Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Here lies a stranger bucked by their horse

They never scored a ride

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!
The last eight coins I've found, over the last several days, have all been the 1789 Penny. At this rate, I'll have completed the collection in never.

Scherloch fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Sep 27, 2020

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
You should tell her that having 8 rare things is a super rare thing

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I am now personally convinced they've used the randomization of collectibles to pull the McDonald's Monopoly scam. Everyone gets Park Place but Boardwalk is strictly controlled.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

FuturePastNow posted:

I am now personally convinced they've used the randomization of collectibles to pull the McDonald's Monopoly scam. Everyone gets Park Place but Boardwalk is strictly controlled.

They literally have. The most valuable sets have different spawn rates. For the coins, I think 5 of them only have a 2% chance of spawning. That's why I don't recommend Collector to new players, especially with animal spawns now working so well.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Are general daily challenges on a different cycle than the role challenges? Every night at the same time I see the wildlife photography event invite that lets me know the challenges have reset but the general ones are still the same. Tonight I was able to eat saloon almonds several minutes past the hour and I still got the challenge credit/gold reward.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
They should increase the payout if they're going to gently caress with us like that.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 103 days!
Picked this up the other day. 30 hours in and I've barely left the Heartlands. It's not bad.

I like waking up in the morning and drinking coffee and indulging in the fantasy of being a meaningful part of a close-knit community that provides for each other.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Freudian slippers posted:

They literally have. The most valuable sets have different spawn rates. For the coins, I think 5 of them only have a 2% chance of spawning. That's why I don't recommend Collector to new players, especially with animal spawns now working so well.

Maybe strictly for money made per minute, but even then it's close. And farming animals really feels grindy and unfun after just a short time. Whereas Collector lets you go virtually anywhere you want and you still make money. I usually just run down a few daily challenges I feel like finishing up and pick up a load of collectables on the way. And finishing collectable sets is just a bonus in my view. Selling collectables for just their base value to Nazar is still very profitable, just less so.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

croup coughfield posted:

Picked this up the other day. 30 hours in and I've barely left the Heartlands. It's not bad.

I like waking up in the morning and drinking coffee and indulging in the fantasy of being a meaningful part of a close-knit community that provides for each other.

And if you get the hankering for new vistas, the rest of the map is open north of the Montana, minus Sisika Island penitentiary and that one northern fort. (New vistas include aggressive secesh holdouts, homicidal hilljacks, gators, cougars and even more grizzlies.) See the fancy men and women of St Denis! Embrace the grubby laborers of Annesberg! Get into knife fights in the lawless streets of Van Horn! gently caress around and find out at Butcher Hollow!

You can even return to Ice Station Colter and the surrounding blizzardy area, in case you have a fever or something.

Found me a Snowflake Moose last night - along with pre-Legendary-spawn a couple female mooses. Big fucker didn't spawn right off, so I headed up the NE slope for a fossil, couldn't find a way to cross and come down north of the mountains, and then Antler King spawned. The moose hoodie does *not* have the same rack. :argh: Wanna knock people over and have to strafe through doorways and poo poo because of those things.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

e: fixed

Are there any good youtube videos that go into little mysteries in the RDR2 game?

Sandwolf fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 1, 2020

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
this dudes whole channel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6eP18qJ3IE

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Yeah this guy is great.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

You should tell her that having 8 rare things is a super rare thing

Buy the tallow recipe to make glue and stack all your coins together, checkmate

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Capn Beeb posted:

Buy the tallow recipe to make glue and stack all your coins together, checkmate

Get a cross-time mail from the Mojave Wasteland, start making coin shot. :getin:

np19
Dec 25, 2016

toggle posted:

Yeah this guy is great.

Seconding. Not all of his theories I buy, but boy do I respect the care he takes in developing his ideas.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Honestly that letter regarding Gavin makes his theory pretty open and shut in my opinion. Obviously there's a little wiggle room but his theory makes the most sense and really in-line with what Rockstar likes to do.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 103 days!
I saw a bird kill itself today. I was stalking through the territory of the legendary buck and startled it and it up and flew into a tree. Sick poo poo in this game.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I like it when a bird decides to suicide into my character's face, it never is not funny.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Realized I could totally get the outlaw pass with in game currency and I’ve been chipping away at it. Actually got 7/7 general challenges for once.

31 coins now, figure like 2 more days and I’m good.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

skooma512 posted:

Realized I could totally get the outlaw pass with in game currency and I’ve been chipping away at it. Actually got 7/7 general challenges for once.

31 coins now, figure like 2 more days and I’m good.

I did the same thing. Pretty cool that it levels up even if you don't have it already. I saved up for the 40 gold by doing dailies for the past couple weeks, and I was already at like level 60 when I got enough to unlock it.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 103 days!
Found some fukken weirdos wandering around Lemoyne.

Entirely too friendly and excited to see me. They could be cannibals or Devil worshippers or something like that but honestly I think they're just frontier swingers. Anyway I left because the old west fetlife vibration was too strong to bear and given everything that's going on, I really don't need to get dragged into someone's weird sex drama.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
RD2 is one of my favorite games so I love seeing thoughts and reactions from someone going through for the first time. Please keep updating as you go along!

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I was trying to hunt for a perfect squirrel pelt up in the mountains and a couple of hillbillies came and crashed my camp.

They threatened me to gtfo or they'd kill me next time. So I domed both of them and dumped their bodies in a pond.

I hope this doesn't come back to bite me in the rear end.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 103 days!

Nash posted:

RD2 is one of my favorite games so I love seeing thoughts and reactions from someone going through for the first time. Please keep updating as you go along!

Honestly this is how I spend like 70% of my time. I'm still wrapping up Chapter 2 after just under 50 hours. My pace through this game has been glacial so far, but I'm about to push some plot missions and open up some more stuff I hope. Happy to keep you apprised, pardner.

I did finally manage to get a decent screenshot tho

I was so sure Micah's mission was going to be the trigger to move camp, I was avoiding him and doing John's stuff, and the goddamn sheep trigger the move lmao

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?

croup coughfield posted:

Entirely too friendly and excited to see me. They could be cannibals or Devil worshippers or something like that but honestly I think they're just frontier swingers. Anyway I left because the old west fetlife vibration was too strong to bear and given everything that's going on, I really don't need to get dragged into someone's weird sex drama.

Oh no no, go back! Sit down, eat something, have a drink!

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 103 days!
heading down to the courthouse to change my name to Hoagy MacIntosh irl

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I unlocked it! :krad:

Used treasure to close the gap to 40g, got half back from the pass already too.

Athaboros posted:

I did the same thing. Pretty cool that it levels up even if you don't have it already. I saved up for the 40 gold by doing dailies for the past couple weeks, and I was already at like level 60 when I got enough to unlock it.

It's tough but surprisingly fair. They let you level it, they give you the gold back, and it's actually not too protracted if you have a full streak.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

skooma512 posted:

I unlocked it! :krad:

Used treasure to close the gap to 40g, got half back from the pass already too.

It's tough but surprisingly fair. They let you level it, they give you the gold back, and it's actually not too protracted if you have a full streak.

Actually, you *make* gold on the Outlaw Pass - treasure maps are part of the gimmes.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I got this game on the PC and played through the storyline to the point I am now at the epilogue. Jumped on RDO and at least on the PC it was completely empty of other players and pretty much everything was locked behind either gold or cash. Absent the online interaction, is there a point to playing it online? My understanding is that a lot of the little mysteries like the St Dennis vampire are storymode only.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

croup coughfield posted:

Hah that was fun. Entirely telegraphed but still somehow funny

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Challenged to my first feud today and won 5-1. Scoped repeater ftw.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
My favorite thing about Harriet is how she seems to be pissed off at me even when I haven't killed a single animal.

Like, the other day I had the whole "go 24 in game hours without killing an animal" challenge, and I abided to the point that I tranq'd a pack of wolves when they attacked me. Then right before it ticked as being completed, I went over to sell some samples, and she wound up drugging me angrily, like almost always. When I came to a few meters away, the no animal kills challenge completed. There was no way I'd actually done anything to make her mad.

I doubt Rockstar will fix this poo poo any time soon, since they honestly don't seem to care too much, but this is the opposite of what I was hoping for lol. I was hoping maybe they'd update Harriet to forgive you if you kill an animal in self defense, but instead now she's just drugging people with wild abandon.

Edit: side note, the 24 hours w/o killing an animal challenge is way harder than it should be, what with all the suicidal critters throwing themselves beneath my horse's hooves. I've just gotten to where I stay off horseback when trying to complete it.

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 14, 2020

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Just take the time to relax in camp, bars or the shine shack...does fishing count as "kill" if you don't catch'n'release?

Oh hey, new moose! Get the mission from hippie chick... and glitch, where I arrive at the start point, can do things, but the loading screen keeps going. :suicide:

Luckily, I did get the Sun Gator bellowing right at Lagras, and found that if you plink the aggro gators :v: with trank rounds, they'll gently caress off some so you can get closer. (Once they come after you, they won't stop, but you can clear a path.)

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I've been grinding the last few weeks like mad to get to 40 gold. Tonight I'll get my 14 day streak, but I'm only around level 22ish for the outlaw pass stuff and it ends in a couple days. I think I'm okay with that- whatever I get, I get, and if I keep the streak going then I'll have enough gold for whatever I want in the future.

Some of the challenges are ridiculous though... I haven't yet been able to do all 7 of the daily challenges.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I'm finally getting around to RDR2 on PC. I have a pretty nice system - 8700K and a 2080ti. I have a 1440p Gsync monitor, and have the settings configured to hit roughly 68FPS average in the benchmark. It runs really well most of the time, but then it'll suddenly tank and stutter down to 30FPS for a second or two. I thought this might be CPU related, but the utilization never gets above 75 percent or so. It seems like it's chugging to stream in new data or something, but I have plenty of overhead, so I'm not sure what gives. Any ideas? it sounds like stuttering has been a pretty common issue with the PC port. Do I need a CPU with more cores to run it smoothly?

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Glass of Milk posted:

I've been grinding the last few weeks like mad to get to 40 gold. Tonight I'll get my 14 day streak, but I'm only around level 22ish for the outlaw pass stuff and it ends in a couple days. I think I'm okay with that- whatever I get, I get, and if I keep the streak going then I'll have enough gold for whatever I want in the future.

Some of the challenges are ridiculous though... I haven't yet been able to do all 7 of the daily challenges.

I think I've only gotten all seven General dailies once, maybe twice, and that was one of the "no MP activities" occasions which are rarer than in-game moose spawns.

Get what you can, do any role dailies you can (if you have the roles :v:) and just keep doing regular poo poo for Outlaw Pass XP. (I've actually maxed out the number of Role dailies a few times, but I own 'em all. Random revenooer roadblocks are good for 'shine missions, looting the dead can cover both specific Collector items and "find items on non-players". (Cheap way for that is kill some gators and skin 'em - the teeth count. :ese: A good run of gator teeth can also help the "20 donations to Cripps".) "Perfect carcasses" for Cripps can be perfect, or just whatever deer/antelope you can get - game seems to accept even poor ones for that.

Any more, I'm grinding out one or more easy dailies, then swapping over to Division 2, but I'm still keeping the streak going...

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Glass of Milk posted:

:rip: It was a slog for me and I had a full streak. How much gold do you have?

Reminder, treasure maps and bounties also pay gold. It may not be much but it may get you over the hump, and you get gold back from the outlaw pass.

Though if it's a wide gap, you're sadly not likely to make it realistically. Grinding is just going to make you hate the game. The outlaw pass stuff isn't really that amazing anyway. It's fine to just let it go.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

il serpente cosmico posted:

I'm finally getting around to RDR2 on PC. I have a pretty nice system - 8700K and a 2080ti. I have a 1440p Gsync monitor, and have the settings configured to hit roughly 68FPS average in the benchmark. It runs really well most of the time, but then it'll suddenly tank and stutter down to 30FPS for a second or two. I thought this might be CPU related, but the utilization never gets above 75 percent or so. It seems like it's chugging to stream in new data or something, but I have plenty of overhead, so I'm not sure what gives. Any ideas? it sounds like stuttering has been a pretty common issue with the PC port. Do I need a CPU with more cores to run it smoothly?

You running on a HDD, SSD, M2? From memory most of the optimizations have been GPU fixes rather than CPU. How much RAM do you have? How much of your GPU RAM do your settings commit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Dameius posted:

You running on a HDD, SSD, M2? From memory most of the optimizations have been GPU fixes rather than CPU. How much RAM do you have? How much of your GPU RAM do your settings commit?

I have an NVME drive and 32 gigs of RAM. RDR2 is using about 4.5gigs of my VRAM (11 available). I tried switching to DX12 and it made the problem worse.

It isn't unplayable or anything, but the periodic stutter is annoying.