Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

Unfortunately it was not accompanied by an equally perfect raise. Apparently since I’m already at the highest level, there’s apparently no room to grow!

Nope. New job time. Not like stop immediately what you're doing and ignore the fact that there's a pandemic going on, but like, time to start looking. Too many dumb companies try to gently caress around with their employees like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Someone from my old job (internal move, I still work for the same organization) reached out to me for help this week. Of course I'm happy to help, but they have someone who's supposed to be helping them. Apparently he came over and looked at it, threw his hands up, and told them to call me, which, while very funny, is not anything close to how this is supposed to work. The problem was not complicated. I just do not understand people who refuse to figure out how to do anything they haven't been explicitly taught.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Internet Explorer posted:

Nope. New job time. Not like stop immediately what you're doing and ignore the fact that there's a pandemic going on, but like, time to start looking. Too many dumb companies try to gently caress around with their employees like this.

Lol I had two different old co-workers try to headhunt me last week. I actually really like my current place, mostly because my coworkerd are nice and not into sexual harrassment. But 30% of my takehome goes to rent, and I'm only putting up with that for so long.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Nice. Today I attended one meeting, scheduled some stuff, and trimmed bushes in my yard.

Working in IT 3.0: Not Remotely Working

:hf:

My fiancee got me a jigsaw puzzle and between meetings, or when my packer builds are building, or whenever the gently caress i feel like it I've been out in the living room working on it. So relaxing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is it seriously not possible to mount an Azure File Share that uses Azure AD authentication? That's insane to me.

Identity-based authentication is basically restricted to machines that can see a domain controller?

Yes. For now at least. I think the problem is that it relies on Kerberos tokens, and the stuff you need to do to even get AAD devices talking to local network resources if they aren't hybrid joined is pretty daunting. It's definitely all improving though.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Nope. New job time.

This. Once a company tells you there is no room to grow, the social contract between you and that company expires. This is the contract that states that you will give them your best work and in return they will provide you with opportunities for upward advancement.

Sure they gave you perfect marks, but it’s all a sham if there is no advancement at the end of that review.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Sadly all the company will learn is to leave mediocre reviews for their best employees and hope the self-esteem hit keeps them there

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Sometimes I feel a little bit of impostor syndrome, and then I have days like today where I have to escalate a major issue to someone on another team and they can't loving communicate and require constant reminders from multiple people to even get a status update.

I'm not always the most brilliant technical mind in the world, but at least I can typically communicate what the problem is, what needs to happen, timelines, etc. in a relatively concise and understandable manner. I really appreciate the years I spent having to be on weekly project calls and going onsite with a bunch of construction folks who knew almost nothing about my fields of expertise.

Agrikk posted:

This. Once a company tells you there is no room to grow, the social contract between you and that company expires. This is the contract that states that you will give them your best work and in return they will provide you with opportunities for upward advancement.

Sure they gave you perfect marks, but it’s all a sham if there is no advancement at the end of that review.

As someone who spent years getting strung along on 3% raises and promises of promotion sometime in the future, listen to what these posters are saying.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

BeastOfExmoor posted:

As someone who spent years getting strung along on 3% raises and promises of promotion sometime in the future, listen to what these posters are saying.

n'thing this - once you get out you'll be much happier and probably richer

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

luminalflux posted:

My fiancee got me a jigsaw puzzle and between meetings, or when my packer builds are building, or whenever the gently caress i feel like it I've been out in the living room working on it. So relaxing.

I've got model kits under construction on my coffee table. The airbrush and vent hood are in the other room. SiP ? Please, I'm in here with an airbrush and a stack of kits as tall as I am. I'm not isolated, I'm busy.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

klosterdev posted:

I don't understand how "No more room to grow" is ever an actual unironic thing that companies consider exists in an IT-perspective. Even if you're literally perfect at your job and have learned all there is to know in your specialization, you can begin to learn related specializations and continue to become more valuable to the organization by building your skill stack. From a practical perspective I don't think there's any kind of hard limit on how valuable you can be to your organization, especially if you can focus on automating your lower-level tasks so you can spend more time on higher-level ones.

From what I've heard, doesn't this phrasing basically come up because insecure management will be promoting an employee into making more then them? If that's what's going on, is the counter around it amount to 'I could do the managers job if I had to, but the reverse isn't true, and my skillset and attitude makes me more valuable to the company'?
Or is there a better way to phrase it?

I know we have some top performers at big companies chime in the thread. When you hit a ceiling, how do you break through it?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

klosterdev posted:

I don't understand how "No more room to grow" is ever an actual unironic thing that companies consider exists in an IT-perspective. Even if you're literally perfect at your job and have learned all there is to know in your specialization, you can begin to learn related specializations and continue to become more valuable to the organization by building your skill stack. From a practical perspective I don't think there's any kind of hard limit on how valuable you can be to your organization, especially if you can focus on automating your lower-level tasks so you can spend more time on higher-level ones.

spoiler alert: it has nothing to do with you not being able to grow or become more useful to the organization. It has everything to do with the organization not wanting to pay you a cent more than they currently do no matter what effort/time you put in.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I hate when people proudly put "HTML/CSS/Bootstrap" on their resume, but couldn't center something to save their life.

Also if you put "C++" on your resume and have no projects to show, I am going to gently caress with you by asking "What do you think the biggest improvements have been from C++ 11, to 20?"

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

I hate when people proudly put "HTML/CSS/Bootstrap" on their resume, but couldn't center something to save their life.

Also if you put "C++" on your resume and have no projects to show, I am going to gently caress with you by asking "What do you think the biggest improvements have been from C++ 11, to 20?"

Or asking “full stack” developers which direction the stack grows on x86

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

That i havent had to touch c++ since learning python, more figgies please *holds hands out*

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Programming languages known: CSS, HTML5, XML

:monocle:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Please don't "gently caress with" potential employees, by all means challenge them on their resume but deliberately trying to trick people is really goddamn lovely and would be as big of a red flag as someone who has a skill on their resume that they don't know. Like, goddamn, there's some people living hand to mouth even in the computer toucher world right now who are desperate.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Matt Zerella posted:

Please don't "gently caress with" potential employees, by all means challenge them on their resume but deliberately trying to trick people is really goddamn lovely and would be as big of a red flag as someone who has a skill on their resume that they don't know. Like, goddamn, there's some people living hand to mouth even in the computer toucher world right now who are desperate.

I agree. I don't try to trick people or have little "gotchas" during technical interviews. I'm mostly looking for good foundational knowledge, unless it's an SME type position being filled.

However, if it's on the resume, I *am* going to ask questions related to it. And if it says that a person is SME in certain technologies, you bet I'm going to prepare some SME level questions prior to the interview.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

I'm not tricking them, I'm just trying to get them to admit that they really don't know much about X or only did one tiny thing with it that one time in college.

Which is just fine. If you seem smart and willing to learn we can work with that, but don't apply for a programming job that isn't entry-level if you don't have any experience.

If anything it's HR's fault for scheduling these people for an interview without actually asking us if they should have them come in.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

I'm not tricking them, I'm just trying to get them to admit that they really don't know much about X or only did one tiny thing with it that one time in college.

Which is just fine. If you seem smart and willing to learn we can work with that, but don't apply for a programming job that isn't entry-level if you don't have any experience.

If anything it's HR's fault for scheduling these people for an interview without actually asking us if they should have them come in.

You do see how I came to that based on your original post though right? I don't mean to get snippy but with us headed for a third wave of Covid and seeing thousands of airline workers laid off today I'm a little sensitive about this right now.

There's going to be a whole lot of people out there shooting their shot, regardless of qualifications and like you said if its someone who is willing to learn and be honest, I don't really see it as a strike against them. Its no worse than some dipshit who gets a C-level position because Daddy is a Harvard alum and they spent 6 years failing upwards for a Harvard MBA.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

You do see how I came to that based on your original post though right? I don't mean to get snippy but with us headed for a third wave of Covid and seeing thousands of airline workers laid off today I'm a little sensitive about this right now.

There's going to be a whole lot of people out there shooting their shot, regardless of qualifications and like you said if its someone who is willing to learn and be honest, I don't really see it as a strike against them. Its no worse than some dipshit who gets a C-level position because Daddy is a Harvard alum and they spent 6 years failing upwards for a Harvard MBA.

Is it okay if this was last year?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

Is it okay if this was last year?

Shooters shoot is all I'm saying. Nothing wrong with an honest block, as long as you're not taking out their legs. Like I said, I'm just a little hypersensitive in the current environment. Apologies if I sound like a scold.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Anything on a resume is fair game. Asking about major version differences should not be a trip up.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I have C# on my resume, while I don’t give a poo poo about any of the new language features I sure can vent about the xrm library

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
<takes Commodore BASIC off of resume>

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
1:1 with the boss

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Got an update form the recruiter on my current interview loop. I am currently a finalist, but they have a couple more scheduled interviews to go through before they make a decision.

So I did not impress them enough that they canceled all other interviews.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

devmd01 posted:

1:1 with the boss

Your boss is The Big Giant Head from Third Rock From The Sun?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The Fool posted:

Got an update form the recruiter on my current interview loop. I am currently a finalist, but they have a couple more scheduled interviews to go through before they make a decision.

So I did not impress them enough that they canceled all other interviews.

Lmao, you should have thought less of them if they did.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

The Iron Rose posted:

Had my annual review today, and getting perfect marks in every single category possible from both my manager and my peer reviews was really really nice to see. I did get critique on being less didactic and building internal consensus, which is fair, but I’m really pleased with it overall! This was actually my first formal review ever in about ~4 years of IT, so it’s good to set the bar high.

Unfortunately it was not accompanied by an equally perfect raise. Apparently since I’m already at the highest level, there’s apparently no room to grow!

Which is a whole bunch of bullshit and I said as much in more polite words. We‘ll see where it lands. Still, a happy day overall.

Also I helped walk a developer through setting up his first highly available web server on GCP, which was fun even tho 90% of the time I was literally just linking him to the same piece of google documentation.

If they are not offering any raise I would almost expect your next review to have some points they are "concerned" about and will likely pick trivial things. The point being is that they do this as an excuse to not give you a raise for the 2nd year in a row since you no longer have a perfect score. This is based on my experience as well as my wife who has worked in upper management (non IT fields) for most of her professional life.

However it is perfectly fine to keep working the same job as long as you are happy. Sometimes people just want to come in, do their job and leave at quitting time.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Ok here's some glitch in the matrix poo poo.
We're migrating to Windows 10. There's a machine I'm gonna do an in-place upgrade on. User is off today and knows I'll be doing the upgrade. I go to his machine, it's still on and he's logged on. I shut down and pull the drive. I want to emphasize that I have never ever logged into this machine, locally or remotely.

I put the drive in the cloner, put the original aside, and take the clone to the machine. I pop it in, boot to the login screen. The user that Windows 7 presents is me.

I stare at this for a while. How the gently caress? I have never logged into this machine. I finally log into Windows and I get "preparing your desktop" because it's my first log on to this pc. I look at my profile folder. Sure enough, created just now.

So, I get the idea to check the original drive. Same exact process as above -- I'm presented as the expected / default user, windows creates a profile as I log in.

What the gently caress. Am I losing my mind? How is this possible

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
lol i'm not staying another 2 months without a raise, much less another 12. at a certain point, it's about respect. I'm happy here, but I have other ambitions too, and stagnation is death.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
COVID hosed us this year but I still managed to get a 1.1% raise.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
COVID and getting crypto'd at the same time hosed us this year but I managed to get 10%, a small bonus, and use of my old managers office and all it cost was my mental health, an ongoing feeling of burnout, and my manager plus another coworker getting fired

It's finally getting better tho :unsmith:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I’m just happy to have a job

We are forced to take a day of PTO every pay period

Now WFH got cut because other departments were making a stink about it

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I genuinely do understand the feeling of being lucky to have work still, especially as there's a bloodbath on the way, but it's depressing as hell to see pay and conditions getting hosed in real time for the second time in around a decade while housing costs and CEO pay keep going up.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

TheParadigm posted:

I know we have some top performers at big companies chime in the thread. When you hit a ceiling, how do you break through it?

Find a new job where there are bigger, better opportunities that allow you to either continue on your career arc or redefine it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Agrikk posted:

Find a new job where there are bigger, better opportunities that allow you to either continue on your career arc or redefine it.

It’s basically this.

The unfortunate reality is that most big career opportunities are not going to come from inside your current organization and the only way to do more than basic col/merit raises is to be willing to move on.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Weaponized Autism posted:

COVID hosed us this year but I still managed to get a 1.1% raise.

twice as much as my raise last year you lucky bastard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
lol my two hour maintenance has turned in an 8 hour shitshow.

I somehow broke idempotency in the kubernetes api lol and have some seriously nasty jq to try and reset the state of svc objects because k8s is trying to equal a non existent key to be equal to empty string which it definitely is not supposed to do.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 2, 2020