Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Beaucoup Haram posted:

Got 24 hours before my AZ-900 exam, haven't sat an exam in 20 years, cramming through the ACG course.

Any other tips ? I know this should be easy because I've worked in IT for over 15 years but haven't had a huge exposure to Azure and I think the process of sitting an exam is more daunting than the content. Any good practice tests ?

Don't stress out. It's just a test, your life does not depend on this. Either you pass or your fail, it's not the end of the world and you can just retake the test if it doesn't go well.

Don't cram the night before and try to take the exam with 2 hours of sleep. You are probably prepared well enough, just review the sections you think are most difficult. ACG is a great platform, if you took their course and practised the labs, you're good.

Eat and drink properly before and make sure you take a bathroom break before starting so you don't have to interrupt your flow when taking the exam.

Personally I only change questions I flagged for review if I'm 100% sure that I got it wrong the first time. I have a track record of changing my mind and then switching answers which tend to change a good anwser into a bad one. Noticed this behaviour in high school, so since I became aware of that I try to flag as little as possible and only change them when I'm really convinced the initial anwser was wrong. When in doubt, I go with my initial anwser. This is very personal though, I know people who flag half their exam and run through it when they're done all over again (with good results).

Good luck, and let us know how it went!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

erenoyo posted:

I work at a veterinary hospital as an assistant and I have zero IT training, but I am a nerd and so know how to do basic computer stuff. I've made a few improvements/changes to the hospital's hardware and set up a couple new features for our software because most people that work here are computer-illiterate, and now my boss is asking if I would be interested in being the hospital's full-time IT guy. They would pay my way through an entry-level course for what would essentially be small business IT support, so troubleshooting network issues, being the point guy with our vendors for software/hardware upgrades, basic website management, etc. What course(s) should I be looking at? I apologize if this is a lovely/stupid question

A+ would be needs-suiting, it also has a lot of crap in it though (back in 2013 it had a weird fixation on ZIF connectors? :shrug:). The best thing about the A+ prep I did back in 2013 was getting a copy of Mike Meyer's Gold Books for the A+ and Net+. Those were extremely good desk/bench references back when I was in desktop support.

E:

Cyks posted:

With that said, I would highly recommend politely declining the offer, unless there is a substantial pay increase offer and even then. You don't want to be on the hook because "the internet is acting slow" and have no support to fall back on.

This is the correct answer though.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 2, 2020

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Domus posted:

Trying to get my A+ without forking out a ton for study stuff of unknown worth. Spent like ‘95 to ‘98 repairing PCs for the blind, but haven’t done anything except for personal use since then. Watched professor messer vids on YouTube, and took a couple of practice tests. The free ones vary wildly in difficulty and topics. What study materials or practice tests are worth shelling out for?

And dear god, do you have to know that many port numbers in real life?

jason dion's practice tests on udemy are really, really good and go on sale for $11 all the time

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Beaucoup Haram posted:

Got 24 hours before my AZ-900 exam, haven't sat an exam in 20 years, cramming through the ACG course.

Any other tips ? I know this should be easy because I've worked in IT for over 15 years but haven't had a huge exposure to Azure and I think the process of sitting an exam is more daunting than the content. Any good practice tests other than the ACG one ?

https://www.examtopics.com/exams/microsoft/az-900/view/
https://vladtalkstech.com/az-900-study-guide-microsoft-azure-fundamentals

The exam topics one has a bunch of the questions that were in my actual exam.

Beaucoup Haram
Jun 18, 2005

NPR Journalizard posted:

https://www.examtopics.com/exams/microsoft/az-900/view/
The exam topics one has a bunch of the questions that were in my actual exam.

Thanks, I got 884/1000.

The above practice questions were basically all of the exam, if I'd just drilled them I reckon I would have passed - but not really known anything about the subject. Glad I did the actual study too, but they for sure helped with passing the exam.

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Cyks posted:

There really isn't any general "small business IT" courses that I'm aware of (at least not on a certification level) and the generic CompTIAs really won't be that useful. I would probably recommend a office suite course since there's a lot of functions built in that you probably aren't aware of that would be useful for day to day operations.

With that said, I would highly recommend politely declining the offer, unless there is a substantial pay increase offer and even then. You don't want to be on the hook because "the internet is acting slow" and have no support to fall back on.

Thanks. I appreciate the honesty. I'll let them know I'm not interested.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

My exam schedule got shot to hell due to COVID19 scare and testing for the family. I had to take 2 weeks off due to testing and crap. What a wild time.

ClumsyThief
Sep 11, 2001

Is LPI - Linux Essentials worth anything?

It's part of my ongoing WGU enrollment so I'm going to pass it either way but I was curious if anyone had an opinion on it's value.

George H.W. oval office posted:

Man I'm not pleased with passing the ITIL.

I took and passed ITIL Foundations v4 and had the same experience. It's a dishonest piece of poo poo exam that I'm glad I (likely) don't ever have to take again. I passed by I think 2 points and it felt like a roll of the dice even after a few weeks of legitimate study and 5-10 practice exams from their official app.

ClumsyThief fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 10, 2020

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Beaucoup Haram posted:

Thanks, I got 884/1000.

The above practice questions were basically all of the exam, if I'd just drilled them I reckon I would have passed - but not really known anything about the subject. Glad I did the actual study too, but they for sure helped with passing the exam.

Just took my AZ-900 as well and passed.

I used Whizlabs which seems to have same/similar questions to what was on the exam but in an actual 55 question timed format. Think it cost me $8 for 6 practice exams, would recommend.
https://www.whizlabs.com/

I also found a good set of study notes for various Azure tests here: https://github.com/undergroundwires/Azure-in-bullet-points

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!
The Comptia A+ practice exam resource in the Op appears broken, are there any alternatives?

freezingprocess
Mar 25, 2005

At the ripe old age of 46 I have to find a new career (thanks, global pandemic).

I am falling back on my old hobby of computer repair only to find out that the A+ cert has flourished into a nightmare of too much info.

I am going for it anyway.

I have an in at a defense contractor but I need my A+.

I have prof. Messers test notes and practice exams. I also have some books . However, I question how much relevance is in them.

A+ for dummies has a lot about legacy hardware and such.

So my questions are.... Do I really need to know what an AMD Sempron goes into which chip set?

Do I need to know so much about what transfer speeds of IDE, AGP, ISA or PCI (not PCIe) are?
Is LDAP tcp/389 really that important?

I want to study the right things and not waste time trying to get my old alcohol beaten brain to slowly absorb trivia.

I love technology and computing. I want to be in that profession but I am tired of spending money on things that are not going to help.

Any suggestions?

freezingprocess fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Sep 14, 2020

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Have you done any COMPTIA+ practice tests to see what's on the exam?

freezingprocess
Mar 25, 2005

Boba Pearl posted:

Have you done any COMPTIA+ practice tests to see what's on the exam?

Only professor Messer's and the ones that came with my A+ for dummies book.

There is a definite difference between those.

I am sure Professor Messer is the better of the two. However, I have to be cynical.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
Port numbers are fairly important and you should memorize which ones the A+ tells you to. The other stuff like the cables and connectors it’s better just to know what they do and maybe the order of speed, not so much the accurate number itself. Honestly if you have a basic understanding of computers and have been working with them for awhile the 1001 should be piss easy for you

Gonna pimp Jason Dions practice tests again because they were the closest thing to the actual test that I found. And again you can get them for $11 regularly when Udemy has their common sales

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I've been looking on Pearson Vues website to see how many questions you need to get right to pass the Juniper JN0-103 exam but I can't find it. Does anyone know? Hopefully it's a lower percentage than what Cisco requires.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I think most of the JNCIA stuff is 70%, sometimes lower.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Desktop Support guy here at a medium sized MSP that is a Cisco Meraki shop. Looking to make the jump to sys admin hopefully as part of an in-house IT team. Is the CCNA still a good cert to go for? Since we mostly replace ASAs with MX equipment, the overall vibe at my current company is 'not worth it anymore' -- but MSPs love their own partners and discourage all else. What do you goons think?

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Otis Reddit posted:

Desktop Support guy here at a medium sized MSP that is a Cisco Meraki shop. Looking to make the jump to sys admin hopefully as part of an in-house IT team. Is the CCNA still a good cert to go for? Since we mostly replace ASAs with MX equipment, the overall vibe at my current company is 'not worth it anymore' -- but MSPs love their own partners and discourage all else. What do you goons think?

CCNA is still a good cert to go for. Studying for it will provide a great networking foundation that isn't too Cisco-specific, and it's well known enough to get you past HR.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Charliegrs posted:

I've been looking on Pearson Vues website to see how many questions you need to get right to pass the Juniper JN0-103 exam but I can't find it. Does anyone know? Hopefully it's a lower percentage than what Cisco requires.

Took it very, very recently and it said 63%.

Exam was super easy though and the vouchers for juniper genius are now only worth 75% off, not the full 100%.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
I get a free associates thanks to working in a hospital and my governor. Was looking at the local college's networking program and it ends with getting the CCNA, with the Net+ and A+ along the way. I have all three of those but no experience and having a really hard time getting out of the printer world. Would it be worth doing the work and getting the associates and maybe continuing through WGU, or would that be a waste of time and effort?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Oyster posted:

I get a free associates thanks to working in a hospital and my governor. Was looking at the local college's networking program and it ends with getting the CCNA, with the Net+ and A+ along the way. I have all three of those but no experience and having a really hard time getting out of the printer world. Would it be worth doing the work and getting the associates and maybe continuing through WGU, or would that be a waste of time and effort?

Having CCNA alone should be enough to land a position in a NOC I think. Start looking for jr positions already if you can.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Oyster posted:

I was in the printer world at a hospital for over two years before landing an opening on our network team so I feel your pain.

I also really don't see the benefit of stopping the pursuit of your bachelors just to pick up an associates at a local college when I'm assuming none of that will transfer to WGU and when it comes to passing HR checkboxes, it's usually a bachelors.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Took my AZ-104 exam this morning and was very happy to see a 784 score since it was about 9 am and I was taking the exam on about 3.5 hours of sleep.

a Loving Dog posted:

Port numbers are fairly important and you should memorize which ones the A+ tells you to. The other stuff like the cables and connectors it’s better just to know what they do and maybe the order of speed, not so much the accurate number itself. Honestly if you have a basic understanding of computers and have been working with them for awhile the 1001 should be piss easy for you

Gonna pimp Jason Dions practice tests again because they were the closest thing to the actual test that I found. And again you can get them for $11 regularly when Udemy has their common sales
The 1001 was trickier than I was expecting, honestly. But I don't think I submitted the simulation things properly so that's probably why I only got a 727.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

LochNessMonster posted:

Having CCNA alone should be enough to land a position in a NOC I think. Start looking for jr positions already if you can.

I have been. Plenty of interviews but get hung up on having certs but not experience.

Cyks posted:

I was in the printer world at a hospital for over two years before landing an opening on our network team so I feel your pain.

I also really don't see the benefit of stopping the pursuit of your bachelors just to pick up an associates at a local college when I'm assuming none of that will transfer to WGU and when it comes to passing HR checkboxes, it's usually a bachelors.

I'm on year 6, yeah. I did college for 7-ish years focusing on Japanese and Korean with no degree to show for it. The hope would be to get some experience, maybe learn some things (I passed the old CCNA), then I could finish at WGU or something. Mostly, it's free, I can't afford normal college at the moment, and I've struck out at enough interviews I'm feeling a booster would help. My understanding is that WGU only takes transfers, and hopefully what's covered for free could save a $6,000 6 months.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Oyster posted:

I have been. Plenty of interviews but get hung up on having certs but not experience.

I'm on year 6, yeah. I did college for 7-ish years focusing on Japanese and Korean with no degree to show for it. The hope would be to get some experience, maybe learn some things (I passed the old CCNA), then I could finish at WGU or something. Mostly, it's free, I can't afford normal college at the moment, and I've struck out at enough interviews I'm feeling a booster would help. My understanding is that WGU only takes transfers, and hopefully what's covered for free could save a $6,000 6 months.

I misread and thought you meant you were currently enrolled at WGU. You don't have to be a transfer by the way, just need one valid certification from an approved list (which all three of those are). I'm still not sure how much value an associates would bring for an entry position when you already have that much experience and certifications.

If I had six years of experience in an enterprise IT environment but lack of the experience is what is holding me back, I personally would exaggerate what my current job responsibilities were.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

Cyks posted:

I misread and thought you meant you were currently enrolled at WGU. You don't have to be a transfer by the way, just need one valid certification from an approved list (which all three of those are). I'm still not sure how much value an associates would bring for an entry position when you already have that much experience and certifications.

If I had six years of experience in an enterprise IT environment but lack of the experience is what is holding me back, I personally would exaggerate what my current job responsibilities were.

Yeah. I still can't answer hard experience questions though, all my AD and networking experience has been home labs. Mostly considering it because again, free, might get some transfer credits, and getting past HR.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Just passed my CISSP! SO glad to be done studying for this thing and having my evenings back.

Now I just need to go through the endorsement process and pay them more money to be certified. Hoping to use this to pivot towards more IT security oriented work.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Soon you'll be earning enough to afford a boat!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
WGU's Cloud Computing BS is dropping the Cloud Essentials+ course and replacing it with the Amazon AWS CCP cert course. Pretty excited to get my feet wet with AWS. They also have the SysOps Admin cert too so lots to learn still.

Take my Sec+ tomorrow morning and just noticed that I've taken the A+, Net+, and now this in successive Octobers over the last 3 years lol. Hopefully a first try pass is in the cards.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Just passed my CISSP! SO glad to be done studying for this thing and having my evenings back.

Now I just need to go through the endorsement process and pay them more money to be certified. Hoping to use this to pivot towards more IT security oriented work.

Congrats. What material did use for study and how similar was it to the exam?

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

cage-free egghead posted:

Take my Sec+ tomorrow morning and just noticed that I've taken the A+, Net+, and now this in successive Octobers over the last 3 years lol. Hopefully a first try pass is in the cards.

Good luck!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Khagan posted:

Congrats. What material did use for study and how similar was it to the exam?

I used a combination of materials.

Shon Harris Book, and the 11th hour guide were my main guides. I read both cover to cover. The Shon Harris book is exhausting. But it does give you a ton of depth and background on subjects. The 11th hour guide was a nice summary to review topics after reading the Shon Harris book.

I also purchased the Boson ExamSim for the cert and that was really helpful. Their test questions are probably more "trivia" and technical than the questions I got on the exam.

On top of all of that I watched a lot of YouTube videos on subjects I wanted more information on. The DestinationCertification MindMap videos were an excellent review.

The outline of my studying went something like this:
1. Read Shon Harris book.
2. Watch YouTube videos on various subjects.
3. Read 11th hour guide book.
4. Practice exams.
5. More YouTube videos and book review on subjects I struggled with.
6. More practice exams.
7. Take test.
8. ???
9. Profit.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Microsoft is offering a number of their exams for only $15 for anyone laid-off or furloughed due to COVID-19. I don't know how they verify this so it may be on the honor system. There's a limited number of vouchers so don't be that rear end in a top hat who takes a voucher from someone who may need it.

https://aka.ms/skillscert

quote:

Microsoft is offering select Microsoft Certified Exams (various certification) for $15 valid for individuals who have been unemployed or furlough due to COVID-19 (select requirements may vary depending on each states). Testing candidates will have the ability to schedule an exam before December 21, 2020 and have until March 31, 2021 to appear and complete it.

Note, this offer entitles qualifying individuals to register and appear for (1) valid Microsoft Certification exam at a special limited one time discount price.

Be sure to select the 'Schedule for USD15" option. You will need to login to your Microsoft account to begin the scheduling process.

Job seekers who have completed training for these Microsoft-specific technical roles and can attest that they have been unemployed or furloughed due to COVID-19 can secure an industry-recognized Microsoft Certification at a discounted fee of USD15. Testing candidates will have the ability to schedule an exam before December 31, 2020 and will have until March 31, 2021 to appear for and complete the exam. See terms and conditions.

Discounted Microsoft Certification exams available through this offer:
  • Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals Exam AZ-900: Microsoft Azure Fundamentals
  • Microsoft Certified: Azure Data Fundamentals Exam DP-900: Microsoft Azure Data Fundamentals
  • Microsoft Certified: Azure AI Fundamentals Exam AI-900: Microsoft Azure AI Fundamentals
  • Microsoft Certified: Power Platform Fundamentals Exam PL-900: Microsoft Power Platform Fundamentals
  • Microsoft 365 Certified: Fundamentals Exam MS-900: Microsoft 365 Fundamentals
  • Microsoft Certified: Azure Administrator Associate Exam AZ-104: Microsoft Azure Administrator
  • Microsoft Certified: Azure Developer Associate Exam AZ-204: Developing Solutions for Microsoft Azure
  • Microsoft Certified: Azure Security Engineer Associate Exam AZ-500: Microsoft Azure Security Technologies
  • Microsoft Certified: Power Platform App Maker Associate Exam PL-100: Microsoft Power Platform App Maker
  • Microsoft 365 Certified: Teams Administrator Associate Exam MS-700: Managing Microsoft Teams
  • Microsoft 365 Certified: Security Administrator Associate Exam MS-500: Microsoft 365 Security Administration
  • Microsoft 365 Certified: Developer Associate Exam MS-600: Building Applications and Solutions with Microsoft 365 Core Services
  • Microsoft Certified: Data Analyst Associate Exam DA-100: Analyzing Data with Microsoft Power BI

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 1, 2020

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Microsoft is offering a number of their exams for only $15 for anyone laid-off or furloughed due to COVID-19. I don't know how they verify this so it may be on the honor system. There's a limited number of vouchers so don't be that rear end in a top hat who takes a voucher from someone who may need it.

https://aka.ms/skillscert

Thank you for this, I have no idea when I'm going to be able to study for this but for $15 why not

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Just took Sec+ and passed with an 833 :toot:

I'm going in reverse order as I wanted to get Sec+ first as I thought it was easier to study for with a shorter study time (only a week or so), so unfortunately it's not renewing a Net+, but I'm still proud of it.

I'll probably wait a bit and then get Net+ just to have it under my belt too sometime soon.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Only a week? drat, that's impressive. Nice job!

I've been studying for the last month and just bombed the exam today. Got like a 630 or something. Only felt confident with maybe like a quarter of the questions and the PBQs were much more complicated than everything I had gone through as far as practice exams. I had heard Ucertify was garbage but drat it made me feel like an idiot after going through that lol

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Only a week? drat, that's impressive. Nice job!

I've been studying for the last month and just bombed the exam today. Got like a 630 or something. Only felt confident with maybe like a quarter of the questions and the PBQs were much more complicated than everything I had gone through as far as practice exams. I had heard Ucertify was garbage but drat it made me feel like an idiot after going through that lol

I have a BS in CS and was (technically only tier 1 but there was a lot of overlap) doing K-12 IT for the past 2 years or so, so I wasn't going in completely blind.

Which practice material were you using? I'd say the Messer stuff is probably the most like the real exam.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Buff Hardback posted:

I have a BS in CS and was (technically only tier 1 but there was a lot of overlap) doing K-12 IT for the past 2 years or so, so I wasn't going in completely blind.

Which practice material were you using? I'd say the Messer stuff is probably the most like the real exam.

I'm enrolled at WGU right now and they insist you use their material (Ucertify) so I've used it for like 95% of my studying. I knew I should have just gone with Messer for it since he got me through Net+ and A+.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

I'm enrolled at WGU right now and they insist you use their material (Ucertify) so I've used it for like 95% of my studying. I knew I should have just gone with Messer for it since he got me through Net+ and A+.

Can't you just use it and not tell them? :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Buff Hardback posted:

Can't you just use it and not tell them? :ssh:

Kinda, the site tracks nearly everything you've done including bookmarks that "complete" once you've spent enough time on the page. The instructor and mentor can see how much progress you've made on everything.