even apply to Cats as well.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

I...god dammit, I'm not sure. Hell, most of my description above would even apply to Cats as well.

That answers my follow up question: "Is Cats the Cool World of the 2010s?"

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Hey guys, anyone know the line-up this month? I want to watch them to get into the spooky mood. I know the WLM is Texas Chainsaw 2. Did they reveal the others? The BDD sometimes goes mysteriously to my junk folder still.

E: Also I feel really bad for Brendan Fraser - reading about all the injuries he suffered and hardships etc. makes me feel for the guy. However, Monkeybone is not good. The guys sometimes confuse affectation to a certain actor to excuse some movies. Ever watch an old episode where they say "X is NOT an episode, it's fine!" and then it's an episode 2 years later.
E2: IDK why i didn't check the patreon for the line-up.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 1, 2020

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Skeleton War 2020
To be fair, I would have plenty of nice things to say about Monkeybone if I were otherwise discussing Cool World.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
In relation to Cool World the best thing that I can say about it is that it does the concept of a creator entering his own horny world better. The movie is really loving ugly and mean, and it's Brendan Fraser at his most manic and forehead-sweaty which I don't like compared to bronze tan square jaw man he puts on in other movies.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

AceOfFlames posted:

Yes.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Yeah, its unfortunate that adult animation in the west is almost exclusively HERES SOME SUCKIN' AND FUCKIN'

Like most of the shorts in that Love Death Robots compilation felt like the animators were jacking off while making them.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 1, 2020

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I saw Cool World in the theater because I won tickets for it off the radio by answering a trivia question (the answer was Ben Franklin, i do not remember the question...).

I was 13. My mom had to pick the tickets up and I have no idea why they let a 13 year old win tickets for that movie.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

enigmahfc posted:

I saw Cool World in the theater because I won tickets for it off the radio by answering a trivia question (the answer was Ben Franklin, i do not remember the question...).

I was 13. My mom had to pick the tickets up and I have no idea why they let a 13 year old win tickets for that movie.

No one else wanted to call in

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Iron Crowned posted:

No one else wanted to call in

That's how I won a pair of ICP action figures. Delivering pizza at 2am and the DJ clearly wasn't getting any callers.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

When I was little, my dad got some (free?) movie posters from a local video rental store. I believe we had 3 or 4 on the walls in our basement. One was Darkman III, one was Cool World, and I don't remember what the other ones were. I never saw the movie, but I always knew what the movie was.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

enigmahfc posted:

I watched it with my parents when I was probably 7ish and they rented it. My mom liked Brad Pitt and I think they didn't know much about it. I fell asleep during it which was probably for the best, so I can't blame it for anything.

I do know they didn't end up buying it on VHS and my mom bought every movie she remotely liked at all eventually used from blockbuster for cheap. Every movie. We had multiple copies of wing commander because she forgot she owned it. Too bad my dad threw most of them out after she died. I could have mailed them all to the jame master

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 1, 2020

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

My sole experience with calling into radio trivia landed me and my dad tickets to a preview screening of xXx. One of my greatest regrets is that I no longer have the xXx-branded frisbee that I got at the theater. I lived for that poo poo.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Maybe it's unfair to make this comparison, but I'm 12 minutes in and the quality difference between this and Who Framed Roger Rabbit is astounding.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

Who Framed Roger Rabbit is already in my top 10, but compared to Cool World it's loving Citizen Kane.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
e: wrong thread

clown shoes fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 2, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I'm not sure this meets the 10 year rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clown shoes