Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I tried out MK11 because I enjoy watching it on twitch and found that I am really bad at it, like can't even block reliably or beat a computer on normal. Are the other fighting games around right now more of the same? Is tekken the same in its need for lightning quick reflexes or is it more forgiving? Am I just getting too old for this poo poo?

There is no such thing as too old. Also no such thing as too slow reflexes. Other games don't have block buttons and block buttons are, frankly, satanic.

To extrapolate a bit I think having a block button makes defense much more difficult to pick up even if it eliminates cross ups. Just moving to back is much more natural and requires less processing and puts defense on the same hand as your movement.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I am almost 40 and have always been poo poo at fight games. I exist in a perpetual state of being better than casuals but way worse than people who are good at games. Doesn't matter though because fight games are good and fun and you can always learn a little each time you play.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Those guys putting our your favourite 3S footage where you go "drat I should play 3S" for the 30th time in 5 years are all old as poo poo and they don't seem too hampered by it. Daigo's practically a greybeard and is doing fine in SFV.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
Yeah fighting games are a weird exception from e-sports where the average age of a evo finalist is 30

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

flatluigi posted:

usually it's more people getting bummed that their pet favorite character didn't get in

I will know vengeance. Dante will be in Smash one day ... !!!

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I thought it was embarrassing to put pachislot characters in KOF14, but it's not so bad now in comparison

Thanks Nintendo

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Smoking Crow posted:

I thought it was embarrassing to put pachislot characters in KOF14, but it's not so bad now in comparison

Thanks Nintendo

:nallears:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Hekk posted:

I am almost 40 and have always been poo poo at fight games. I exist in a perpetual state of being better than casuals but way worse than people who are good at games. Doesn't matter though because fight games are good and fun and you can always learn a little each time you play.

Same. I'll die trying to hit akira's one frame knee consistently and idgaf

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Same. I'll die trying to hit akira's one frame knee consistently and idgaf

i have never, ever hit it on purpose i am jealous of your execution!!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Artelier posted:

i have never, ever hit it on purpose i am jealous of your execution!!

the doa5 version is 3 frames iirc

still redonk

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Roth posted:

People complaining about Smash's roster all believe themselves to be experts on the cultural impact of every game franchise that gets a character added, how good the games are, and whether or not that qualifies them to be up there with Ice Climbers.

i will always remember one of the giant bomb guys going on an extended rant about how 'sorry, but the fire emblem characters just ARENT nintendo' and then, five seconds after he was done, asking who king dedede was

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

can someone explain to me WHY neelix is the only character in the game with a kof94 dodge and why it has an animation where he does a stupid dance with ladies in swimsuits???

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
I don’t care about that but I really loving wish the twitch monsters would stop talking about how neelix is barefoot everytime he gets a grab off

And I get that the fujioshis buy the skins and all but why is Spock still S+ tier? Level 3 xfactor into Vulcan rage trigger super can clean through teams no problem, and it’s more broken than the other top tiers like dark sisko or hidden missles Kira assist/dr crusher ghost fists

drjuggalo fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Oct 2, 2020

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

drjuggalo posted:

I don’t care about that but I really loving wish the twitch monsters would stop talking about how neelix is barefoot everytime he gets a grab off

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think i've seen that same resentment towards all sorts of characters. Some people have really strong opinions about the Smash roster.

I remember a bunch of people making fun of the kids for not knowing who Terry was when he was announced (not necessarily anyone in this thread), and now I'm seeing those same people getting salty about Steve, which is pretty funny. I'm not a fan of the character myself, but there are plenty of other characters that I love in the game, so why get mad? Not every character has to cater to me directly, and that's okay!

drjuggalo posted:

And I get that the fujioshis buy the skins and all but why is Spock still S+ tier? Level 3 xfactor into Vulcan rage trigger super can clean through teams no problem, and it’s more broken than the other top tiers like dark sisko or hidden missles Kira assist/dr crusher ghost fists

I'm still mad that Tuvok is bottom tier. Worst Vulcan Rage in the game!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Endorph posted:

i will always remember one of the giant bomb guys going on an extended rant about how 'sorry, but the fire emblem characters just ARENT nintendo' and then, five seconds after he was done, asking who king dedede was

I can never get enough of how people literally paid to talk about video games are the worst at it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I tried getting Singhs bnb combo down for like an hour but I keep missing with Genesis Device at the end and eventually I was so mad I was just incoherently screaming his name

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Played a couple hours of 2k2um in training mode trying some of the cast again. Man it's fun even if I'm insanely bad at it.

So far I think I've found 2 characters I like:
Kasumi Todoh is the character I really enjoyed last I played the game, and messing around with her more I can see why she's considered one of the top tiers. Her command grab leading into tons of damage with no whiff animation is completely insane, and the fact that she can combo into it just makes it more ridiculous

I really like playing Angel as well, but I don't really get how you're supposed to hit her full unchained combos. I just realized last night before I stopped that there are apparently specific linkers that chain into each other, so I presume I just need to do them faster. It feels like I get pushed out way too far to continue beyond the first unchained linker? She's so flashy though, and her HDM (I think?) where she does the elbow drop owns super hard. She also seems really hard though so I suppose I'm gonna get my rear end kicked for awhile

Not sure on a third yet. Hoping to find another kinda easier person to pick up that still has some of that flash.

The game is really fun though

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Elvis_Maximus posted:

The game is really fun though

Yup, I'm trash but having a blast and there's plenty of people to play against.

Ended up clicking the most with Yuri and Mature. Sloted K' as 2nd because :effort: but I might swap him for Xiangfei.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Man it's fun even if I'm insanely bad at it.

SNK.txt right there

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I really like playing Angel as well, but I don't really get how you're supposed to hit her full unchained combos.

You're not supposed to, any combo using them usually only uses one or two at a time.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Lynx Winters posted:

You're not supposed to, any combo using them usually only uses one or two at a time.

Aren't you supposed to use UC opener, into linker into finisher?

I always seem to be too far away to use the finisher, but I'm also probably using the wrong ones tbf considering I just started playing her last night lol

Do you happen to have an example bnb or UC string?

Maybe I need to think of it more as a mixup tool though

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I never really played her except in random select, but IIRC a basic one you can do is back forward LK, down forward LP, qcf HP.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Aren't you supposed to use UC opener, into linker into finisher?

I always seem to be too far away to use the finisher, but I'm also probably using the wrong ones tbf considering I just started playing her last night lol

Do you happen to have an example bnb or UC string?

Maybe I need to think of it more as a mixup tool though

You usually use it to end with the grab in this version, I think. So fwd+LK, down+P, fwd+K, qcf+HP will work I think if you do it quick enough? The grab might whiff, it's been a while since I played 2K2 UM.

I kinda hope they release a PSN port of 2K2 UM. Dunno if netcode translates like that, though. It'd be funny for it to be the PS5's first fighting game.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

There's a big SNK sale on Fanatical for the next week including KoF02UM and KoFXIII for five bucks each. If anybody doesn't have the games now would be a great time to pick them up! Especially 02 because of the whole rollback thing.

Side note, are any of you goons interested in the game but don't have it yet? I bought up as many copies as they would let me (lol they cut me off eventually) so I have a few left to give away, I think two or three 02UM and one XIII. You have to actually PLAY it though. Steam versions only.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

night slime posted:

You usually use it to end with the grab in this version, I think. So fwd+LK, down+P, fwd+K, qcf+HP will work I think if you do it quick enough? The grab might whiff, it's been a while since I played 2K2 UM.

I kinda hope they release a PSN port of 2K2 UM. Dunno if netcode translates like that, though. It'd be funny for it to be the PS5's first fighting game.

I know there are other Code Mystics games on PS4: Garou, Samsho V Special, Last Blade 2, but I don't know if those games have the rollback netcode/any other updates from the PC versions.

Also, I think at this point, the only Code Mystics game on Steam that doesn't have rollback is '98 Ultimate Match. Am I missing anything? I know there's still some other SNK games like Last Blade 1 but those are Dotemu ports so I've kinda just given up on those unless Code Mystics makes a brand new PS4 version they backport like Last Blade 2.

FanaticalMilk fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 3, 2020

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

FanaticalMilk posted:

I know there are other Code Mystics games on PS4: Garou, Samsho V Special, Last Blade 2, but I don't know if those games have the rollback netcode/any other updates from the PC versions.

They do!

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
Hori just announced a new fightstick and fightpad for the Xbox Series X

https://stores.horiusa.com/fighting-stick-designed-for-xbox-series-x-s-xbox-one/

https://stores.horiusa.com/fighting-commander-octa-designed-for-xbox-series-x-s-xbox-one/

I'm not a fan of that thumbstick but I'll consider making the octa my next pc fightpad

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

hori fightpads are usually good and cheap so im glad theyre doing it, but what fighting games are on series x

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
killer instinct, killer instinct 2 and killer instinct 2013

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

hori fightpads are usually good and cheap so im glad theyre doing it, but what fighting games are on series x

KI

also those usually have decent pc connectivity but everything does now so its a moot point

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Its all back compatible, so, Tekken 7 with less appalling load times.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

KI

also those usually have decent pc connectivity but everything does now so its a moot point
Xbox Series controllers are back compatible with Xbox One and apparently they'll also work on PC and smartphones.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I feel like the scene is going to still be on ps4s when in-person tournaments start to come around again and will stay that way until a big game next gen is released and there's not much on the way it seems.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

They should switch to PS5 immediately to cut down loading times. If a game like Tekken 7 sees improvements like outer worlds did you'd save 50 seconds or more on some of the loads. Over the life of a tournament thats a huge and not ignorable time save

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind

Barudak posted:

They should switch to PS5 immediately to cut down loading times. If a game like Tekken 7 sees improvements like outer worlds did you'd save 50 seconds or more on some of the loads. Over the life of a tournament thats a huge and not ignorable time save

buying a bunch of ps5s is expensive tho

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/DeepLeffen/status/1283062445444128776

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

euphemism posted:

buying a bunch of ps5s is expensive tho

also PS5 are huge as gently caress and are going to suck to transport lol

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Hace posted:

also PS5 are huge as gently caress and are going to suck to transport lol

I can fit my stick, a ps4, a power cable, an hdmi cable, and a power stip in my stick bag with room for a backup tshirt just in case. Doesn't seem too much to fit a ps5 in there instead of a ps4. Worst case scenario is that I bring my gym duffle bag just for the ps5.

It's not bad unless you're using public transport, so all 5 of you guys in the USA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I suspect the new consoles being both awkwardly sized and fairly expensive during a plague-rattled economy will result in the community - and in-person tournaments, whenever and whereever they return - being slow to transition to the next-gen.