Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

fun hater posted:

its so weird to think of dark souls as turbo-edgy. i think you are the first human i've encountered to ever say or think that

its main aesthetic inspirations are Berserk and Beksinski paintings, i'm not sure it's exactly the right phrase but you probably get my point (especially in comparison to Zelda which is cartoony as poo poo)

Alaois posted:

Street Fighter 3: Third Strike is just Rock Band but with martial arts instead of musical instruments

street fighter 3: third strike and rock band are in entirely different genres. meanwhile, dark souls and OOT have almost the exact same structure, core gameplay loop, and combat system, and the former just bolts a bunch of poo poo on top and changes up the aesthetic elements, to the point where guitar hero vs. rock band is probably a fairer comparison (the latter is similarly standing on the former's shoulders even if it does a decent amount of new poo poo).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Need for Speed is just Halo: Combat Evolved but with cars instead of guns

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

meanwhile, dark souls and OOT have almost the exact same structure, core gameplay loop, and combat system, and the former just bolts a bunch of poo poo on top and changes up the aesthetic elements

no they don't and no it doesn't

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
since this is about internet personalities, before i talk any more of my insane defenses of fromsoft im going to link to lance mcdonald's channel, he's a fellow who dives into cut content in the soulsborne games (and some p.t. and sekiro stuff) and tries to restore it just to figure out what it was or what it was supposed to do. there is some infuriatingly cool poo poo that was left on the cutting room floor in both bloodborne and ds3; the ds3 stuff is understandable as it seems more ambitious and was a lot of mechanics and really new gameplay stuff but the bloodborne things are bosses and lost lore that gives you way more to hold onto when it comes to the plot.

if theres one thing i like about the series its the thought put into the use of videogame death as narrative death. uhhh like: in sekiro, you cannot be killed and keep coming back over and over again not just because its a videogame and thats how they work, but because you're cursed with dragon's blood that made you immortal. the dark souls protagonist is undead. your repeated deaths aren't really punishments if you can manage to get your souls back (deaths are only truly punitive in sekiro, where the death mechanic is a little bit more forgiving), they're just an expected part of the game. in a game series built on trial and error, they usually try to account for it while weaving it into the story as a major concept.

i dunno! the fromsoft model of videogame creation and storytelling is really cool to me. i think to 99% of humanity one or both things are probably horrible on some level

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

street fighter 3: third strike and rock band are in entirely different genres. meanwhile, dark souls and OOT have almost the exact same structure, core gameplay loop, and combat system, and the former just bolts a bunch of poo poo on top and changes up the aesthetic elements, to the point where guitar hero vs. rock band is probably a fairer comparison (the latter is similarly standing on the former's shoulders even if it does a decent amount of new poo poo).

i don't think this is true at all and i think the concepts you're trying to say they share are found so frequently in most rpgs that this conversation is teetering on being one of those "is a pizza an open faced sandwich" arguments

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

fun hater posted:

i dunno! the fromsoft model of videogame creation and storytelling is really cool to me. i think to 99% of humanity one or both things are probably horrible on some level

It took me four or five tries to get into Dark Souls but FromSoft pretty much ruined most games for me because of how well they integrate gameplay/environment/storytelling.

Show us Elden Ring you cowards!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Games templated off of Dark Souls and Zelda games have similar in-game progression paths of navigating a "dungeon" of lesser enemies and sometimes environmental hazards until you hit a boss and clear that zone, but they go about the progression in very different ways, to different ends, and with dozens of systems and mechanics that don't overlap at all beyond the broadest "3D real time combat sometimes with swords" sense.

I know it's a meme to call everything where you navigate a 3D world and hit other things with a melee object "a dark souls" but that's not actually true

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 1, 2020

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

Show us Elden Ring you cowards!

hello.jpg

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Alaois posted:

Need for Speed is just Halo: Combat Evolved but with cars instead of guns

Its Pokemon all the way down

fun hater
May 24, 2009

i will say having recently 100% completed sekiro i hated playing it more than ive hated playing any fromsoft game and im kind of shocked at how lazy parts of the game are compared to the weirdly lush and loving care given to the world building and environmental storytelling of ds3 and bloodborne. i cannot believe there are 5 copy pasted minibosses that are literally horrible to fight that turn out to be 5 different people. why were they all the same!! fromsoft, come on!! why was there a blazing bull clone in the end game!! come on!!! COME ON!!!

End boss Of SGaG*
Aug 9, 2000
I REPORT EVERY POST I READ!
It really grinds my gears when people call souls games metroidvanias. You don't get abilities or items that change how you traverse or interact with the world. Okay, in the barest technical sense you do, and bad metroidvanias have abilities that are just glorified keys. But dark souls only gives you the same ways to interact with the environment as doom: you can open one way doors or find keys, barely jump to adjacent or lower platforms, or get the ability to walk on damage floors. If you're generous it's like hexen with worse jumping.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

fun hater posted:

i will say having recently 100% completed sekiro i hated playing it more than ive hated playing any fromsoft game and im kind of shocked at how lazy parts of the game are compared to the weirdly lush and loving care given to the world building and environmental storytelling of ds3 and bloodborne. i cannot believe there are 5 copy pasted minibosses that are literally horrible to fight that turn out to be 5 different people. why were they all the same!! fromsoft, come on!! why was there a blazing bull clone in the end game!! come on!!! COME ON!!!

all FROM games have this to some degree. Bloodborne had a Cleric Beast clone and DS3 had an Ornstein clone clone

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Speaking as someone who hasn't played a Castlevania game since 1989 and a Metroid game since 1995. I will never understand what the two have in common.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Katt posted:

Speaking as someone who hasn't played a Castlevania game since 1989 and a Metroid game since 1995. I will never understand what the two have in common.

there's this game called Symphony of the Night

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Augus posted:

all FROM games have this to some degree. Bloodborne had a Cleric Beast clone and DS3 had an Ornstein clone clone

Ya'll motherfuckers should check out Armored Core then. From made the same game 10 times over the course of a decade, including one game that they literally threw together from scraps and bits as a stop gap because they game they originally meant to be it's 9th title--a number that incredible significance to the series--and general finale to the franchise up to that point was talking too long to make and they didn't want to miss their "One New Armored Core Every Year" self-imposed metric.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Augus posted:

laurence was the absolute worst part of that dlc for that reason!! grr

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

fun hater posted:

The Sakura Bull at least has a cool creepy cow skull face. Not sure which identical sets of minibosses bugged you, but it was kind of weird how those armored samurai dudes were everywhere and there's even one who's just a basic re-spawning enemy hanging around on top of it all.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

nine-gear crow posted:

Ya'll motherfuckers should check out Armored Core then. From made the same game 10 times over the course of a decade, including one game that they literally threw together from scraps and bits as a stop gap because they game they originally meant to be it's 9th title--a number that incredible significance to the series--and general finale to the franchise up to that point was talking too long to make and they didn't want to miss their "One New Armored Core Every Year" self-imposed metric.

And it all owns owns owns

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

The Sakura Bull at least has a cool creepy cow skull face. Not sure which identical sets of minibosses bugged you, but it was kind of weird how those armored samurai dudes were everywhere and there's even one who's just a basic re-spawning enemy hanging around on top of it all.

the headless i think are the worst fromsoft creations ever created under the guise of being "fun"

the sakura bull is cute but its a very boring fight. she deserves better

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The headless should've just taken a buff and been very tanky, not movement hampering and all that other unfun poo poo.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Katt posted:

Yeah as Alaois alludes to the games eventually became sorta-Metroid in a haunted house.

fun hater posted:

laurence was the absolute worst part of that dlc for that reason!! grr

I loving hate when they do clone bosses.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I wouldnt mind the headless if they werent such a drain on my Confetti.

Still had a lot of fun with Sekiro though.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Sekiro is my favorite From game because when you get good at the combat, it feels cool.

Ghost of Tsushima wanted to be a cool swordfighting game, but flopped on that, because your main character becomes a whirlwind of death fourteen seconds into the game on every difficulty setting, and every fight with enemies is over in seconds, no matter what, and then you're left standing in an empty camp.
The other From games flopped on that because being good at the combat in Dark Souls or Bloodborne doesn't feel cool at all, you just win fights with less damage.

CYBEReris posted:

in persona the huge poisonous swamp is called "queerphobia"

they removed the homophobic scenes from Persona 5's new version only in Western markets.

A brilliant move, sure to please queer Japanese people who still have to watch that poo poo and queer westerners who know that they are being pandered to for commercial reasons.

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 1, 2020

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
TheGamingBritShow drops a hot take about Jungle Beat fitting Donkey Kong's personality more than the DKC games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0Kalcys24U

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Jungle Beat video caused this to show up in my tab.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er4zU20y8kg

This show was weird.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
A song that's playing over a crocodile pirate's half-assed attempt to convince a dumb gorilla that he, too, is a crocodile pirate should not slap as hard as that did.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Casey Finnigan posted:

Sekiro is my favorite From game because when you get good at the combat, it feels cool.

Ghost of Tsushima wanted to be a cool swordfighting game, but flopped on that, because your main character becomes a whirlwind of death fourteen seconds into the game on every difficulty setting, and every fight with enemies is over in seconds, no matter what, and then you're left standing in an empty camp.
The other From games flopped on that because being good at the combat in Dark Souls or Bloodborne doesn't feel cool at all, you just win fights with less damage

Bloodborne has the best combat in video games...

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
It is fun to pull out a pistol and just shoot some decaying dude as he's in the middle of trying to smack you with a brick.

But it's more fun to use a katana to deflect a hundred attacks in a row or catch lightning and throw it back. You walk into a dojo and a guy revs up his secret special technique and you swat it out of the way and kill him in a second... good stuff!!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Supersonic Shine posted:

A song that's playing over a crocodile pirate's half-assed attempt to convince a dumb gorilla that he, too, is a crocodile pirate should not slap as hard as that did.

A lot of the music from that show is unreasonably catchy.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Jungle Beat video caused this to show up in my tab.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er4zU20y8kg

This show was weird.

The best episode is the one where K. Rool uses a robotic Candy Kong to shave off DK’s hair because he operates on Samson rules and not only does it make DK a complete wuss, we also find out that DK’s head is shaped like his hair.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

nine-gear crow posted:

The best episode is the one where K. Rool uses a robotic Candy Kong to shave off DK’s hair because he operates on Samson rules and not only does it make DK a complete wuss, we also find out that DK’s head is shaped like his hair.

Its a trip to be sure. Also upon rediscovering this show its French and Canadian parts stick out a lot. Just a weird, weird show.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Groovelord Neato posted:

Bloodborne has the best combat in video games...

Flock off, featherface.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Katt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1hHOVIkrcc

GMTK did two Boss Keys series about level design: one on the various Zelda games, one on the Metroidvanias, with bonus episodes on Hollow Knight and Dark Souls.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Didn't Miyazaki literally say somewhere that one of the inspirations for Dark Souls was Zelda.

End boss Of SGaG* posted:

It really grinds my gears when people call souls games metroidvanias. You don't get abilities or items that change how you traverse or interact with the world. Okay, in the barest technical sense you do, and bad metroidvanias have abilities that are just glorified keys. But dark souls only gives you the same ways to interact with the environment as doom: you can open one way doors or find keys, barely jump to adjacent or lower platforms, or get the ability to walk on damage floors. If you're generous it's like hexen with worse jumping.

Oh hey, somebody else that feels this way. There's a single meaningful example of something approximating Metroidyness: The Wood Grain Ring is hidden away in a totally different area and finding it makes Blighttown a little less harrowing. And ultimately, as is inevitably mentioned in the same breath as one or the other every single time, it's completely optional and trudging through the swamp without it isn't even that hard anyway.

The lava walk ring is hilarious because 99.9% of what you need it for is placed immediately after the boss that drops it. The all of 2~ lava-bound items that precede it don't even strictly require it. And its one additional effect is little more than a cute easter egg.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Yhara zayd-"An Unnecessary Trailer Review: The Craft - Legacy"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS1zpJOENUU

Implicitly Pretentious-"The Weird Ways to Adapt Mary Jane | Video Essay"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJUztLHLnlM

ReignBot- "Stories From Our Disturbing World | Episode 5"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QQlBtyxP18

Iambic Pentameter
Sep 21, 2017

If you live outside of Canada, you seriously have no idea how much they played that god drat DKC cartoon over here, Canadian TV channels have an obligation to air like 50% Canadian made programming per day which lead to a lot of really bad trash playing nonstop, Donkey Kong cartoon included

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Maggie Mae Fish - American Desert: Breaking Bad & Punishment Park [EDITED]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFEoyFTxnVM

Maggie's first version got age restricted by YouTube because of "violence"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Iambic Pentameter posted:

If you live outside of Canada, you seriously have no idea how much they played that god drat DKC cartoon over here, Canadian TV channels have an obligation to air like 50% Canadian made programming per day which lead to a lot of really bad trash playing nonstop, Donkey Kong cartoon included

I remember seeing it on Teletoon in the 00s and thought it was still being made only to learn much later that it was made in the mid to late 90s. That's how much and for how long they reran it on Canadian TV.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
The animation looked really bad, even at the time. I remember renting The Legend of the Crystal Coconut from Blockbuster at age 6 or whatever, and DK looked so weird I couldn't even watch the thing.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Arcsquad12 posted:

A lot of the music from that show is unreasonably catchy.

Pirate's Scorn is burned into my brain until the day I die.

I'm pretty sure some of them were even made into music videos separate from the show, they would play them on Teletoon between commercial breaks sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/Hbomberguy/status/1311831929235427338