Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
My Costco had those awesome giant pot pies today.

Fair warning, it only needed half the cooking time than the directions stated. Almost had my third kitchen disaster of the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

ROJO posted:

Yeah what the hell is wrong with half this thread? Do you use belt-sanders to scrub your pans?

I've had the same non-stick All-clad LTD fry and saute pans for more than 11 years; they are just now starting to fail, and they belonged to my parents before we got them. Don't use metal utensils, don't use green scotch-brite, and don't overheat them. They last a long time.

That said, I tend to use other things instead of non-stick these days, but holy hell the idea of just replacing the pans every year because they are failing means you are treating them like poo poo (or they were poo poo pans to begin with).

I have an All-clad stainless steel skillet. It is not what I consider non-stick. Like I love the pan, but when I read non-stick I think of the coated pans which if you scrub them you will remove the coating.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

ROJO posted:

Yeah what the hell is wrong with half this thread? Do you use belt-sanders to scrub your pans?

In my case my wife took over putting away dishes and in some premature optimization she started stacking the non-stick, placing the smaller one in the larger one... and putting a metal steamer in the smaller one. They got scratched to poo poo, but it wasn't the non-stickiness that concerned me, it was the spots where I could clearly see the non-stick was flaking off. It's probably too late for me; I'm already dead. My insides are now non-stick.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

Who posted about the super inexpensive cat trees/condos? I've checked their website and they're drastically more expensive than Amazon, Chewy and even PetCo. Do ya have a direct link?

I swear I saw one for $500. It was the size of a pallet and like 6 feet tall. I have not yet found the picture I took of it, but I shall keep digging.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

phosdex posted:

I have an All-clad stainless steel skillet. It is not what I consider non-stick. Like I love the pan, but when I read non-stick I think of the coated pans which if you scrub them you will remove the coating.

Yes, and I am specifically talking about teflon coated non-stick pans. You can scrub them if you use the right scrubbers (like blue scotch-brite).

The bulk of my pots/pans are stainless All-clad LTD, those are completely bullet-proof, but are definitely not non-stick.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I bought one of these bad boys last spring, cat loves it.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

fischtick posted:

It's probably too late for me; I'm already dead. My insides are now non-stick.

I heard an anecdote about the EPA or someone trying to do a study on the effect of Teflon getting into the fold supply via non-stick pans.... Apparently they had to cancel it because they couldn't find a control group that didn't already have Teflon in their bloodstream

PTFE is called a "forever chemical" for a reason - it is very very hard to react with the molecules which is part of why it's so durable and non-stick

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Walrus posted:

never spend more than 30 dollars on a nonstick pan, buy a new one every two years

Yes, because most likely it's warped and uneven after a year of regular use.

A good cast iron however will probably outlive you and takes very little time to clean & season. The only issues are if someone leaves water in it and it all goes to rust.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

pentyne posted:

A good cast iron however will probably outlive you and takes very little time to clean & season. The only issues are if someone leaves water in it and it all goes to rust.

I have a couple of Griswold pans from the 1930s that I picked up at a flea market for $25 total. Just needed a cleaning and a reseasoning and they're brilliant.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
How's this year's Jamon?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

StormDrain posted:

How's this year's Jamon?

I can't imagine its that much different than previously. Buy it!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Put your luxury ham in an air fryer for a special treat

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Serrano? Bleech!

Someone post again when it’s Iberico season

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

pentyne posted:

And even then, I saw a youtube video of someone restoring one from a block of rust.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
FWIW an old neighbor/friend of mine who makes his own beer/cheese/bread/charcuterie and is a general all around Make Good Food Guy approves of the Serrano and Iberico Costco hams.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

ThirstyBuck posted:

I’ve used it twice. Once for an initial mortgage and then again recently to refi. The big advantage is that they cap the fees that the lender can charge and you also get a little peace of mind that if Costco is offering their service they are likely not poo poo.

FWIW I had two quotes out, one with Mutual of Omaha via Costco and one with Chase. Chase told me they had a huge back log, wouldn’t be closing soon, and they couldn’t come close to Costco’s/MOO’s cost.

Re: pans

I have a full set of all-clad and never use the skillets. Cast and carbon all day every day. I botched the seasoning on my carbon skillet and need to redo it.

I used to work for MoOB, their mortgage line lost them so much money. They literally didn't know how to sell more beneficial (for them) rates.

Today I costco'd at 2pm- an excellent time. STROOPWAFFELS ARE ALSO BACK. PRAISE BE

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

StormDrain posted:

How's this year's Jamon?

Why does it come with a hamstand? Who tf displays ham?

Fallom posted:

Put your luxury ham in an air fryer for a special treat

I thought you were suppsed to steam them.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I'm gonna get a ham this year. I'm gonna do it. No one can stop me.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

I thought you were suppsed to steam them.

Pretty sure you just leave it on the counter for a lil ham slice at every 20 minutes after the hour. That's ham time. Double portions after 4.

Oh also Bitchin Sauce was on sale! I said to myself "this dip is nuts!" then some lady said to me "that dip is nuts!". A blessed day.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

The hamstand is to hold it while slicing!

got a hardon for jamon

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

GORDON posted:

And even then, I saw a youtube video of someone restoring one from a block of rust.

I let a rusted cast iron pan sit unused for months thinking it was going to be some whole weekend long project to fix.

Pour in a mix of 50/50 vinegar and water, heating to boil, scrub clean, all rust gone. For something rusted to hell like it was left out in a rain storm you have to do much more but after that it's even easier to clean then regular pans.

Lodge pans are also cheap enough you could just buy a new one and sell the rusted one for a few bucks.

The only "cost" is if you want the really nice, $20 high quality flaxseed oil that cast iron enthusiasts swear is the best for seasoning.

jimmy mnemonic
Jan 9, 2007

Fun Shoe

Renegret posted:

Fair warning, it only needed half the cooking time than the directions stated. Almost had my third kitchen disaster of the day.

I've read some reports that the pot pies are very salty. How did it taste?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

pentyne posted:

Lodge pans are also cheap enough you could just buy a new one and sell the rusted one for a few bucks.

The only "cost" is if you want the really nice, $20 high quality flaxseed oil that cast iron enthusiasts swear is the best for seasoning.

I live in Australia and I had a 12" lodge pan shipped from the us by Amazon for A$20 with free FedEx shipping (that was about $14US at the time)

I never bothered with fancy oils - just a high smoke point cooking oil although the lodge pans are pre-seasoned.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

jimmy mnemonic posted:

I've read some reports that the pot pies are very salty. How did it taste?

It's very salty

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

My partner scrubbed my Teflon nonstick pot with a green scrubby pad and i can see the scratches but they're all surface level and nothing's flaking, can i still use it?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

If you were a parrot you’ll be dead just from looking at that pan across the room

But as long as your are human you’ll possibly survive.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Immanentized posted:

STROOPWAFFELS ARE ALSO BACK. PRAISE BE

I've been waiting a year for their return! The Costco gods bless us one and all!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The Hambulance posted:

The reviews of those pans are pretty terrible. I don't know if it's just stupid people using them or the pans are at fault.
Shiz. Phone was dead all morning so it was like the second thing I picked up at the Co when it opened (first was the advent wine box ).

I made eggs on it and everything slid right off so it's off to a good start. I have a cast iron that I can never season properly so it was a good pickup for me.

My wife doesn't seem to understand no metal utensils on nonstick and our old TFals were noticeably pitted and rough .

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

StormDrain posted:

How's this year's Jamon?

Literally last year’s jamon.

Still good, Iberco better if you can eat it fast enough.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

shadow puppet of a posted:

If you were a parrot you’ll be dead just from looking at that pan across the room

But as long as your are human you’ll possibly survive.

Well yeah, but there's a multitude of reasons why i don't have birds as pets. Especially shrieking ones that can remove my nose cartilage as soon as look at it and live for 80-100 years

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Renegret posted:

Just finished the last of the one I got last week, and it was tasty as hell. I feel like they are 50% chicken in that giant thing.

Cooking time was normal for mine, although I do check it with an instant read thermometer before pulling it out.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

number 1 snake fan posted:

My partner scrubbed my Teflon nonstick pot with a green scrubby pad and i can see the scratches but they're all surface level and nothing's flaking, can i still use it?

Yeah but use the blue pads they don't scratch.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

Literally last year’s jamon.

Still good, Iberco better if you can eat it fast enough.

Iberico is better, but the difference is not worth the 4x price difference. LOL in anybody's face who is too good for jamon serrano, just lol til I die.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
After reading about ham mites the last time the jamon was on here it’s basically all I can think about when I see one now.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Ham... mites???

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
my favorite actor is juan jamon

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

FogHelmut posted:

Yeah but use the blue pads they don't scratch.

Of course, but apparently he didn't know that

naem
May 29, 2011

Mozi posted:

my favorite actor is juan jamon

I keep hearing “we’re jammin’” in my head only, you know

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Michael Jackson: “Jamon! Wooo!”

Adbot