Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I like my google fi account and haven't had any issues. My husband and I are both on it and its significantly cheaper than any other plan. Probably because we use 95% of our data through either our home or work wifi so its super cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

When the iPhone was first available, exclusively on AT&T, their billing systems were a bit antiquated.

Apple insisted on unlimited data, and the customers got it, but the bills faithfully enumerated every bit from every connection made in the last month. People got entire reams through the post for a month or two till AT&T reconsidered their procedures.

It’s kind of funny how the iPhone and flip phones existed at the same time. I remember always frantically panic closing the phone browser when I accidentally opened it because the data charges for those kB would start piling on right away.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Alterian posted:

I like my google fi account and haven't had any issues. My husband and I are both on it and its significantly cheaper than any other plan. Probably because we use 95% of our data through either our home or work wifi so its super cheap.

Yeah, this is pretty much why I'm sticking with Google Fi for now. I don't even use the cell phone itself a whole lot either, I could probably get away with sharing my roommate's landline (yeah, I know).

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s kind of funny how the iPhone and flip phones existed at the same time. I remember always frantically panic closing the phone browser when I accidentally opened it because the data charges for those kB would start piling on right away.

Or even the iPhone and every other smartphone prior to 2008. I always had HTC Windows Mobile phones and the designs were bananas since no one had figured out how to make a smartphone without a keyboard.

I almost got this.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I almost got this.

Bullet dodged, the Samsung Cataract was a complete failure.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I miss having a slide out keyboard tbh

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Any keyboard can be a slideout keyboard if you believe

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Iron Crowned posted:

I miss having a slide out keyboard tbh
If, like me, you're insane enough to miss it several hundred dollars worth there is an option. I currently use their clamshell keyboard phone, don't let the crowdfunding fool, you they're a legit company.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/astro-slide-5g-transformer/

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Anyone want my HP Palm phone?

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Rust Martialis posted:

My Treo is still one of my favorite phones ever.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Alterian posted:

I'm still on Fi for the moment but there are cheaper options than $20 plus expensive data. Mint resells T-mobile and if you pay yearly the plans start at $15 with 3GB built-in. I guess it lacks roaming in certain areas.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

snoo posted:

dish wants to kick non-profitable customers off of boost

I was with virgin mobile for over a decade then got shunted to boost when they shut down, looking forward to losing my mobile service for being a poor

Same, I was with a regional piggyback carrier for nearly a decade when Sprint bought them (and had a flip phone until 2017), and it was easier stay put on Boost than to find another budget service. I guess I might have to prepare myself for that eventuality now? There's a small carrier in my area that does a pay-only-for-what-you-use deal, I might check them out.

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:

Alterian posted:

Likewise. I think I've been on Fi for like 5 years now? Sure the phone selection is a bit limited if you want all the features but it's not like they force you to get the super premium flagship phones.

Also it worked flawlessly without any additional charges when I went to the UK and Japan so I'm all for it, even if it is just reselling Sprint.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Rust Martialis posted:

I miss Palm. I still have a few Palm microUSB cables with the silver discs floating around. They’re a lot more useful than the WebOS phones they came with that can’t be activated anymore.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I have no issue with the phones for Fi, it's just the loving coverage ranges from okay to nope you can't even text or keep a call going. In metro loving Phoenix.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Rags to Liches posted:

My Treo is still one of my favorite phones ever.

The Treo 650 is the phone I wish I had owned, but never did.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Segmentation Fox posted:

Likewise. I think I've been on Fi for like 5 years now? Sure the phone selection is a bit limited if you want all the features but it's not like they force you to get the super premium flagship phones.

Same, about 3 years for us since ditching lovely ATT. There have only been a couple of places with poor reception, and those are in rural Michigan. I'll hang on to Fi until they shut down or service gets crappy - for the price, the service has been great.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

90s Solo Cup posted:

The Treo 650 is the phone I wish I had owned, but never did.

That's what I have. It was such a good phone. Palm had a great run and HP killed them.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Rags to Liches posted:

That's what I have. It was such a good phone. Palm had a great run and HP killed them.

Well , Palm had a great run of software that was hindered by their first WebOS phone having hardware that crumbled in your hand, with very bad marketing , and making the mistake to sign exclusively with Sprint with the Pre.

I loved Palm and WebOS , but yeah, there’s a reason they had to sell to HP (who then ruined it).

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Duckman2008 posted:

Well , Palm had a great run of software that was hindered by their first WebOS phone having hardware that crumbled in your hand, with very bad marketing , and making the mistake to sign exclusively with Sprint with the Pre.

I loved Palm and WebOS , but yeah, there’s a reason they had to sell to HP (who then ruined it).

I skipped from a Palm V in the early 2000s to my Treo so I missed a lot of the early WebOS stuff, but you're right. They made some terrible decisions, especially the move to sign with Sprint. I'd kill for a PDA like my old Palm V nowadays.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

A lot of federal hiring aid is expiring so expect to see more of this

https://twitter.com/orlandosentinel/status/1311051552455626753?s=21

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

A lot of federal hiring aid is expiring so expect to see more of this

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1311474967247282177

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm sure this will be handled with quick decisive action by our elected legislators.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Apparently the XFL is unkillable

https://twitter.com/xfl2020/status/1311654749222043648?s=21

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
The XFL is like Nibiru or whatever, its return signaling an upcoming cataclysm. First it told us about 9/11, then covid-19. I'm assuming in 2022 the Earth's magnetic field will weaken enough for the solar wind to strip the ozone layer.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Solar flare destroying electronics is my bet.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Honestly the Rock buying it is probably the best chance it has to succeed.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

I am so tired of the air carrier industry needing to be bailed out every time poo poo gets rough, and as we see here, bailed out twice.

They should have saved up for a rainy day like the people keep getting told. Planes are a terrible waste of energy, find a better way.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Carrion Luggage posted:

I am so tired of the air carrier industry needing to be bailed out every time poo poo gets rough, and as we see here, bailed out twice.

They should have saved up for a rainy day like the people keep getting told. Planes are a terrible waste of energy, find a better way.

I'm trying to think of how a metal tube full of human disease vectors spewing hydrocarbons into the upper atmosphere is critical to something right now.

Otherwise I couldn't get across our hellscape flyover states because I'm bi-coastal baby.

Just die at home, everyone else is.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Carrion Luggage posted:

Planes are a terrible waste of energy, find a better way.

Put people in existential crises until they spontaneously develop teleportation, imo.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

tight aspirations posted:

Put people in existential crises until they spontaneously develop teleportation, imo.

That's kind of what happened in The Stars My Destination.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Carrion Luggage posted:

They should just let everything fail so we can really see what the hell world people are pretending they live in now would actually be like.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

AceOfFlames posted:

I thought the teleportation came before the existential crisis

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Volmarias posted:

I thought the teleportation came before the existential crisis

Didn't the first guy jaunt after facing death in some specific way?

But yeah, the real existential crisis came later. Still a fascinating book despite it being hideously problematic like most classic sci-fi.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

AceOfFlames posted:

Didn't the first guy jaunt after facing death in some specific way?

But yeah, the real existential crisis came later. Still a fascinating book despite it being hideously problematic like most classic sci-fi.

Oh, yeah, sorry, I'm used to thinking of existential crisis in the format of "why am I self aware and conscious and what's the point" not "oh gently caress, certain death, time to wish REALLY hard about that other spaceship"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Solice Kirsk posted:

They should just let everything fail so we can really see what the hell world people are pretending they live in now would actually be like.

I mean they should let everyone fail because that’s kind of how the economy is built.

Instead we have weird shambling corpses that just gives upper management money periodically

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Carrion Luggage posted:

What’s really interesting about this as well is that the airlines are charging 2x to 3x the normal rates for people that are currently flying.

They are also hauling a lot of cargo too.

I’m sure they are taking a hit but I’m not so sure it’s gloom and doom.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

What’s really interesting about this as well is that the airlines are charging 2x to 3x the normal rates for people that are currently flying.

They are also hauling a lot of cargo too.

I’m sure they are taking a hit but I’m not so sure it’s gloom and doom.

We've flown some since the pandemic hit and prices have been alright. Car rental prices are outrageous though. I guess they know if you're renting a car right now you are probably price inelastic.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

AceOfFlames posted:

I usually have to read at least a couple of posts before I find out that someone already made the super-clever joke or reference I had in mind. Thank you for ripping the Band-Aid off quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Carrion Luggage posted:

Theyy always jack up prices and add fees and make things worse during every crisis "just till we get through ---------". And then of course -------- passes but the fees and other poo poo don't stop. gently caress them. They're loving terrible.