Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

NOTICE: As of recent revelations, most of this information is no longer relevant. This is not an adaptation of the original Higurashi story, nor should it be approached as one. If you have no experience with the original story of Higurashi, then please proceed with caution. All information that still pertains to Gou Sotsu has been left highlighted at the bottom, under Section N-H.

What is Higurashi?
In 1983, Keiichi Maebara, a Japanese city boy, moves to the rural village of Hinamizawa. Shortly after arriving, he quickly meets and befriends four local villagers at his school; the reliable and cunning Mion, the lovable and all-powerful Rena, the impish and confident Satoko, and the gentle young Rika. Together, they all play and have fun with each other every day, making great memories of their quiet lives in the countryside. They truly, are creating the greatest days of their youth together.

However, Hinamizawa is an old village. Old enough to have many secrets. And when those secrets are dug up out of the grave... who can say what will happen to these peaceful days they share?

What shadow looms over this village, and will these happy memories, only end dyed in the darkest of ink?

Welcome to Hinamizawa.

Okay, but what is Higurashi?
Starting as an independently developed horror-mystery sound novel written by Ryukishi07 and released in 2002, Higurashi was a hit, leading to an anime adaptation in 2006. This older anime, hereon referred to as old Higu, caused the series' popularity to explode even more, and is responsible for much of the series' presence in the west. But while old Higu is often viewed as a classic of the medium, it's far from perfect. Personally speaking... I think the first season of the old show was not very good. It's more commonly criticized for its choppy, unappealing animation, but more severely it suffers from rushed pacing and frequent cuts--i'd say roughly 30-40% of the first six chapters was cut out, if not more. Much of what was cut in the old show is vital to understanding not only the characters, but some foundational aspects of the mysteries presented in the story. As someone who started with the vn, I can understand why the old anime is as important as it is to the series' popularity... but it's my hope that this new anime will do a better job animating the story.

As for the vns themselves, well. Higurashi is a contender for my favorite vn of all time, if that says enough.

As for later When They Cry games, like Umineko and the currently running Ciconia, they are well worth reading, but their stories are not closely relevant to Higurashi, so don't worry about that.

Should I read the VNs, then?
The first chapter is free on steam currently, so if you want, I'd say yes! Just don't spoil things for anyone in this thread, cause this is the 2020 anime thread. Anyone who posts spoilers for things that this adaptation hasn't gotten to yet will have to play a punishment game... is what I'd say if I had the power to inflict that, but even though I'm the op of the thread I'm not technically the ADTRW club leader, so I'll just ask you not to do it.

When does it start airing?
October 1st. Whether that'll be October 1st in Japan and thus a day early or October 1st here and thus a day or so from this thread, I dunno. It was gonna air earlier in 2020 but then, covid.

Isn't there a new mobile game, too?
It exists. I like some of the sprites in it. You might not wanna poke around it until you've seen the full original story, if you even know enough Japanese to play it at all.

Can I discuss my own theories about the mysteries presented in the show?
I dunno if this is a question anybody will feel a need to even ask, but go ahead. It was originally a mystery game, after all. It wants you to think and discuss!

Section N-H

What is Nipah?
Hau~!

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jun 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
satoko and rika looking 5'11" in that key visual

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Oh boy, here we go again :unsmigghh:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
:siren: Also, I'm going to ask that people talking about future events use spoiler tags and mark if they're VN spoilers, manga spoilers, or old anime spoilers for new viewers :siren:

Thanks

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I have pretty high hopes for this adaptation. It's going at a slower pace so it may be able to retain more of the ideas from the game

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Oh dang. They're readapting it? It is weird looking at these characters with 2020 designs.

Wonder if this means we'll see the rest of Umineko animated at some point.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm excited to be welcomed to Hinamizawa again.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I have pretty high hopes for this adaptation. It's going at a slower pace so it may be able to retain more of the ideas from the game

Is this confirmed? Spending more time on the arcs would be the only reason for me to check it out.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Can't find the article but I remember reading the first 13 episodes would cover the first two arcs (8 episodes in the 2006 anime).

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I rewatched and finished the entire series after the SINoALICE collaboration was announced and thought it held up. I didn't even realize there was going to be a remake until I checked to see if I watched all the stuff outside of the main two seasons.

Only thing I hope for is that the animation and character design doesn't look super weird like in the last OVA.

https://i.imgur.com/U9AjvvA.gifv

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Can't find the article but I remember reading the first 13 episodes would cover the first two arcs (8 episodes in the 2006 anime).

Nice, I'll put it on the list of things to check out later.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
I've only experienced Higurashi via the 2006 adaptation, so I'm looking forward to this and hoping it does a good job!

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHT_qB9AfJw

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I loved the 2006 anime, esp s2, and if this is a more faithful adaptation I'm sure I'll love it even more.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I hope the song "you" actually gets used this time.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's bizarre that the old anime never used it despite having multiple different vocal album versions of it being sung by different characters. they did kinda also chop out the very first major scene where it plays though

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Old series vague event spoiler thing: I was on the fence with this off the gaddang wall show when it originally aired, but I watched week to week and I was absolutely sold when the rooftop confrontation....thing? went down at the end of the first season. It was so out there, something in me just snapped and I was suddenly 100% on board with whatever happened next.

This series is fun, even when it's not.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Gonna check this out basically blind. I think I remember hearing about a murder but I don't remember any details. Looking forward to peaceful days!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

esselfortium posted:

I've only experienced Higurashi via the 2006 adaptation

Same, and I absolutely loved it way back when.

Hopefully this one's great.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
I had no idea there was a remake of this coming. I'm absolutely hyped for Keiichi and pals.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I have no idea if Shaft Passione will do Higurashi better than Old Higu.

I mostly remember the emotional distorted faces.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 1, 2020

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Grouchio posted:

I have no idea if Shaft will do Higurashi better than Old Higu.

I mostly remember the emotional distorted faces.

if all you remember of old higu is the emotional distorted faces, that is why old higu did not do a great job

also this adaptation is being done by studio passione, not shaft. it just has character designs by akio watanabe

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The Colonel posted:

if all you remember of old higu is the emotional distorted faces, that is why old higu did not do a great job

also this adaptation is being done by studio passione, not shaft. it just has character designs by akio watanabe
Understood. Hope this goes well.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

apparently they're running back the original OP song which was my only demand

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Tales of Woe posted:

:getin:

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
Saw the first episode, having read most of the VN (comparison) I felt the episode (especially the end) pushed the tone from mysterious and unsettling to overtly threatening a little too fast

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Yak of Wrath posted:

Saw the first episode, having read most of the VN (comparison) I felt the episode (especially the end) pushed the tone from mysterious and unsettling to overtly threatening a little too fast

(comparison) yeah i already dunno how to feel, some of the changes they're making work well, but others like skipping the card game, and the end stinger, feel unnecessary and unfitting. it feels like it's making up for some of the faults of the old anime but still falling into others, especially with how they still skip keiichi's monolog during the very opening shot. i don't think a lot of higurashi adaptations understand how important that monolog is to setting up the themes of onikakushi

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 1, 2020

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I watched the anime but never played the game. Is this new one doing something that the old adaptation wasn't able to do? Or is it just the same story with better animation? From the last few posts it sounds like it's not paced well, but I guess the original one had some pretty bizarre pacing itself.

Argue fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 1, 2020

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It has better animation, and the old adaptation made some weird decisions that the new one hopefully won't (eg putting 6 arcs into the first 26 episodes and 2 into the other 26).

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
K1 looking like a thalidomide baby in that first shot in his futon.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The Colonel posted:

(comparison) yeah i already dunno how to feel, some of the changes they're making work well, but others like skipping the card game, and the end stinger, feel unnecessary and unfitting. it feels like it's making up for some of the faults of the old anime but still falling into others, especially with how they still skip keiichi's monolog during the very opening shot. i don't think a lot of higurashi adaptations understand how important that monolog is to setting up the themes of onikakushi
So would you say this first episode was better or worse than Old Higu's first episode?

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I watched the first one when I grabbed it off my college's FTP server way back when, so I'm down for a remake. Rena always freaked me out then and I wonder if I'll react differently this time around to the Mion/Shion stuff.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Grouchio posted:

So would you say this first episode was better or worse than Old Higu's first episode?

I think it's hard to draw broad conclusions about the quality of the first episode without seeing how the rest of the season is paced and adapts certain elements. There's no need to rush to come to a consensus that it's better or worse than the old adaptation, so my advice Is to chill and just enjoy it on a week to week basis :cheers:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Tales of Woe posted:

I loved how they did that.

Yak of Wrath posted:

Yeah. I appreciated that they had bits and pieces of weird poo poo, but then jumping straight to Rena was not really what I was expecting. I'm curious how they'll do the rest of it.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Are they rereleasing Higurashi no naku koro ni or something?

EDIT: I should just read the OP more closely! Totally onboard for this. Loved the 2006 series!

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 2, 2020

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if that shot at the end of the first episode is a subtle nod to the fact that this is a remake and Rika is just experiencing this fragment again for the nth time and if they'll lean into that or not

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Big Scary Owl posted:

I wonder if that shot at the end of the first episode is a subtle nod to the fact that this is a remake and Rika is just experiencing this fragment again for the nth time and if they'll lean into that or not

I said it in the Digimon thread, and I'm going to say it here. Every remake coming out of Japan is legally required to be a timeloop.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
From what I (badly) remember that's basically around where the first episode 2006 ended so I wonder if they will spread it some of the setup/lowkey stuff in subsequent episodes that was originally skipped over because otherwise what are they doing with the extra episodes.

It was nice to hearing Satsuki Yukino as Mion again, it feels like it's been forever since I heard her in something (Gaen in Monogatari I guess).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I wish there were some more buildup scenes left in but I've liked the direction so far. The characters popped and felt more 'alive' to me in ep1 compared to the old series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Finished my first Umineko readthrough recently, excited to revisit Higurashi! Agree with the (VN comparison) missing scenes, if they really are adapting 2 arcs in 13 episodes skipping them doesn't feel necessary. Keiichi's monologue not being there is a shame, but I'm hoping they include it later when it has more context surrounding it. A 1 to 2-minute monologue right at the beginning of the first episode might turn people off the anime, grisly murder on screen or no.