Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Well I have good news for you about The Invisible Man. She (Una O'Connor) is in it, she's even more camp and hysterical, and she's in a larger role.

There’s one of her screams in Invisible Man that is super loud, like too much. I think it’s when she’s running down a street or something. Not knocking Whale’s masterpiece but it’s pretty jarring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gavok posted:

I'm going to be interviewing the director of the WNUF Halloween Special. Anyone have any suggestions for questions to ask?

Ask him if he's heard of the Scream Stream.

Actually just ask him how much research the actors had to do to capture the 80s TV attitude, because they're pitch perfect. And ask him if he used Video Toaster for the graphic effects!

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Speaking of Bride of Frankenstein I watched it for the first time last week and already i have to rewatch it. I was really thrown off by it not being anything I expected and ended up being put off for a large part of it. Seems like everyone only references the last ten minutes of the movie and for good reason. Didn’t expect to see Patorius having uh, little people in jars or whatever that was??

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

weekly font posted:

Speaking of Bride of Frankenstein I watched it for the first time last week and already i have to rewatch it. I was really thrown off by it not being anything I expected and ended up being put off for a large part of it. Seems like everyone only references the last ten minutes of the movie and for good reason. Didn’t expect to see Patorius having uh, little people in jars or whatever that was??

They aren’t people they’re homunculuses (homunculi?). That confused the hell out of me as a kid.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

From Beyond rules.

The performances are all great and fun.

I was expecting goopy. I was expecting gory. I was not expecting so much horny. Although now I know that Lovecraft had nothing to do with 90% of the story here, that makes a lot more sense.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Any word on this? It drops tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2yfp6oj2hw

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I was going to recommend a book of short stories based around From Beyond called Resonator that one of my friends had a story in, but looks like it’s not available anymore despite being a kindle book

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Jedit posted:

Any word on this? It drops tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2yfp6oj2hw

That looks fun as hell.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Retro Futurist posted:

I was going to recommend a book of short stories based around From Beyond called Resonator that one of my friends had a story in, but looks like it’s not available anymore despite being a kindle book

It's £3.89 on Kindle in the UK, if this is the one you mean

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
http://thewonderofitall.xyz/hundreds-of-pixelated-dead-bodies/2020/10/1/1-the-last-broadcast

Keep an eye on this series for October, 31 days, 31 podcasts about found footage.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Tarnop posted:

It's £3.89 on Kindle in the UK, if this is the one you mean

Yeah that's the one. Weird, as far as I know it's Canadian (or at least north American) so not sure why it's available on Amazon UK and not here

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Well I have good news for you about The Invisible Man. She (Una O'Connor) is in it, she's even more camp and hysterical, and she's in a larger role.

Una O'Connor is one of the best things about the Universal monster movies.

She also plays Maid Marian's attendant in the 1938 Robin Hood with Errol Flynn, where she's more worry-wort than frantic town gossip but still good in the role.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

http://thewonderofitall.xyz/hundreds-of-pixelated-dead-bodies/2020/10/1/1-the-last-broadcast

Keep an eye on this series for October, 31 days, 31 podcasts about found footage.

I like found footage! I just bought ‘The Sacrament’ and ‘The Taking of Deborah Logan’ - I’ve seen them both, but I figured they belonged in my collection.

Edit - is that podcast available on the iOS podcasts app anywhere?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Xenomrph posted:

I like found footage! I just bought ‘The Sacrament’ and ‘The Taking of Deborah Logan’ - I’ve seen them both, but I figured they belonged in my collection.

Edit - is that podcast available on the iOS podcasts app anywhere?

I'm on Android but I have the RSS feed link if that helps:

https://allunits.libsyn.com/rss

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

Watched You're Next for the first of my 31 Days of Halloween. It's not scary but man it's so entertaining, I love it.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Started the month by watching original Suspiria for the first time (never saw the remake).

Italian dubbing practices are... something, aren't they? Saw it with the English Atmos mix and none of the American actors dialogue were in sync & the flat ADR for the Germans and Italians was kinda distracting to the point of molding the movie towards the cheese side instead of the esoteric.

Then I went back and rewatched a few scenes in Italian. I get not many were actually speaking it on set, but holy poo poo does it add a layer of creepy other-worldliness that's so much more effective.

Also, one of the best "cut to end credits" I've ever seen.

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007
SHIGERU MIYAMOTO IS MY ILLEGITIMATE FATHER!!!

Ambitious Spider posted:

Got an early birthday gift of an all access pass to the Salem Horror Fest. So illl be binging a ton of new horror movies over the next week.

Hype!

https://www.salemhorror.com/program

Any flicks I should definitely make sure to check out?

I just watched The Strings and really, really loved it. It’s just about the slowest of slow burn movies but it has a killer soundtrack and wonderful feeling of isolation. Some spotty acting but it didn’t detract that much. Plus the actress is actually a musician and wrote and performed all that music so I’m stoked to dive into her catalog.

And if you haven’t seen Starfish (now streaming on Shudder) this would make a great double feature with it.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Gary the Llama posted:

I just watched The Strings and really, really loved it. It’s just about the slowest of slow burn movies but it has a killer soundtrack and wonderful feeling of isolation. Some spotty acting but it didn’t detract that much. Plus the actress is actually a musician and wrote and performed all that music so I’m stoked to dive into her catalog.

And if you haven’t seen Starfish (now streaming on Shudder) this would make a great double feature with it.

I really liked The Strings too. Felt the same way about the music. Amber's Descent which is another musician goes off to solitude to write movie in the fest is not so good. Well, it's actually not too terrible until one of the dumbest endings I've ever seen.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I wasn't prepared for it to be so Lisa Frank sparkly, it looks like it could be fun.

e: This isn't movie related, but it may be of interest to people. Dragula is coming to Shudder! Hook that spooky horror drag up to my veins

Oh wow I want a new season from Shudder that would be sweet. I quickly went from putting up with bad production silliness to desperately smashing the Next Episode button in my watch through of previous series.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

MasqueradeOverture posted:

I love giallos because they waste no time after the reveal. Bad guy is mid death? Wrap it up, time to go home.

Definitely worth watching the 2018 version too, it’s almost a completely different film and feels like it was made after reading a summary of the original off a napkin.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

feels like it was made after reading a summary of the original off a napkin.

What every remake should be as far as I'm concerned. Give a writer/director a logline or summary then let them go off in their own direction without having to worry about ~honoring~ the original, pleasing the fans, or more likely just ripping it off but doing everything worse.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yup agreed, it’s an approach that worked well and certainly better than going for a shot for shot remake. Just completely throwing out the visuals for Suspiria rather than trying to emulate it alone is a huge step.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

MasqueradeOverture posted:

I think that's the first Hammer Frankenstein movie for me. I need to go rewatch that just for the ending.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Hammer movies had such great endings. They would light a house on fire and within 60 seconds the credits were rolling.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Susperia remake is better than the original. Just needed more bone distortion death dancing and less grandpa Tilda story time and it would have been my movie of the year.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yup agreed, it’s an approach that worked well and certainly better than going for a shot for shot remake. Just completely throwing out the visuals for Suspiria rather than trying to emulate it alone is a huge step.

I've long felt that the only thing that remakes should be able to go off of is the poster. It would result in some films which pay off the promise of the poster in the way the original never did and get to be a completely original movie.

That kinda goes out the window after poster design died in the 90s, but who wants to remake something post-1990 anyway?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Remind me again, which of the Bad Bens are good? I saw the first one and quite liked it, hoping for more balding middle aged men being mildly irritated at hauntings getting in the way of house sales.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

tonedef131 posted:

Susperia remake is better than the original. Just needed more bone distortion death dancing and less grandpa Tilda story time and it would have been my movie of the year.

Yep, when I think back to the film (only seen it once), the old man subplot is the only element that sours my feelings towards it. I think you could literally cut out 100% of that subplot and the film would only benefit from it.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

married but discreet posted:

Remind me again, which of the Bad Bens are good? I saw the first one and quite liked it, hoping for more balding middle aged men being mildly irritated at hauntings getting in the way of house sales.

The Final Chapter has Tom Riley acting his usual self but with a supporting cast.
The Mandela Effect has Tom Riley checking out the Steelmanville Road purchase for the "first time" over and over with varying degrees of moody sweariness.
The Way In has Tom Riley return alone to the home "doing it for the money".

As long as Tom Riley is in the Bad Ben movie then it's a watchable Bad Bed movie.

The Hausu Usher fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 2, 2020

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I'm sure I'm late to the game, but I just learned about Brandon Cronenberg's new film Possessor. It totally looks like my jam. Now where the hell can I watch it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyRkoL45JGk

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I watched all of the Paranormal Activities and they're all fine. The 2nd part is probably my least favorite but it's the one I've seen the most also so I may just be tired of it. I have a special place in my heart for Marked Ones. The characters remind me a lot of the people I grew up around and the setting also. I really enjoyed it.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Kicked off the month with The Invitation followed by The Perfection. Neither was amazing, but both were fun.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

married but discreet posted:

The correct order is 1, 3, 6, 7. Those get progressively better (and funnier) as you go along, with 7 being peak quality.

Bad Ben 5 is optional if you like 1 & 3, and want more of that. It's a series of short films that vary in quality, but one's excellent and it's a nice lead-up to 6.

2, 4 and 8 are not recommended. 2 is a 'prequel' that's just unwatchable. It was made before Bach hit his stride as a director, and the 'lore' never becomes relevant. 4 & 8 are basically spinoffs with new characters. They're nice concepts, but end up extremely repetitive because there just isn't enough material for feature-length. 8 is at least mildly neat because it's a compilation of fan films, but each of the fans was seemingly given the exact same plot to riff on.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 2, 2020

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Spatulater bro! posted:

I'm sure I'm late to the game, but I just learned about Brandon Cronenberg's new film Possessor. It totally looks like my jam. Now where the hell can I watch it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyRkoL45JGk

I think it’s first being released in some theaters; hopefully it hits streaming/VOD soon

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
For those like me who use Shudder via the Prime add-on channel, the Vincent Price movies took an extra day to appear there but they're up now.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Recommend me more movies like The Creeping Terror and The Asphyx ( I've watched all the Quatermass films, Hammer Frankenstein). Need more scientisty horror which I love. Preferably prior to 1979 so I can meet my horror challenge.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Recommend me more movies like The Creeping Terror and The Asphyx ( I've watched all the Quatermass films, Hammer Frankenstein). Need more scientisty horror which I love. Preferably prior to 1979 so I can meet my horror challenge.

Check out The Creeping Flesh, which is available on Prime.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Basebf555 posted:

Check out The Creeping Flesh, which is available on Prime.

I'm watching it now lol I miswrote Creeping Terror instead of Creeping Flesh. There's a lot of Creeping movies!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://twitter.com/FreddyInSpace/status/1312066673214660612

Yayyy Tim Curry! Although I really question some of these inclusions as being in any way October-related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Gog (1954) is a very early killer-robot movie that's also a sort of proto-X-Files.