Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

The Love Guru was never popular. Napoleon Dynamite would be a better example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i think The Love Guru was being used as an example of unsuccessfully going back to the well, which, kinda, yeah

it was an attempt to make another "Mike Myers does dumb voices" comedy after the time for those had long passed

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I worked with a very nice lady from Kazakhstan from 2010-14 and hearing people yell half-remembered Borat lines at her when they found out where she was from really ruined the movie for me.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

i think The Love Guru was being used as an example of unsuccessfully going back to the well, which, kinda, yeah

it was an attempt to make another "Mike Myers does dumb voices" comedy after the time for those had long passed

Ah, gotcha.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I brought a date to watch Bruno in the theaters when I was in UK and let's just say that meat spin dot gif did not compel her to do a second date

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The Love Guru becomes a lot more depressing when you find out how it got made. I assumed it was some contractual obligation thing for Myers. That he got roped into some dogshit script or something. Nope. It was a loving passion project for him and he saw it as a tribute to his own father. Which is so much worse.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Maybe he hated his father, which would make his plan a success.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Yes, this is what I meant. Love Guru is the “sequel” that was released too late for Myers-mania.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

The Love Guru becomes a lot more depressing when you find out how it got made. I assumed it was some contractual obligation thing for Myers. That he got roped into some dogshit script or something. Nope. It was a loving passion project for him and he saw it as a tribute to his own father. Which is so much worse.

He literally says everything he's ever done was a tribute to his father. Wayne's World, Austin Powers, Fat Bastard, Love Guru, his cameo in Inglorious Basterds.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Where's The Love 2uru?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Snowman_McK posted:

The plot being about making the Leafs win the Stanley Cup may have been a tip off to that.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

A Borat sequel can work seeing as the the current US government is a sequel to Bush 2.0 (with Obama/Bruno being a spinoff).

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I have basically no interest in the Borat character but I'm extremely interested in seeing how Into The poo poo SBC gets.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Eggnogium posted:

Yes, this is what I meant. Love Guru is the “sequel” that was released too late for Myers-mania.

I think you mean Goldmember

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

feedmyleg posted:

Also a good fit for that argument, but at least that one was part of a franchise and there were certain audience expectations. It's Eddie Murphy doing Norbit vs. Dr. Doolittle 4 (I don't know how many Dr. Doolittles there are.)

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

A page late on the Amazing Spider-man 2 talk, but...

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1311745436806451201

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Is asm 2 worth watching?

I watched project power, other than the excruciating ott violence all I felt was the show definitely exists, yeah

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Is asm 2 worth watching?

It's not. Most of the movie is either drama about Peter's parents or setting up one of a dozen planned spinoffs.

It's bad, yo.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
The ultimate summary of ASM2 is that Paul Giamatti plays a villain who bookends the film and yet you never get any payoff for how this russian mook from the beginning of the film is now in a mechanical Rhino suit at the end.

And it cuts to black before you even see the two trade blows, because GOD DAMNIT SAVE IT FOR THE SPINOFF. That's the ASM2 promise: save it for the spinoffs!

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I brought a date to watch Bruno in the theaters when I was in UK and let's just say that meat spin dot gif did not compel her to do a second date

I worked at a movie theater when that came out. We had to start giving out refunds that normally we wouldn’t give out because it went against our policy of customers staying for a certain amount of the film- mostly for that scene.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Bruno was kind of an awkward follow-up to Borat partially because I don't think Cohen, as a British man, realized the full implications of how he was problematically loving around with the unique intersection of race and homophobia in America. I know that sentence sounds kind of hurf blurf, but let me try to explain. A good portion of Bruno involves Cohen using a black child as a punchline for his jokes, specifically when he appears before a mostly black talk show audience to show off his "degenerate gay" ways of mistreating the child. I'm sure that Cohen thought this was funny as gently caress because it was him once again presenting a caricature of "the other" to Americans and them buying it as real, but he was doing it to African American people which has a whole lot of baggage when it comes to both homophobia within certain black communities and also baggage having to do with white people adopting and raising black kids. The people he was lamp-shading had a lot of reasons to be genuinely angry with him, but he presents them as being just as unreasonable and silly as the usual white rednecks he targets.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

END ME SCOOB posted:

The ultimate summary of ASM2 is that Paul Giamatti plays a villain who bookends the film and yet you never get any payoff for how this russian mook from the beginning of the film is now in a mechanical Rhino suit at the end.

And it cuts to black before you even see the two trade blows, because GOD DAMNIT SAVE IT FOR THE SPINOFF. That's the ASM2 promise: save it for the spinoffs!

They also kept putting that final slo-mo scene in trailers and ads, so you totally knew it was coming and it had zero pay-off.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
ASM2 wasn’t very good but Foxx was fine as Electro and his inner monologue being expressed through dubstep was memorable.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ASM2 is essentially the Unviersal Dark Universe of superhero movies.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

feedmyleg posted:

I mean it grossed $300 million. Might have been disastrous if it came out even one year later though.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I thought Goldmember had some fun gags although it was weaker overall, like the English-English subtitle gag: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWUaT5ovZ50

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

The first Austin Powers is a fuckin banger. That's still a great comedy. I think by Goldmember you have definitely extracted all of the blood out of that stone though, I'm not sure what else they could do to parody a genre that hasn't had a movie made in decades -- unless you pivot to making fun of modern spy movies instead.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Detective No. 27 posted:

ASM2 is essentially the Unviersal Dark Universe of superhero movies.

Still say they needed Abbot and Costello as the Nick Fury.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Mierenneuker posted:

They also kept putting that final slo-mo scene in trailers and ads, so you totally knew it was coming and it had zero pay-off.

I think it was for ASM 2 that someone just gathered all of the trailers and was able to pretty much stitch together the movie. I want to say they were so nervous that they put over 30 minutes of footage out from announcement to release.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Electro and his inner monologue being expressed through dubstep was memorable.

This is all I remember about ASM2 and I liked it. But also the dubstep is just "Itsy Bitsy Spider" which is kinda on the nose.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Somehow this passed me by but Robert Zemeckis remade The Witches? With Anne Hathaway and Octavia Spencer and Stanley Tucci? With Guillermo Del Toro on the screenplay? And it's dropping onto HBO Max this month?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeHEuiVqn34

This looks fun. I'm down for it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Cacator posted:

He literally says everything he's ever done was a tribute to his father. Wayne's World, Austin Powers, Fat Bastard, Love Guru, his cameo in Inglorious Basterds.

I mean, all but one of those things is pretty much drawing from the same well, so it entirely tracks that Myers' dad has a dumb sense of humor and loves all of his son's stuff.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vandar posted:

Somehow this passed me by but Robert Zemeckis remade The Witches? With Anne Hathaway and Octavia Spencer and Stanley Tucci? With Guillermo Del Toro on the screenplay? And it's dropping onto HBO Max this month?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeHEuiVqn34

This looks fun. I'm down for it.

The HBO Max part is new, it was supposed to be in theaters.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
James Bond has been delayed again lol

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just put it out on streaming, Bond movies are evergreen money makers so who cares how much it makes in theaters.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Man they were really cranking up the marketing in the last couple weeks too. Cursed

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

A Bond movie runs into problem as a PVOD streaming opportunity since, unlike Trolls or Mulan or The Witches, it’s a movie that has two other heavy partners on the picture in EON and MGM whereas the other three movies are all internal productions. There’s likely a lot of contractual entanglements built under the assumption that this thing would play in theaters with home video revenue coming later (and maybe more heavily weighed to Uni as EON and MGM would have presumably made the lion(:dadjoke:)’s share of profits from the theatrical; in other words, they get the upfront money, but Uni gets the long tail) that now would have to be page one re-negotiated since all of it is technically “home video” revenue in that case. It probably gets real messy real quick.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Did Green Knight get shelved? Apart from Bond and TENET it was the only movie I was looking forward to and a smaller film like that seems perfect for VOD.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The new Bond date put it up against F9 and F9 producers blinked, pushing it back to May.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Huh, I was confused by F9 blinking, since I remember the story about both franchises last movies being Spectre was a disappointment and F8 being a success but it's looks like they were neck and neck for US domestic box office.