Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Skwirl posted:

How do you name your guy Cactus and not make him fat?

I thought it was too unrealistic for a warrior to hoof it as far as he did and beat up as many people as he did while not being trimmed down because of it.

I was 16 and had no concept of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
16 year old you had also never seen a sammo hung movie apparently.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I see a new door opening to me. Recommendations?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Shinjobi posted:

I dunno, pick one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pflpy4srthw

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Shinjobi posted:

I watched this recently and it was very good:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Prodigal_Son_(1981_film)

Apparently somewhat special because of the style of fighting (wing chun) used in the film.

Anyway, this Sammo gentleman wrote, directed, and stars in it, too.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Hell yeah, I'm in

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Watch Wheels on Meals

Edit: I dunno if it's streaming anywhere else but if you have Plex it's on their free movies.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I hope they fix the problems Hyrule Warriors had with the Age of Calamity game. Constantly shifting menus to get everyone's combo list filled out and such.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

RichterIX posted:

Watch Wheels on Meals

Edit: I dunno if it's streaming anywhere else but if you have Plex it's on their free movies.

This.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

RareAcumen posted:

I hope they fix the problems Hyrule Warriors had with the Age of Calamity game. Constantly shifting menus to get everyone's combo list filled out and such.

I mean, they're already removing Agatha, Fi, and Tetra, so at least three problems have been fixed.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Takoluka posted:

I mean, they're already removing Agatha, Fi, and Tetra, so at least three problems have been fixed.

I never had any problems playing as Tetra but if you replaced her with Cia and Wizzro I'd agree with you.

Really hope that there's better queuing for dialogue so you don't end up completing objectives and waiting 40 seconds for the mission to say you've accomplished your task.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

RareAcumen posted:

I never had any problems playing as Tetra but if you replaced her with Cia and Wizzro I'd agree with you.

this is canon to me, and they're great

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Wizzro is fun to play. So is Cia.... in very small doses.
Tetra was in my like top 5 played characters too, i think.

Get rid of Ruto forever tho

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

HenryEx posted:

Wizzro is fun to play. So is Cia.... in very small doses.
Tetra was in my like top 5 played characters too, i think.

Get rid of Ruto forever tho

They made her so much better in DE with her entire moveset being so much faster, I can't fault you for hating her but she's honestly very powerful

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Takoluka posted:

this is canon to me, and they're great

I love how artists have the ability to make great material out of even the most average premises.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Is the gimmick with these Kessen 3 cutscenes they're based on Kabuki or some such? A lot of pantomiming to the cheap seats.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I finally finished Spirit of Sanada after having it in my steam backlog for ages and I thought it was really good, I wish I'd played it sooner. I've played enough Dynasty Warriors games over the years to have a rough idea of how the three kingdoms era went (the romanticized version, anyway) but I don't really know anything about the Segoku period apart from the big names, and haven't really played an SW game since the first one so all of those characters have been a bit of a mystery to me, it was fun to have a game that just tells a chronological story from beginning to end. And as much as Yukimura earns his status as the main character of Japan in these games, I thought Masayuki was way more intriguing, I sort of forgot that guy existed. The farming, exploring, and fishing in the castle town made for fun little interludes in between battles too, even if I didn't really care much about the material rewards.

I didn't love how brown and muddy most of the maps were but I guess a lot of Musou games suffer from that, I suppose I'm just spoiled by ghost of tsushima in terms of what a romanticized samurai playground can look like. Also as much as I liked the story, it's kind of funny that a 25-hour long game about one family still had significant gaps in it, according to the 10 minutes of wikipediaing I've been doing to fill them in. For example, Yukimura had several wives and children, and apparently there was a fellow named Hideyori Toyotomi who might have been worth mentioning at some point in this saga in which the Toyotomi clan played a major part (looks like he's even in other SW games so it's a little puzzling to leave him out).

But whatever, it was a fun video game that kept me wanting to see what happened next, what more can you ask for. Japanese-only audio made it a little hard to track what people were saying mid-battle at times, but it did mean I got to hear Kiryu Kazuma's dulcet tones whenever Hanzo showed up so it's good, actually

Also, this track owns

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Need some of your input. Having a hard time deciding on whether to get Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate or Warriors Orochi 4 Ultimate.

From what I've heard, WO4 was a bit of step back from WO3U but now with the Ultimate upgrade, it seems to be better. How does it compare to WO3U? Is the gameplay better? Is there just as much to do in WO3U?

I'm playing WO3 and getting some serious FOMO. I really want the extras and stuff. Both WO3U and WO4U cost about the same so curious to know if I'm better off playing 3 or if 4 is worth it.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Personally, the endgame in WO4U is bad. I never played WO3U but from videos, I can see enemies move around in Gauntlet mode. In 4, they just... stand there in small groups. Magic is cool at first but it basically makes so you don't bother with most characters' movesets, instead spamming magic because it's much, much better. That said the huge roster is great.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

Azran posted:

Personally, the endgame in WO4U is bad. I never played WO3U but from videos, I can see enemies move around in Gauntlet mode. In 4, they just... stand there in small groups. Magic is cool at first but it basically makes so you don't bother with most characters' movesets, instead spamming magic because it's much, much better. That said the huge roster is great.

Thank you for the info! That's not good to hear about the endgame, especially when I heard the story is shorter... I enjoy the grind of Warriors games and if it boils down to that, I may have to pass.

Kinda sucks about the magic aspect. I always enjoyed seeing some of the ridiculous things the roster can get up to but if I'm going to be using magic more, is there really a point to a big roster?

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
Coming from someone who Platinumed both WO3U and WO4U, there is definitely more to do in WO3U. Story mode is much more robust with far more stages and branching paths, even multiple variations of some stages. (WO4U has a very linear story with a handful of side-missions that only serve to unlock new characters). WO4U has very specific Magic attacks that are really good, and you'll find that you end up using those as a big part of your moveset on whichever characters you use. It does reduce some of the uniqueness of the characters for sure.

And Azran is right, Infinity Mode in WO4U is way less interesting than Gauntlet Mode in WO3U. Infinity Mode is just a series of towers containing stages that you play through once, hoping to unlock everyone by the time you reach the end. Then once you finish up the last tower, another tower opens up - and you continue grinding that tower over and over until the slow-drip gives you the ridiculous number of materials needed to craft the ultimate weapons that you don't need anymore because you've already completed the endgame.

Gauntlet Mode feels like much more of a GAME. It's been a while so I don't remember the specifics, but it's a lot more interesting and fun, and feels much less tedious.

Drawback of WO3U include the reduced roster - WO4U includes characters from DW8/XL/Empires, SW4/4-II, and 12 new Orochi characters. Though there were 10 special crossover characters from other Koei Tecmo games in WO3U - only 3 of them appear in WO4U. WO3U has a total of 145 characters and WO4U has 177. I also felt that in WO3U, I could pick my main team of 3 characters (5 in Gauntlet Mode) and never need to use anyone else.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

Uncle Ulty posted:

Coming from someone who Platinumed both WO3U and WO4U, there is definitely more to do in WO3U. Story mode is much more robust with far more stages and branching paths, even multiple variations of some stages. (WO4U has a very linear story with a handful of side-missions that only serve to unlock new characters). WO4U has very specific Magic attacks that are really good, and you'll find that you end up using those as a big part of your moveset on whichever characters you use. It does reduce some of the uniqueness of the characters for sure.

And Azran is right, Infinity Mode in WO4U is way less interesting than Gauntlet Mode in WO3U. Infinity Mode is just a series of towers containing stages that you play through once, hoping to unlock everyone by the time you reach the end. Then once you finish up the last tower, another tower opens up - and you continue grinding that tower over and over until the slow-drip gives you the ridiculous number of materials needed to craft the ultimate weapons that you don't need anymore because you've already completed the endgame.

Gauntlet Mode feels like much more of a GAME. It's been a while so I don't remember the specifics, but it's a lot more interesting and fun, and feels much less tedious.

Drawback of WO3U include the reduced roster - WO4U includes characters from DW8/XL/Empires, SW4/4-II, and 12 new Orochi characters. Though there were 10 special crossover characters from other Koei Tecmo games in WO3U - only 3 of them appear in WO4U. WO3U has a total of 145 characters and WO4U has 177. I also felt that in WO3U, I could pick my main team of 3 characters (5 in Gauntlet Mode) and never need to use anyone else.

WOW thank you for this! Between you and Azran, this is exactly what I was looking for. Looks like I will stick with WO3U then. Really love the idea of the side missions opening up remixes of other missions. Sounds like I can sink some serious time into Gauntlet mode too which is exactly what I want.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I dunno, some of those troop requests in Gauntlet Mode are tedious as hell.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.

KingShiro posted:

I dunno, some of those troop requests in Gauntlet Mode are tedious as hell.

I agree, that did get annoying at the end. But I believe you only need to get them all if you're going for Platinum, and if that's the case, I'd rather do the Troop Requests over the Infinity Mode weapon grind in 4U any day.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I finally picked up Warriors Orochi 3 after dropping it for what must be a year or so. I'm still on Chapter 2, and I've been doing the missions marked as 'New', though I notice the game doesn't seem to mark missions as being complete apart from that. So far, the missions I've beat have been with the recommended teams, and on Normal difficulty.

I'm really lost as to what I should be doing, which I know sounds dumb, but apart from having not played a Musou game for a while, WO3 seems to have a lot of systems that I either didn't read up on or haven't really unlocked yet.

For example, I can go to the Blacksmith and buy weapons, but I don't know if I need to or should. Right now, I've got 130,800G to spend. I imagine I'd be broke if I tried to buy the best weapons for everyone, but it seems like I don't really need to do that. Weapons are ranked from 1- to 3-stars (I think there were also some special weapons that showed up at one point), and they have varying numbers of attribute slots. With the last set of weapons, I bought ones with the most attribute slots.

Then there's weapon fusion, which I'm guessing allows you merge weapons that you reached max familiarity with, but I don't think I have any weapons at max familiarity yet, and if I do, then they're probably starting weapons. There's Weapon and Orb Crafting, but I don't have any materials to do that with yet. There's the lottery, but I don't know what they lottery is for.

Moving away from the blacksmith, there's stuff like growth points, which seems to allow you to level up your characters outside of using them in battle. Right now, I've got 111,200 growth points, but I've not leveled anyone up real heavily with it. What I have done is use the growth point to boost fresh characters up from level 1 (ex. one of the next missions I have recommends Nemea, Xu Huang, and Zhurong, and they were all at Level 1, since I hadn't used them previously. Because of that, I boosted them all up to Level 7). I don't know if I should be boosting everyone's stats up after every mission. There's also Upgrade Stones (which I don't have), and Promotions, which I can't seem to do with anyone yet.

I guess I'm just sort of at a loss as to what I should be doing with all the stat stuff, or if I shouldn't be worrying about it until I get later into the game.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

From what I remember there's no actual benefit to using the recommended characters. Just use whoever you want and save your growth points and money to spend on the characters you want to use.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Sometimes recommended characters have some extra dialogue, but that's about it. Just play who you want. Most of the things are for turbo poopsocking and you don't really need to worry about it.

Feel free to play around with everyone's movesets to see what you like, by all means, but I remember picking a favorite or two and having them lead the team with the others being whoever I wanted to see their movesets. (With no expectation of them being effective at their low level)

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
For right now, pick a handful of characters you like, and buy a weapon with the most stars and use fusion to put more slots and attributes you like best onto it. (Things like Agility, Reach, and Slay are some of the best bets. It's been a while, but I believe you can use Fusion to add more empty slots to a weapon as well.) I generally didn't buy new weapons often unless the ones in the shop had attributes I wanted to fuse with the weapon I was using. You can eventually go hunting for the Mystic weapons, which require characters to complete specific requirements in specific stages. Unless you go crazy trying to get a really good weapon to drop with RNG and min/maxing, the Mystic Weapons will be your best bet once you add attributes to them.

The lottery will just give you a random selection of new weapons for various characters. I found that trying to micromanage getting a bunch of new weapons at once was more trouble than it was worth. Orb crafting will give you more attributes to add to weapons if you want them. Weapon crafting is more for the endgame - once you get to Gauntlet mode, you can collect items to craft the game's ultimate weapons.

For now you can just use growth points to dump levels into characters you like as you unlock them. Trying to keep everyone leveled up at once to keep up with recommended characters quickly becomes unsustainable. When a character reaches level 100, you can use Promotion to reset them to level 1, and then whenever they level up, they will earn Upgrade Stones that you can use to permanently upgrade their stats. You can promote a character 10 times, and you get additional bonuses for promotions such as more item slots and additional end-of-stage rewards. Just bear in mind that promoting will reset all stats except the ones added by Upgrade Stones, so you don't want to take a newly promoted character into battle until you've boosted them a bit again with growth points.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah, I think I'll go that route. I was trying to use the recommended charaters for each stage, but most of them are at Level 1. Plus, now that I've hit Chapter 3, the difficulty has spiked up, so trying to use the lower level characters either results in me getting stunlocked to death by enemy officers, or not being fast enough to get things done in time (i.e. essential character gets killed by enemy officer on the other side of the map).

I went with my favorite character from DW8 (Zhang Liao) and I replayed some of the earlier stages to try and level him up (even at lower levels, he still just rips through enemies and officers :black101:). I paired him up with Kaguya and Ma Chao, but only because they are at a pretty high level. They aren't bad, but there are other characters I like more, and I've yet to try a lot of the WO3 exclusive characters like Ryu, Ayane, Achilles, and the other various special/guest characters.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
That sounds about right - there's definitely something to be said for taking all of the characters for a test drive before choosing your mains, but I think the Orochi series is reaching critical mass for number of playable characters that it's becoming too much.

My team was Zhao Yun, Sima Zhao, and Keiji. Sima Zhao is OP in this game for sure, and Zhao Yun is a monster when you give him a weapon with lots of Agility and Reach. Enemies had a real hard time getting to him. Agility is probably the first skill I made sure to add to any character I planned to use. Without it, even characters with naturally fast attack speeds felt like they were moving in slow motion.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

The team I ended up going with was Zhang Liao, Deng Ai, and Ayane, and with that team, I was able to tear through pretty easily. I beat Orochi X, which the games treats as the end, though there's still four whole chapters that follow it (I'm guessing those are the chapters new to Ultimate).

I didn't prioritize Agility (don't think I came across it that often), but I got into the habit of fusing weapons every stage or two, based on what I found. One I did try to collect was flak (the one that does damage against airborne enemies, since juggling officers seems like the fastest way to take them down). I made it up to the 4-star weapons, but I still don't have any crystals or orbs to use yet.

I guess I'll continue with the story, since there a bunch of characters left to unlock. I haven't touched Gauntlet Mode yet, and it seems like it's a long road to get the platinum.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Hyrule Warriors: Calamity of Ages seems like a meaty game. The moves are way more involved since it's taking ammo-based magic barrages, and the item system from Breath of the Wild into its own thing.

The frame rate is absolute trash on handheld though.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
The frame rate is trash when docked too. Pretty sure I was getting maybe 20 fps max on the first demo level.

The new map/item system is pretty cool. The perfect dodge system seems really tight on timing, maybe I'm just bad though.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

RoyalScion posted:

The frame rate is trash when docked too. Pretty sure I was getting maybe 20 fps max on the first demo level.

The new map/item system is pretty cool. The perfect dodge system seems really tight on timing, maybe I'm just bad though.

a lot of recent switch demos have had worse framerates than the final version, so that might not be a big deal in the long run

And given how powerful flurry rush is I'm cool with it being harder to pull off

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Koei Tecmo wants your feedback about Samurai Warriors.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
So I was unaware until a half hour ago, but allegedly, The Age of Calamity demo will carry over save data.

I only got a Switch last month so if this is typical of Switch demos, then sorry for being dumb, but I was holding off until it came out. However, this gives me incentive to try it out early. :buddy:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Morter posted:

So I was unaware until a half hour ago, but allegedly, The Age of Calamity demo will carry over save data.

I only got a Switch last month so if this is typical of Switch demos, then sorry for being dumb, but I was holding off until it came out. However, this gives me incentive to try it out early. :buddy:

It happens on a game-by-game basis. For example, the Disgaea 5 demo does not carry over your save.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

Recently picked up Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate after playing through the story of Ultimate and my god this has to be my all-time favorite Warriors game. I thought there was only one extra chapter in Ultimate! Not a WHOLE OTHER story mode!

My only qualm is that Ieyasu Tokugawa doesn't have his giant gently caress-off laser beam R1 attack from 2 but it looks like they did sort of add it with the Air Musou so I'm happy.

I'm coming upon a strange glitch though and I'm wondering if this might have happened to anyone else... Anytime I'm in the overworld for story mode, where you can visit the blacksmith and teahouse, my character's walking animation glitches out like crazy. If I try to run, it just keeps glitching like it's stuck on a piece of the environment and won't move. Walking slowly or moving the camera to a different angle seems to help.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Played a couple stages of the new Hyrule Warriors (continuing past where the demo left off) and it seems to run better than the demo at least, but still a bit worse than I'd like.

Only did Daruk's recruitment level and a side mission but piloting the divine beast was pretty boring and I hope they don't make me do it a bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

SW4 Empires is on sale, do the gimmicks outside of the core combat make it worth $25?