Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

That was a much better response than I was expecting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"When I put the meter on here it showed a direct short"

Nope, it read 15 ohms which is very much not a direct short

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Some Goon posted:

Every time I use my iFixit screwdriver I unironically find myself thinking "what a quality product, I'm so glad I bought this". It's a solid metal handle, feels well constructed. The bits haven't shown any sign of damage.

100x this. It's at the perfect intersection of price and quality. You can absolutely buy better screwdriver kits, but you cannot get a better value.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

"When I put the meter on here it showed a direct short"

Nope, it read 15 ohms which is very much not a direct short

Lmao 15 ohms as a short.

Jesus.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

spunkshui posted:

Lmao 15 ohms as a short.

Jesus.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Ahhhh I am training jr engineers at work on working with and debugging electronics and that simultaneously makes me laugh and makes me anxious.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I know very little about electronics and still went "what the gently caress" when arriving at that point in the video.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Those Fluke autoranging meters will beep at <20ohms but that's because they are designed for sparks and not for electronics repair

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

Those Fluke autoranging meters will beep at <20ohms but that's because they are designed for sparks and not for electronics repair

At no point would I be looking at a screen reading an actual consistent number and say that it’s a short.

Not without touching my loving prongs together and seeing it reading the same number at least.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

I'm sure there's some folksy saying relevant to the type of person who buys the most expensive brand of a tool, yet fails to understand the very clear readings that it is giving.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

You guys are too hard on some goober on youtube.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

We're following his example and educating people on First Amendment rights, even if they don't want to be educated.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I have a coworker who thought he was saving the company “literally hundreds of dollars” (?!?) because he found some cheap rear end multimeters on alibaba or some crap and ordered them on the company card.

I pointed out they are not calibrated and can not be calibrated so an ISO auditor would rip us a new one if there were any in the lab when they did an inspection and they all disappeared the next day, lol.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

People who care about saving other people's money really confuse me. I'm not saying be wasteful, but if the tool you need to do your job is expensive then that's just the cost of doing business, and if the company doesn't want to pay for the tools then they should consider the line of business they are in.

Same when it comes to clients, I have a coworker who always tries to go in cheap as gently caress because his clients never have money, but he does this before he's got a budget out of them and sometimes barely has a list of their requirements. If someone wants to do something that is expensive and you throw something completely poo poo together for cheap, they're going to be pissed off. My approach is to just tell people upfront if their budgets are too low and go from there, either the scope gets reduced or we don't do the work.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah the amount these MMs would have saved was not even noise in our hardware budget and it was so silly. We’re not lacking for decent fluke and keysight MMs either.

What does spin me up is when people treats equipment like poo poo like lets the probes just drop on the floor etc. I don’t want to be stuck with one of the bent rear end probes when I got stuff to do you slovenly fucker!!

Back on topic for the thread, are there any good channels for stuff like electronic debug techniques etc? Something like fixing pc boards or raspberry pi. I could use a good soldering tutorial vid too I was never formally taught like most engineers and it is a functional mess at best.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Maybe EEVBlog? He's a bit too high energy for me to watch on the reg but when I'm looking for functional knowledge he seems to come up a lot. Usually I'll just see if theres a video someone has made about my specific problem and there often is, though of course quality is all over the place when dealing with youtube randos.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
You're gonna find two types of soldering vids: 1) the older guys that wiill tell you never to buy non-lead solder/silver solder and always get 60/40 or something along those lines and fume hoods are for wimps and they used to solder for hours in a tiny non-ventilated closet or 2) the guys who are viciously militant about RoHS compliancy and will call the feds if you so much as bring in baby formula from china

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

The trick to soldering is to actually heat the wire with the soldering iron to the point where when you just touch a little bit of solder on it it melts and flows on the wire.

The other trick is to actually twist the wires so that you have a good physical connection before you even pick up the soldering iron.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 2, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Also be careful around plastic parts.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zt57TWkTF4

LMG transparency is pretty neat

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
The merch revenue is way higher than I expected. No wonder they push it so hard.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Nowher posted:

The merch revenue is way higher than I expected. No wonder they push it so hard.

I don't get the appeal of merchandise, unless it's a charity organization like Saveafox or something. Especially underwear. Yikes. I couldn't get into a YouTube channel that much that I'd want other people to know I watch it. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I appreciate that he said he changed manufacturers of their shirts or something because the working conditions at the factory were not okay.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Charles posted:

I don't get the appeal of merchandise, unless it's a charity organization like Saveafox or something. Especially underwear. Yikes. I couldn't get into a YouTube channel that much that I'd want other people to know I watch it. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I appreciate that he said he changed manufacturers of their shirts or something because the working conditions at the factory were not okay.

I have a LTT swacket and it owns.

Need some socks actually, prolly give linus some money instead of bezos.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

He mentioned a while back that one water bottle purchase is worth more than you can ever possibly be as just a viewer. Being that it's all things bought by the pallet/container from China (and apparently Canada-printed apparel) the margin has to be pretty nice.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

priznat posted:

I got a Tekton kit (https://www.tekton.com/everybit-tech-rescue-kit-28301) that comes in a little pouch and is super portable that I really like. It has some great stuff packed in there from all the spudgers to the suction cup puller to the magnetic spot for screws.

The screwdriver is nice and solid too. Has all the bits I need, a+ would buy again.

This is part of my work carry. Exceptional carry kit.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
Merch has always been everything in the creative scene. If you ever wanted to actually support a band buying their CD is cool and all but going to their gig and buying their shirts is way better. It's not surprising that Youtube creators have discovered the same.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Merch has always been everything in the creative scene. If you ever wanted to actually support a band buying their CD is cool and all but going to their gig and buying their shirts is way better. It's not surprising that Youtube creators have discovered the same.

Yeah that's why I bought a few things from the GN store. Steve's hair product won't pay for itself

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I would 100% buy GN merch if it didn't have loving 'Gamer' in it. I like to play video games as a hobby but I absolutely avoid the toxic sociopathic label that is 'gamer'.

Really wish Steve would just make it 'GN'.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Wirth1000 posted:

I would 100% buy GN merch if it didn't have loving 'Gamer' in it. I like to play video games as a hobby but I absolutely avoid the toxic sociopathic label that is 'gamer'.

Really wish Steve would just make it 'GN'.

If you actually look at the merch you'll see that a lot of it is in fact just "GN"

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

cage-free egghead posted:

If you actually look at the merch you'll see that a lot of it is in fact just "GN"

If you actually look at the merch you'll see that GamersNexus is on either the front or back of all the t-shirts/hoodies and on the modmat and mouse mat stuff.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Wirth1000 posted:

If you actually look at the merch you'll see that GamersNexus is on either the front or back of all the t-shirts/hoodies and on the modmat and mouse mat stuff.

Shut the gently caress up you sweaty gamer nerd and buy the drat shirt 🍗

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Theophany posted:

Shut the gently caress up you sweaty gamer nerd and buy the drat shirt 🍗

Listen, I'll accept you telling me to shut the gently caress up. I'll accept you calling me sweaty. I'll even accept you calling me a nerd.

But do not ever loving call me a 'gamer' you absolute loving bigoted reprobate!

lttstore.com

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
My GN toolkit definitely says Gamers Nexus on the front. I don't have a problem with it though

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

My GN toolkit definitely says Gamers Nexus on the front. I don't have a problem with it though

Are they actually decent? All the photos and videos of them kinda made them seem pretty cheap. On par with your typical low cost house brand toolsets from big box hardware stores.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I can barely see the word "gamer" on this poster depicting my motherboard as a subway map so I think it's a cool thing to hang on my wall and not some nerd crap.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

By the time someone has penetrated your nerd lair far enough to see your mod mat they know exactly what you are.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6BXwCJtaZE

After you're done watching that click this: https://www.pcgamer.com/msi-partner-reseller-ebay-rtx-3080/

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Jay's video about MSI scalping is really stupid. It says right in the statement they're rectifying the situation by offering full or partial refunds for people who bought the Starlit cards. I'm not sure what he wants from them w/r/t consumer reparations.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Jay is a massive piece of poo poo who fantasizes about people breaking into his home so he can murder them and you shouldn't be giving him money by watching his videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

I just cannot bring myself to care a single iota about GPUs being resold, scapled, price hiked, secretly ebayed by OEMs, or anything else. We're not talking lifesaving drugs here. They're unnecessary products for a nerd hobby. If nvidia couldn't produce enough of them to satisfy demand then the pricetag is naturally going to trend up to whatever the biggest richest idiots are willing to pay. The best solution is to not be a big idiot and just wait.

(I will also note that we're now 2/2 for hosed up hardware at launch from nvidia cards -- the 2000 space invaders corruption, and the 3000 bad capacitors. So lol at all the people who bought 3080s before even knowing what the potential competition was, with a decent segment of them not even caring what Big Navi might be because "AMD drivers bad".)