Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I know it's not quite the right thread, but I just finished what I think is the last main story mission in Division 1 (the one that ends with a helicopter fight against the LMB).

I was planning on clearing out the side missions and the new things that popped up in the other zones, but I've just started getting a code Lima error where the game can't connect to the PSN network or done such.

My connections fine and everything but I can't really find an answer to it on Google.

What I'm wondering is whether or not to just jump into the Division 2 and just skip all that stuff that's now appeared if I'm getting some weird server connection issue.

I kinda feel that some of that new endgame content is probably plot related though.

Kin fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Kin posted:

I know it's not quite the right thread, but I just finished what I think is the last main story mission in Division 1 (the one that ends with a helicopter fight against the LMB).

I was planning on clearing out the side missions and the new things that popped up in the other zones, but I've just started getting a code Lima error where the game can't connect to the PSN network or done such.

My connections fine and everything but I can't really find an answer to it on Google.

What I'm wondering is whether or not to just jump into the Division 2 and just skip all that stuff that's now appeared if I'm getting some weird server connection issue.

I kinda feel that some of that new endgame content is probably plot related though.

There's one last Echo called Unknoy Signal and a final cutscene from Gordon Amherst. Both can be found on YouTube. There really wasn't anything else from the endgame or if there was, it's not significant.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Kin posted:

There's no real plot stuff left in Division 1, and Division 2 doesn't really interact with the Division 1's plot until the Warlords of New York expansion - Keener does visit DC and he's left some audiologs foreshadowing his return to NYC, but he's not involved in the DC storyline.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I just got back into they game and saw that.

I didn't realise all the areas and new icons I I had left to explore were just DLC multilplayer game modes.

Oh well, game done then because I've no interest in grinding gear just for the sake of it. It was fun, though very frustrating at times.

Time for Division 2 I guess.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

survival but you're just wandering around in summertime developing creeping anemia from all the goddamn mosquito bites

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Got a quick ? about expansions. I had an email with 55% off WON. I’m L30 WT5 at the moment.

I’m considering buying it but I hear that once you begin you can’t travel back to DC until you’ve completed it, is that right? Some of my friends are cheapskates and probably won’t buy WON and I don’t want to be stuck unable to play with them if you know what I mean.

If that is the case, could I use a second ‘agent’ in DC? I haven’t L8 agent I only used for a short while. Could I play in DC with that character while my ‘proper’ one is stuck in NY?

Cheers!

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

It's true you can't go back to DC until you complete the WONY story, but it's only 5 missions long. You can blast through it fairly quickly. You can keep playing with an alt in DC if you really want to though.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Inferior posted:

It's true you can't go back to DC until you complete the WONY story, but it's only 5 missions long. You can blast through it fairly quickly. You can keep playing with an alt in DC if you really want to though.

Is it? I thought it would be longer than that. Thanks for clarifying.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

monkeytennis posted:

Honestly Div2's maps in both DC and NY seem smaller than Div1. Like you click on a point to light up the little pathfinding thing and you think "poo poo that's a long haul better fast travel to the safe house only 700m from it" because in Div1 maybe a similar route on screen was 1.4 km or whatever but instead it's like 500m and you're fast traveling to a safe house that's 75m from it. Sometimes you end up spending more time dealing with the convoluted exits to some of these safe houses and settlements than you save in travel time

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

You can blast through WONY in about 4-5 hours, there was some theory-crafting a few months back about the time it takes getting a decent AFK skill heroic-capable build together from Level 30 and I did it on an alt just to see if it was possible. Div2's NYC is really pretty though so first time through it's worth soaking it in a bit, it's very dense with environmental storytelling.

I think Div2's main DC map feels smaller because it isn't a huge U-Shape around the central DZ like Div1's, they're probably close-ish in size.

Recently swapped from a 'Lady Death'+4pcHunter/Intimidate/Adrenaline solo build to 'Chatterbox'+4pcHunter/Intimidate/Bloodsucker and hoo boy is that a lot more fun. It feels extremely satisfying never reloading and keeping max 5x stacks up for whole missions, just way more fun. Looking forward to swapping the 'Memento' backpack into it once I get that.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I tried Hunter's Fury + The Mop + Liquid Engineer + Intimidate and it's fun so long as I initiate combat right and I die instantly otherwise.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Hrm. Created a second character, boosted to 30 and went directly to Noo Yawk. Did the initial fight and walkabout to get to Haven, picked up some loot along the way, and find out the "free blueprints for donations" thing I was reading about back in the March posts was killed off. :(

Might still gently caress with that character, try to grind to 40 so the Season rewards will be available, but goddamn if it doesn't feel grindy as poo poo, especially not knowing the ins and out of the new gear and specialities and all. (Ended up with a bunch of purple guns, all with Ignite. :supaburn:) Threw a bunch of the loot into the trunk, so my original lower-level char could sell poo poo and buy the high-end Socom M1A that was offered with Ranger. (There's also an AA-12 shotgun I could buy. Also with Ranger. :pwn:)

Air & Space Museum wasn't too bad, first foray into the Dark Zone (NE) was quick'n'dirty, managed to clear one supply drop and extracted three items with almost no enemies (big loving change from Div1 *COME MURDER ME HERE* extractions) and even avoided whatever rogue agent was over at the landmark near the exit door. Cleared some more poo poo, took the crashed airplane control point, cleared the rooftop fountains and discovered the Castle. Managed to aggro random enemies to the south of that trying to find a phone and was forced to take the control point there, stumbled into some other enemy activity chasing an ECHO, finally found the phone, and..

oh, some dude called the Snitch I guess. Gave me a bounty to chase, but found some museum staff-type folks as well, who gave me a different mission. Went back to the rooftop fountains, it's just a bounty, how hard could it be? (Level 17)

Elite outside, couple veterans and a bunch of assholes. Same inside. Oh hey, bounty targets are on the roof? Not a prob...

Wait, *three* of 'em?

And one is running a deflector drone?

EXCUSE ME WHILE I HIVE AND DRONE YOU ALL. And run back downstairs for more ammo and time to heal.

Finally whacked them all, dragged rear end back to White Castle House to buy Turret and one varieant. (Assault & sniper.)

This could be amusing...

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

UnknownMercenary posted:

This still pales in comparison to Heroic DARPA in 18 minutes. Or that one time they had us speedrun the Zoo. But Heroic DARPA was definitely the worst lmao, especially since it was pre-nerf.

maybe for you :smugdog:

monkeytennis posted:

It is, in a sense. You have 5 main missions yes, but also a few sidequest-style missions you have to clear as well. Each investigation is 3-4 steps long and the main mission is the last of the chain. That said, the sidequest style missions are very quick so it doesn't change the fact that WONY is pretty fast to focus through. Skip collectibles, non-essential sidequests, only do the critical path stuff and save the rest for later.

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 30, 2020

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Ygolonac posted:

..., first foray into the Dark Zone (NE) was quick'n'dirty, managed to clear one supply drop and extracted three items with almost no enemies (big loving change from Div1 *COME MURDER ME HERE* extractions) and even avoided whatever rogue agent was over at the landmark near the exit door.

Asking the thread generally, how is the DZ these days? Easy to farm or pvp / hacker nightmare?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ok this exposure event is WAAAAAAYYYYYY easier solo holy gently caress

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

pmchem posted:

Asking the thread generally, how is the DZ these days? Easy to farm or pvp / hacker nightmare?

i don't think many people DZ farm these days to know. The loot quality isn't as good as just grouping up for heroic farming and DZ-exclusive item rarity is so bad most people I know with good Orbits and Gifts and whatever got them from caches which draw from the DZ loot table.

I would like to see a reason to go into the DZ more, like rewarding weekly DZ tasks with caches that give legendary-quality DZ items, but :shrug:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

FAUXTON posted:

Ok this exposure event is WAAAAAAYYYYYY easier solo holy gently caress

I was having a hard time with but as it turns out it's also very buggy, at least on PS4. Sometimes I don't get any notification that the exposure transferred and/or I don't get the icon above an enemy's head indicating he's exposed.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Jose Oquendo posted:

I was having a hard time with but as it turns out it's also very buggy, at least on PS4. Sometimes I don't get any notification that the exposure transferred and/or I don't get the icon above an enemy's head indicating he's exposed.

I turned on the tracking for it and went after the melee and elites parts first, it'll give you a chirp when the exposure is full and if it takes, they'll get staggered for a second. The ISAC callouts are real spotty but the underlying mechanism seems to be working as intended. It's just that it can look like you've got full exposure and it'll be just short of it. If you're playing in a group it gets real weird because I guess they're killing the enemy before you can proc the melee transfer or something. Turn the difficulty down to Hard and run Wall Street, then just bust out some kind of shield build and get real close.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Man Legendary Tower (81 and up) is not loving around. Whats a good build to use? I keep hearing good stuff about Hunters Fury and and I think I have most of the pieces.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

BexGu posted:

Man Legendary Tower (81 and up) is not loving around. Whats a good build to use? I keep hearing good stuff about Hunters Fury and and I think I have most of the pieces.

I feel like Hunters Fury would get you killed because it's made for up close. It buffs shotgun and smg damage.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Legendary almost requires you doing as much damage as possible in the shortest time possible from as far away as possible. That generally means an M1A Classic with Boomerang/Rifleman combined with Focus and Vigilance running crusader shield and revive hive.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Liberty Island is a fuckin' slog at the best of times and I hate ever having to run it for any reason

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Orange Carlisle posted:

Liberty Island is a fuckin' slog at the best of times and I hate ever having to run it for any reason

It's fine up until baby razorback. I always get stuck with groups where half the team still doesn't know how to take it down so it's always 1 or 2 doing all the work. Then the dumb part where you shoot down the flying drone and then the stupid room where the skills pop out. The room is fine on story mode for the plot (I use that word loosely) but it should be removed for the other modes. Then the Keener fight itself is bad.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's fine up until baby razorback. I always get stuck with groups where half the team still doesn't know how to take it down so it's always 1 or 2 doing all the work. Then the dumb part where you shoot down the flying drone and then the stupid room where the skills pop out. The room is fine on story mode for the plot (I use that word loosely) but it should be removed for the other modes. Then the Keener fight itself is bad.

That's what I'm saying - if you can name a handful of different segments of a mission that are awful to play through it shouldn't have been designed that way or it should have been split into two separate missions. The classified missions were like the perfect mission length.

On a side note it says the manhunt target for "Shade" has ended but I can still complete items in Shade's manhunt menu - has the time passed to kill Shade? That'd be really lovely considering for the last week many players were unable to play the game.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Orange Carlisle posted:

That's what I'm saying - if you can name a handful of different segments of a mission that are awful to play through it shouldn't have been designed that way or it should have been split into two separate missions. The classified missions were like the perfect mission length.

On a side note it says the manhunt target for "Shade" has ended but I can still complete items in Shade's manhunt menu - has the time passed to kill Shade? That'd be really lovely considering for the last week many players were unable to play the game.

The manhunt stuff is available all season. The only thing that expires is the exp bonus when the target is first unlocked.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Orange Carlisle posted:

The flow to that mission is terrible and definitely feels much longer than it needs to be

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Stuck with doing Whoresons of Noo Yawk last night, made it to 34 by way of 3/4 of the Parnell hunt, plus sewer-crawling (finally finding enemies down there yay :ninja::hf::toot:), one Propaganda, one or two CPs, and some SHD/random encounters. (Get close to one briefcase right outside Haven, four old-school rioters spawn. "Yeah. let's get him!" Might not be prudent when your "vic" is wearing all this tactigear, carrying a drum-fed shotgun and full-dress LMG, and has a very aggressive electric birdie hovering about his head.) Oh, and a Safe Room, as part of the manhunt.

Speaking of which, swapped my pulse to assault turret before entering the Tombs, seemed OK. Between drone and turret, I was mostly OK, although it did taker time for my robots to murder people. Kept The Judge busy enough to be backshot a bunch, after his initial charge to get near me. More less-impressive coverage in the big turret arena, died once oh well, but did finally clear it and got a Darkness out of it so OK I guess. (Immediately swapped the 12x scope for an ACOG, needed a battle rifle more than snipey action.)

So, fast-travel back to Haven, go through all my new poo poo yay, and casually check my stats...

Oh.

I guess my robots might be more impressive if I wasn't Tier Zero, huh? :doh: Was running Grenade Launcher rear end in a top hat, used it maybe once before the final Tombs fight.

Pretty sure I have enough decent gear to do six plus Technician, will try that tonight.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Ygolonac posted:

Stuck with doing Whoresons of Noo Yawk last night, made it to 34 by way of 3/4 of the Parnell hunt, plus sewer-crawling (finally finding enemies down there yay :ninja::hf::toot:), one Propaganda, one or two CPs, and some SHD/random encounters. (Get close to one briefcase right outside Haven, four old-school rioters spawn. "Yeah. let's get him!" Might not be prudent when your "vic" is wearing all this tactigear, carrying a drum-fed shotgun and full-dress LMG, and has a very aggressive electric birdie hovering about his head.) Oh, and a Safe Room, as part of the manhunt.

Speaking of which, swapped my pulse to assault turret before entering the Tombs, seemed OK. Between drone and turret, I was mostly OK, although it did taker time for my robots to murder people. Kept The Judge busy enough to be backshot a bunch, after his initial charge to get near me. More less-impressive coverage in the big turret arena, died once oh well, but did finally clear it and got a Darkness out of it so OK I guess. (Immediately swapped the 12x scope for an ACOG, needed a battle rifle more than snipey action.)

So, fast-travel back to Haven, go through all my new poo poo yay, and casually check my stats...

Oh.

I guess my robots might be more impressive if I wasn't Tier Zero, huh? :doh: Was running Grenade Launcher rear end in a top hat, used it maybe once before the final Tombs fight.

Pretty sure I have enough decent gear to do six plus Technician, will try that tonight.

Do 5 + technician if you've got the free skill core perk. Gives you a red slot for shooty, also look for the In Sync talent on a weapon, big damage boost.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Just loving around getting used to this high-end play, trying to get to 40 so I can get Season loot.

Pretty sure I have/had In Sync on something, IIRC, on the WONY dude. Be sweet to have it on my DC lowbie, though, because she's skilling around all day er'ry day.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

skaianDestiny posted:

The manhunt stuff is available all season. The only thing that expires is the exp bonus when the target is first unlocked.

Good to know, thank you. I thought I was locked out of the entire thing because I missed the first portion due to the bug.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

So I've been having fun with the new set. It's alright.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phq0xepI6_4

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Every pubbie group I get has at least 2 people running it, so it's bound to get nerfed.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Weeee, level 38! :toot: Spent the first part of the playing day grinding poo poo up for my recal library waiting in queue for 350+ slots to open, but once I pimped my gear some, I went hunting SHD caches and CPs/safehouses, not to mention any loot left sitting around and bounties as they popped up. 200+ seconds of tier 6 drone/turret does simplify these multi-named elite encounters some.

2 parts left for both Conley and Dragov, guess I should go check out this abandoned skyscraper too. Expect I'll hit 40 tomorrow sometime, get to season'ing.

I've gotten a selection of high-end gear and guns, but no actual exotics or gearset items - is this the way it works? Can't remember if I was getting the special goodies in Div1 before getting to WT1 or not...

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Fabricated posted:

Every pubbie group I get has at least 2 people running it, so it's bound to get nerfed.

The same could've been said for the Eclipse set in season 2. It's the new thing on the block and isn't complete poo poo, so yeah of course a lot of people are gonna be using it. I don't think Eclipse got super nerfed, and I'd consider it more OP than Hunter's Fury.

It's got very big drawbacks (enemies need to be close together, can basically only use SMG or shotguns meaning close range, much less effective against a single tough target like heavies and dogs if you don't have mooks to get disorient statuses from), meaning it's not as good outside of the situations the video showed.

Chatterbox is super fun with Hunter's Fury.

skaianDestiny fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Oct 4, 2020

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

UnknownMercenary posted:

So I've been having fun with the new set. It's alright.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phq0xepI6_4

Is that a new gear set? Looks very useful!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

skaianDestiny posted:

The same could've been said for the Eclipse set in season 2. It's the new thing on the block and isn't complete poo poo, so yeah of course a lot of people are gonna be using it. I don't think Eclipse got super nerfed, and I'd consider it more OP than Hunter's Fury.

It's got very big drawbacks (enemies need to be close together, can basically only use SMG or shotguns meaning close range, much less effective against a single tough target like heavies and dogs if you don't have mooks to get disorient statuses from), meaning it's not as good outside of the situations the video showed.

Seeing as how it specifically gives a bonus to SMG and shotguns, you'd be kneecapping your damage output using anything else.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

skaianDestiny posted:

All of this, plus most of the bonuses are activated on kill, which means it drastically falls off in effectiveness in a 4 player group due to health scaling. Even moreso if there are multiple people running it fighting for the bonuses. I can see it eating PVP specific nerfs, but the set itself is already fairly knife's edge in terms of PVE effectiveness.

monkeytennis posted:

Is that a new gear set? Looks very useful!

It is, it was introduced a couple weeks ago with the new season.

Wamdoodle posted:

Seeing as how it specifically gives a bonus to SMG and shotguns, you'd be kneecapping your damage output using anything else.

Not really. The build can be quite potent with ARs as well, which also shine in close to medium range combat. The 15% damage bonus to SMGs and shotguns is a nice bonus but does not really make or break builds. Since that's an additive damage boost it's a drop in the bucket for a dedicated DPS build.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

skaianDestiny posted:

That 5m nerf to Eclipse actually really hurts. It's still good and will mostly wipe entire pods of enemies if you can land your DOT before they split up, but that extra 5m is what made it nearly broken and let it cascade in ways where you could kill entire encounters worth of enemies with a single fire sticky/riot foam combo. Now it just simply doesn't work as well since it can't regularly cascade from one spawn location of enemies to another outside of specific missions where the spawns are so close it doesn't matter.

Hunter's Fury works pretty well on most heavies IMO because the damage increase is enough that at least for LMG heavies you can reliably one-shot their ammo belt over and over and kill them that way. Shotguns also a pretty good at hitting the Cleaner/Riker heavy weak-points- the Riker heavies are still really obnoxious though since they still randomly fire their stupid loving rivet guns through disorient/stagger/fire/etc

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 4, 2020

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Fabricated posted:

That 5m nerf to Eclipse actually really hurts.

Not in my experience. It's still trivially easy to deliver unending CC and DOT damage to every enemy in existence while at a safe distance. destiny's right about how drat good it is. It's still the strongest CC build in the game and suffers no significant loss in a team setting from the change.

more importantly eclipse fills a unique role in high level content, HF does not. You can get damage a lot of ways (most of them less risky than HF) but you can't really get CC the way Eclipse does any other way.

if you have problems foaming spawns fast enough, just fire more foam. You get a lot. :shrug:

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

You can also still do really stupid poo poo as long as you use the chest piece, even more with a Creeping Death backpack.

Just don't nerf my shotgun set. :saddowns: